CS2
    mtbr member

Period Correct Mods

I'm trying to keep things VRC looking. Component wise how much newer of a group could you put on an 86 Stumpjumper and still have a vintage looking bike? That was the last year for the friction shift M700 series. I was thinking an 87 or 88 6 sp XT or Deore II group wouldn't be too sacrilegous. Any thoughts?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I'm trying to keep things VRC looking. Component wise how much newer of a group could you put on an 86 Stumpjumper and still have a vintage looking bike? That was the last year for the friction shift M700 series. I was thinking an 87 or 88 6 sp XT or Deore II group wouldn't be too sacrilegous. Any thoughts?
    Ride whats in the parts bin.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Ride whats in the parts bin.
    There's a lot of parts in that box. No matter what I do it isn't going to make a huge difference performance wise. I'd just like to keep it with a Vintage theme.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    M700.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    M700.
    That's what's on it now. Where's the fun in keeping it stock?

mtbr member
    Ha, I am boring. Besides, you will be able to run it in the friction only class at Keyesville. Don't tell but I have M730 on my TimberComp which per the serial numbers is probably an 86ish. Thing is, TC's frames look the same in 87 so who really knows unless I fess up.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Ha, I am boring. Besides, you will be able to run it in the friction only class at Keyesville. Don't tell but I have M730 on my TimberComp which per the serial numbers is probably an 86ish. Thing is, TC's frames look the same in 87 so who really knows unless I fess up.
    Good thing nobody knows!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Good thing nobody knows!
    Like.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Guilty.

Way worse than what you're talking about, yet strangely sexy at the same time....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

IllumaDucati

If you can't grow a pair, you can always buy them online.

If I ever get to the point where I have to ask a bunch of people I'll never meet for permission to assemble my bicycle, I hope someone shoots me in the head.

The funniest example of this I ever saw was on Retrobike, where some guy installed a bottle cage that was a different color from the rest of the bike, took a picture of it, and started a thread about it titled Is this going too far? One of the replies was "Sadly, I'm afraid it is. Sorry, but it needed to be said."

Oh well. Carry on.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I agree with Roadster. If you're restoring a bike to show it, worry about the parts. If you're building it to ride it, use what you like.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For an 'era correct' rider upgrades a few years beyond the frame production seems trivial to me - although I agree with the sentiment if you ride it put the parts on it that you need to achieve your best ride experience/needs.

730's are only a year off from an 86 frame. 732's were not far behind. Personally I switch wheelsets out and try to stick with 7/8 speed clusters so I prefer 732's. If I rode the line between 6/7 speed clusters I'd go with 730's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aemmer View Post
    m700.
    m950

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Good thing nobody knows!
    ... but now it's gonna cost him to keep it unknown.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Guilty.

Way worse than what you're talking about, yet strangely sexy at the same time....
    I agree, it does look nice

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsters View Post
    If I ever get to the point where I have to ask a bunch of people I'll never meet for permission to assemble my bicycle, I hope someone shoots me in the head.
    I agree but I didn't ask anyone for permission. What I asked for was advise on what parts were period correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundoggy View Post
    For an 'era correct' rider upgrades a few years beyond the frame production seems trivial to me - although I agree with the sentiment if you ride it put the parts on it that you need to achieve your best ride experience/needs.

730's are only a year off from an 86 frame. 732's were not far behind. Personally I switch wheelsets out and try to stick with 7/8 speed clusters so I prefer 732's. If I rode the line between 6/7 speed clusters I'd go with 730's.
    This was the answer I was looking for. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I'm trying to keep things VRC looking.
    I think it depends on what CS2 is trying to accomplish.

Certainly if one is not trying to make things look VRC they could go as far as putting modern forks and disc brakes, tubeless tires, and wide carbon bars on a mid 90's hardtail.

To make something as well known as a Stumpy look period correct where many of us know the year by the paint scheme might be a little more challenging.

Just my thoughts.