mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Passing it on to the next generation. 1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix

I am the original owner. Custom paint from Somerville, MA. I can't describe how many lawns mowed, leaves raked, babysitting, dog walking, sweeping floors it cost me as I was a junior in high school. I bought this bike following the summer I road cross country on my first bike purchase, a Connecticut made Cannondale tourer. I obsessed about the details. Rode a few races on it. Commuted 1000s of miles and most importantly Never sold it. I have not ridden in years other than a few goofing around. I bought a WTB Phoenix years ago that I never fell in love with. I really want a new bike to get back into riding and to ride with my 8 year old twins. My daughter is considerably taller than my son, she clears the top tube. Frame is a 15" if I recall, I have a 28.5" inseam (5'8" tall) so my torso makes it up.

I shed a few tears today when she got on it. Need to order some new tires, the beads are messed up on some old panaracers.

I can't think of ANY possession that I have in my life that I have held onto for 30+ years. It is the only thing that I have moved from CT, DC, NY, CO, to Kirkland, WA.

I noticed that I have to address some surface rust underneath the seat post clamp. Other than that, it is as sweet as the day I bought it. I got rid of the locking collar bottom bracket long ago, which was the only issue I really had. Everything is original, except the chain, sprockets, brake pads, tires and tubes.

Next post update when it stops raining will be the 1996 WTB Phoenix. I never really fell in love with riding it, but the romance of the WTB names made me hold it onto it as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-30727706_10216008933325821_217611122525830440_n.jpg  

Last edited by chtucker; 04-16-2018 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Glad you held onto it all these years. I love seeing the pic. I have an 89' Wicked. Such a well made bike. I love seeing pics from my home state and even better my home city. I was born in Kirkland, WA and went to Juanita Elementary School. My grandparents used to live at the top of NE 136th St. Thanks for sharing.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    Glad you held onto it all these years. I love seeing the pic. I have an 89' Wicked. Such a well made bike. I love seeing pics from my home state and even better my home city. I was born in Kirkland, WA and went to Juanita Elementary School. My grandparents used to live at the top of NE 136th St. Thanks for sharing.
    Very, very close! My wife teaches at John Muir, we live withing walking distance up 132cnd up the hill from 124th (car dealers etc). Oh and we live on NE 136 PLACE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesome! Just awesome.
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chtucker View Post
    Very, very close! My wife teaches at John Muir, we live withing walking distance up 132cnd up the hill from 124th (car dealers etc). Oh and we live on NE 136 PLACE.
    Well, I also went to John Muir Elementary. Kindergarten or First Grade. I used to live right around the corner from it. I remember playing in the woods behind the school. Before that I lived in Snohomish off of Echo Lake Rd long before the Echo Falls Golf Course and really anyone lived out there. My old man still lives there.

I'd love to see a pic of the WTB.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    Well, I also went to John Muir Elementary. Kindergarten or First Grade. I used to live right around the corner from it. I remember playing in the woods behind the school. Before that I lived in Snohomish off of Echo Lake Rd long before the Echo Falls Golf Course and really anyone lived out there. My old man still lives there.

I'd love to see a pic of the WTB.
    Washing it up today, but here are some quick shots. A bit more thinking, I am believe I replaced the rear cantilevers as well, My heels would hit the stock brakes. Its a small frame. I thought it was a 15", but the Fat Chance Archives say the smallest wicked was a 16.5"

I remember how obsessed I was about the details, like ordering the color matched allen head screws for the water bottle cage, paying EXTRA to have the rack mounts removed from the dropouts, an up charge for the fade paint on the rear triangle. I don't recall swapping out rims, but I don't see the Mavics as being stock with the Wicked.

I recall a story about how Fat would source the brake levers early on from the bicycle shop where I worked. The bike shop was also a Puch moped dealer.

So maybe not as original as my memory recollects, but in retrospect it is crazy to me that I have held onto it so long. I rode it around yesterday, but had to give up early as the bead was coming off the rims as the tires are dry rotting. I had put new tubes in.

I never used the index shifting...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0179.jpg  

Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0178.jpg  

Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0177-1-.jpg  

Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0172.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Some outside before the wash, And apparently, I need to take some better pics when it is all cleaned up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0187-1-.jpg  

Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0186.jpg  

Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0185.jpg  

Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0182.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here come the WTB photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0193.jpg  

Passing it on to the next generation.  1987 Wicked Fat Chance Added the WTB Phoenix-img_0195.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    BTW??? I already had a forum member contact me about selling the WTB. I might, but I know that I have one of two of the holy grails of my life in my garage. While I never fell in love, road the WTB more than 50 miles, I just don't know what I would do.

There are two bike holy grails in my life, the Fat Chance, and a mid 1980s Ibis. I might consider trading the WTB for an Ibis, just because...
    https://www.ibiscycles.com/info/303030/5_fat_city/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ...I already had a forum member contact me about selling the WTB. I might, but...
    That didn't take long
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    That didn't take long
    LOL. WE knew it was coming... Cīmon guys: there are other bicycles than those wtb phoenix.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Oh so tempting... I emailed Chris Chance about a second order. How cool would that be to get a new bike 31 years later....

Are the eBay listing prices accurate of what the bike is worth? I have no clue. I will update with a build list, but if i could fund a portion of a new Fat, that would be cool.

Hmmmmmm

artistic...
    Oh so tempting... I emailed Chris Chance about a second order. How cool would that be to get a new bike 31 years later....

Are the eBay listing prices accurate of what the bike is worth? I have no clue. I will update with a build list, but if i could fund a portion of a new Fat, that would be cool.

Hmmmmmm
    That rear brake on the phoenix....
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    That rear brake on the phoenix....

Wish I had the front matching WTB grease guard hub. I think the bike would have been an SE as it has the rear brake, rear WTB hub, WTB saddle, Not sure about the bottom bracket. It has Chris King headset.

I have a local interested member which would make things quick/easy, but don't want to short myself either.

The Wicked will never leave my possession, I am just not in love/passionate about the WTB. Its really cool, but I never grew attached.

mtbr member
    She wishes her dad would get her a short quill-stem, seat moved forward & straight. Fresh spongy grips, remove the toe clips, service, maybe some gloves. That picture is a keeper.