mtbr member
    Feb 2013

A Pair of Early 90's Specialized Rockhoppers

Earlier this year, I started looking at this forum and thinking about buying a couple of old school rigid mountain bikes for my wife and myself.

After much Craigslist searching, I came across a white Rockhopper with pink decals and had to have it. The 18" frame would be good for my wife. Now, the problem was finding one for myself.

I used a couple of web sites that basically "search all of craigslist" and found a red one in Minneapolis. After writing the seller and a bit of negotiating, I got them to sell and ship it to me. What can I say. I had cabin fever and just HAD to have it.

Anyhow, over the past 10 months or so I've been tinkering and we've been riding the hell out of these old bikes and having a blast. You can see the evolution of my red bike. I am hooked on "Adventure Cycling" and really want to build up a 2014 Specialized AWOL with 2.1" tires and Shimano 105 triple group.

I've had my eye on the Specialized picture thread for a long time, and have been meaning to share these pics for a while. These are all "reposts" from instagram - if you would like to follow me: instagram.com/rosswog

Hope you enjoy!

More to come...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You should put the brooks back on it with the drop bars...... nice inexpensive rides. If you need them I think I have another set of those Diacompe brakes sitting in a box. You can have them if you want them, just cover the couple bucks shipping to you.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I took the Brooks off because my bike kept getting rained on in various situations and I didn't want to ruin itů the shaping started to feel off, and became discolored.

It was a damn comfy saddle though. Just not up to carelessly crushing miles on dirt, mud, snow, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You just have to waterproof them well. Obenauf's saddle goop is my favorite. Get that stuff on them and thoroughly worked into the leather and you can pretty much do anything to them........

mtbr member
    Wife's bike needs bar-ends.
    KOA radio: Broncos 97-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Great post, love the passion, thanks!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Cute thread
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Great pics, thanks for posting them. Those Rock Hoppers are tough bikes. They keep going for miles and miles.
    Now With Avatar!

mtbr member
    Very cool post/pics! Love the drop bar! What stem combo is that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    wow, nice bikes and shots!
    and goooo Pixburgh! i'm originally from the emlenton area...

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    Cute thread
    Totes adorbs.

Totes mcgotes.

mtbr member
    Very cool man. Glad it works for ya!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I hate to break it to you, but I think your camera might have a focusing malfunction. I've never seen so many shots blurred. Maybe it because you haven't found the "sepia" button on your photo editor yet?! Anywho, less "artistically" blurred shots, please, and more pictures of your wife.

My first mountain bike that I logged a ton of miles on is an '89 Rockhopper in 2007 or something. It was/is a great bike. Glad you guys found something that works well for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but I think your camera might have a focusing malfunction. I've never seen so many shots blurred. Maybe it because you haven't found the "sepia" button on your photo editor yet?! Anywho, less "artistically" blurred shots, please, and more pictures of your wife.

My first mountain bike that I logged a ton of miles on is an '89 Rockhopper in 2007 or something. It was/is a great bike. Glad you guys found something that works well for you.
    lol. The pictures look like that on purpose - they are iPhone photos processed with Instagram.

I never take my "real" cameras on bike rides (I take photos for a living, among other things).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    Very cool post/pics! Love the drop bar! What stem combo is that?
    It is an el cheapo Dimension quill adapter and 60 degree stem. Bars still aren't high enough for adventure bike status.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswog View Post
    I never take my "real" cameras on bike rides.
    Yeah, I've gone digital there, my "real" cameras are vintage 35mm range finders, just love shooting with these but they're old enough you don't want to jostle 'em. Currently collecting these cameras/lenses:

Aires 35 - Camerapedia
    Colorette - Camerapedia

Smooth Synchro-Compur (or Japanese ripoff of same) shutter action, top-notch late-50's German and Japanese optics. I've been restoring and digitizing old slides (and improving my Photoshop skills) the past couple of years...

Attachment 854261

Attachment 854260

...and realized I was a better photographer when I was a kid, so I hauled out my old Colorette (Xenar 50mm prime lens, light meter still works) I used to take the above shots (on Ektachrome 64) back in '82 and rediscovered the joy of film photography, and being able to make a camera do what I want it to do with my hands.

As opposed to all the drudgery of working GUI menus with my thumbs, on gear that doesn't give half the results unless you have big bucks for digital SLR. The pictures my Colorette takes at 55 years old are as good as the ones it took at 25 years old, now twice-refurbished. As much as I love German gear, my Aires 35 IIIc camera with its fixed Coral lens takes even better pics; the fixed-body cameras show less wear than the interchangeable-lens models. My old SLR gear is nowhere near as nice, optically.

Whoops! Sorry, did I ramble on off-topic?
    KOA radio: Broncos 97-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    no problem! For me, Instagram ignites that childlike passion for snapshot pictures and celebrates the aesthetic of vintage photos. Win / Win.