mtbr member
    Nov 2011

To paint or Not to paint

Hi folks. I'm wondering what effect repainting a vintage frame would have on resale value? I know it probably depends upon how bad original paint is. To be specific, I have a mid-'80's Ritchey Timberwolf that has the usual scuffs, scratches, and driveside chainstay's paint has been taking a beating for 30 years (paint only, frame"s OK). I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon, but should I just leave it as is in case I do so new owner could do whatever they wanted with it?
    Sorry, post count isn't high enough yet to post pics, so just asking in general terms. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yea...I wouldn't paint that personally...

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Agree. Don't repaint it.

If you're concerned about exposed metal oxidizing, you could do some touch up with colour matched paint and preserve the paint with a good wax. At this point preservation, rather than restoration, should be the goal.

Patina is a good thing. It's only original once.

I have a ratty De Rosa road bike frame. Same deal, chainstay and usual wear areas are rough as guts, but the main triangle isn't too bad. I wanted to refinish it, but refrained. I ended up buying another one that was rough but had already been resprayed once in its life. That one got the full house make-over with fresh paint, decals and clear coat. But the first one will remain in its state of rugged patina beauty.

Grumps

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I repainted a Ritchey Ultra but that frame was in horrible shape. I also repainted a Timber Comp that was pretty bad. I had an original decal set though so once it was done I got a very good price for it when I sold it but I still didn't quite break even on it. I learned my lesson. Unless it is really bad just leave it alone.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

human dehumidifier
    I'm working toward repainting my Phoenix, only because the paint started to peel off. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. Once it's re-painted it's not really that interesting to a collector any more, if that matters.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the perspectives! I'm going to leave it as is. May as well display the battle scars proudly.