Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars

Stan once posted a picture of him and his old car. I really enjoyed that picture. You guys got muscle cars? GTOs, Mustangs, Porsches, etc?

I actually know nothing about cars but I do like the lines and headlights of classic cars. If you guys owned one and have a picture, can you post them up?

I would start with my Dad's *****in' Camaro but I can't find it yet....

velocipede technician
    We've become off camber
    looking for 20-21" P team

the new Gilbert Grape
    Back before the days of digital photography I had a '66 Mustang, a '70 Barracuda, and a couple of Z cars. I may have old school film pictures of these somewhere, but not sure where. But here's the last two VRC cars that I've owned.

I owned this '67 Firebird convertible from '94 until '00. For the first three years that I owned it was my only car (although there was about 6 months during that time where my old CJ-7 was stilling running). The car was painted a faded canary yellow when I bought it near Boulder Creek, CA. It took quite a bit of work and time to get it looking nice. It was a fun car, but with a 326 engine paired to a 2-speed automatic it wasn't too fast - even after adding a 4-bbl carb.

Here is the last of three Z's that I owned. In college I had an orange '70 240 (which was a rust bucket), and after college I had a nice 260Z (that never was as fun as the 240s) but it was stolen while I was in NYC and it never turned up. The green one was mine for a couple of years from 2003 to 2004. The body was in good shape when I bought it, but it barely ran. I was able to confirm that the compression was good, so I bought it. It had to replace the carbs with rebuilt side-drafts and spent quite a bit of time tuning it up but it ended up running great. It was the most fun of the three that I owned. I sometimes wished I'd not sold this one.

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Those are neat.

And H...really. I think old cars, music, and movies go with old bikes. Feel free to start a thread with a cool bike of yours.

mtbr member
    This is the 1931 Chevy that my father and his brother drove in high school. It becomes my responsibility once I get a spare garage that's not full of bikes and machine tools.

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-31chevy2.jpg

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-31chevy1.jpg

This is another car in the family, a 1958 Porsche 356B.

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-porsche1_1.jpg
    Last edited by DoubleCentury; 01-30-2013 at 11:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here's a picture of my project pickup and my dad's. Mine is the blue 54' gmc and his is the 37' chevy OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-projectsweb.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-impalaweb.jpg  

All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-wag.jpg

1957 Chevy Belair Townsman

Now that my youngest is driving this will become my daily driver again.
    Last edited by shawnw; 01-31-2013 at 07:52 PM.

VRC Illuminati
    Of all the people to start a 'cars' thread.

But I like car threads.

Interesting/fun cars over the years:
    77 F100 2wd
    79 Bronco 400 AT
    79 Bronco 351/4spd, stock save the Rancho 3", 40 Series
    66 GT Fastback, port/polished 289 block 302 heads, Shelby suspension, 4spd so on so forth.
    75 Stroppe Baja Bronco, 2" suspension lift, headers, exhaust, otherwise stock
    90 4Runner 4" ProComp/5spd, exhaust.

Last edited by Rumpfy; 01-30-2013 at 11:51 PM.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    75 Bronco is sick!!!
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Of all the people to start a 'cars' thread.

03 G35 Coupe, only as far as Nismo intake.
    I know, right? I was inspired by thinking of Double Century's 31 Chevy today. I hope you don't mind. I decided that your 03 Coupe is not very vintagy or classic or even retro and have redacted it from these historical annals. :P

edit: you did it for me!
    Last edited by girlonbike; 01-31-2013 at 01:12 PM.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    75 Bronco is sick!!!
    Yaaa, I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I know, right? I was inspired by thinking of Double Century's 31 Chevy today. I hope you don't mind. I decided that your 03 Coupe is not very vintagy or classic or even retro and have redacted it from these historical annals. :P
    Good point on the coupe.
    -eric-

mtbr member

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars

My 63 Mercury Comet I am building!OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359618036.396783.jpgOT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359618057.552938.jpg

Building the motor now!OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359618135.683278.jpg

Thanks,
    Brian.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

artistic...
    Here is my project. It's almost finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-oldcarcity0185.jpg  

want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sweetness, my other Passion Here is my 1975 911 Carrera

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-carrerafall2.jpg

mtbr member
    OK, OK...

I once thought about posting in that "Are you into other vintage areas?" thread when I first started hanging out here, but told myself "No... it's in the past - let it go!" (Basically, I've had to struggle my whole life not become a mulleted, redneck motorhead, and bikes are supposed to be my salvation.) But I'm obviously surrounded by like-minded and sympathetic people here, so what the hell. In my case, most of my life story can be told through references to old mechanical things that I've owned - right up to my current obsession with vintage mountain bikes. It's who I am, I guess, so no point in being ashamed.

Based on some of the vehicles above, it appears that great minds think alike.

In about 1980, at 14 years old, I rescued a 1967 firebird from the junkyard. I restored it in time to take it to college, and then slowly ran it back into the ground. Just like Laffeaux's, it was my only car for about 10 years - which is quite amazing considering the amount of snow where I live. Thank god for bicycles. Here's one of a few photos I have, from spring break, senior year, 1988. 400 Pontiac big block, tri-power, Muncie M22 4-speed, limited slip differential, and many shared adventures. I ruled, man:

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-keiths67firebirdescalante1988.jpg

After I had my first kid in 1991, I parked the Firebird with the intention of restoring it again some day. But when I had a 2nd kid in 2003 it became clear it was never going to happen. So I traded it for a very original 1967 Airstream Caravel, which I still have and use regularly. (Much more family-friendly hobby). During most of the interim period, I also drove a really nice 1970 Bronco, which I had to sell when I was building a home, but I can't find any pictures of it at the moment. I'll have to edit this when I locate one. But here's the airstream, from this last summer:

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-green-river-2012.jpg

Then, after having a 3rd kid in 2006, I suppose I had a mid-life crisis... and I tried the classic car thing once again - partly restoring a 1977 FJ40. But I sold it shortly after, in 2008, to put the oldest kid through college... and at that time decided/realized that tinkering with old mountain bikes, which have always been in the picture anyway as you can see, is every bit as satisfying as tinkering with old cars - plus a whole lot cheaper and healthier.

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-keiths77fj402008.jpg

I don't need to explain to anyone here why I'm attracted to "classic" things over newer, mundane alternatives - but I often think about how my preference and tastes for certain bikes - Bridgestones, Bontragers, Ibis (Ibi?), etc. - were being formed before I even understood why. I think they must represent the best of the "production class" or "working-man's" rides. In the same way that I'm not likely to own a Ferrari Barchetta or Airfloat Navigator, I don't hold out hope for a Ritchey Annapurna or a Cunningam Indian. But I can have a hell of a nice Pontiac if I want it bad enough!!!
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

OK, perhaps more...

"future" classic, my '97 993TT, last year of the handmade, air-cooled 911.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars-97_993tt.jpg  

Last edited by ICONCLS; 01-31-2013 at 05:16 PM.

human dehumidifier
    I would bore you with pictures of old Mopars but for some reason I can't get the upload images function to work.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Perhaps it's not a classic car, but I have a 2001 Audi S4 Avant that's boosted to about 480 horse. It's quick I guess...

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeferg75 View Post
    Sweetness, my other Passion Here is my 1975 911 Carrera
    1st gen SWB 911's are some of my favorites. Porsche can make that brown look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddysnack View Post
    Perhaps it's not a classic car, but I have a 2001 Audi S4 Avant that's boosted to about 480 horse. It's quick I guess...
    S4 Avants are rad.
    -eric-

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    OK, OK...

I once thought about posting in that "Are you into other vintage areas?" thread when I first started hanging out here, but told myself "No... it's in the past - let it go!" (Basically, I've had to struggle my whole life not become a mulleted, redneck motorhead, and bikes are supposed to be my salvation.) But I'm obviously surrounded by like-minded and sympathetic people here, so what the hell. In my case, most of my life story can be told through references to old mechanical things that I've owned - right up to my current obsession with vintage mountain bikes. It's who I am, I guess, so no point in being ashamed.

Based on some of the vehicles above, it appears that great minds think alike.

In about 1980, at 14 years old, I rescued a 1967 firebird from the junkyard. I restored it in time to take it to college, and then slowly ran it back into the ground. Just like Laffeaux's, it was my only car for about 10 years - which is quite amazing considering the amount of snow where I live. Thank god for bicycles. Here's one of a few photos I have, from spring break, senior year, 1988. 400 Pontiac big block, tri-power, Muncie M22 4-speed, limited slip differential, and many shared adventures. I ruled, man:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keith's67FirebirdEscalante1988.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	766979

After I had my first kid in 1991, I parked the Firebird with the intention of restoring it again some day. But when I had a 2nd kid in 2003 it became clear it was never going to happen. So I traded it for a very original 1967 Airstream Caravel, which I still have and use regularly. (Much more family-friendly hobby). During most of the interim period, I also drove a really nice 1970 Bronco, which I had to sell when I was building a home, but I can't find any pictures of it at the moment. I'll have to edit this when I locate one. But here's the airstream, from this last summer:

Name:	Green River 2012.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	766992

Then, after having a 3rd kid in 2006, I suppose I had a mid-life crisis... and I tried the classic car thing once again - partly restoring a 1977 FJ40. But I sold it shortly after, in 2008, to put the oldest kid through college... and at that time decided/realized that tinkering with old mountain bikes, which have always been in the picture anyway as you can see, is every bit as satisfying as tinkering with old cars - plus a whole lot cheaper and healthier.

Name:	Keith's77fJ402008.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	766977

I don't need to explain to anyone here why I'm attracted to "classic" things over newer, mundane alternatives - but I often think about how my preference and tastes for certain bikes - Bridgestones, Bontragers, Ibis (Ibi?), etc. - were being formed before I even understood why. I think they must represent the best of the "production class" or "working-man's" rides. In the same way that I'm not likely to own a Ferrari Barchetta or Airfloat Navigator, I don't hold out hope for a Ritchey Annapurna or a Cunningam Indian. But I can have a hell of a nice Pontiac if I want it bad enough!!!
    Best post.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

slow
    ameybrook's signature Rumpfy quote showed up on this Porsche photo on Facebook this afternoon.
    Timeline Photos | Facebook

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    ameybrook's signature Rumpfy quote showed up on this Porsche photo on Facebook this afternoon.
    Timeline Photos | Facebook
    I didn't even know what you meant until I read carefully. hahaha!

Stokeless Asshat
    That makes me sad. I just ended a relationship with a gal that has a white 94 C2, a black 01 996 4TT and a white 05 GT3. She tracks them all. I only drove the GT. Stupid fun and surprisingly easy to drive.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Sneaker man
    Love that 993 turbo up there...

i had this

2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    That fastback and I would die together. Vanilla Sky?

Edited
    Last edited by Benster; 01-31-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast