Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

OT: VRC Picture Thread of Classic Cars

23K views 154 replies 52 participants last post by  ssulljm 
#1 ·
Stan once posted a picture of him and his old car. I really enjoyed that picture. You guys got muscle cars? GTOs, Mustangs, Porsches, etc?

I actually know nothing about cars but I do like the lines and headlights of classic cars. If you guys owned one and have a picture, can you post them up?

I would start with my Dad's *****in' Camaro but I can't find it yet....

#15 ·
OK, OK...

I once thought about posting in that "Are you into other vintage areas?" thread when I first started hanging out here, but told myself "No... it's in the past - let it go!" (Basically, I've had to struggle my whole life not become a mulleted, ******* motorhead, and bikes are supposed to be my salvation.) But I'm obviously surrounded by like-minded and sympathetic people here, so what the hell. In my case, most of my life story can be told through references to old mechanical things that I've owned - right up to my current obsession with vintage mountain bikes. It's who I am, I guess, so no point in being ashamed.

Based on some of the vehicles above, it appears that great minds think alike.

In about 1980, at 14 years old, I rescued a 1967 firebird from the junkyard. I restored it in time to take it to college, and then slowly ran it back into the ground. Just like Laffeaux's, it was my only car for about 10 years - which is quite amazing considering the amount of snow where I live. Thank god for bicycles. Here's one of a few photos I have, from spring break, senior year, 1988. 400 Pontiac big block, tri-power, Muncie M22 4-speed, limited slip differential, and many shared adventures. I ruled, man:

Automotive exterior Terrain Highland Valley Automotive lighting

After I had my first kid in 1991, I parked the Firebird with the intention of restoring it again some day. But when I had a 2nd kid in 2003 it became clear it was never going to happen. So I traded it for a very original 1967 Airstream Caravel, which I still have and use regularly. (Much more family-friendly hobby). During most of the interim period, I also drove a really nice 1970 Bronco, which I had to sell when I was building a home, but I can't find any pictures of it at the moment. I'll have to edit this when I locate one. But here's the airstream, from this last summer:

Plant community Landscape Rim Bicycle wheel Plain

Then, after having a 3rd kid in 2006, I suppose I had a mid-life crisis... and I tried the classic car thing once again - partly restoring a 1977 FJ40. But I sold it shortly after, in 2008, to put the oldest kid through college... and at that time decided/realized that tinkering with old mountain bikes, which have always been in the picture anyway as you can see, is every bit as satisfying as tinkering with old cars - plus a whole lot cheaper and healthier.

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

I don't need to explain to anyone here why I'm attracted to "classic" things over newer, mundane alternatives - but I often think about how my preference and tastes for certain bikes - Bridgestones, Bontragers, Ibis (Ibi?), etc. - were being formed before I even understood why. I think they must represent the best of the "production class" or "working-man's" rides. In the same way that I'm not likely to own a Ferrari Barchetta or Airfloat Navigator, I don't hold out hope for a Ritchey Annapurna or a Cunningam Indian. But I can have a hell of a nice Pontiac if I want it bad enough!!!

#20 ·
OK, OK...

I once thought about posting in that "Are you into other vintage areas?" thread when I first started hanging out here, but told myself "No... it's in the past - let it go!" (Basically, I've had to struggle my whole life not become a mulleted, ******* motorhead, and bikes are supposed to be my salvation.) But I'm obviously surrounded by like-minded and sympathetic people here, so what the hell. In my case, most of my life story can be told through references to old mechanical things that I've owned - right up to my current obsession with vintage mountain bikes. It's who I am, I guess, so no point in being ashamed.

Based on some of the vehicles above, it appears that great minds think alike.

In about 1980, at 14 years old, I rescued a 1967 firebird from the junkyard. I restored it in time to take it to college, and then slowly ran it back into the ground. Just like Laffeaux's, it was my only car for about 10 years - which is quite amazing considering the amount of snow where I live. Thank god for bicycles. Here's one of a few photos I have, from spring break, senior year, 1988. 400 Pontiac big block, tri-power, Muncie M22 4-speed, limited slip differential, and many shared adventures. I ruled, man:

View attachment 766979

After I had my first kid in 1991, I parked the Firebird with the intention of restoring it again some day. But when I had a 2nd kid in 2003 it became clear it was never going to happen. So I traded it for a very original 1967 Airstream Caravel, which I still have and use regularly. (Much more family-friendly hobby). During most of the interim period, I also drove a really nice 1970 Bronco, which I had to sell when I was building a home, but I can't find any pictures of it at the moment. I'll have to edit this when I locate one. But here's the airstream, from this last summer:

View attachment 766992

Then, after having a 3rd kid in 2006, I suppose I had a mid-life crisis... and I tried the classic car thing once again - partly restoring a 1977 FJ40. But I sold it shortly after, in 2008, to put the oldest kid through college... and at that time decided/realized that tinkering with old mountain bikes, which have always been in the picture anyway as you can see, is every bit as satisfying as tinkering with old cars - plus a whole lot cheaper and healthier.

View attachment 766977

I don't need to explain to anyone here why I'm attracted to "classic" things over newer, mundane alternatives - but I often think about how my preference and tastes for certain bikes - Bridgestones, Bontragers, Ibis (Ibi?), etc. - were being formed before I even understood why. I think they must represent the best of the "production class" or "working-man's" rides. In the same way that I'm not likely to own a Ferrari Barchetta or Airfloat Navigator, I don't hold out hope for a Ritchey Annapurna or a Cunningam Indian. But I can have a hell of a nice Pontiac if I want it bad enough!!!
Best post.

#3 ·
Back before the days of digital photography I had a '66 Mustang, a '70 Barracuda, and a couple of Z cars. I may have old school film pictures of these somewhere, but not sure where. But here's the last two VRC cars that I've owned.

I owned this '67 Firebird convertible from '94 until '00. For the first three years that I owned it was my only car (although there was about 6 months during that time where my old CJ-7 was stilling running). The car was painted a faded canary yellow when I bought it near Boulder Creek, CA. It took quite a bit of work and time to get it looking nice. It was a fun car, but with a 326 engine paired to a 2-speed automatic it wasn't too fast - even after adding a 4-bbl carb.

Here is the last of three Z's that I owned. In college I had an orange '70 240 (which was a rust bucket), and after college I had a nice 260Z (that never was as fun as the 240s) but it was stolen while I was in NYC and it never turned up. The green one was mine for a couple of years from 2003 to 2004. The body was in good shape when I bought it, but it barely ran. I was able to confirm that the compression was good, so I bought it. It had to replace the carbs with rebuilt side-drafts and spent quite a bit of time tuning it up but it ended up running great. It was the most fun of the three that I owned. I sometimes wished I'd not sold this one.

#8 · (Edited)
Of all the people to start a 'cars' thread. ;)

But I like car threads.

Interesting/fun cars over the years:
77 F100 2wd
79 Bronco 400 AT
79 Bronco 351/4spd, stock save the Rancho 3", 40 Series
66 GT Fastback, port/polished 289 block 302 heads, Shelby suspension, 4spd so on so forth.
75 Stroppe Baja Bronco, 2" suspension lift, headers, exhaust, otherwise stock
90 4Runner 4" ProComp/5spd, exhaust.

#10 · (Edited)
Of all the people to start a 'cars' thread. ;)

03 G35 Coupe, only as far as Nismo intake.
I know, right? I was inspired by thinking of Double Century's 31 Chevy today. I hope you don't mind. I decided that your 03 Coupe is not very vintagy or classic or even retro and have redacted it from these historical annals. :p

edit: you did it for me! :)

#19 ·
Sweetness, my other Passion :) Here is my 1975 911 Carrera
1st gen SWB 911's are some of my favorites. Porsche can make that brown look good.

Perhaps it's not a classic car, but I have a 2001 Audi S4 Avant that's boosted to about 480 horse. It's quick I guess...
S4 Avants are rad.

#23 ·
That makes me sad. I just ended a relationship with a gal that has a white 94 C2, a black 01 996 4TT and a white 05 GT3. She tracks them all. :) I only drove the GT. Stupid fun and surprisingly easy to drive.

#28 ·
I've posted updates on the 1975 280Z in the 'other vintage areas' thread over the years, but not since I moved back to Socal last May and started going to Cars and Coffee.

There's still work to do -will be switching to AEM stand-alone fuel injection to better run the stroker engine, then the interior finally gets completed. We just moved out of our temp rental an into our 'new to us' house last Saturday, so the garage will be much more unpacked now and I hope to get more time with the cars and bikes - at least until our daughter is born in July. :)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Classic car
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Land vehicle Mode of transport

Then, there's the other current toy:

Motor vehicle Wheel Mode of transport Vehicle Land vehicle

Other past fun ones/projects:
Wide variety of daily drivers, as I work in the auto industry...
1974 Volvo 142 (sold before moving last May - major project)
1988 BMW 325i Convertible (went with the ex-wife)
1998 Ford SVT Contour
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R
1970 Mustang Grande (302 automatic :-( )

#34 ·
I love those Audi coupes, here's my other passion..
88 325
99 328 engine
I like the upgraded engine and have a soft spot for e30s. I had a '90 ix for a short time and really liked it. Got plowed into when someone lost it in snow and came over the line. Ended up with a non-interesting audi. I've been on the hunt for a bi-turbo S4 avant as mentioned above. Too cool.

Anyone else check out the site Bringatrailer? I lurk but it's forum reminds me of this one and the cars they have are just awesome.

#35 ·
Here are a couple favorites that some of you may have seen before:

Local rides I lust after...

My sister's CVCC

My college transportation--an 1980 P200e

My Witcomb and my in-laws FELLLALI...what is that, a Quattro Formaggio?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.