Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 282
  1. #1
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942

    Old photos surface

    I have been rooting through my voluminous files lately looking for stuff to entertain this forum. A few days ago I came across an envelope with photos I haven't seen in over 20 years.

    There were photos of my Breezer #2 in mint condition, one of Alan Bonds' awesome klunkers, and some negatives that I could tell from the size were from Gary Fisher's Hasselblad camera.

    Here are a few of them. I'll post more down the thread if these are well received.

    The Breezer:




    This was a contact print, but because it was from the large format Hasselblad negative, I was able to get a halfway decent scan. This is one of the nine bikes that Tom Ritchey fronted to Gary and me in September of 1979, and which we used to start our business. The photo was taken in what would have been the "dining room" if a normal family had lived in the house at 1320 San Anselmo Avenue, but served us as the shop before we rented a commercial space two blocks away.





    Thank Hewlitt-Packard for scanners! Years ago I would have had to trudge to the photo store and have these developed, only to find that most of them were out of focus or badly lit. This one wasn't. Gary took this photo of me on his bike, one of Tom's first run of three mountain bikes built in early 1979. Purists will note that the t-shirt is the same one that Billy Savage is wearing on the cover of Decline Magazine.


  2. #2
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,208
    Great pix. Thanks for posting them. I am looking forward to seeing what else you have in your archives for our entertainment.

  3. #3
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,792
    Wow... no that's HISTORY!

    Thanks for sharing!

  4. #4
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,079
    Awesome! Keep 'em coming. The contrast of flash and night on the Breezer is pretty cool.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696

    Incredible stuff!

    Thanks for sharing this incredible history with us, Charlie.

  6. #6
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    That's new desktop wallpaper for me!

    The first 9 Tom built bikes. Where are they now? All accounted for, or just a few with their whereabouts known?


    Fantastic pictures! I how we get to see more.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  7. #7
    John Galt
    Reputation: cegrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,647
    Just another amazing post from CK. Consider me entertained!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Those are great pics!

    You can really see the modern mountain bike evolve from clunker to a true purpose built mountain bike at that moment. I'd say those design were copied for at least a decade or more without major changes from that point forward.

    thanks for posting those.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,198
    That looks like some good trail in #3.
    Thanks.
    Mike

  10. #10
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,869

    please keep em coming

    anybody know how many came with truss forks?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    looking for 20-21" P team

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    The first 9 Tom built bikes. Where are they now? All accounted for, or just a few with their whereabouts known?.
    Those were my exact thoughts.....

  12. #12
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,314
    i'm not joking: i can't see any pics CK posts. firefox on mac here. what gives?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  13. #13
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    i'm not joking: i can't see any pics CK posts. firefox on mac here. what gives?
    can you see mine?maybe its not your computer
    looking for 20-21" P team

  14. #14
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,314
    i see your breezer and not CK's.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  15. #15
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    anybody know how many came with truss forks?
    One. That's Joe's Breezer #1. All the rest, mine included, came with Red Line forks and were nickel-plated instead of painted. Did anyone notice that the seatpost is Campy micro-adjusting?

    As far as where the Ritchey bikes went, I know where two of them are. Fred Wolf still has his. One of the others was sold to my uncle, and a few years ago I took it to Tom to see what he would give him for it. Thomas Frischknecht traded my uncle straight across for one of his full-race top of the line bikes.

  16. #16
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    As far as where the Ritchey bikes went, I know where two of them are. Fred Wolf still has his. One of the others was sold to my uncle, and a few years ago I took it to Tom to see what he would give him for it. Thomas Frischknecht traded my uncle straight across for one of his full-race top of the line bikes.

    Frishi got the better end of the deal.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  17. #17
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Alan Bonds' '78 klunker






  18. #18
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    More Breezer




  19. #19
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    More Ritchey


  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    186
    I certainly don't mean any disrespect to a legend and pioneer of the sport but aren't the forks on the early bikes made by Cook Bros? They are dead ringers for my two sets of CBR forks from the era.

  21. #21
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxcollector
    I certainly don't mean any disrespect to a legend and pioneer of the sport but aren't the forks on the early bikes made by Cook Bros? They are dead ringers for my two sets of CBR forks from the era.
    RedLine. Pretty much identical to CBR, just a 3" longer BMX fork. Joe made his own fork with curved tapered tubing, but he bought all the others.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    186
    Interesting, Redline never made a production 26" bike. A picture did surface recently of a one off 26" Redline from 1975. It did feature a 26" redline fork but was of the original style with solid drop outs. Maybe the Breezer/ Redline fork was produced to spec and not a off the shelf item? Cool stuff thanks for the pics!

    A quick note. Cook Brothers was among the first to copy the tubular fork design developed by Redline for the BMX market in 74/75. Not making them very popular with the owner of Redline. That was what made me question the Breezer fork as being a CBR. I found it very strange Redline would use a CBR style dropout as there was no love lost between the two companies.

  23. #23
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    I believe the fork on the front of this bike if a Cook Bros.
    Alan, Billy, or Charlie can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boy named SSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,652
    I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread. Thank you for sharing these with us.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    186
    If your talking about the forks on the Lawwill those are not Cook Bros. What is interesting is the gold one has what look to be 26" Redline forks. Several makers were producing a similiar fork by then and I bet they are Gary Littlejohn forks. The forks on the red bike are most likely modified Diamond Back units.Probably an overseas unit judging by the construction. Very few BMX companies had the dual drop out set up. Speedo, Motopro, Bandito, Diamond Back being the most well known.

    So where was that gathering?

  26. #26
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxcollector
    So where was that gathering?
    Fairfax Fat Tire Festival 06.

    This from 05:

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  27. #27
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Here are a couple of shots I know you guys will like.

    These were taken in June of 1979. The bikes from left to right are Alan Bonds' Excelsior klunker, my Breezer #2, Mike Castelli's 1979 Jeffey Richman and Gary Fisher's first Ritchey.




  28. #28
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Here are a couple of shots I know you guys will like.

    These were taken in June of 1979. The bikes from left to right are Alan Bonds' Excelsior klunker, my Breezer #2, Mike Castelli's 1979 Jeffey Richman and Gary Fisher's first Ritchey.
    Very cool!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    The best yet!! Awesome pics!

    Thanks for sharing.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: commuter73's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    77
    This is a fantastic thread! I recently picked up a 20 dollar Schwinn Cruiser off craigslist and these pics are giving me TONS of ideas.
    A new old set of Mavic 231 rims would REALLY make my day.

  31. #31
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    We're lovin' this CK. Fantastic to see these early mtbs in their prime.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  32. #32
    _____________
    Reputation: Cycleshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    219
    wow.....thanks charlie!


    one can clearly see.....back in da days...nobody knew mountain bikes.....


    ....there is no locks on the bikes!!

    swizz greetings
    uncle pete

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    466

    Breezer

    I think Larry Kragg still has one of those Breezers under his porch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    I have been rooting through my voluminous files lately looking for stuff to entertain this forum. A few days ago I came across an envelope with photos I haven't seen in over 20 years.

    There were photos of my Breezer #2 in mint condition, one of Alan Bonds' awesome klunkers, and some negatives that I could tell from the size were from Gary Fisher's Hasselblad camera.

    Here are a few of them. I'll post more down the thread if these are well received.

    The Breezer:




    This was a contact print, but because it was from the large format Hasselblad negative, I was able to get a halfway decent scan. This is one of the nine bikes that Tom Ritchey fronted to Gary and me in September of 1979, and which we used to start our business. The photo was taken in what would have been the "dining room" if a normal family had lived in the house at 1320 San Anselmo Avenue, but served us as the shop before we rented a commercial space two blocks away.





    Thank Hewlitt-Packard for scanners! Years ago I would have had to trudge to the photo store and have these developed, only to find that most of them were out of focus or badly lit. This one wasn't. Gary took this photo of me on his bike, one of Tom's first run of three mountain bikes built in early 1979. Purists will note that the t-shirt is the same one that Billy Savage is wearing on the cover of Decline Magazine.


  34. #34
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Another pile of old photos has surfaced in my collection, so I thought I would bring back this thread rather than starting another, so they would all be in the same place. These are mostly InstaMatic shots, with limited quality because the negatives are so small.

    Around 1975 we took a ride in Point Reyes and got busted. This is Bob Klock talking to the ranger, and Gary Fisher in the foreground.

    Take a close look at Gary's shifters, barely in the photo at the bottom. It is a pair of "stem shifters" moved to the handlebars, with both levers operated by the same hand. This was what we used before thumb shifters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  35. #35
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    These ride photos look to be from about 1976, when most of our crowd had upgraded to multiple gear clunkers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  36. #36
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    One more. Howie Hammerman, Alan Bonds and his dog Ariel, and Vince Carleton
    Attached Images Attached Images

  37. #37
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Really looks like you made the most of your rides. Took your time and enjoyed things.

    CK, generally speaking, when you guys went out to ride, was it an all day event?
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  38. #38
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks for reviving the thread, CK. It's great to see the photos and read the stories of how things evolved 30 years ago.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Retrocowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    271

    beautiful pics

    Thanks for sharing them with us. I find the history very interesting, especially how the frames and parts came together.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    979
    Great thread thanx

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Thanks for reviving the thread, CK. It's great to see the photos and read the stories of how things evolved 30 years ago.

    Great pics, CK!

  42. #42
    Does the right thing
    Reputation: Freemtnrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    120
    Great shots! keep them coming!

    CK I'm gunna trim my mustache and side burns to match yours in that first shot and then sport the look to my local races.

    Forget about the first Tom bikes, what happend to Gary Fisher's Hasselblad camera?
    The 80mm format I assume?

    I'm not that into cameras but its probably worth $8-10,000 at this point.

  43. #43
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Freemtnrider
    .

    Forget about the first Tom bikes, what happend to Gary Fisher's Hasselblad camera?
    The 80mm format I assume?

    I'm not that into cameras but its probably worth $8-10,000 at this point.
    huh...r u serious?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  44. #44
    just rub some dirt on it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Really looks like you made the most of your rides. Took your time and enjoyed things.

    CK, generally speaking, when you guys went out to ride, was it an all day event?
    Smoke em if ya got em!

  45. #45
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Time to bump this one back to the top, and I have just the stuff.

    Here is a better scan of a photo on my website, taken in 1976 after a Repack race. From left, Alan Bonds, Benny Hendricks, Ross Parkerson, Jim Stern and me. Every bike is a Schwinn Excelsior. I have blown up my own bike, which as you can see has an Alan Bonds paint job.

    Some of us are wearing Excelsior t-shirts printed by Alan. I am wearing my standard Repack attire, my Army fatigue shirt with my name still over the pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  46. #46
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Parking lot of the Fairfax Theater, 1981. My first Ritchey is second from the left, red with brass plated bars and everything anodized gold.

    I can identify Tom Meyers in the white pants, Dennis Leonard in the white jersey, and myself in the red hat. The bike at far left is a Murray Baja, which Gary gave me as a joke, and which then fell into the hands of Steve Wilde, who rode it into the ground in short order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  47. #47
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Joe Breeze and I raced in the Tilden Park CycloCross on our Breezers in 1978. I was a DNF with bike damage (bent my wimpy TA chainring), and Joe finished out of the money, but our teammate Joe Ryan won on a standard 'cross bike.

    Here are myself, Denise Caramagno, Joe Ryan and Gary Fisher after the race.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Repack Rider; 10-18-2007 at 10:08 AM.

  48. #48
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    In 1980 we drove down to Glenn Odell's race in San Luis Obispo, the Central Coast Clunker Classic. Here are Ken Fuetsch and Joe Breeze after the race. The three bikes are all Breezers. Mine is closest to the camera and Joe's is in the middle. The third bike is a type II Breezer without the extra tubes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  49. #49
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Legendary stuff CK!

    I'm sure it's been said before but....it's a damn good thing you had the wherewithal to take the pictures and keep track of all this stuff.

    A great deal of otherwise important history would surely have been lost otherwise.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Williwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Parking lot of the Fairfax Theater, 1981. My first Ritchey is second from the left, red with brass plated bars and everything anodized gold.

    I can identify Tom Meyers in the white pants, Dennis Leonard in the white jersey, and myself in the red hat. The bike at far left is a Murray Baja, which Gary gave me as a joke, and which then fell into the hands of Steve Wilde, who rode it into the ground in short order.

    tell me about the bike behind Tom!! sloping tt?

  51. #51
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354
    CK
    Keep up the great work. Those photos are priceless and a nice window into the past.

  52. #52
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    tell me about the bike behind Tom!! sloping tt?
    Not a lot of possibilities in 1981. I'm thinking it might be a Trailmaster, but I don't know how to verify it. The photo is maxed out.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Not a lot of possibilities in 1981. I'm thinking it might be a Trailmaster, but I don't know how to verify it. The photo is maxed out.

    As usual, great stuff. Where's the red Ritchey now?

  54. #54
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    As usual, great stuff. Where's the red Ritchey now?
    Sold it in 1982 to a guy named Aaron Goldstein, who is now the sound mixer for the Sons of Champlin.

    Saw a guy riding it in 1987, haven't seen it since.

  55. #55
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Joe Breeze and I raced in the Tilden Park CycloCross on our Breezers in 1979. I was a DNF with bike damage (bent my wimpy TA chainring), and Joe finished out of the money, but our teammate Joe Ryan won on a standard 'cross bike.

    Here are myself, Denise Caramagno, Joe Ryan and Gary Fisher after the race.
    possibly my favorite photo yet.
    looking for 20-21" P team

  56. #56
    Choo Choo
    Reputation: L-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    74

    I'll second that

    and third it
    "A Pound Of Nuts Is Simply Not Enough To Keep My Rage At Bay" - PTH

  57. #57
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    possibly my favorite photo yet.
    Really? Thanks.

    I debated even posting it, since there aren't any bikes in the shot.

    I need to correct the date of the photo; it's actually 1978, not 1979.

    That was my first "date" with Denise, who moved in with me a short time later and was instrumental in starting the Fat Tire Flyer. (She named the publication and acted as the publisher, starting at the age of 19.) Denise is now in the MTB Hall of Fame.

  58. #58
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Really? Thanks.

    I debated even posting it, since there aren't any bikes in the shot.

    I need to correct the date of the photo; it's actually 1978, not 1979.

    That was my first "date" with Denise, who moved in with me a short time later and was instrumental in starting the Fat Tire Flyer. (She named the publication and acted as the publisher, starting at the age of 19.) Denise is now in the MTB Hall of Fame.
    please, dont hesitate to post any of the photos you got
    looking for 20-21" P team

  59. #59
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Really? Thanks.

    I debated even posting it, since there aren't any bikes in the shot.
    We respect the people as much as the bikes, so please, post-a-way.

    I don't think a lot of other forums give as much credit to the riders/builders as they do the bikes.

    You can't know where you're going if you don't know where you've been. We might be bias, but MTB history is pretty colorful.

    It's a bonus for us to get our history lessons first hand from those of you that wrote it.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    397

    Thanks CK

    Oh man, I wish you would have opened that envelope a year ago! I could have used a few more shots of you riding on the trails on that MB. Thanks for posting and for all the support, CK. I just wish we were on our way to London for the premiere there. It's gonna rock. Thanks Rumpfy, and the rest of you folks on this site for keeping in the klunk alive.
    Ride on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  61. #61
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Above Alpine Dam, January 1982.

    All the bikes are Ritcheys. The one without a rider is Denise Caramagno's. From left, John Troja in front of Dennett Colescott, and Mike Flanagan is standing behind me.

    I have included a detail shot of my red 1980 Ritchey, with brass plated bars, gold anodized brake levers, cranks, rims, pedals and Blackburn rack (which doubled as a rear fender in those days). It even has red leather covers for the brake levers and red cable housings. Black anodized TA chainset.

    Definitely one of the coolest looking Ritcheys that ever hit dirt.

    Mike's bike, behind mine, is painted flat black, and everything else is black anodized.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  62. #62
    clunker
    Reputation: ericb49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Above Alpine Dam, January 1982.
    Alpine Lake at flood stage, even. God that was a wet winter!
    ...strictly downhill...

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    397
    Nice stuff CK. When's the book coming out? You know me... I'm thinking Klunkerz 2...The Chromoly Years! How did Joe Ryan win the Tilden 'Cross race after a face-plant? He looks like he's bleeding pretty good. Keep 'em coming!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Above Alpine Dam, January 1982.

    All the bikes are Ritcheys. The one without a rider is Denise Caramagno's. From left, John Troja in front of Dennett Colescott, and Mike Flanagan is standing behind me.

    I have included a detail shot of my red 1980 Ritchey, with brass plated bars, gold anodized brake levers, cranks, rims, pedals and Blackburn rack (which doubled as a rear fender in those days). It even has red leather covers for the brake levers and red cable housings. Black anodized TA chainset.

    Definitely one of the coolest looking Ritcheys that ever hit dirt.

    Mike's bike, behind mine, is painted flat black, and everything else is black anodized.

    Super cool. This needs to go in the Ritchey thread. I like that black one. Ive seen a real early (82ish) Mt Goat Deluxe with red paint, red Magura covers, and gold ano parts. Pretty neat.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    410

    great!

    love the klunker & early mtb stuff. the early repack/pearl pass photos in 'bicycling' and 'outside' fired up my imagination and got me into cycling. i see qbp has 'klunkerz' in stock now, i better go put together a totally unneccessary parts order.......

  66. #66
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    One of my marketing tools when I sold Ritchey MountainBikes was to take my bike out on the road century rides and kick ass. This was the best century I ever rode on fat tires, the 1981 Hekaton starting and ending in Dublin (East Bay) It had 8000 feet of climbing, and I rode my gold-trimmed red Ritchey, while my friend Mark Edwards rode my Breezer #2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  67. #67
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Alan Bonds on Repack, 1976.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  68. #68
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Me, Gary and Joe, around 1994.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  69. #69
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Me, Gary and Joe, around 1994.

    You still have that Ritchey.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  70. #70
    time to climb
    Reputation: Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread. Thank you for sharing these with us.
    I like how none of the rear tires can fit into the rack. Classis pics.

  71. #71
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    I'm getting away with posting some pretty bad photos here.

    This is Denise Caramagno right after a race, with my Breezer #2. I'm thinking this was the 1980 Central Coast Clunker Classic, or possibly the 1981 version of that race.

    Denise suffered a little damage, which she shows off proudly.

    The third shot is Dave Epperson's photo of Denise and Wende Cragg practicing on the Pacifica Cyclocross course before the 1981 National Championships.

    Denise has her own Ritchey, and Wende has an original Breezer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  72. #72
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Joe Murray, Ned Overend, Roy Rivers and Paul Thomasberg, Virginia City around 1984.

    Ned Overend's Schwinn Paramountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Joe Murray, Ned Overend, Roy Rivers and Paul Thomasberg, Virginia City around 1984.

    Ned Overend's Schwinn Paramountain.

    I wonder who made Ned's frame.

    You sure thats Joe Murray? Doesnt look like him to me and wouldnt he be on a Fisher then? You know better than me for sure. How about that Ritchey rider in the background, is that Tom?

    The guy with the beard looks familiar too.

  74. #74
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    I wonder who made Ned's frame.

    You sure thats Joe Murray? Doesnt look like him to me and wouldnt he be on a Fisher then? You know better than me for sure. How about that Ritchey rider in the background, is that Tom?

    The guy with the beard looks familiar too.
    I assumed it was Joe, 'cuz it looks like him and it's the right crowd for the time, but the bike looks Cannondale-ish, so I might be wrong. I found some so-so shots of Joe at the time, and I will post them for comparison.

    I looked at the Ritchey rider in the background, and he looks too short and too thick of leg to be Tom. I suspect it's Max Jones.

  75. #75
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    You sure thats Joe Murray? Doesnt look like him to me and wouldnt he be on a Fisher then.
    I'm terrible with faces, worse with names.

    Here's a known Joe Murray photo from the 1988 Rockhopper. Is it the same guy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  76. #76
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    I'm getting away with posting some pretty bad photos here.

    This is Denise Caramagno right after a race, with my Breezer #2. I'm thinking this was the 1980 Central Coast Clunker Classic, or possibly the 1981 version of that race.

    Denise suffered a little damage, which she shows off proudly.

    The third shot is Dave Epperson's photo of Denise and Wende Cragg practicing on the Pacifica Cyclocross course before the 1981 National Championships.

    Denise has her own Ritchey, and Wende has an original Breezer.
    that last pic is awesome.

    this thread gets better and better
    looking for 20-21" P team

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NorseRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    178
    Fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing!

    Truls
    Johnsen Frameworks
    www.johnsenframeworks.com
    Norway

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Retro MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Joe Murray, Ned Overend, Roy Rivers and Paul Thomasberg, Virginia City around 1984.
    I am sorry to go way back to a previous post, but the tires on Ned's and Roy's bikes look like Ground Controls. That would place the date as 1985 at the earliest. Both bikes look like the ones that they used at the 1985 NORBA Nationals in Santa Barbara, CA. My guess is that it is 1985.

    No matter the date, all of the pictures (bikes and/or people) are fantastic! This is history.

    MB

  79. #79
    Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Reputation: thebigred67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,469
    Great thread!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

  80. #80
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Retro,

    Good catch on the Ground Control tires. Some photos are easier to date than others. If I'm in the photo, I generally knew when and where it was taken. I wasn't sure which year Ned switched to Specialized, but he rode the 1986 Nationals on a Schwinn. I have a lot of photos from Edgemont Ranch from that year and he's still with Schwinn.

    Here's Crested Butte rider Tracy Smith with his Cunningham at the 1986 Plumline Challenge near Bishop, California.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  81. #81
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Specialized owner Mike Sinyard hands up a bottle to his star rider, Ned Overend at the 1988 National championships at Sun Valley.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bigwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider

    Here's Crested Butte rider Tracy Smith with his Cunningham at the 1986 Plumline Challenge near Bishop, California.
    SMITH aka Seldom Seen~I have a pic of that bike that I took at his condo a few years ago somewhere in the archives......he can still ride all day perty darn fast to this day. He also has a 700c 'Ham. You must have one of his teammate S Cook also?
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

  83. #83
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    I thought I had already posted this one, or at least had it on my website, but apparently not because I couldn't locate it anywhere. Sorry if it's a repeat.

    This is from Repack, 1979, and apparently Gary won something, because I'm on the big rock that served as the podium for race finishes, handing him some sort of prize.

    Yesterday I scanned the Crested Butte newspapers from September, 1978, which detail how the California riders took the place by storm. Knowing what we know now about CB, this is pretty interesting, so I put up a new page on my site for them.

    Rather than duplicate it all here, I'll just post this link to my new page.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    I thought I had already posted this one, or at least had it on my website, but apparently not because I couldn't locate it anywhere. Sorry if it's a repeat.

    This is from Repack, 1979, and apparently Gary won something, because I'm on the big rock that served as the podium for race finishes, handing him some sort of prize.

    Yesterday I scanned the Crested Butte newspapers from September, 1978, which detail how the California riders took the place by storm. Knowing what we know now about CB, this is pretty interesting, so I put up a new page on my site for them.

    Rather than duplicate it all here, I'll just post this link to my new page.

    Neat article. On that Pearl Pass shot with everyone lined up, were the CB locals the ones with the "ape hanger" bars or did some of the CA guys have those as well? The high bars seem to look different from what Ive seen on Repack shots.

    Edit: after closer inspection, I see that most of the Marin guys have the lower motorcycle bars.

    Please keep this stuff coming!
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 10-25-2007 at 10:13 AM.

  85. #85
    (not that fast)
    Reputation: fastale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    954
    I have been following this thread and while I cannot consider myself a mountain bike history buff, I would like to be one. Is there a book considered to be the crème de la crème of mountain bike history? Any other mediums that could help me get a grasp of what mtbing was like back in the day?

    this site, particularly this thread rock, thank you.

  86. #86
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    I have been following this thread and while I cannot consider myself a mountain bike history buff, I would like to be one. Is there a book considered to be the crème de la crème of mountain bike history? Any other mediums that could help me get a grasp of what mtbing was like back in the day?
    But...who could WRITE such a thing. All the mountain bikers I know are functionally illiterate.

    You guys like shots of interesting groups of people. I found this photo from Crested Butte in an old Suntour company bulletin from 1982. It includes mountain biking's most famous fugitive, Neil Murdoch (Richard Bannister) and the president of Suntour, Junzo Kawai.

    When Richard Bannister fled to the tiny backwater of CB and assumed a new name, he probably never figured he would get famous under his alias and that the sleepy little town would be written large on some maps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  87. #87
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    But...who could WRITE such a thing. All the mountain bikers I know are functionally illiterate.

    You guys like shots of interesting groups of people. I found this photo from Crested Butte in an old Suntour company bulletin from 1982. It includes mountain biking's most famous fugitive, Neil Murdoch (Richard Bannister) and the president of Suntour, Junzo Kawai.

    When Richard Bannister fled to the tiny backwater of CB and assumed a new name, he probably never figured he would get famous under his alias and that the sleepy little town would be written large on some maps.
    Irony at work

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Irony at work

    haha. Yep. So whats the latest on "Mr. Murdoch"? Anyone know?


    Fastale, try watching the movie Klunkerz for a history lesson. Its out on DVD now.

  89. #89
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    haha. Yep. So whats the latest on "Mr. Murdoch"? Anyone know?
    State sponsored resident in New Mexico ???

  90. #90
    member
    Reputation: dick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    102
    Murray had engineers?

  91. #91
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Murray had engineers.

    These guys dreamed of guiding the company in a new direction. They were young, they were hanging out in Crested Butte and they saw what was going on. Or maybe they were groupies for people who WERE making a difference, who knows?

    As it turned out, Murray didn't get any of our market share.

    Here's a cover shot from the Fat Tire Flyer, taken before a race in Colorado in 1984.

    From left, Jim Deaton, winner of the first two NORBA downhill events, Gavin Chilcott, who had already raced as a road pro in Italy, Alan Ott, Sandy Hague, Dave McLaughlin, Sandy Chapman and defending NORBA champion Steve Tilford.

  92. #92
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    From left, Jim Deaton, Gavin Chilcott, Alan Ott, Sandy Hague, Dave McLaughlin, Sandy Chapman and Steve Tilford.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    From left, Jim Deaton, Gavin Chilcott, Alan Ott, Sandy Hague, Dave McLaughlin, Sandy Chapman and Steve Tilford.

    I love that shot. Gavin is managing the BMC domestic cycling team, Dave Mac is running the Luna Chix team after a pretty long mtb carreer with Specialized and then Ritchey. Tilford is still racing I think! Im pretty sure his Raleigh there is really a Moots.

  94. #94
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Cyclocross, 1984 John Loomis (Fisher) left, Dave McLaughlin (Specialized) right
    Attached Images Attached Images

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Cyclocross, 1984 John Loomis (Fisher) left, Dave McLaughlin (Specialized) right

    I like the shifters on the inside of the bullmoose struts.

    Hey, and I have that frame Dave's riding. He rode it that year in the '84 cyclocross worlds in Munich, Germany. Need to get it repainted and built.

    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/tinc500/DSC000331.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>

  96. #96
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Mike Rust, Don Cook, Steve Cook, Crested Butte 1980
    Attached Images Attached Images

  97. #97
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    I like the shifters on the inside of the bullmoose struts.

    Hey, and I have that frame Dave's riding. He rode it that year in the '84 cyclocross worlds in Munich, Germany. Need to get it repainted and built.

    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/tinc500/DSC000331.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
    wish mine had brake studs
    looking for 20-21" P team

  98. #98
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by dick
    Murray had engineers?





  99. #99
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Cyclocross, 1984 John Loomis (Fisher) left, Dave McLaughlin (Specialized) right
    I love that shot. I've got a magazine somewhere here with that shot in it...or was it also a poster?

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I love that shot. I've got a magazine somewhere here with that shot in it...or was it also a poster?

    Looks like McLaughlin going for the pass on Team Fisher and possibly a Cunningham 'cross bike. Ive seen it in a mag somewhere too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.