Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Diamond Back Ascent EX

New to the forum. At the age of 44, I decided I wanted to get back into cycling, especially here around town. I found this old (1992?) Diamond Back on Craigslist for $75.00. A cyclo computer was included . I cleaned up the drivetrain, greased the wheel bearings, and I went kind of nuts on parts over the last two weeks:

Drop bars
    mirror
    bar extender
    lights (required)
    Airzounds horn (loud!)
    shock absorbing seatpost
    Kenda K838 tire on front, the rear tire is on the way.

I am glad I bought this instead of going to Walmart or Target for a bike. Even thought I lack experience and I know the technology has made quantum leaps over 20 years, I think this bike feels solid. With the drop bar and just a slick front tire my cruising speed has increased from 12 to 14 mph, up to 14 to 17 mph. I'm Happy.

The Kenda K838 feels so much better that the knobby. The rear will be here next week. I can enter a sweeping 90 degree left turns at the traffic signal doing 16 or 17 mph, no braking even after it rains. The knobby was not giving me that confidence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old neon bike photos please..........-bike-002.jpg  

Old neon bike photos please..........-bike-004.jpg  

Old neon bike photos please..........-bike-005.jpg  

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Here's a Rock Hound I saw in Whistler two days ago. It is a little faded now, but that's what you get with those yellow and pink colors when they've been outside for a few decades!
    Nice!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Here's a Rock Hound I saw in Whistler two days ago. It is a little faded now, but that's what you get with those yellow and pink colors when they've been outside for a few decades!
    Gotta love a bike with its original tires.

Quote Originally Posted by sbolt View Post
    New to the forum. At the age of 44, I decided I wanted to get back into cycling, especially here around town.
    Wow! You've added everything known to mankind on it except racks and fenders. Good for you for getting back on the bike.

I am glad I bought this instead of going to Walmart or Target for a bike.
    Me too!

Front Range, Colorado
    New to the forum. At the age of 44, I decided I wanted to get back into cycling, especially here around town. I found this old (1992?) Diamond Back on Craigslist for $75.00. A cyclo computer was included . I cleaned up the drivetrain, greased the wheel bearings, and I went kind of nuts on parts over the last two weeks:

Drop bars
    mirror
    bar extender
    lights (required)
    Airzounds horn (loud!)
    shock absorbing seatpost
    Kenda K838 tire on front, the rear tire is on the way.

I am glad I bought this instead of going to Walmart or Target for a bike. Even thought I lack experience and I know the technology has made quantum leaps over 20 years, I think this bike feels solid. With the drop bar and just a slick front tire my cruising speed has increased from 12 to 14 mph, up to 14 to 17 mph. I'm Happy.

The Kenda K838 feels so much better that the knobby. The rear will be here next week. I can enter a sweeping 90 degree left turns at the traffic signal doing 16 or 17 mph, no braking even after it rains. The knobby was not giving me that confidence.

Good choice! And welcome aboard I think you're on tbe right track with your attitude. It's about personal fun not the latest and greatest top of the line bike. Hey if you are going retro there is nothing better than a neon ride.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyody View Post
    Even thought this frame only has some fluorescent decals it is a very rare Titanium frame I help design for Titan. I also designed a rear suspension frame for Titan but the company was bought out by a company from Taiwan and it never made it to production but I have pictures some where of it!
    I Love your cable stops! really cool.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyody View Post
    Yes and it was copied by Trek, Iron Horse, Kona and every one else who saw it the first and second prototypes at the 1990 and 1991 show, they also saw it in the different magazines before the shows that the Derby corporation who own Haro at that time show it to, and the whole frame design was brought to the manufacture of Marzocchi suspension(which at that time was only motorcycle susp.) to have a shock built for it since there was no mt.bike shocks being manufactured yet! when it got there in Italy Haro said my design was shown to Verlichi who in turned made the frame for Haro, But the design was also given to Iron Horse and Kona!!! I have drawings of this design dating back to 1988 but I personally like other designs I had instead! but this Haro designed of mine was picked by Dean Bradley the product manager of Haro at that time because he liked the idea/design that allowed the suspension to be locked out under pedaling because of the main pivot location, thinking it was good for climbing! I liked my other designs allowing a more of controlled active suspension, because I was a motocrosser and believed in active suspension, which I designed and sold to a company called Crestonepeak bikes out of Colorado. They showed it around to different magazines who said it had " Too much travel" that it was not necessary lol! it only had 6"'s of travel in the rear but that was too much for 1990 I guess! that design I had the Suzuki linkage designed in to it kind of, and my around the axle pivot design that was used later by Trek and still being used today by them!
    Woody, Very interesting story and those are some great shots. I really like the green bike. I think if you post these at the end of this thread more people will see them.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Wow! This thread is crazy colorful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Felix,
    This FUNK is just Vicious. One of the coolest bikes ive seen.

Ben

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not nearly as cool as some of the bikes here, but i picked this nearly mint 91 Trek 6000 up a few years back and its been a work in progress. She doesn't get the attention she deserves as i'm up to 27 bikes now and a girlfriend who's patience is wearing thin

here's an old shot from basement cleanout number 1 last spring next to a lot of 3dv

Front Range, Colorado
    Happy Thanksgiving!!
    A resurrection of a thread that needs more contribution.
    I know there must be some more of these beloved bikes that need to be posted, so don't be bashful. I have something in the works that I am going to be springing on all of you very shortly. Via this thread she should fit in like a glove. I think you will be amazed with what I'm working on. I'm just giving everyone a chance to get their sunglasses because you're going to need them to view this beauty.
    edit: my plans fell through, couldn't purchase it quick enough. Someone else snagged it.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-01-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Favorite thread!!!! Love the old neon bikes. At my campus there's a neon orange GT outpost that I really like. I really want to get some of those oakley razorblades sunglasses but unfortunately they never really got cheap as ebay will confirm.
    All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

mtbr member
    Here's my girlfriends Clockwork Orange

Still used most weekends

mtbr member
    That Orange is awesome, its even more awesome Magura HS11/33's with Evo mounts.Thats got Euro MTB written all over it!

Front Range, Colorado
    O<<"Bring back neon,bring back neon"
    \|/
    _ A_

That's me trying to get the message out. Sorry that's the best I could do with a cell phone.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    "Bring back neon,bring back neon"
    I couldn't agree more, this whole flat black on everything trend these days is so boring
    All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxes88 View Post
    I couldn't agree more, this whole flat black on everything trend these days is so boring
    you all asked for it. the crazy yellow decals on the wheels and forks had to go, though.

2011 marin pine mountain 25th anniversary edition:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old neon bike photos please..........-dscn0169.jpg  

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    you all asked for it. the crazy yellow decals on the wheels and forks had to go, though.

2011 marin pine mountain 25th anniversary edition:
    Nice!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here's my late 80's Klein Pinnacle. I have changed the post and saddle from this hideous combo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old neon bike photos please..........-pinnacle.jpg  

gearstomorrow
    I just acquired this beast and brought it back to life! Total cost $22.

Before.

After.

First ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Love it! That's a great color. Good to see it going in the woods, how does it ride? you did pretty good for 22 bucks, fenders alone are worth more than that!

gearstomorrow
    Thanks man! I was blown away with the ride quality, it fits me like a glove.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good to hear. You should make a video of it, so hard to find videos of neat old bikes being rode in the woods.

Team Brooklyn
    These are the only two bikes of mine with any neon:

Here is one:

And my other:

Wanted: more of the same ... but different

gearstomorrow
    I'm working on a short video of it. I should have enough footage to put something together soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looking forward to it! Also could you please send me the original resolution of that pic where it's leaning against a tree, or a link to it? Thanks, it makes a great wallpaper.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast