Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Official WTF outing thread, Craigslist, eBay etc

177K views 1K replies 211 participants last post by  Roge 
#1 ·
So the VRC has some odd feelings about outing of articles found on eBay (not as much) Craigslist (quite a bit) and various other venues of purchase.

Some feel it's no big deal, ever, others feel it should never be done, while yet still others think it's fine, with certain parameters met, like not in my backyard, only if no one would want it anyway, it's fine cause it's so obscenely overpriced it's good for a laugh, etc.

This thread is offered as education for the newb, solace for the member who just got strung up about it, and in general, a place to hash it out, pretty much unrestricted. Not gonna change anything, but we VRCer's do like to go on and on about the same thing, forever, must be all our time spent with steel wool and lacquer thinner:D Other sites feel that this practice is AOK, but this place is a bit different. I took over as mod, and the rule was in place. I keep it up, since it makes a number of folks feel like their sacred hunting grounds have a protector of sorts.

Discuss, keep a modicum of decency, and have at it.

The official word can be found here amongst all the rules and guidelines: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521682

For those too lazy to read that much, a direct thread link to a good discussion of it is here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521682

That one is old though, so we'd better rehash it some more:rolleyes:

:D

See less See more
#1,127 ·
Jestep, you most definitely could not overnight it for $140. Making a guess, here, but the person probably put in a dimension, making a WAG or possibly a really big bike box, that made it oversize, which jumps up the price quite a bit.

If this is something your interested in, suggest the person look at bikeflights.com and do the homework for them. Quick check for selecting a mountain bike with a generic weight of 65 lbs, three day is $62.

I believe bikeflights benefits from volume discounts which the seller would not. Most people don't ship bikes very often and the ebay calculator is pretty lousy, so help the seller out.

#1,140 ·
Bicyclebluebook.com is substantially off or did you mean statricks.com is substatially off? Cause I don't think there is anything special about this balance bike to warrant a $3k to $4k price range. Bike blue book looks to be spot on with a $100 and $200 price range.

#1,143 ·
I tried to explain to the seller 6 months ago but it's still here, now $400 cheaper. I guess they think it's partly a trek due to the TREK labeled chain stay protector.

Attachments

#1,155 ·
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

This proflex has been for sale for about the last 6 years now. I am amazed the seller is still reposting it on CL at the same price for this this long now. A few years back I offered him $120. Don't really know what it's worth, but that's what I was willing to pay. Sure is not worth $1,120 in my opinion considering I bought a 854 for $20. Needless to say he didn't bite.

#1,156 ·
^ Reminds me of a road bike that has been on my CL for a few years. It's at a pawn shop and I think they must have really gotten taken on it. Originally the ad mentioned how great it shifted (you could see in the photos it had been converted to a single speed) how it was full Dura Ace (despite seeing Ultegra in the photos) and all these carbon parts (including the seat post that was silver). I emailed them and pointed all this out. They ignored it. I think they finally started posting it as a single speed but they were still obviously trying to recover their money.

#1,157 ·
New favorite!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialize...d=122821588613&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

Specialized big hit downhill bike
Complete Custom built setup
One off build
No expenses spared

Specialized frame / Showa kxf front end
Shimano Xtr derailer / Shimano Dxr cranks
Sun ringle rear wheel / excel mx front wheel
Fox rear shock / front 12" travel kxf Showa forks
Kxf triples / Hays Hydraulic disc brakes Welgo Magnesium pedals
pivotal seat & post

THIS IS A BIG ATTENTION GETTER PEOPLE HAVE STOPPED ME WITH
TRADE OFFERS AND TO TAKE PICTURES.

Attachments

#1,159 ·
partial HONDA motor bike
Incomplete Custom setup
One off build
Several expenses spared

frame / no front end
Single rear wheel / no front wheel
Fox rear shock / no forks
Hydraulic rear brakes
seat

THIS IS A BIG ATTENTION GETTER PEOPLE HAVE STOPPED ME TO ASK ME WHAT THE HECK I WAS THINKING AND TO TAKE PICTURES.

Motorcycle Wheel Automotive tire Rim Spoke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.