Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by klasse View Post
    This bike is "murdered out" it's totally sick, check it out: SPECIALIZED!!IMMACULATE MURDERED OUT "SPECIALIZED" MOUNTAIN BIKE !
    The seller also cleaned and lubed the fork bearings, so it must be good.

mtbr member
    oooo they have one here too

Mtn Biker Machinist

Outing: Huffy Ironman Titanium Boron Steel!

This was too good to pass up!

Huffy Ironman Titanium Boron Steel Mountain Bicycle Bike MTB Shimano Kalin 1999 | eBay

Hope someone scores this, after all, it's made of Titanium Boron Steel .

Sorry, I needed a laugh this morning, and now I have it! Carry on.

frog

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    1-piece cranks FTW.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I didn't know FTW made cranks too

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    I didn't know FTW made boat anchors too
    There fixed it for you!

For the longest time, I thought FTW meant Frank the Welder too! One of my students had to educate me on the other meaning! Guess that means I'm getting old!

frog

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    It's not Frank, my favorite welder?

Natural Born Killer
    It says "titanium boron steel" right on it, it has to be true!
    A guy could definitely take that bike off some sweet jumps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

This is one BADA$$ bike!:)

My apologies for outing this but.............it is a great ad.

Nuke-Proof 1976 Emory Unisex Industrial Cruiser

Nuke-Proof 1976 Emory Unisex Industrial Cruiser - $250 (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)

Date: 2012-10-02, 1:50PM PDT
    Reply to this post bc4vn-3311918003@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

first, i'll tell you the basics about this bike, and then i'll tell ya a little story of it's history.

it's an Emory Unisex Super Deluxe Industrial Cruiser, made in 1976 by the Aerofast bicycle corp, in Jacksonville Florida. that means USA quality.

here's the brochure:

hand straightened 16 ga. hi carbon steel frame with reinforcing struts mig welded and shot peened for stress relief
    superstrong step - through frame on unisex
    tig welded 16 ga. hi carbon steel fork shot peened for stress relief
    integrally welded chainguard fittings with three point attachment
    Wald balloon fenders
    heavy duty, High Flange alloy front hub
    Bendix coaster brake
    11 ga. spokes on Sun Metal Products steel rims
    Wald Handlebars, gooseneck, cranks, headset and bottom bracket, pedals and sprocket.
    Carlisle tires.

these bikes are still made today, and cost a whopping $599.95!

now, lemme tell ya about MY bike.

when i was 11, i lived in Tucson, AZ in 1980, and i was riding my bmx bike around and saw this bike chained to a fence. i thought it was a crazy looking bike at the time, and there was an old nerdy guy with thick-ass glasses pulling weeds out of the front yard.

i asked him about the bike, and he told me he took it from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Berkely (https://www.llnl.gov/about/history.html) when he left. Emory had supplied them with 200 bikes or something to ride around the place, and he snatched this one up when he went crazy and fled the place.

the LLNL was at the forefront of building nuclear weapons in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, in case you were wondering. i dunno how much radiation this bike absorbed, but it just made it stronger.

this old guy was pretty nutty and living a pretty secluded life in the desert, so something musta happened that drove him mad, but i didn't give a **** about that, i just wanted the bike.

as luck would have it, he had "removed" 2 bikes from the LLNL, one male, and this unisex bike. this one was for his wife, and she left him, so he didn't want it anymore.

so i got a deal on it. i don't even remember how much i paid. at the time, it was probably a lot of money for an 11 year old.

the bike was pretty beat up lookin, as it'd been sitting in the desert for a while, but it cleaned up good. the rims were already spray-painted black (as well as the nipples, in that "**** masking tape!" method popular at the time.

i dunno what happened to the old guy, but i kept the bike for a long time. moved to orange county soon after that, and rode this bike everywhere.

got hit by cars twice on it, and nothing happened (to the bike, anyway. me and the cars suffered some damage...)

i've had a shitload of bad ass bikes in my life, and still do, but i've always loved this bike. it's still got the same innertubes in it. and it HUMS when you ride down the street. seriously, it's like "HMMMMMMMMM i'm so happy to roll along HMMMMMMMM" it makes you smile, especially when your drunk.

speaking of riding around drunk, this bike's awesome for it, because you can't hurt it. curbs? **** curbs. curbs don't exist in this bike's vocabulary. curbs are just little bumps. up or down, don't matter. this bike has been ridden by so many drunk people it's like a taxi cab. never complains, always there when you call it, and goes straight, even if you can't.

which brings us to why i'm selling it.

i moved from costa mesa to westminster about a year ago, and i hadn't been riding it much, and my roommate in CM needed a bike to ride, so i let him borrow it. he wasn't the most responsible guy, but he was alright.

so i'm over there the other day for a bbq, and there's my bike, in the backyard, rotting away, orange paint all oxidized, tires flat, and ****ING UNLOCKED! it ain't the most secure of houses, and there's drunken party goers there all the time, and this one of a kind motherf'en bike is just sitting there waiting for some drumcircle sitting, hackey sack playin white guy with dreadlocks freak to ride it away.

F that. this bike didn't survive nuclear radiation at the test lab, the harsh desert of tucson, and my drunken ass evel kneivel impressions for 36 ****en years to wind up with bathtub flowers stuck all over it and abandoned at burningman covered in the stench of patchouli oil. no freakin' way!

so once again, i brought it home, cleaned it up again, and rode it around for a few days. it's still got that little hop in the back wheel, the tires still hum, and it's a goddamn great motherf'en bike.

but i just don't have time to enjoy it. riding it once a month isn't enough for this bike. it likes getting punished. it likes torn up chicks with crappy tattoos riding on the handlebars. it likes smashing into cars and running over rollerbladers.

so buy it. it's freakin awesome.

and, you better fuken lock it up.

oh, and if you ever want to sell it, give me first dibs. like i said, i love this bike...

and you may think 250 is a lot for a beat up cruiser, but that's because you don't know anything. i'm not going on sentimental value, i'm going on an american made product, built to last through any zombie apocalypse, through the second coming of christ, and the end of the mayan calender. a motherf'ing asteroid could make a direct hit at a million miles an hour on this bike and you could still ride it to get some smokes...

call, text, Baird at 714-614-3750 anytime.

mtbr member
    Must have this bike.

REALLY?
    Dont really care for the bike, doesnt really look like anything special to my eyes, love the story though....lololol.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    The story IS the bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    " BIKE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND WAS BARELY RIDDEN. I'M 100% POSITIVE THAT IT HAS LESS THAN 100 MILES ON IT"

Ha Ha! You be the judge.

TREK Y-22 Y22 Y 22 CARBON FIBER BICYCLE BIKE MOUNTAIN XTR OCLV | eBay

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by John Barrett View Post
    " BIKE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND WAS BARELY RIDDEN. I'M 100% POSITIVE THAT IT HAS LESS THAN 100 MILES ON IT"

Ha Ha! You be the judge.

Almost makes me want to buy a Trek, if only so I can b*tch strip it and run over the frame with a bulldozer in front of the corporate offices.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Almost makes me want to buy a Trek, if only so I can b*tch strip it and run over the frame with a bulldozer in front of the corporate offices.....
    C'mon man, don't hold back, let it out ... let it all out and tell us how you really feel
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    let it all out and tell us how you really feel
    I dunno, if I did that, I might end up in jail
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Barrett View Post

Ha Ha! You be the judge.

Actually, looking at that bike put a smile on my face. For some reason, it seems so satisfying to see a bike that has been ridden into the ground. It is super depressing to see one that was left outside to rot. But, when all the life has been lovingly squeezed from it? Freakin awesome! That bike can tell some seriously awesome stories Most bikes seem to get sold before their life is totally up, because people seem to outgrow the components before they are worn (or, latest/ greatest shinies catch their attention).

Haha, what an awesome thread idea! I am going to check if there already is one, and revive it. Otherwise, I am gonna make one

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Actually, looking at that bike put a smile on my face. For some reason, it seems so satisfying to see a bike that has been ridden into the ground. It is super depressing to see one that was left outside to rot. But, when all the life has been lovingly squeezed from it? Freakin awesome! That bike can tell some seriously awesome stories Most bikes seem to get sold before their life is totally up, because people seem to outgrow the components before they are worn (or, latest/ greatest shinies catch their attention).

Haha, what an awesome thread idea! I am going to check if there already is one, and revive it. Otherwise, I am gonna make one
    Just imagine what's on the bike rack.
    Last edited by RoxMDO; 12-30-2012 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Can someone explain the purpose of this Campy pneumatic saddle?

Brown Campagnolo Electa Pneumatic Leather Saddle | eBay

Natural Born Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by classen View Post
    Can someone explain the purpose of this Campy pneumatic saddle?

Brown Campagnolo Electa Pneumatic Leather Saddle | eBay
    Umm, that's obviously for taking your blood pressure while riding, everyone knows that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    Umm, that's obviously for taking your blood pressure while riding, everyone knows that!
    THAT'S where you're supposed to take a blood pressure???

Damn, I've been doing it wrong all these years ...
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Once a bike sits on CL for a week, is it fair game to out it?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    Once a bike sits on CL for a week, is it fair game to out it?
    no. unless it's priced under a BBC pricing strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    no. unless it's priced under a BBC pricing strategy.
    Fair enough. So now that it's gone, who got that *****in' pink and silver 'comfort bike' from the San Diego craigslist?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    oooh! The Ibis?! Yeah, who got it?!!

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast