Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    VRC Hound

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)

What's It Worth (WIW)
    This is about as difficult to define as the definition of 'vintage retro classic'. There is no clear answer. And though this question is asked often, its almost always asked of a different part or bike...making links to helpful threads difficult.

Whats it worth? What is your bike worth? Are you sitting on a gold mine? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to determine the value of your bike. Put it on eBay for $.99 and let it ride. This probably the most best way to figure the value. Of course, how well your auction description is and how clean and nicely you take pictures of your bike will also affect its value. MTBR.com has a 'Vintage' section in the classifieds. It hits your target audience perfectly.
    If you don't want to sell your bike, but just want to know if it has value...take these things into account:

* Age of the bike.
    * Originality of the bike (paint, parts)
    * Condition of the bike (paint, parts)
    * Is it a low production run bike? Custom/Hand made by a reputable craftsmen?
    * Component list? Are the parts 'top or the line' or quality aftermarket upgrades?

Worth....or value, will always be a gray area. What may be worth a lot to you, may be worth very little to someone else. Even something suchs as sentimental worth can sometimes affect market value. Do your research. Watch local Craigslist and eBay for like items to gauge the worth (value) of what you have.

All WIW questions will be dumped into this thread.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    panaracer tire, absolutely no markings other than a crocked label, I would guess 2.1 big knobs all the way around the sides into the skinwall. It is still in great shape. there is a pair with like 10 miles on them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-img_0016.jpg  

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-img_0017.jpg  

mtbr member
    They look kinda dry, non?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    This maybe kinda of a dumb one here it goes. This came up for sale it a Univega Land Rover, i know these aren't as good as the Alpina's but i though i could use it for parts or something. It has the bullmoose bars, arayas 7x and it has a Bi-Plane fork, i wouldn't have thought about buying it because i have a tone of bullmoose bars and arayas, but i don't have a bi-plane fork.

Just curious what the fork on it would be worth and what kinda of fork it would be, i figured it would be Tange, and was there any other companies that made bi-plane forks for mtbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-univegalandrover.jpg  

1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

mtbr member
    I wont get my feelings hurt over the lack of response on my Lobster . Moving on... I've been eyeballing this one for a few days. It's a few hours from home so I haven't laid eyes on it yet. Thoughts?

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-ritchey-ascent-1.jpgOfficial What is it Worth thread (WIW)-ritchey-ascent-2.jpg

mtbr member
    $200
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I think most on this forum see suspension and yawn, as for the tig Ritchey I would say $300

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    I think most on this forum see suspension and yawn, as for the tig Ritchey I would say $300
    I have not considered removing the Mag21... However I am not opposed to it. Rigid 1" thread less MTB forks can't be too hard to find.

Thanks for your reply!

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    I have not considered removing the Mag21... However I am not opposed to it. Rigid 1" thread less MTB forks can't be too hard to find.

Thanks for your reply!
    Leave the Mag 21 on there. It looks great as it is. I'm not sure of the value, but Lobsters don't seem to sell for that much even though they are top notch frames.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Frame: 20" Mongoose Pro Massif (01 or 02)

Fork:Rockshox Sid XC fork

Wheelset: Weinmann Discovery rims laced to shimano hubs.
    (Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 Rear, Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 Front)

Crank: Stylo 3 ring

Shimano Hydraulic Disc Front
    Shimano Deore V-Brake rear
    XT rear derailleur
    LX front derailleur
    Deore Shifters

Kore Seatpost, Stem, Handlebar (possibly Ti?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Anyone have an idea on this one? 97 specialized Bart Brentjens gold edition M2. They made 100 of these frames. I bought it from a buddy who raced on the specialized grass roots team back then. I guess that makes me the second owner. I am planning to post it in the paid for sale section once I get an idea of what to ask. Here are the specs and pics. Everything is era except the v brakes but I do have vintage maguras as well.

Gold M2 frame
    Rock shock Judy red DH forks
    Top line cranks
    Full xtr drivetrain including hubs

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

A little better pic.

mtbr member

1989 Stumpy Team

Just picked this up yesterday, all original, except for the grips and i took the GC's off and put Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo on it.

Nevermind how low the saddle is its way to big for me, its a 21" frame. I'm gonna take it for a ride tonite to see if its comfy or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-stumpyteam.jpg  

1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YakimaDeathYaks View Post
    I'm gonna take it for a ride tonite to see if its comfy or not.
    You can't tell just by looking at it? I hope you have long arms.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Those Stumpies were nice riding bikes. Its probably comfy for someone in the 6'+ range.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Again, silently stalking this one... Ibis Alibi from the late 90's. May be slightly too new for this forum too, seems to be a trend this week! WIW???

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-ibis-alabi.jpg

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    98 sid, 96 xtr, 517 (maybe 217?) citron, geax hook and warp (i think), looks like ibis bars and stem. if the fork holds air and doesnt have corroded stanchions, and the paint is nice, thats a jem. $800-1000?

mtbr member
    I got an Alibi 98ish for my stepson through the MTBR classifieds: $50 Frame only. He likes it.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

VRC Illuminati
    Again, silently stalking this one... Ibis Alibi from the late 90's. May be slightly too new for this forum too, seems to be a trend this week! WIW???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ibis Alabi.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	811595

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by s4gobabygo View Post
    98 sid, 96 xtr, 517 (maybe 217?) citron, geax hook and warp (i think), looks like ibis bars and stem. if the fork holds air and doesnt have corroded stanchions, and the paint is nice, thats a jem. $800-1000?

It should be worth $800-1000 because its a cool bike with a reliable build...but I bet it's worth closer to $600 give or take $100. V-brake bikes have it rough. Can't use cantilevers, can't use disc brakes.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    It should be worth $800-1000 because its a cool bike with a reliable build...but I bet it's worth closer to $600 give or take $100. V-brake bikes have it rough. Can't use cantilevers, can't use disc brakes.
    I was thinking the same thing: it's worth and value are two very different numbers and I was thinking people would pay $500-600 for it.

Some bikes just don't have that panache even though they are worth every penny and more.

mtbr member
    I'm not crazy about aluminum VRC bikes or I'd already own it! I might love the parts spec just enough to make an offer though. As for V brake bikes/forks, you just need to get a little creative to mount canti brakes! Thanks for the info! I'll post a new thread if I decide to pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys! Live and learn... Two more to go!

Next up: 1982 Stumpy

Question:
    In your (speaking to the group) opinion, does an untouched find bring more money than a sorted and polished one? It's a little late with my Stumpy as I've lightly cleaned and loved on this one, stopping short of a full tear down, clean, and rebuild. Mostly got it ready for camping and neighborhood cruising.

Thoughts?

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-stumpy-path.jpg

mtbr member
    i was watching one on Fleabay the other day a 83 oneowner with 20 miles sell for $340. I think whoever got that got a damn good deal. Ive found a couple locally both way too big and they wanted $500 or more for them.

Question:
    In your (speaking to the group) opinion, does an untouched find bring more money than a sorted and polished one? It's a little late with my Stumpy as I've lightly cleaned and loved on this one, stopping short of a full tear down, clean, and rebuild. Mostly got it ready for camping and neighborhood cruising.

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stumpy path.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	812968
    1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

VRC Illuminati

Question:

Thoughts?
    Original is more desirable than 'updated' with new, but low end parts.

Great shape but dusty is fine, but a quick clean and lube is better. Rusty sucks.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Sure, I'm mostly referring to the $25,000 Stumpy on Fleabay that I believe to be newer than mine, less original, and not very clean...

Barn fresh = big $$$?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast