Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    VRC Hound

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)

What's It Worth (WIW)
    This is about as difficult to define as the definition of 'vintage retro classic'. There is no clear answer. And though this question is asked often, its almost always asked of a different part or bike...making links to helpful threads difficult.

Whats it worth? What is your bike worth? Are you sitting on a gold mine? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to determine the value of your bike. Put it on eBay for $.99 and let it ride. This probably the most best way to figure the value. Of course, how well your auction description is and how clean and nicely you take pictures of your bike will also affect its value. MTBR.com has a 'Vintage' section in the classifieds. It hits your target audience perfectly.
    If you don't want to sell your bike, but just want to know if it has value...take these things into account:

* Age of the bike.
    * Originality of the bike (paint, parts)
    * Condition of the bike (paint, parts)
    * Is it a low production run bike? Custom/Hand made by a reputable craftsmen?
    * Component list? Are the parts 'top or the line' or quality aftermarket upgrades?

Worth....or value, will always be a gray area. What may be worth a lot to you, may be worth very little to someone else. Even something suchs as sentimental worth can sometimes affect market value. Do your research. Watch local Craigslist and eBay for like items to gauge the worth (value) of what you have.

All WIW questions will be dumped into this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Questions about bridgestone mb3

Hi i'm new to this forum and new to biking in general. I'm a student who recently recovered from some major surgeries and i can no longer run to stay in shape so I am planning to start to bike for a cardio workout. I have never had a serious bike but yesterday one of my dads friends gave me his black Bridgestone MB3 named Amy. Im not sure if its from Rim Cyclery but there is a Rim Cyclery sticker on it (dont know if that matters). I had never heard of this bike, but I read some reviews that sounded pretty positive about this model bike. My questions are:
    Do folks still ride this model bike these days?
    Is there a way to figure out the year of the bike? All i know is its probably at least 15 years old.
    How does someone like me know what parts need to be replaced on an old bike like this and which ones dont?
    Everything looks to be in perfect shape, i don't think its seen much wear, except for the tires, which are flat. I took it into the local bike shop and the guy said he'd never heard of it but that the tires were pretty old. He sold me new tubes which i haven't installed yet, but mentioned i might need to upgrade the tires and other parts on the bike. As i said, it looks to be in great shape (the guy that gave me the bike keeps his stuff, multiple race cars, perfect and is a total perfectionist and keeps his stuff super clean) besides the tires so i dont wanna get taken advantage of and buy a bunch of new parts i dont need.
    Any tips on what parts might need to be replaced to make this thing safe to ride?
    What kind of recommended maintance should i do or have done?
    Has anyone heard of this model/make? What does everyone think of the mb3 in general?
    And lastly, does this bike still have value?
    Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Bridgestone bikes in general are well made and respected by those who know something about bikes. They stopped importing bikes to the US at the end of the 90's for various reasons, and now they are something of a "cult classic", especially the high-end models such as the MB-0, MB-1 and RB-1. The MB-3 is still a very good bike and the components on it are most likely just fine, but if the kid at your local shop didn't recognize the name he's probably too young (or too cool) to appreciate anything less than a 6" travel full suspension bike made in the last 3 years .

Post some pictures if you can, it will help us to tell you if anything looks wrong or out of place. If your dad's friend took care of it, it probably just needs a bath and some chain lube to be rideable, but we like pictures around here so go ahead and post a few .

John Galt
    An MB-3 is a great bike - cool and vintage, but not so rare or high-end that you wouldn't want to ride it a lot. As far as what to do, I agree that photos would be good. Also, what type of riding do you plan to do (on-road, off-road, type of off-road, etc)? That will help us give advice.

Depending on how much you want to do yourself, you may consider getting a book like Zinn and the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance to learn about basic maintenance all the way up to major work. If the bike's been kept inside and used little, it may not need much.

Here's a site where you can ID the year of your bike with original catalogs:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgest...tml#catalogues

Old School
    Often, bikes that sit for long periods simply lose air from the tubes. There might not actually be a leak. I would first just add air to the tube and see what you get. Maybe it will hold. Check the tires and see if they're at least suitable (safe) for a test ride.

Then, add a little bit of light oil to the chain and the moving parts of the drive train (front and rear derailleurs). Get the rear wheel elevated off the ground and give the pedals a couple of turns. (you can hook the nose of the saddle on a tree branch, garage door, rope etc. as a make-shift bike rack to hold the bike with the rear wheel raised).

If you turn the cranks and everything seems to move as it should, take it for a test ride. How does it run? Does it shift OK? Maybe in addition to new tires it needs some lube in the cables, minor adjustments, etc.

If you can figure it out -- great. If not, the local bike shop can do a simple "tune up". If that seems too pricey, look on craigslist.org under the bike section. See if anyone in your area works on bikes. It may be cheaper than the shop for a few simple adjustments and a tire installation.

That is a great bike for a free gift and completely suitable.

Cheers,
    Joe

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the input and advice everyone. I used the link provided and looked up Amy's year by using her serial number, which was M0CC44065. Supposedly the first number after the initial letter is the year made, which would make her a 1990...i think. Anyways, i dont have a digital camera so no pictures for the moment, but here is a link showing the exact bike, color and all. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgest...ne-1990-07.htm
    Mine would be the 'black model' shown in the the picture on the top right. Its got all the original richie logic and bridgestone decals and only a few minor scrapes, but other than that she seems to work alright. Once the new tubes in and air in them i'll though i'll take her for a ride and see for sure (already tried to pump them up before buying new tubes, and you could hear a leak and watch it deflate as soon as you stopped pumping). I will work on getting an actual picture soon. As for the kind of riding i plan to do, most likely a lot of street riding but i am at the beach and in an area with lots of fields and dirt roads and trails and stuff so hopefully i'll take her all those places and more. What kind of riding was this model bike designed/made for? Also, it was the owner of the shop that hadn't heard of bridgestone and he was in his 40s so maybe hes just out of it..
    Anyways its great to hear this is still an acceptable bike. I can't wait to ride her. Anyone else with advice/opinions i'd love to hear them. Thanks guys.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Sounds like you got a great deal (can't beat free). The MB-3 is a mid-level mountain bike designed for trail riding, so you'll have no problems riding it pretty much anywhere off road as long as it still has knobby tires. They were built to be durable, so don't be afraid to go exploring on it. It's fine on the road too, just be sure you lock it up (including the wheels) if you use it for commuting, and if it has a quick release seat post binder take the seat and seat post with you when you lock it. I guess it depends on where you live, but I've seen too many people riding home without a seat, or walking a wheel-less bike to trust anyone on the street.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knamel
    Also, it was the owner of the shop that hadn't heard of bridgestone and he was in his 40s so maybe hes just out of it..
    Wow...yeah...he's out of it...

Old School
    Quote Originally Posted by Knamel
    he was in his 40s so maybe hes just out of it..
    There we go -- a new sig quote. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sho220
    Wow...yeah...he's out of it...
    +1. If a shop owner in his 40's told me he's never heard of a Bridgestone, he's either pretty clueless or he's deliberately "forgetting" in order to hard-sell something "new." Either way, I might want to look for another shop.

The MB-3 is a great bike, capable of just about anything that can be done with two wheels. Clean it up and enjoy the heck out of it! Here's mine, a 1989:

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    MB-3 is a great bike. I bought one new in 1992 and road the crap out of it for many years. I would change the tires/tubes, lube it and ride it!

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    panaracer tire, absolutely no markings other than a crocked label, I would guess 2.1 big knobs all the way around the sides into the skinwall. It is still in great shape. there is a pair with like 10 miles on them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-img_0016.jpg  

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-img_0017.jpg  

mtbr member
    They look kinda dry, non?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    This maybe kinda of a dumb one here it goes. This came up for sale it a Univega Land Rover, i know these aren't as good as the Alpina's but i though i could use it for parts or something. It has the bullmoose bars, arayas 7x and it has a Bi-Plane fork, i wouldn't have thought about buying it because i have a tone of bullmoose bars and arayas, but i don't have a bi-plane fork.

Just curious what the fork on it would be worth and what kinda of fork it would be, i figured it would be Tange, and was there any other companies that made bi-plane forks for mtbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-univegalandrover.jpg  

84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member
    I wont get my feelings hurt over the lack of response on my Lobster . Moving on... I've been eyeballing this one for a few days. It's a few hours from home so I haven't laid eyes on it yet. Thoughts?

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-ritchey-ascent-1.jpgOfficial What is it Worth thread (WIW)-ritchey-ascent-2.jpg

mtbr member
    $200
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I think most on this forum see suspension and yawn, as for the tig Ritchey I would say $300

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    I think most on this forum see suspension and yawn, as for the tig Ritchey I would say $300
    I have not considered removing the Mag21... However I am not opposed to it. Rigid 1" thread less MTB forks can't be too hard to find.

Thanks for your reply!

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    I have not considered removing the Mag21... However I am not opposed to it. Rigid 1" thread less MTB forks can't be too hard to find.

Thanks for your reply!
    Leave the Mag 21 on there. It looks great as it is. I'm not sure of the value, but Lobsters don't seem to sell for that much even though they are top notch frames.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Frame: 20" Mongoose Pro Massif (01 or 02)

Fork:Rockshox Sid XC fork

Wheelset: Weinmann Discovery rims laced to shimano hubs.
    (Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 Rear, Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 Front)

Crank: Stylo 3 ring

Shimano Hydraulic Disc Front
    Shimano Deore V-Brake rear
    XT rear derailleur
    LX front derailleur
    Deore Shifters

Kore Seatpost, Stem, Handlebar (possibly Ti?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Anyone have an idea on this one? 97 specialized Bart Brentjens gold edition M2. They made 100 of these frames. I bought it from a buddy who raced on the specialized grass roots team back then. I guess that makes me the second owner. I am planning to post it in the paid for sale section once I get an idea of what to ask. Here are the specs and pics. Everything is era except the v brakes but I do have vintage maguras as well.

Gold M2 frame
    Rock shock Judy red DH forks
    Top line cranks
    Full xtr drivetrain including hubs

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

A little better pic.

mtbr member

1989 Stumpy Team

Just picked this up yesterday, all original, except for the grips and i took the GC's off and put Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo on it.

Nevermind how low the saddle is its way to big for me, its a 21" frame. I'm gonna take it for a ride tonite to see if its comfy or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-stumpyteam.jpg  

84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YakimaDeathYaks View Post
    I'm gonna take it for a ride tonite to see if its comfy or not.
    You can't tell just by looking at it? I hope you have long arms.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Those Stumpies were nice riding bikes. Its probably comfy for someone in the 6'+ range.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Again, silently stalking this one... Ibis Alibi from the late 90's. May be slightly too new for this forum too, seems to be a trend this week! WIW???

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-ibis-alabi.jpg

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    98 sid, 96 xtr, 517 (maybe 217?) citron, geax hook and warp (i think), looks like ibis bars and stem. if the fork holds air and doesnt have corroded stanchions, and the paint is nice, thats a jem. $800-1000?

mtbr member
    I got an Alibi 98ish for my stepson through the MTBR classifieds: $50 Frame only. He likes it.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

VRC Illuminati
    Again, silently stalking this one... Ibis Alibi from the late 90's. May be slightly too new for this forum too, seems to be a trend this week! WIW???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ibis Alabi.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	811595

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by s4gobabygo View Post
    98 sid, 96 xtr, 517 (maybe 217?) citron, geax hook and warp (i think), looks like ibis bars and stem. if the fork holds air and doesnt have corroded stanchions, and the paint is nice, thats a jem. $800-1000?

It should be worth $800-1000 because its a cool bike with a reliable build...but I bet it's worth closer to $600 give or take $100. V-brake bikes have it rough. Can't use cantilevers, can't use disc brakes.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    It should be worth $800-1000 because its a cool bike with a reliable build...but I bet it's worth closer to $600 give or take $100. V-brake bikes have it rough. Can't use cantilevers, can't use disc brakes.
    I was thinking the same thing: it's worth and value are two very different numbers and I was thinking people would pay $500-600 for it.

Some bikes just don't have that panache even though they are worth every penny and more.

mtbr member
    I'm not crazy about aluminum VRC bikes or I'd already own it! I might love the parts spec just enough to make an offer though. As for V brake bikes/forks, you just need to get a little creative to mount canti brakes! Thanks for the info! I'll post a new thread if I decide to pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys! Live and learn... Two more to go!

Next up: 1982 Stumpy

Question:
    In your (speaking to the group) opinion, does an untouched find bring more money than a sorted and polished one? It's a little late with my Stumpy as I've lightly cleaned and loved on this one, stopping short of a full tear down, clean, and rebuild. Mostly got it ready for camping and neighborhood cruising.

Thoughts?

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-stumpy-path.jpg

mtbr member
    i was watching one on Fleabay the other day a 83 oneowner with 20 miles sell for $340. I think whoever got that got a damn good deal. Ive found a couple locally both way too big and they wanted $500 or more for them.

Question:
    In your (speaking to the group) opinion, does an untouched find bring more money than a sorted and polished one? It's a little late with my Stumpy as I've lightly cleaned and loved on this one, stopping short of a full tear down, clean, and rebuild. Mostly got it ready for camping and neighborhood cruising.

Thoughts?

Name:	Stumpy path.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	812968
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

VRC Illuminati

Question:

Thoughts?
    Original is more desirable than 'updated' with new, but low end parts.

Great shape but dusty is fine, but a quick clean and lube is better. Rusty sucks.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Sure, I'm mostly referring to the $25,000 Stumpy on Fleabay that I believe to be newer than mine, less original, and not very clean...

Barn fresh = big $$$?

mtbr member
    No, maybe more desirable, but the guy that has it listed for 25k is insane, search the sold auctions for "vintage stumpjumper" and that will give you an idea of what they sell for. They were mass produced, not saying they aren't nice but you'd be real hard pressed to get a grand out of one, maybe a full on pink team issue. Its not gonna bring Ritchey type money or any other handmade bike, and some fillet brazed Ritchey's don't even bring a grand in good condition.

If it is a 82 which they made only 500 or so maybe a few more you have a better shot at getting more than $5 or $600, if its a 83 they made 15 to 20,000 of them.

Sure, I'm mostly referring to the $25,000 Stumpy on Fleabay that I believe to be newer than mine, less original, and not very clean...

Barn fresh = big $$$?
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

gobsmacked Moderator

Barn fresh = big $$$?
    You're kidding, right? You are aware that there's a difference in what people pay for stuff vs. what people want for it right? You just named yourself as an example today with your Rock Lobster. Don't use unsold ebay auctions that have been wallowing in the morass of foreverville as your compass on value.

mtbr member
    I just check the sold bikes in the last couple months, usually its a month because i do alot on my phone, that way i can determine a ballpark value to list something for. I just sold the Stumpjumper Team i had put on the first page of this thread for $300 buy it now started it at $225 and a guy offered $300. Instead of putting some crazy number on a bike that might take forever to sell. Thats what the crazy BBC does, they never sell any of there complete bikes, mainly components. I think the rarest thing they have for sale is a Fat Chance for 6 grand and to top it off has Pro Caliber for 25gs that doesn't make any sense. There just trying to drive the value up on there stock by putting high prices on everything then maybe everyone else will follow...kinda dumb
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You're kidding, right? You are aware that there's a difference in what people pay for stuff vs. what people want for it right? You just named yourself as an example today with your Rock Lobster. Don't use unsold ebay auctions that have been wallowing in the morass of foreverville as your compass on value.
    Just looking for some guidance. Trying to get the most for my babies, hopefully others are learning from this exchange too. And no, I don't expect to get anywhere near 25k for my Stumpy. I would, however, like to know if its worth more untouched or overhauled. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

If no one is interested in what these bikes actually sell for I'll keep it to myself. Though I doubt this is the case.

mtbr member
    I know this much the people that are the regulars on here know alot more about bikes than you or I do and sometimes there answers aren't what you wanna hear but there at least being honest about it 99% of the time, i thought alot of them were kinda jerks at first but if you do your own research and troll around here you can learn alot from them, and then the lightbulb will come on in that head and you'll realize.....you should have read some of the posts before it was cleaned up
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

gobsmacked Moderator
    I know this much the people that are the regulars on here know alot more about bikes than you or I do and sometimes there answers aren't what you wanna hear but there at least being honest about it 99% of the time, i thought alot of them were kinda jerks at first but if you do your own research and troll around here you can learn alot from them, and then the lightbulb will come on in that head and you'll realize.....you should have read some of the posts before it was cleaned up
    I was gonna say, you seem to have learned a lot because I remember when you first came aboard. Glad you just wrote that! I learned a lot too. It certainly was trial by fire when I first landed as well.

VRC Illuminati
    I used to frickin' HATE you. Now you coo.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I was gonna say, you seem to have learned a lot because I remember when you first came aboard. Glad you just wrote that! I learned a lot too. It certainly was trial by fire when I first landed as well.
    Didn't like you either. Still don't.
    -eric-

gobsmacked Moderator
    Didn't like you either. Still don't.
    I weep. You owe me money.

mtbr member
    Get a room you two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

1985 Mt Tam

Hi All,
    I have a 1985-86 Fisher Mt Tam. I bought a one new in 85' but the seat collar separated from the seat tube within the first month. So they sent me an 86' model at the end of 85' because they did not have any more 85' green/yellow fades left to send me.

I rode it all the time for 3 years before it became a back-up bike and lived in the garage up until now. I am considering selling it but am not sure of potential interest or value.

Some pics:
    Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-126_2617.jpgOfficial What is it Worth thread (WIW)-126_2619.jpgOfficial What is it Worth thread (WIW)-126_2620.jpgOfficial What is it Worth thread (WIW)-126_2627.jpgOfficial What is it Worth thread (WIW)-126_2625.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    in crested butte we received three or four of the first ten stump jumpers ever made. but two months before they showed up at bicycles etc., the tune-up bike shop in gunnison had received the unavega alpina. these are, imho, the first mass produced mountain bike in world. my brother still has one, but it's stored outside. what's it worth? so i can talk him into putting it inside where i think it belongs. did anyone see the 25,000 stumpy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by den haag View Post
    in crested butte we received three or four of the first ten stump jumpers ever made. but two months before they showed up at bicycles etc., the tune-up bike shop in gunnison had received the unavega alpina. these are, imho, the first mass produced mountain bike in world. my brother still has one, but it's stored outside. what's it worth? so i can talk him into putting it inside where i think it belongs. did anyone see the 25,000 stumpy?
    Can you get a S# off of it?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by den haag View Post
    The Stumpy or Univega?

Several years ago I sold a first generation Stumpy in great condition on eBay and it sold for maybe $500? I forget the price but it wasn't a huge amout. The bike was cool because it was one of the first mountain bikes and started the sport, however, it was hand's down the worst riding bike I've ever owned.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by bewheels View Post
    I rode it all the time for 3 years before it became a back-up bike and lived in the garage up until now. I am considering selling it but am not sure of potential interest or value.
    Fisher's don't bring in much money when sold, unfortunately. It's a great looking bike and probably rides really well.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Not sure without pictures, but assuming you're saying it's been out in the open this whole time, a rusty univega is only going to be a $60 bike at the end of the day, if that.

That GF is nice and should be worth more than it gets. I think it's the obnoxiousness of Gary's own self promotion that tanked his own brand. I would keep it as it looks great and a fun bike.

SS in CO
    what's a good price to pay for a set of used Cooks Bros Racking cranks? 175mm, black, with both single and triple ring setup? there's some scuffing on the arms, but they're straight. not sure what to offer for them.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

gobsmacked Moderator
    Depends on the model. Do you know which ones?

SS in CO
    here's pics from the seller:

I don't know enough about them to know what model...

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Maybe $120 with the change out cotters, there is a set on Fleabay for $41 with a couple days left in really nice shape.
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

velocipede technician
    Looks like williwoods old cranks, he sold those for 120
    looking for 20-21" P team

SS in CO
    ok, thanks guys. what years were these made?

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's the "F" series cranks made from 1996-2002.
    Brand new NOS with new rings goes for about $400 and ones in the pictures above would sell in the $90- $150 range.

SS in CO
    cool. thanks!

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Suntour MP-1000's

So last night I sold a road bike which resulted in me getting cash as well as a Univega Alpina Ultima, I believe it is a 1983.

I believe there is a pair of Suntour MP-1000's on it. If I post a picture later today can someone help me identify them? I've also noticed that on some vintage BMX forums they seem to be pretty popular, could someone also suggest what they are worth?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

1995 Trek 8700 ZX Series ATB Carbon Frame

Original owner of this rig been sitting around collecting dust most of it's 18-year life. Frame comes in at just 1697 grams as pictured. I have all the original parts to put it back together with Deore LX group and Rock Shox Judy XC less the orignal grips, saddle, tires, rear wheel and stem.

WIW complete or frame only?

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-20130819_210835.jpg

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-p1070998.jpg

1995 Trek 8700 SHX - BikePedia

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Found 1998 Klein Pulse Comp

Asking $125. Completely stock, in good shape. Original Bontrager FS Plus 10 saddle is immaculate and the Rock Shox Indy C fork still works. I'm thinking about upgrading this to Shimano XTR M951 parts and Mavic SUP 517 wheels and flipping it for a profit. Yea or nay? Or, should I just ride it and keep it for it's cool vintage appeal?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Bike Blue Book Value

Quote Originally Posted by driftin'by View Post
    Original owner of this rig been sitting around collecting dust most of it's 18-year life. Frame comes in at just 1697 grams as pictured. I have all the original parts to put it back together with Deore LX group and Rock Shox Judy XC less the orignal grips, saddle, tires, rear wheel and stem.

WIW complete or frame only?

Name:	20130819_210835.jpg 
Views:	2494 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	825372

Name:	P1070998.jpg 
Views:	2364 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	825373

1995 Trek 8700 SHX - BikePedia
    Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by driftin'by View Post

WIW complete
    $250 +/-

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Keep it.

Putting better parts on it and selling it won;t net a profit. The parts would be worth more by themselves than if hung on a '98 Pulse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i was trying to find an old pic of my 1992 wheeler 7700 with easton frame. no luck
    amazing the quality parts on it from the early 90s.
    i had upgraded the tires, added shimano 747 spds, added a manitou 3 shock (brand new for 93 i believe) and it had mavic rims...man i wish i had it back!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by djkev21 View Post
    i was trying to find an old pic of my 1992 wheeler 7700 with easton frame. no luck
    amazing the quality parts on it from the early 90s.
    i had upgraded the tires, added shimano 747 spds, added a manitou 3 shock (brand new for 93 i believe) and it had mavic rims...man i wish i had it back!

Not as common in the US, but I bet you can find one in the UK (or on RBUK).
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    That's the "F" series cranks made from 1996-2002.
    Brand new NOS with new rings goes for about $400 and ones in the pictures above would sell in the $90- $150 range.
    Howabout a virgin pair of e-cranks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoMike View Post
    Howabout a virgin pair of e-cranks?
    Good condition used E-types have been selling in the $100-$180 range depending on cosmetics. NOS unused unmounted goes for higher prices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cheers.

Yeah, these are unmounted...

mtbr member
    Hi. I just saved this rockhopper comp out of the back of my buddies truck headed to the dump. Should I have left it there? What do I do with this? Should I get some tires, tune it up and hit the trail retro-style? I love the chromoly and like the idea of putting a new fork on it. Is that possible with this head tube? Thanks, Brian.
    Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-img_0444.jpg

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-img_0449.jpg

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-img_0450.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    free bike you say? a tune-up is all you'll most likely need and a good cleaning and you got yourself a nice grocery getter or bar bike.

mtbr member
    OK, without the link this time....

Whats the market on a decent late 80's Nishiki Alien with Tange tubes & fork? Looks to be mostly origional with Deore/XT all over. Some paint flaws, but i think it'll clean up nicely. Haven't seen it in person yet as it is for sale across town.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My wife finally "won" a battle, if I want to keep buying more bike stuff, I need to sell some first...

The problem is I have no idea how much things go for..

Here are a few examples..

Ritchey Ascent is sad shape but complete.
    Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-photo-m.jpg

Kona fire mountain frame in sad cosmetic shape but no dents of deep damage with a Mag 21 fork.

I also have a Kona Explosive frame (size 17") a black stumjumper "comp" M2 (1995 I think) and a 91' Stumpjumper team in black and purple (size 17") just to name a few..

Anyway thanks for the help..

Oh please no powerbar wrapper comments, I like cliff bars more anyway..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You might get $100 for the Ritchey and $50 for the Kona on craigslist.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    You might get $100 for the Ritchey and $50 for the Kona on craigslist.
    You should limit your knowledge distribution to Control Tech

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Kona wasn't ever anything special and the Ritchey is beat.
    Maybe if it had better pictures or a more complete bike, then you might have me but otherwise is typical Craigslist bike fodder.

Another reason is that vintage bike frame prices have been dropping significantly in the last few months. this could be a seasonal price fluctuation or it could be that with the economy the way it is, more people have been flooding the market with older frames.
    FWIW, I just picked up a 93 Klein fram with original moonrise paintjob for $202.
    Last edited by zygote2k; 09-10-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added info

mtbr member
    Kona wasn't ever anything special and the Ritchey is beat.
    Maybe if it had better pictures or a more complete bike, then you might have me but otherwise is typical Craigslist bike fodder.

Another reason is that vintage bike frame prices have been dropping significantly in the last few months. this could be a seasonal price fluctuation or it could be that with the economy the way it is, more people have been flooding the market with older frames.
    FWIW, I just picked up a 93 Klein fram with original moonrise paintjob for $202.
    Ritchey Ascents usually go for around $3-400 depending on condition I think. Konas have some nice frames, but not really collector bikes unless you're in the UK it seems.

Which Klein frame did you get for $202?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post

Which Klein frame did you get for $202?
    Pinnacle with matching RS.

mtbr member
    That's about normal. It's the Kleins with the rigid aluminum forks that are highly sought after.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know an Attitude or Adroit is the much preferred frame- I'll get one for $500 shortly.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by J3s View Post
    I just bought this GT I-Drive marathon 2 months ago. Couldnt find much about this bike, but I was wondering… did I pay to much? I know it’s a model that isn’t around a lot, so maybe a new classic. Think it’s a ‘03/’04 you tell me…. B200920075 BI-1313

Fork : Rock Shox SID Worldcup blackbox fork (stock)
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RL23
    Brakeset: Shimano XT-disk
    Shift Levers: Shimano xt-dualcontrol
    Front Derailleur : Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR (STOCK)
    Crankset: Shimano XT
    Seatpost: Easton AE
    Handlebar: Easton AE
    Handlebar Stem: Easton AE
    Hubs: Shimano XT
    Rims: Mavic XC717
    Modern bike in a vintage forum is worth $0.00.
    -eric-

J3s
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Modern bike in a vintage forum is worth $0.00.
    Didn't say it was a vintage bike. Thought a 10 year old, rare model, bike could be named "a classic". I'll wait another 5 or 10 years and ask again.
    MTB's are around since '79, so I think a 10 year old bike in the history of 34 years of MTB is quite old... and not a modern bike.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by J3s View Post
    Didn't say it was a vintage bike. Thought a 10 year old, rare model, bike could be named "a classic". I'll wait another 5 or 10 years and ask again.
    MTB's are around since '79, so I think a 10 year old bike in the history of 34 years of MTB is quite old... and not a modern bike.
    Not so much around these parts. Anything after cantilever brakes is new...let alone a mid travel full suspension bike with disc brakes.
    No such thing as a 'rare' GT. Looks like I-Drives are selling between $200-500. Maybe you'll get more for yours since its clean and a Marathon variant.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

1998 Gary Fisher Joshua X1

Have a 1998 Gary Fisher Joshua X1 in NEW shape since my wife only took it out a few times on paved trails, less than 10 miles I'm guessing. All original. The BB says $275 (here), but any chance it's worth more?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    according to BBB, it's got low end components. If yours has higher end components or is in excellent like new condition, you might be able to get more money for it. That particular bike wasn't well received by the masses either.

No chance.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

CBI 2L
    Dec 2012
    I think you overpaid...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRTIN View Post
    I think you overpaid...
    maybe, but I doubt you can get one for cheaper.

CBI 2L
    Dec 2012
    maybe, but I doubt you can get one for cheaper.
    Replying affirmatively would mean I'd be bragging about buying a Pinnacle and that's something I'm not willing to do at this point.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by smrtin View Post
    bragging about buying a pinnacle and that's something i'm not willing to do at this point.
    lol!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Replying affirmatively would mean I'd be bragging about buying a Pinnacle and that's something I'm not willing to do at this point.
    Ive never heard of anyone complaining about older Kleins- you would be the first. I understand it's not an Adroit or an Attitude but it does have the original Moonrise paintjob in great condition. Is there some issue with Pinnacles that you're not saying?

CBI 2L
    Dec 2012
    Is there some issue with Pinnacles that you're not saying?
    Thread is called 'What it's worth' - you said you paid $200 for a Pinnacle, I said I thought you over paid. End of story.

The Pinnacle is a fine bike, but Klein made 1000s of them and they are available all day long for a song and a dance, regardless of the paintjob. Case in point I bought one a couple weeks ago for $80 just to get some Ti chainrings that were on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ok- I wasn't trying to argue, just wondering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thread is called 'What it's worth' - you said you paid $200 for a Pinnacle, I said I thought you over paid. End of story.

The Pinnacle is a fine bike, but Klein made 1000s of them and they are available all day long for a song and a dance, regardless of the paintjob. Case in point I bought one a couple weeks ago for $80 just to get some Ti chainrings that were on it.
    FWIW, I just saw another one sell on Fleabay for $336. That seems like a high price, I paid in the middle and you got a good deal.

mtbr member
    Bontrager CX. I realize it's not a mountain bike but you guys are the ones with the knowledge in this area. Black with original steelman fork. Ridden but in very good condition. Not original componentry, modern campy shifters running xtr and a dura ace crankset. Pics to follow. WIW?

mtbr member
    More important, what size is it?

velocipede technician
    Details count
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdboxerdog View Post
    Bontrager CX. I realize it's not a mountain bike but you guys are the ones with the knowledge in this area. Black with original steelman fork. Ridden but in very good condition. Not original componentry, modern campy shifters running xtr and a dura ace crankset. Pics to follow. WIW?
    Top tube is 56 ctc actual,
    Chorus carbon shifters running xtr rear and suntour front
    Dura ace crankset, xt headset, Thompson setback post, machine tech cantilever brakes, beautiful salsa stem.

Hopefully my pic will show up...

Edit-it has become painfully obvious I am not a photographer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)-kindle_camera_1377944381000.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Very pretty bike.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast