Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)

269K views 1K replies 318 participants last post by  jestep 
#1 ·
What's It Worth (WIW)
This is about as difficult to define as the definition of 'vintage retro classic'. There is no clear answer. And though this question is asked often, its almost always asked of a different part or bike...making links to helpful threads difficult.

Whats it worth? What is your bike worth? Are you sitting on a gold mine? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to determine the value of your bike. Put it on eBay for $.99 and let it ride. This probably the most best way to figure the value. Of course, how well your auction description is and how clean and nicely you take pictures of your bike will also affect its value. MTBR.com has a 'Vintage' section in the classifieds. It hits your target audience perfectly.
If you don't want to sell your bike, but just want to know if it has value...take these things into account:

* Age of the bike.
* Originality of the bike (paint, parts)
* Condition of the bike (paint, parts)
* Is it a low production run bike? Custom/Hand made by a reputable craftsmen?
* Component list? Are the parts 'top or the line' or quality aftermarket upgrades?

Worth....or value, will always be a gray area. What may be worth a lot to you, may be worth very little to someone else. Even something suchs as sentimental worth can sometimes affect market value. Do your research. Watch local Craigslist and eBay for like items to gauge the worth (value) of what you have.

All WIW questions will be dumped into this thread.

See less See more
#1,142 ·
Early 90's AMP Research B2 original with XTR M900

I picked up this bike about a decade ago in Newport Beach, CA from a personal friend of Horst Leitner. It was pretty dirty and hadn't been maintained in a while, but I had always wanted one of these when I was younger so I picked it up as a restoration project.

Once I started the restoration I noticed some unique things I haven't seen on any other B2. The most noticeable is the front AND rear AMP disc brakes. The front hub is a custom job with no branding and the rear is a standard Shimano hub with a custom disc mount bracket that's been attached to the hub with 3 small hex bolts. The rear brake mount is a custom made bracket that is attached to the seat stay with 2 hex bolts.

But the most unique thing about this bike is the way the chainstay attaches to the front triangle. On every other B2 I've seen there is a mount point/pivot welded to the main triangle, but on this frame there's a removable bracket instead.

Take a look at all the pictures and let me know what you guys think.

The original grips were trashed so when I finished the restoration I picked up some classic Ourys that I thought fit the time period of the bike. Also, the tires don't match at all but are on there just so I can occasionally take it for a spin around town.

Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory
Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Bicycle frame
Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Automotive lighting Bicycle frame Bicycle part Carbon Rim
Bicycle Bicycle frame Vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Sports equipment
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Sports equipment
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Sports equipment Bicycle frame Bicycle tire
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle frame
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Tire
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Tire Wheel Bicycle Land vehicle Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Bicycle part Material property Bicycle handlebar Composite material
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part Synthetic rubber
Photograph White Light Bicycle part Automotive tire

#271 ·
Is it a ordinary jeep or a special one?
I have been on paternity for a month hanging with the baby and building a Jeep with virtually no internet time, all I can say is boy I have missed this place....... 😉
Haha, guys. Congrats, datmony!

and

Geeez. Please stop guessing. Just step away from the keyboard when you're searching for whatever random number to throw out there.

#1,114 ·
Hi all, new to the site and I hope I'm doing this right.

I'd love to know the general value of my old Ritchey P-21. It's been in storage since my college years (UCSC circa '93). I recently dusted it off and replaced the tires/brake pads so I could putt around on the local trails.

I believe the bike is a '92 or '93, mostly original XT with a few extra bits: NukeProof ti hubs, a few a ti replacement bolts, Chris King headset. I also have the original fork, it's never been mounted or cut. Everything was sourced around 1993 except the tires/tubes/pedals/brake pads which were recently replaced so I could ride it :)

Here's a link to hi-res photos:
Ritchey P-21

It's a fun bike, still feels lively and it's very very light. Thanks very much for your time!

#3 ·
Bridgestone bikes in general are well made and respected by those who know something about bikes. They stopped importing bikes to the US at the end of the 90's for various reasons, and now they are something of a "cult classic", especially the high-end models such as the MB-0, MB-1 and RB-1. The MB-3 is still a very good bike and the components on it are most likely just fine, but if the kid at your local shop didn't recognize the name he's probably too young (or too cool) to appreciate anything less than a 6" travel full suspension bike made in the last 3 years :p.

Post some pictures if you can, it will help us to tell you if anything looks wrong or out of place. If your dad's friend took care of it, it probably just needs a bath and some chain lube to be rideable, but we like pictures around here so go ahead and post a few :thumbsup: .

#10 ·
sho220 said:
Wow...yeah...he's out of it...:eek:
+1. If a shop owner in his 40's told me he's never heard of a Bridgestone, he's either pretty clueless or he's deliberately "forgetting" in order to hard-sell something "new." Either way, I might want to look for another shop.

The MB-3 is a great bike, capable of just about anything that can be done with two wheels. Clean it up and enjoy the heck out of it! :thumbsup: Here's mine, a 1989:

#599 · (Edited)
Early Schwinn Homegrown 94

I have a early Homegrown from a racing buddy of mine years back. Found frame #s HS7136. I know for a fact it is at least 95. While I was searching I found a small crack on the top of steer tube. I think its been cracked for a long time. Is this a common?
I am just pulling out of the closet for a full tune up.

Any idea how to determine if it is a 94 or pre 94 it was custom painted in Niwot Colorado by Rainbow cycle craft.
Could it be earlier since it went strait to one on the schwinn expert team?

I am wondering what it may be worth?

Race Face Cranks
Bullseye hubs
xtr rear xt front
Grip shift 800
chris king
syncos stem, seat post, bars
Dia-comp-pc-800 brakes

Attachments

#1,029 ·
S-Works steel from 1994-1996 range. Serial number is 93XXXXX. Reciept says 1996.

Has usual chips and dings. As well as a dent on one tube. Also some paint issues around the front logo and headset area.

Component list:
- Front Fork: RockShox SID XC with pump
- Headset: Chris King Threadset
- Brakes: XTR BR-M951 / 950
- Brake Levers: XTR BL-M950
- Front Derailleur: XTR FD-M900
- Rear Derailleur: XTR RD-M900
- Crankset: XTR FC-M900
- Cassette: XTR CS-M900
- Rear Hub: XTR FH-M950
- Rear Skewer: XTR
- Pedals: XTR clipless pedals and the ones shown
- Front Hub: White Industries Tracker
- Front Wheel: 26" Mavic 217 S.U.P. CD Ceramic
- Front Tire: Specialized Dirt Control Sport 26x1.9
- Rear Wheel: 26" Mavic x618 CD
- Rear Tire: Specialized Dirt Master Sport 26x1.9
- Seat: Selle Italia
- Seatpost: Easton ct-w 26.8 carbon fiber nlm

Repairs/maintenance needed:
- Need seal kit on shocks
- One tire needs new tube
- Needs new grip shifter handles (rubber is breaking down)

Thanks!

Attachments

#1,032 ·
Late 80's Grove X

Would $200-$250 be a fair price for a custom Grove X 19" frame w/ Hothead bars and Hot Rod cranks. It also has matching 1st gen Rock Shocks, a first time for Grove painters.

It needs some TLC as it has been sitting for years. No major issues other than the shocks need new seals, but new cables, brake pads and repack/replace bearings and clean the derailers and it'd be good to go.

Wife wants it gone. I don't want to trash it due to its rather unique design.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#1,033 ·
Would $200-$250 be a fair price for a custom Grove X 19" frame w/ Hothead bars and Hot Rod cranks. It also has matching 1st gen Rock Shocks, a first time for Grove painters.

It needs some TLC as it has been sitting for years. No major issues other than the shocks need new seals, but new cables, brake pads and repack/replace bearings and clean the derailers and it'd be good to go.

Wife wants it gone. I don't want to trash it due to its rather unique design.

View attachment 1239899
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you received some private messages on this one.

#1,051 ·
1998 Ibis Mojo hardtail mountain bike, with 24 spd XTR groupset, 17" frame

Hello,
Looking to sell my trusty steed...trying to gauge the current value.

History:
I originally bought this bike from a coworker while working at a bike shop, Island Triathlon & Bike, circa 1999 in Honolulu (no paperwork) while stationed at Pearl Harbor. I also rode this bike in England while stationed in London. During my travels, this bike has also been ridden in Canada, CA, AZ, CO, UT, and VA.

Reason for Selling:
Although I love this bike and swore I would never sell it, I no longer have room to store and would rather it find a good home and actually get ridden.

I just listed on ebay if you want to view better quality images.

Specifics:
This is a 1998 Ibis Mojo steel hardtail mountain bike, built with 1999 Shimano XTR 24 spd groupset and Raceface components. This bike is 98% original, one-of-a kind build.

This frame was hand-built in Sebastopol, CA, USA. Although Ibis Cycles doesn't have a historical database for older bikes (all historical data was lost when the company was sold in 2000 to an investment group, different computer system, etc), here's the Ibis Mojo's S/N: 4361.

Below are the detailed specifications:

1998 Ibis Mojo, steel frame, 'Gang Green' color, Small, 17" Seat Tube, 22.25" Top Tube
1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Superfly suspension fork, 65mm travel, 1 1/8" steerer
• includes original shock pump
1999 Shimano XTR 24 speed groupset
• XT front derailleur
XTR Rear cassette, 12-32T
XTR Front/Rear Shifter/Brake Levers
XTR Front/Rear brake calipers
Cane Creek headset
Bontrager Race Lite wheelset w/ Kris King Hubs
Raceface Cranks, 175; triple ring (46/34/24)
Raceface BB, titanium spindle
Raceface seatpost
Raceface stems, 120mm
Raceface bar
Onza bar ends
WTB/Bontrager seat
- also have Raceface 140mm stem and Marzocchi Bomber shock pump

* * non original: new tires, chain, XT pedals

Geometry:
Cyclofiend: Ibis Catalogs & Ephemera: 1998 Model Year

Although the bike is more than 20 years old, it's still in great shape. Yes, it's been ridden and enjoyed, so, it does have some wear and tear from years of enjoyment. But, it has spent more time hanging on the wall than it's been ridden the last few years, main reason it needs a good home.

As shown in the pictures, the non-drive side Ibis decal (downtube) is scratched from a previous shipment, and the top tube has a small 'ding' from a ride (don't recall when/how). Also some scratches around the bottom bracket from the chain popping off during past rides.

Honestly, if I were to keep the bike, I would have it restored with a fresh coat of paint, clear coat, and new decals.

I found a great shop that does restorations, located in MA:

http://www.hottubes.com/

Full restoration quote: $900 (frame only), which includes: dent repair, sand blasting, paint, clear coat, decals, all labor. The turnaround time is approximately 6-8 weeks.

I'm sure there's plenty of other options for a cheaper price.

In terms of replacement decals, I've contacted Ibis and they sell all decals for past models online.

Ibis decals:
Chuck Ibis | Chuck Spew

Let me know if you have any questions. I have more pictures if requested.

Attachments

#1,056 ·
Hello,
Looking to sell my trusty steed...trying to gauge the current value.

History:
I originally bought this bike from a coworker while working at a bike shop, Island Triathlon & Bike, circa 1999 in Honolulu (no paperwork) while stationed at Pearl Harbor. I also rode this bike in England while stationed in London. During my travels, this bike has also been ridden in Canada, CA, AZ, CO, UT, and VA.

Reason for Selling:
Although I love this bike and swore I would never sell it, I no longer have room to store and would rather it find a good home and actually get ridden.

I just listed on ebay if you want to view better quality images.

Specifics:
This is a 1998 Ibis Mojo steel hardtail mountain bike, built with 1999 Shimano XTR 24 spd groupset and Raceface components. This bike is 98% original, one-of-a kind build.

This frame was hand-built in Sebastopol, CA, USA. Although Ibis Cycles doesn't have a historical database for older bikes (all historical data was lost when the company was sold in 2000 to an investment group, different computer system, etc), here's the Ibis Mojo's S/N: 4361.

Below are the detailed specifications:

1998 Ibis Mojo, steel frame, 'Gang Green' color, Small, 17" Seat Tube, 22.25" Top Tube
1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Superfly suspension fork, 65mm travel, 1 1/8" steerer
• includes original shock pump
1999 Shimano XTR 24 speed groupset
• XT front derailleur
XTR Rear cassette, 12-32T
XTR Front/Rear Shifter/Brake Levers
XTR Front/Rear brake calipers
Cane Creek headset
Bontrager Race Lite wheelset w/ Kris King Hubs
Raceface Cranks, 175; triple ring (46/34/24)
Raceface BB, titanium spindle
Raceface seatpost
Raceface stems, 120mm
Raceface bar
Onza bar ends
WTB/Bontrager seat
- also have Raceface 140mm stem and Marzocchi Bomber shock pump

* * non original: new tires, chain, XT pedals

Geometry:
Cyclofiend: Ibis Catalogs & Ephemera: 1998 Model Year

Although the bike is more than 20 years old, it's still in great shape. Yes, it's been ridden and enjoyed, so, it does have some wear and tear from years of enjoyment. But, it has spent more time hanging on the wall than it's been ridden the last few years, main reason it needs a good home.

As shown in the pictures, the non-drive side Ibis decal (downtube) is scratched from a previous shipment, and the top tube has a small 'ding' from a ride (don't recall when/how). Also some scratches around the bottom bracket from the chain popping off during past rides.

Honestly, if I were to keep the bike, I would have it restored with a fresh coat of paint, clear coat, and new decals.

I found a great shop that does restorations, located in MA:

http://www.hottubes.com/

Full restoration quote: $900 (frame only), which includes: dent repair, sand blasting, paint, clear coat, decals, all labor. The turnaround time is approximately 6-8 weeks.

I'm sure there's plenty of other options for a cheaper price.

In terms of replacement decals, I've contacted Ibis and they sell all decals for past models online.

Ibis decals:
Chuck Ibis | Chuck Spew

Let me know if you have any questions. I have more pictures if requested.
Bummer about the size. If it were bigger I'd make an offer right now. That's a sweet ride.

#1,068 ·
1996 Klein Pulse II

Time to get rid of this old gem.

1996 Klein Pulse II, Rock Shox Judy XC with speed springs, Kooka crank, Pauls love levers, Shimano XT components with (newer) Sram attack shifters (also have original era correct x-rays), Nuke Proof hubs, Mavic 217 SUP rims, ect. I believe everything is era correct aside from cables, shifters, grips, and tires.

It is in fantastic mechanical condition, completely rebuilt ~100 miles ago. There is some cosmetic wear and tear, notably three dents in the top tube that have been there forever and are unsightly but don't seem to be anything that would cause a failure.

WIW? Looks like some of these components are going for quite a bit on ebay. Am I better off parting it out? I'd rather not but I cannot imagine it going for anything near what the sum of all its parts are going for individually. Also, where is a good place to sell this? Here?? Do I dare put this it on ebay!?! It is in W. Michigan if anyone local is interested.

TIA for any insight!

Attachments

#1,069 ·
Time to get rid of this old gem.

1996 Klein Pulse II, Rock Shox Judy XC with speed springs, Kooka crank, Pauls love levers, Shimano XT components with (newer) Sram attack shifters (also have original era correct x-rays), Nuke Proof hubs, Mavic 217 SUP rims, ect. I believe everything is era correct aside from cables, shifters, grips, and tires.

It is in fantastic mechanical condition, completely rebuilt ~100 miles ago. There is some cosmetic wear and tear, notably three dents in the top tube that have been there forever and are unsightly but don't seem to be anything that would cause a failure.

WIW? Looks like some of these components are going for quite a bit on ebay. Am I better off parting it out? I'd rather not but I cannot imagine it going for anything near what the sum of all its parts are going for individually. Also, where is a good place to sell this? Here?? Do I dare put this it on ebay!?! It is in W. Michigan if anyone local is interested.

TIA for any insight!
Something like $400 if you just threw it on ebay as a complete bike. The components are worth way more though. I hate suggesting parting out a bike, but you could probably get 2 or 3 times as much selling everything separately.

#1,122 ·
That's a time capsule.

I dunno, maybe $800-$1000? Maybe more?

YOU WILL ONLY GET THAT IF YOU SELL TO A COLLECTOR AND LIST ON A GLOBAL MARKETPLACE (Like ebay or retrobike)

Again, the only reason vintage and retro and collectable bikes are worth any money is because somewhere out there is someone who REALLY wants a period correct example of a very rare bike. Local sales? That bike is probably worth $100, because there is probably only ONE person GLOBALLY who is willing to pay top dollar for that bike as it sits.

Basically, you need to get comfortable with PayPal, with boxing and shipping a bike, etc. If you aren't ready for that, the bike is worth exactly what you paid.

#1,176 · (Edited)
Neat bike.

Originally they were kitted out with all the Race Face goodies. Control Tech or Syncros cockpit (stem, post, bar ends) or very rare one piece Race Face handlebar with integrated bar ends. They were manufactured in the USA, likely by Litespeed using Sandvik tubing, but oddly enough got the "Made in Canada" maple leaf, lol

Yours had the fork, bars, stem, and front wheel replaced with modern, considerably less desirable parts. Probably knocks $200-$300 off the value. Collectors like to see stuff identical to the catalogs.

If (and this is a huge IF) you could find a buyer who was looking for one, you might see a few hundred dollars. The problem, as I always reiterate, is finding the right buyer, and that usually means a willingness to ship globally. Locally? It's probably worth $150. If you live on the north shore? Maybe a little more. Again, it's basically worthless on the local market unless you happen to live near a collector and you won't know if the buyer is a collector anyway. You have to ship in order to get any value out of it. I've offered to buy bikes from people that I knew they were worth money, and they did too, but they wanted too much for them. They had no intention of putting the bike on ebay or shipping, and therefore the bike is near worthless because I'm not a collector, I'm a broker of sorts, and I need to earn something for storing, advertising, and shipping rare parts.

It's worth more in parts than it is complete. For example, the cranks alone could probably sell for $200. You could probably get $300 for the frame, binder, cranks and any other original catalog parts. Selling it complete as it sits might bring the same price. The Retro market is weird like that. Part of it is shipping prices. Collectors don't want to pay shipping for "junk" parts. Somewhere out there someone has a Tibolt that fits them perfect and is in mint shape, but they want your cranks and they are willing to pay for them, but oddly, your bike will decrease in value without those cranks.

Reactions: Chiacas
#2 ·
Questions about bridgestone mb3

Hi i'm new to this forum and new to biking in general. I'm a student who recently recovered from some major surgeries and i can no longer run to stay in shape so I am planning to start to bike for a cardio workout. I have never had a serious bike but yesterday one of my dads friends gave me his black Bridgestone MB3 named Amy. Im not sure if its from Rim Cyclery but there is a Rim Cyclery sticker on it (dont know if that matters). I had never heard of this bike, but I read some reviews that sounded pretty positive about this model bike. My questions are:
Do folks still ride this model bike these days?
Is there a way to figure out the year of the bike? All i know is its probably at least 15 years old.
How does someone like me know what parts need to be replaced on an old bike like this and which ones dont?
Everything looks to be in perfect shape, i don't think its seen much wear, except for the tires, which are flat. I took it into the local bike shop and the guy said he'd never heard of it but that the tires were pretty old. He sold me new tubes which i haven't installed yet, but mentioned i might need to upgrade the tires and other parts on the bike. As i said, it looks to be in great shape (the guy that gave me the bike keeps his stuff, multiple race cars, perfect and is a total perfectionist and keeps his stuff super clean) besides the tires so i dont wanna get taken advantage of and buy a bunch of new parts i dont need.
Any tips on what parts might need to be replaced to make this thing safe to ride?
What kind of recommended maintance should i do or have done?
Has anyone heard of this model/make? What does everyone think of the mb3 in general?
And lastly, does this bike still have value?
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.