Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)

269K views 1K replies 318 participants last post by  jestep 
#1 ·
What's It Worth (WIW)
This is about as difficult to define as the definition of 'vintage retro classic'. There is no clear answer. And though this question is asked often, its almost always asked of a different part or bike...making links to helpful threads difficult.

Whats it worth? What is your bike worth? Are you sitting on a gold mine? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to determine the value of your bike. Put it on eBay for $.99 and let it ride. This probably the most best way to figure the value. Of course, how well your auction description is and how clean and nicely you take pictures of your bike will also affect its value. MTBR.com has a 'Vintage' section in the classifieds. It hits your target audience perfectly.
If you don't want to sell your bike, but just want to know if it has value...take these things into account:

* Age of the bike.
* Originality of the bike (paint, parts)
* Condition of the bike (paint, parts)
* Is it a low production run bike? Custom/Hand made by a reputable craftsmen?
* Component list? Are the parts 'top or the line' or quality aftermarket upgrades?

Worth....or value, will always be a gray area. What may be worth a lot to you, may be worth very little to someone else. Even something suchs as sentimental worth can sometimes affect market value. Do your research. Watch local Craigslist and eBay for like items to gauge the worth (value) of what you have.

All WIW questions will be dumped into this thread.

See less See more
#621 · (Edited)
Pristine 1988 Ritchey TimberComp

Asking 1250 now.This one belongs in a museum. Barely ridden all original.

Attachments

#637 ·
1980s Mongoose ATB

Hey guys,
I have this 1980s (not sure the exact year) Red Mongoose ATB. All Original Suntour and Dia Compe Components
Whats new:
Seat
Tires
Cables and Housing
Grips
Pedals

Aside from various cosmetic blemishes, paint chips, scratches, there are no major dents or dings. I'm curious to know what a fair price to ask for this awesome classic would be. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Drew

Attachments

#653 ·
I'm going through boxes figuring out what I'll never use. Some of the odd ball/rare stuff I need to figure out what it's worth. I'll start with this: NOS Westpine Neuron.]
I have no idea, but drop me a line once you figure it out and want to sell, that thing is cool as sh*t!