Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)

269K views 1K replies 318 participants last post by  jestep 
#1 ·
What's It Worth (WIW)
This is about as difficult to define as the definition of 'vintage retro classic'. There is no clear answer. And though this question is asked often, its almost always asked of a different part or bike...making links to helpful threads difficult.

Whats it worth? What is your bike worth? Are you sitting on a gold mine? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to determine the value of your bike. Put it on eBay for $.99 and let it ride. This probably the most best way to figure the value. Of course, how well your auction description is and how clean and nicely you take pictures of your bike will also affect its value. MTBR.com has a 'Vintage' section in the classifieds. It hits your target audience perfectly.
If you don't want to sell your bike, but just want to know if it has value...take these things into account:

* Age of the bike.
* Originality of the bike (paint, parts)
* Condition of the bike (paint, parts)
* Is it a low production run bike? Custom/Hand made by a reputable craftsmen?
* Component list? Are the parts 'top or the line' or quality aftermarket upgrades?

Worth....or value, will always be a gray area. What may be worth a lot to you, may be worth very little to someone else. Even something suchs as sentimental worth can sometimes affect market value. Do your research. Watch local Craigslist and eBay for like items to gauge the worth (value) of what you have.

All WIW questions will be dumped into this thread.

See less See more
#597 ·
Cool bike, way before my time though. Not really intersted in buying it but thought I would share and was curious what others thought the price of something like this should go for. Seller is asking $860.
Optimistic asking price for that particular model. If it was a Tom Ritchey built Fisher Competition...then he could maybe see that number.

#600 ·
Unfortunately relatively common for those frames to develop cracks, every one of them my friends have had over the years cracked in some place at some point. They were ridden hard though.

With the crack I would say that it is mainly worth the value of the parts. Its a shame so many of them have met their maker over the years. I do not like aluminum frames at all but those were a very nice riding bike.

#604 ·
Hey Folks

I have a '94 Ibis Mountain Trials which I'm thinking of selling. I think it was possibly the last Mountain Trials built by then Ibis framebuilder Wes Williams, who left Ibis soon after. I had to special order it 'cause that model wasn't part of Ibis' official lineup at the time.

It sports a set of straight Koski forks, the seatpost is extra long (custom made by Charlie Cunningham) and there are no bottle mounts on the seattube allowing it to be lowered all the way.

It's painted in Ibis "Just Red" which is in really nice condition.

Here's the current build, although I'm thinking about selling it as a frame, fork & seatpost:

Rims: Araya RM-20 - 26" front / 24" rear

Hubs: WTB GreaseGuard - 36 hole

Bottom Bracket: WTB GreaseGuard (square-taper w/pressed-in bearings)

Freewheel: 6-speed Dura-Ace

Rear Derailleur: Deore XT

Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro

Shifters: Deore XT 6-speed indexed thumbshifters (the originals)

Cranks: Specialized cold forged - 172.5 mm

Pedals: Suntour XC Comp with WTB "toe-flips"

Tires: IRC "Trials Expert"

Brakes: Rear - WTB cantilever w/ DKG bridge // Front - XTR V-brake

Brake Levers: Deore XT

Seatpost: Extra long custom made by Charlie Cunningham (WTB)

What do you guys think? Is this a desirable bike? What kind of price do you think it ought to bring?

Thanks!

#609 ·
I have one of those, too. Fun bike, but very challenging to ride well. More info on how mine's outfitted here: RockyChrysler.com: Just about a bike [Ibis Mountain Trials]

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Hey Folks

I have a '94 Ibis Mountain Trials which I'm thinking of selling. I think it was possibly the last Mountain Trials built by then Ibis framebuilder Wes Williams, who left Ibis soon after. I had to special order it 'cause that model wasn't part of Ibis' official lineup at the time.

It sports a set of straight Koski forks, the seatpost is extra long (custom made by Charlie Cunningham) and there are no bottle mounts on the seattube allowing it to be lowered all the way.

It's painted in Ibis "Just Red" which is in really nice condition.

#607 ·
I got spam filtered. Often spammers come in a do a normal post, then come back and edit in a bunch of spam. It must have flagged your change as that and unapproved your post. I have restored it and wish I could have your bike for my personal collection.

When I was younger a LBS in Saskatoon had an Ibis Trials up in their display area but no one every bought it. I wanted that bike so bad. Still do! Hope you keep it and ride the day lights out of it...or send it to me!

#612 ·
1959 Schwinn Hollywood

My wife is looking to sell off this bike. I cant find any frame of reference for how much to sell it for. Also, have no idea the best place to sell it.

Its in excellent shape. I dont have any pictures yet, because I'm missing a rear tire. I just ordered a new set of tires and tubes, which I should have by the end of this week. At that point I can take pictures of it in all its glory.

This link shows exactly what it looks like.

https://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/1959-schwinn-hollywood-300-omaha-ne-americanlisted_25541775.jpg

#613 ·
while a cool bike I am not sure how collectible it is. Go to bikeforums.net and hit the classic and vintage what is it worth section. Those guys are good and they will have a much better assessment. I think the ones that do well are Paramount's Cherry Picker/Apple Krate 5 speeds. Not sure what kind of following there is for the cruisers if any and I am not sure if being a womans/mixte ads or takes away whatever value is there for cruisers. My feeling is it would not be worth much. I could be wrong. Make sure you take pictures of your bike for the experts on bikeforums. The more detailed the better. Driveside fenders serial number etc

#614 ·
Rocky Mountain Sherpa AGE, Value?

I recued this bike from the garbage and I do not know the vintage.

STX Parallax hubs, ritchey vantage rims, shimano STX derailers, super shifter pro Sugino cranks, ss4 diacompe brakes, gripshifters

Serial t9841 0XXX

I this "frame" worth saving or should I toss it?

Attachments

#615 ·
As a coffee getter, bar beater, sure.

About as valuable as a Trek 850 from the mid 90s that's missing most of it's stuff, which is to say, mass produced, around 400 MSRP, and not terribly awesome, but totally functional. Not that excited anymore?

Drop it off at your local co-op or charity bike group, great bones for someone who needs basic transportation.....

#617 ·
Kastan Mountain Bike info

OK new to this forum but avid member of BMXmuseum for years I have a chance to pick this up for an OK price but havent found any info or any others to base value/price on so Im comming here to see what the pros here think or know,all info would be great,thanks

#621 · (Edited)
Pristine 1988 Ritchey TimberComp

Asking 1250 now.This one belongs in a museum. Barely ridden all original.

Attachments