Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)

269K views 1K replies 318 participants last post by  jestep 
#1 ·
What's It Worth (WIW)
This is about as difficult to define as the definition of 'vintage retro classic'. There is no clear answer. And though this question is asked often, its almost always asked of a different part or bike...making links to helpful threads difficult.

Whats it worth? What is your bike worth? Are you sitting on a gold mine? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to determine the value of your bike. Put it on eBay for $.99 and let it ride. This probably the most best way to figure the value. Of course, how well your auction description is and how clean and nicely you take pictures of your bike will also affect its value. MTBR.com has a 'Vintage' section in the classifieds. It hits your target audience perfectly.
If you don't want to sell your bike, but just want to know if it has value...take these things into account:

* Age of the bike.
* Originality of the bike (paint, parts)
* Condition of the bike (paint, parts)
* Is it a low production run bike? Custom/Hand made by a reputable craftsmen?
* Component list? Are the parts 'top or the line' or quality aftermarket upgrades?

Worth....or value, will always be a gray area. What may be worth a lot to you, may be worth very little to someone else. Even something suchs as sentimental worth can sometimes affect market value. Do your research. Watch local Craigslist and eBay for like items to gauge the worth (value) of what you have.

All WIW questions will be dumped into this thread.

See less See more
#556 ·
Unfortunately I'm thinking of selling them to help pay for school so i'm testing the waters to find out what they're worth. I'd like to see them go to someone who can appreciate them and maybe even get them into riding shape again.

I'm not selling yet, just looking to find the value of the bikes. Any further input into that venture would be greatly appreciated.

#557 ·
Unfortunately I'm thinking of selling them to help pay for school so i'm testing the waters to find out what they're worth. I'd like to see them go to someone who can appreciate them and maybe even get them into riding shape again.
Definitely understand, wish I could support your schooling but alas my money is going to living in seattle instead. Make sure to follow the rules if you are selling, Girlonbike doesn't mess around in here.

#562 ·
Fisher Prometheus

My old buddy is thinning his herd, am looking for a starting $ for this bike on Craigslist or eBay,.
Any-almost all suggestions are appreciated:...

Fisher Prometheus Titanium - Ti 3 Al / 2.5 V frame - Size 20" C to C.
Serial Number # F20028 - one of 500 built.
Bike is equipped w/ a Fisher Evolution headset @ 1 1/4 inches.
Frames were fabricated by Sandvik Special Metals (SSM) in Kennewick, Washington through their Titanium Sports Sandvik Titanium (TST) sports division...
Fisher was the first bicycle company to have frames & accessories - stem & bars produced through Sandvik. The company's initial venture into "sports equipment" was their introduction of shafts for golf clubs & then ski poles. Ultimately they produced frames for numerous other well known MTB companies + made tubing available for fabricators in the business as well as producing light weight wheelchair frames.

This particular one owner bike was owned & put together by Stephen J.R. Wilde who worked as a designer for the Gary Fisher Bicycle Company.
Wilde is known for designing, along with various Fisher Bikes parts & componentry of the late '80's, early '90's , the Fisher Alembic, one of the first carbon fiber, full suspension MTB frames (w/ a Mert Lawill 4 pivot rear suspension) which unfortunately met it's demise before it ever went into production when that iteration of Fisher's company folded.

Titanium Parts ---
Stem - Sandvik Titanium @ 135 mm length w/ medium rise.
Bars - Sandvik Titanium flat bar w/ 3 degree bend. Length - 21 inches
Bar ends - Onza Titanium - from the awesome Danny Sotelo
Seat Post - Control Tech custom fabricated Titanium post w/ Control Tech aluminum head created as a gift for Wilde.
There are a number of Titanium bolts throughout including White Industries Titanium bottom bracket bolts.

Fork ---
Rock Shox Judy XC (Yellow)
This fork would need to be serviced / rebuilt (perhaps new seals) as the bike has literally not been ridden in 14 years but it worked well at that time.

Drivetrain ---
Campagnolo final & best MTB gruppo @ 24 speed - 3 front, 8 rear
Includes front & rear derailleurs + top mount bar shifters.
Crankset - Campagnolo MTB @ 175 mm length in powder coat Grey.

Brakes ---
Grafton aluminum - silver finish equipped w/ Avid "tri-dangle" brake cable hangers.
Brake Levers ---
Ritchey Logic Brake Levers in Black.

Saddle ---
Selle Italia Flite - Trans Am Max

Hubs ---
Campagnolo - Front 32 spoke - Campagnolo skewer - (caveat emptor) - front hub has broken flange. Would obviously need to be replaced.
Rear 32 spoke - Ringle skewer.

Rims ---
Front - Campagnolo 32 hole
Rear - Matrix "Single Track ATB Comp" - 32 hole

Tires ---
Michelin Wildgripper Lite S
Specific front & rear designs.
This bike hasn't been ridden in 14 years but the tires were brand new at the time & the rubber looks to be in great shape...ie: no cracks.
I'd suggest new tubes.

Pedals ---
Time MTB's (original model) - if needed, please specify...otherwise not included.

Bottle Cages ---
Steel, generic.

This bike is custom "decaled" as a FISH-HEAD, which played of an "in" joke at the time. Fisher bikes of that era had a seat-tube decal of a rider crossed up, catching air taken from a photo (of Greg Herbold, actually) but rather than his head as would be normal, he had a Sailfish head grafted on. Why ? Only Gary knows.
Wilde went with the FISH-HEAD logo idea as a full logo because at the time, he & Fisher looked enough alike that whilst out riding, too many people assumed he was Gary simply because the bike said Fisher on it, so the FISH-HEAD logo proved to change that particular dynamic.
If a buyer did an on-line search, he might be able to find original transfers which were black & gold w/ the "Gary Fisher" name & a profile of Mt Tamalpais on that model.

This Is an original owner bike that for the most part, is in excellent shape as Wilde always maintained it's working componentry.
This Fisher Prometheus has not been ridden in 14 years.
As mentioned, a new front hub is required & the Judy XC fork would need servicing / rebuilding as in perhaps replacing the seals simply due to age but other than that, with a simple overhaul, this bike would be trail ready. I'd suggest putting a non-suspension fork on it for a real old school look & ride.
Wilde initially rode it with a Sandvik built Titanium straight fork but their fork / handling awareness was limited at the time & it proved to have exceeding flex under braking.

Attachments

#567 ·
My old buddy is thinning his herd, am looking for a starting $ for this bike on Craigslist or eBay,.
Any-almost all suggestions are appreciated:...
Fisher Prometheus Titanium - Ti 3 Al / 2.5 V frame - Size 20" C to C.
I've gotta say Sully, I've never seen one of these sell. I've seen at least a half dozen or more pop up over the years with each owner thinking it was worth a fortune...never a sale.
There was a frame only for sale at a Cupertino Bike Swap a few years back at $500 with no takers. Campy build an a neat backstory/history helps, but with the busted front hub and Judy, I think you're looking at $1k or less.

#563 ·
1990 Bridgestone MB-1

It seems a 1990 Bridgestone MB-1 is for sale in my area. The only picture available indicates it may be in pretty 'rough' shape. The guy selling admits it has slept outside for the past year and a half, but insists it's all original. He's asking $200. The seller is about an hour away from me. Although I haven't looked it over in person, what would be a reasonable offer?

Attachments

#565 ·
Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

I have a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo that was my first mountain bike. I have since upgraded to a new bike and want to sell this one. I know these are decent bikes, but not sure where to start as far as selling it. I want to make sure it ends up with someone who can appreciate a good bike.

Can anyone help me out with the following?
- How do I determine what year it is? I think it might be a '98 based on some other pictures, but not sure how to confirm.
- The frame is in decent shape, but it needs some work in other areas. How much could I get for it?
- Should I sell it on ebay or Craig's List? Any other options?

Thanks!

#571 ·
OK, here's one for ya.

2005 Fetish Discipline
Marzocchi Bomber fork (set up air only, have springs too)
XT drivetrain, 3x9
Avid BB7 brakes
Mavic 717 wheels with WTB Wolverine tires (tires have less than 50 miles)
RaceFace stem/bars/headset
Thomson Elite seatpost

Photo below shows it set up singlespeed but I've since converted it back to 3x9.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

#574 ·
Need help Finding what model and year my GT is and WIW

Hey guys this is my first post here, got recommended by a friend to post to this forum so here I am!

So about the bike I got it about 6 years ago from a friend that recently got a new bike and just sold me this one for cheap so I can ride with him. But since then its been sitting on the side of my house for the last 3-4 years. I totally forgot about it until i had to clean out my yard and saw it under a bunch of bushes. So the last couple days I have cleaned it up by putting a new chain on it and some cheap grips (the other ones ripped apart) and a new seat, and washed it. Bike rides good the tires are still good just took it on a local trail and it did great! So i came here because the only thing I really know about it is that its a GT. And I want to sell it so if you guys can help me and tell me WIW and whats the model and year it is.

Thanks and i can upload more pics if needed!

Attachments

#575 ·
Need help Finding what model and year my GT is and WIW

Hey first post here my friend recomded that i posted on this forum so here I am!

About the bike, I got about 6 years ago from a friend that sold it to me because he got a new bike and so i can ride with him. But since the 3-4 years its been sitting on the side of my house. I forgot about it until i had to clean out my yard and saw it sitting there. So i cleaned it up got a new chain, grips (since the others ripped apart), and seat. The tires were surprisingly in good shape didnt need to be replaced. So I came here to see if you guys can help me find out what model and year it is, and what its worth since I am looking to sell it.

Thanks and if you need more pics just let me kno!

Attachments

#590 ·
Hey first post here my friend recomded that i posted on this forum so here I am!

About the bike, I got about 6 years ago from a friend that sold it to me because he got a new bike and so i can ride with him. But since the 3-4 years its been sitting on the side of my house. I forgot about it until i had to clean out my yard and saw it sitting there. So i cleaned it up got a new chain, grips (since the others ripped apart), and seat. The tires were surprisingly in good shape didnt need to be replaced. So I came here to see if you guys can help me find out what model and year it is, and what its worth since I am looking to sell it.

Thanks and if you need more pics just let me kno!
Avalanche maybe? Possibly even lower end than that. A 'blem' frame to boot. I think you'll struggle to get $100 for it.

Any thoughts on what this Marin is worth? Been watching it on my local CL for a few weeks. Seller dropped from a $200 firm to $140 with original parts only and $180 with plastic pedals, plastic water bottle cages and plastic seat included. Not interested in the plastic downgrades so I would be looking at $140.

I think it is a mid level Marin made in Taiwan, but it's the paint job that I like. Comes with original touch up paint also, which I've never seen with a used bike.
Cool that touch up paint is included. Never seen that before either. Still doesn't change the fact that this is pretty low end. $140 doesn't seem unfair given that it looks pretty clean/not faded.
$100 bike to me though.

#576 ·
Any thoughts on what this Marin is worth? Been watching it on my local CL for a few weeks. Seller dropped from a $200 firm to $140 with original parts only and $180 with plastic pedals, plastic water bottle cages and plastic seat included. Not interested in the plastic downgrades so I would be looking at $140.

I think it is a mid level Marin made in Taiwan, but it's the paint job that I like. Comes with original touch up paint also, which I've never seen with a used bike.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle fork

Shadow Plastic Home accessories

Silver Sock

#586 ·
You guys are crackin' me up here! :)

OP, welcome, you're plainly new, we all were once. There is a what's it worth thread (see the top thread on the page), it's for this sort of question. Posting as you did, is local taboo, and if you plan on selling and using these pages to assist you, forum rules require you to buy a $2 classified ad, which you can post the link to, which acts as spam pass. Right now, whether you meant to or not, you're simply fishing for buyers by starting your own post on the subject.

Post there for better results and info, but I'd highly suggest you don't continue to provoke my personal pet peeve of owning an object that you wish to sell, yet, even with the words right in front of you, spelled correctly and everything, persisting in spelling things incorrectly.

No one wants to buy your Chevi Maliboo, your Aplle laptop, or meet you at Straboks for coffee.......