Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)

269K views 1K replies 318 participants last post by  jestep 
#1 ·
What's It Worth (WIW)
This is about as difficult to define as the definition of 'vintage retro classic'. There is no clear answer. And though this question is asked often, its almost always asked of a different part or bike...making links to helpful threads difficult.

Whats it worth? What is your bike worth? Are you sitting on a gold mine? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to determine the value of your bike. Put it on eBay for $.99 and let it ride. This probably the most best way to figure the value. Of course, how well your auction description is and how clean and nicely you take pictures of your bike will also affect its value. MTBR.com has a 'Vintage' section in the classifieds. It hits your target audience perfectly.
If you don't want to sell your bike, but just want to know if it has value...take these things into account:

* Age of the bike.
* Originality of the bike (paint, parts)
* Condition of the bike (paint, parts)
* Is it a low production run bike? Custom/Hand made by a reputable craftsmen?
* Component list? Are the parts 'top or the line' or quality aftermarket upgrades?

Worth....or value, will always be a gray area. What may be worth a lot to you, may be worth very little to someone else. Even something suchs as sentimental worth can sometimes affect market value. Do your research. Watch local Craigslist and eBay for like items to gauge the worth (value) of what you have.

All WIW questions will be dumped into this thread.

See less See more
#516 ·
2002 GT Backwoods

I just paid $100 for this 2002 GT Backwoods, clean, really good shape.
I have a little project in mind, the only thing I really wanted was the frame, I'm 6ft tall, 230Lbs needed something that was strong enough to carry me around and for what I understand GT's triple triangle design is exactly what I would need.

What do you guys think?

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

#518 ·
This was a parts bike I had found on the cheap. Never seen this style of shcwinn guessing mid 90s? Interested as to if its anything special dont think so though and a price. Used hubs from the wheels to build my bike up.

Attachments

#523 ·
Value on a 1982 or 83 Ross Force 1?

Someone asked me to sell their 1982 or 83 Ross Force 1 for them. The bike is mostly original, and is mint. I can list it on Ebay and take my chances, but since I am selling it for someone else, I'd like to have a good idea of the what the bike might be worth before listing it. Thanks in advance!

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

#525 ·
With that Ross, I'd put it on ebay and take your chances. If you put it on CL, not sure how many people would be interested. They aren't a high demand bike, so only a limited number of people would be interested. Oh, and with that size, you're limited to a sasquatch.

Put it at $99 and let it run.

#528 ·
Need help pricing '89 Bridgestone MB3

Ok, here's the scoop. My daughter's class had a rummage sale and there was the above mentioned Bridgestone. I own one and love it(will never sell it!), and I also know there's "interest" in them. I asked "how much" and the girl said $15!! Being the honest, ethical mom that I am...I just couldn't buy it outright. I told her I'd sell it for the class and hopefully get more than $15. How much should I ask for it? Mostly original, but some newer parts. I can take pics and post later. Also, where should I advertise for best market? Here? Craigslist?

#529 ·
Welcome aboard!

The 3 isn't one of the higher end models, but does have "the name" behind it.

Without pics etc, tough to say much beyond $50 to $150 based on condition etc.

You can advertise it on MTBR by purchasing a $2 classified ad, you can post a link to it here in it's own thread, and it will be locked, but allowed to die a natural death off the bottom of the page, so it'll get decent eyeball traffic.

CL will likely get a bunch of low ballers, but will allow you to dump it easily, locally.

eBay will get you more eyes, but comes with fees, shipping hassles etc, for a bike that really isn't worth a whole lot...

Post some pics if you want more detail.

#531 ·
I have a set of Sram 8 speed ESP Grip Shifters. Sram had no real presence in Australia with 8 speed, but I hate chucking things away that are perfectly new in box like these are.

The problem is that the postage overseas is about $40AUD and I have to wonder whether or not it prohibits selling them. Please don't see this as spam. I am happy to advertise them in the classifieds here, but have to wonder if it is worth it, or if there is demand in a country where they are possibly readily available and if so, what do they cost there?

Cheers.

#532 ·
nuke proof ti hubset

Hi all,

First post on these pages. Finally found the vintage page and am reliving my early married days. Back when I could go to races and still have money to buy new parts.

I'm parting out my first custom build mtb. I've got a pair of nuke proof titanium hubs in purple ano.

Both spin beautifully. The rear engages well but has a bunged up spacer. The front unfortunately has 6 hairline or less cracks. I have no idea how long I rode it like that. But I only weigh 130 so it could have been years.

I've searched for a while but have yet to see another pair like them. They were purchased from the rep at the races in Big Bear, Ca. in 1993. I doubt they are one-off but they do seem exceedingly rare.

Any ideas on value? Thanks in advance, Greg

Attachments

#537 ·
Hi all,
First post on these pages. Finally found the vintage page and am reliving my early married days. Back when I could go to races and still have money to buy new parts.
I'm parting out my first custom build mtb. I've got a pair of nuke proof titanium hubs in purple ano.
Both spin beautifully. The rear engages well but has a bunged up spacer. The front unfortunately has 6 hairline or less cracks. I have no idea how long I rode it like that. But I only weigh 130 so it could have been years.
I've searched for a while but have yet to see another pair like them. They were purchased from the rep at the races in Big Bear, Ca. in 1993. I doubt they are one-off but they do seem exceedingly rare.
Any ideas on value? Thanks in advance, Greg
The purple definitely makes them pretty uncommon. However, they share the common trait of nearly all NP Ti hubs...cracks. It's only a matter of time before the rear fails too.
Hard to say on value. Maybe $100 because it's Ti and the color...but they're really only for display now...so don't expect to make a killing.

#533 ·
hi all. new guy here. looking to get into the sport. i now realize i shouldve posted this here to begin with. the link is the long version. text is the short. thanks.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/hi-new-guy-vintage-rockhopper-question-950567.html

im looking into a early 90s specialized rockhopper sport. it looks super clean in the pics. havent gone to see it yet. its supposedly a 17" frame from crank to top of seat post which should fit from the research ive done. its nicely regarded choromoly frame which is nice. i like the different handle options. i think it looks nice. has a rigid fork which i would prefer from research ive done. my knowledge is limited and id take it to a local bike shop for a tune up.

is it worth $150? anyone guess what year it is?

Attachments

#538 ·
Rockhopper

Found this Rockhopper on CL and am going to see it tomorrow.

Looks like it actually might be the same model as the one redemn93 posted above. This guy is asking $200 but from the pics it doesn't seem like it's worth that.

I don't know what size it is, but I had him measure the standover height and it was 29.5" I'm 6 feet so I'm worried it might be a bit small?

Any advice on what I should look for when I go see the bike in person? Thanks!

Magenta Purple Pink Woody plant Bicycle accessory
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Conifer Tire care
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Bicycle accessory Tread
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke
Yellow Text Bottle Font Logo
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle

#540 ·
1991 Cannondale SE2000

I'm the original owner. It's in very good to excellent condition and mostly stock except for the Rock Shox MAG21s and rigid stem. I still have the original fork but not the Girvin Flex stem.
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle accessory
Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Spoke
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel
Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

This post has been deleted
#545 ·
Please buy it, if only so you can post pics of it with the bar ends oriented in a somewhat sane position!
Here ya go. I put the bar ends in actual ridable position and snapped this pic just for you before removing them completely and adjusting the seat angle.

All original except the saddle, and in great shape. I can't believe how good of shape the tires are in. This bike was not used much which I don't understand because it rides really nice. I am pretty excited about it right now. Think I'll post a few more pics in the official bridgestone thread.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel