Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official What is it Worth thread (WIW)

269K views 1K replies 318 participants last post by  jestep 
#1 ·
What's It Worth (WIW)
This is about as difficult to define as the definition of 'vintage retro classic'. There is no clear answer. And though this question is asked often, its almost always asked of a different part or bike...making links to helpful threads difficult.

Whats it worth? What is your bike worth? Are you sitting on a gold mine? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to determine the value of your bike. Put it on eBay for $.99 and let it ride. This probably the most best way to figure the value. Of course, how well your auction description is and how clean and nicely you take pictures of your bike will also affect its value. MTBR.com has a 'Vintage' section in the classifieds. It hits your target audience perfectly.
If you don't want to sell your bike, but just want to know if it has value...take these things into account:

* Age of the bike.
* Originality of the bike (paint, parts)
* Condition of the bike (paint, parts)
* Is it a low production run bike? Custom/Hand made by a reputable craftsmen?
* Component list? Are the parts 'top or the line' or quality aftermarket upgrades?

Worth....or value, will always be a gray area. What may be worth a lot to you, may be worth very little to someone else. Even something suchs as sentimental worth can sometimes affect market value. Do your research. Watch local Craigslist and eBay for like items to gauge the worth (value) of what you have.

All WIW questions will be dumped into this thread.

See less See more
#173 · (Edited)
I just got a free bike that I want to use as an instructional tool for myself to learn to work on before I eventually go out and spend real money on a real bike. At the same time I don't know if the free bike I got is worth the money I'll be spending on parts. I'd hate to rebuild it and then find out at some point that it's complete garbage. I plan on keeping it as a second bike so I'd like to know I have a quality frame and not just a big box store BSO.

I'm really not concerned with dollar value per se, more just to know if the frame I have is worthy of decent parts, and more importantly, what the heck it is so I know what I can and can't buy/order online. It has (had) 5 coats of paint on it and a mish mash of parts and components that are probably not original. None of the original labels, decals or face plates are on it. It has a single crown fork and a serial number on the seatpost mast about 2" from the top. Google searches have not given me any results. The SN format is one number, one letter, then 5 more numbers (eg: 8D55567). It also has old style cantilever brakes with a hanger and cable that runs from one side to the other. No suspension on the bike at all.

Is this the right subforum for ID'ing bikes or is this one specifically for assessing value to bikes that are identifiable? I have pics but I don't want to come off as a spammer posting them all over the place and piss people off. If I'm in the wrong subforum, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

#174 ·
Yep but you better post a pics before the wolves come out

I just got a free bike that I want to use as an instructional tool for myself to learn to work on before I eventually go out and spend real money on a real bike. At the same time I don't know if the free bike I got is worth the money I'll be spending on parts. I'd hate to rebuild it and then find out at some point that it's complete garbage. I plan on keeping it as a second bike so I'd like to know I have a quality frame and not just a big box store BSO.

I'm really not concerned with dollar value per se, more just to know if the frame I have is worthy of decent parts, and more importantly, what the heck it is so I know what I can and can't buy/order online. It has (had) 5 coats of paint on it and a mish mash of parts and components that are probably not original. None of the original labels, decals or face plates are on it. It has a single crown fork and a serial number on the seatpost mast about 2" from the top. Google searches have not given me any results. The SN format is one number, one letter, then 5 more numbers (eg: 8D55567). It also has old style cantilever brakes with a hanger and cable that runs from one side to the other. No suspension on the bike at all.

Is this the right subforum for ID'ing bikes or is this one specifically for assessing value to bikes that are identifiable? I have pics but I don't want to come off as a spammer posting them all over the place and piss people off. If I'm in the wrong subforum, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

#177 ·
LOL, I'm actually 6'4". It's not that bad. I have a rear brake on order...nobody has them in stock (in my price range).

Just a few more details...when I sanded the paint off, I left it out in the yard and it got rained on a bit. The bare metal was wet but after 3 days it's still not showing any rust. The frame does attract a magnet so I know it's ferrous, just can't figure out why it won't rust.

#178 ·
If you got that bike for free it certainly isn't overpriced. As for the rear brakes I wasn't kidding, they look like they might be Mafac bodies. If you are going to change them give them to me, ha seriously the bike and parts are not worth anything and could cause injury or even death if off road.

#179 ·
Oh, you meant remove them and KEEP them...I get it. They certainly work well, I've just heard horror stories of that horizontal cable coming loose and stopping the bike dead in its tracks.

I'm by no means arguing but what makes you say the bike isn't worth anything? The size? Can you just tell by the frame shape? I actually only plan on using it to ride on paved paths with my kids so off road/trails is certainly not a concern. Is it really that bad? The 5 coats of paint make it look terrible, I know. Just so I know (I'm trying to learn about this stuff), what makes it so bad? The type of fork? The lack of suspension (which I don't really care about)?

And I was pretty sure the parts aren't worth anything. What I'm trying to determine is if it's worthwhile putting good parts on it. If not, why? I'd like to know what to look for for my next aquisition.

#181 ·
Well you just don't know what rust is going on inside vintage forks. My experience is not to trust vintage frames unless you know where they have been. I have large facial scares to prove. As Cher's manager said "just ride it till the wheels fall off" and look she is still around so it does work for some people.

#182 ·
I say keep it for a practice bike to build. Strip it down to bare metal and find out how much work it will be to fix it. Parts come off as easily as they go on. Just don't buy expensive parts that are specific to that particular bike. Find the correct component group and rebuild it.

#183 ·
Vintage Kona Full suspension

I just bought a 1996 Kona "Sex Too" full susser.

It is all standard, except that it has been fitted with "Manitou Mach 5 SX" suspension forks.
These are also from the mid 1990's.

The bike is generally fine, it has Magura hydraulic rim brakes, a high pressure "Fox Alps 4" shock (which has lost it's damping) and the classic Kona 4 point linkage rear end. The frame is a 16"

The weight is only 25 pounds!

The thing is, I am not sure what to do with it. I will have to get the rear shock rebuilt but the front fork seems OK. The brakes work fine and the transmission is all good.
The frame has a few scratches but it is not bad enough to warrant a repaint, although I guess I could get the front main frame done (it's yellow)

What would it be worth? I might fix it up and bang it on the bay.

#186 ·
Some time ago I got a stem/handlebar combo but know little about it, other than it's a Cannondale 1 1/4''

Does anyone know more details? What bikes did it come on, is it a Cannondale product, and what could it be worth?

Polished aluminum
Stem length ~115mm
Bar width 22'' or 560mm
Weight: 299g

Attachments

#187 ·
Need help with serial and value on bike

I have an older Marin Indian Fire Trail
I know the following 7000 custom tube set sticker
its also Titanium. serial CK5KAXXXX
White industries crank
Can anyone tell me what this bike is worth. I bought it new in 1995 and
its hardly been rode.

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

#189 ·
83 Schwinn Sierra

I wish I had a picture but I gave the bike away today. someone gave it to me a few years ago and I haven't ridden it much so I figured I'd pass it on. Now I'm wondering if it was worth something. I am pretty sure it was an 83 Sierra. It was a rootbeer-ish color and was all original as far as I could tell except for tires and seat. It was 10 speed, white oval head badge, diacomp shifters and canti brakes. Any insight as to the worth would be greatly appreciated.

#201 ·
Hey everyone,

I've decided to sell off some of my old stuff, and here I have my old Westpine Scissor Brake. Its in pretty good shape, just needs a lil cleaning, setup for a Manitou EFC, think it will fit a Manitou 4 as well. I know this is really cool and pretty rare, what do you all think it is worth? I was thinking of throwing it on ebay. Give me your thoughts, thanks!