Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread

378K views 2K replies 192 participants last post by  Ranger Mac 
#1 ·
Lots of Ritchey threads on this forum...but now's the time to show off your Ritchey!

Lets see pics of what you've got!

#1,463 ·
I finally get to share

At long last I have finished my P-21 restore. I have owned this early 90's Ritchey for almost 20 years. I am the second owner. The previous owner gave it a good beat-down and crappy orange, yellow, and black repaint. When I got my hands on it the only original parts, other than the frame, were the stem and cantilevers. Everything else had been swapped out for lower end components and the fork replaced with a Tange. NOS parts include both derailleurs, seat post, bars, cantilevers, headset, and fork, which was the most difficult to find, but not the most expensive component. Not exactly as it was on the showroom floor, but exactly as I want it. I raced this bike many times in it's previous incarnation and I'm looking forward to racing it in it's reborn state.

Attachments

#1,466 ·
After taking off the touring pkg this bike really woke up. 1989 I believe, Force stem bars tires. Kinda weird first year LX groupo. just a nice all Ritchey bike I posted for sale. I can't find any promo material on this model.

Attachments

#1,471 ·
Gone Missing: An old yellow Ritchey

Hi all,

So this is likely a long shot, and who knows, maybe this thread it completely dead, but I've got a favor to ask of you all. A couple of years ago my Dad's Ritchey was stolen while I left it unattended outside of a friend's house for a quick moment :madmax: . I've held out hope that it might appear on craigslist or something of that sort, but no luck... which is what brings me here. I'm hoping that, at the very least you might be able to help me to a) identify exactly what kind of frame it was, and b) maybe keep an eye out for it. I have to apologize in advance for my lack of detailed information, so please bear with me as I explain to the best of my abilities what was lost.

The frame was (i think) a late 80's/early 90's Supercomp in Powerbar Proteam Yellow, with a matching unicrown fork. The frame was built up at Mountain & Road Bicycle Repair in Idaho Springs, CO, and has a sticker on the seat tube saying so. It was a 19" or 20", with Deore XT everything, and an Avocet O2 seat. The old gumwall tires had been replaced with black tires (specialized capitan in the rear, and a panaracer in the front). It had a silver quill/stem with a cable hanger, black flat bars that had a 'powerbar' sticker on the right side, canti brakes. I'm working on tracking down the serial number at the moment, but hopefully these pictures will do in the meantime.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part

Tire Wheel Mode of transport Bicycle frame Vehicle

Wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

The last picture is of the bike in its glory days of racing through the Colorado high country! Thanks in advance for any help.

#1,472 ·
You can trust that this thread is never, ever, dead.

I had my first Ritchey, 1981 frame 133, stolen from my Bangkok home nearly 10 years ago. I'm STILL very, very pissed off about it.

That yellow one looks very nice, but I'll let the true experts weigh in. My condolences to your dad. These are bikes we truly love.

#1,474 ·
Well the Supercomp is my best guess for the frame type (based on the two bottle cage mounts on the DT and the fact that it was a 'team' bike).

It was stolen from Bozeman, MT. Like I said in my previous post, I was holding out hope that some drunk college kid/punk just took it for a joy ride, more than 3 years later no sign of the old bike. I figured it might be worth a shot here, as this is one of the keenest-eyed groups for old MTBs i've ever run across.

#1,475 ·
If any desirable bike like this is picked up by a forum member (not just MTBR VRC), it would likely resurface in a post. You've got enough detail to make it identifiable unless the thief covers or removes any of the tells that make it stand out.

It may surface someday. There have been bikes that have surfaced after having been lost for 15 years....so you never know.

Sorry about the loss. Really shitty.

As mentioned, this thread is unlikely to die at any point.

#1,476 ·
It's hard to tell exactly what the frame is form the pics, but it has Tange Prestige decals on the fork and seat tube, so it very likely is a SuperComp.

The yellow is a non-standard color, so if the bike is not repainted it should be pretty identifiable. However, if it's reapainted, unless you have a serial number there will be no way to identify it.

#1,478 ·
Frame ID Help

So I acquired this frame the other day and need a little help nailing down exactly what it is. I think it's a P-23. The guy I got it from didn't know. He took it in on a trade for a Brooks saddle. He sent me a couple of pictures of it before he had it sand-blasted and clear-coated and it only had the "Ritchey" decal left on the down tube. This thing was roached. There a several holes where it was rusted through and about five dingers. Serial number is 913. What do you all think? p-23? What year? Thanks!

Photograph White Line Logo Black
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire

Bicycle frame Line Iron Metal Parallel
Product Metal Grey Steel Composite material
Brown Line Iron Parallel Beige
Iron Metal Khaki Beige Parallel
Iron Beige Metal Cylinder Shadow
Line Iron Grey Metal Bicycle part
Brown Line Shadow Tints and shades Beige
Brown Line Khaki Tan Beige
Brown Line Iron Khaki Metal

#1,479 ·
Sorry, but it's not a P-23, the rear brake cable on P-23 has no rear cable stop, the cable passes around /through the seat tube. Also the seat tube is not ovaled at the botton bracket. Your original decals look like an Ultra, '89 or 90. It could be an Ascent but front fork doesn't have a braze on. So my opinion is '89/ '90 Ultra. This is a nice frame, Tange Prestige and made in the US at TR's shop. Same geometry / tubing as the Super Comp. Bike's made in the US during this time had serial #'s all over the place, after all it gets smokey in a frame shop :skep:

Here's '89 Ultra catalog https://oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs/ritchey/1989/ritchey1989_08.jpg

And here's mine :

#1,484 ·
A guy calls me up and says he bought a Ritchey from me in 1981. Says he hasn't ridden it for a while, do I want to buy it? I told him I am well supplied with that item, but I would like to get some photos of it.

We meet for the photos, and i have to say it almost makes my heart sing, because this bike was USED UP! He raced it all over California for about ten years before retiring it, he broke and replaced about half of what came with it including the fork and Bullmoose bars. Says he had to have the rear wheel rebuilt 'cuz he trashed the rim, but the front wheel that I built is still original. Ahem.

Paint is original but trashed. I didn't ask why it had Tomaselli levers instead of Magura, but I should have.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke

Serial # is 203.

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Metal Iron Steel

Cook Brothers hubs.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Rim

Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle part Shadow

Iron Metal Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory

#1,496 ·
A guy calls me up and says he bought a Ritchey from me in 1981. Says he hasn't ridden it for a while, do I want to buy it? I told him I am well supplied with that item, but I would like to get some photos of it.

We meet for the photos, and i have to say it almost makes my heart sing, because this bike was USED UP! He raced it all over California for about ten years before retiring it, he broke and replaced about half of what came with it including the fork and Bullmoose bars. Says he had to have the rear wheel rebuilt 'cuz he trashed the rim, but the front wheel that I built is still original. Ahem.

Paint is original but trashed. I didn't ask why it had Tomaselli levers instead of Magura, but I should have.

View attachment 1013404

View attachment 1013405

Serial # is 203.

View attachment 1013406

Cook Brothers hubs.

View attachment 1013407

View attachment 1013408

View attachment 1013409

View attachment 1013410
Former owner called me yesterday to tell me he had sold this bike to a member of this forum, for an amount that I will let the new owner reveal. Old owner thanked me for putting him in touch. I won't identify him, but I'm pretty sure the new owner will 'fess up in this thread soon.