Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread

379K views 2K replies 192 participants last post by  Ranger Mac 
#1 ·
Lots of Ritchey threads on this forum...but now's the time to show off your Ritchey!

Lets see pics of what you've got!

#1,703 ·
That's fine build, too. Good you've got the legs for it. I can also tell you that new BB bearings transformed 2R062 into a fine riding machine. I swapped out the wheel set to Kojaks, too. What cranks have you gone with here? They look good. Not to mention those fine treads! Congrats!

#934 ·
Tig P-23's usually have 3 digit #, Tig P-22's usually have 4 digit # but not always :rolleyes:

usually Tig P-21's have a P before a 3 digit # like P479., but not always

Team P series bikes have frame size, P, and a 2 or 3 digit number , like 8P18, but not always

If it has a non Ritchey rear drops outs, its an early P-23, if it has Ritchey drop outs it's a '91 or later P23 or P22 or ?

See this list of serial #'s for P series bikes: Old Mountain Bikes: Ritchey Bike Listing

Hope this helps :D

#728 ·
Today was the first warm day of 2012 so I took the afternoon off of work and went for a ride. Three hours of trails is exactly what I needed. :)

Here are pics of the '83 Ritchey Everest that rides really nice.

Reactions: hollister
#742 ·
Today was the first warm day of 2012 so I took the afternoon off of work and went for a ride. Three hours of trails is exactly what I needed. :)

Here are pics of the '83 Ritchey Everest that rides really nice.
Looking forward to seeing up close in a few weeks EL!

#1,166 ·
Finley Frame Will Ride Again!

I'm a bit of a newbie to the vintage scene but have always appreciated from afar the slack angles, long WB and funky components of the old MTBs...until recently.

Over the holidays I inherited from family a barn-fresh mid eighties Schwinn, nothing special, but almost all original with a funky mix of parts. Well, during my internet ramblings for old schwinn info I stumbled across a Chicken Coop frame for sale at First Flight (I'm sure most of you are familiar with it).

I was completely captivated by the story, and that this was one of the frames that was bought from the Cupertino shop, built and ridden... a lot! I couldn't get it out of my mind, but as you know, no fork no frame! Fortunately (and thankfully) member VeloCulture connected me with a period fillet brazed bi-plane and with some encouragement I pulled the trigger!

So here you go, this is my new project. My goal is to build a "rider" to '81 specs...as if you walked into a BS in '81 and built it up. The frame is a little sweaty but surprisingly not rusty, just nicked and scraped so this will be left as is. I'm thinking of having the fork and bullmoose bars black, etc.

Anyway, any build thoughts from your keen knowledge would be appreciated!:thumbsup:

Attachments

#1,168 ·
#1,444 ·
CK,
Finished your book a while back. Fun read, great pictures. Thank you (anyone here reading a VRC forum should read CK's book). Being a big fan of old Ritchey's and of course Mountainbikes, I found that part of the book the most interesting. I am curious though, after you stepped out of your business with GF, did Mountainbikes, or Fisher (the company) ever pay TR the 60K?

#1,600 ·
frame ID help

Can anyone help determine what year this frame might have been produced?

Any anecdotal info on ride quality, especially as compared to other P series bikes from the same era would also be appreciated.

*this is not my bike
**I know most components are not original, including the fork.

Thank you!

Attachments

#1,622 ·
82 McKinley or Everest.
Don't know how to tell them apart
Likely a McKinley. The difference between the two is a that the Everest came with a lighter head tube (your bike does not have it), and the option to add additional braze-ons like a second water bottle mount (which your bike does have), and the McKinley came in limited number of colors and sizes.

#1,691 ·
'84 Team Comp pics

I think I finally got a few pics to download. Tech challenged. I ordered this bike in June of '84 from Velo Sport in Berkeley with various personal specs like braze on locations for water bottles and rack. Also opted for Phil Wood hubs and bottom bracket. The bike remains unchanged except for changing out the Brooks saddle for a Selle some years back. Also, the little wood plug on the bars popped out on a trail off of Skyline above Woodside about 20 years ago and I had a replacement made out of teak recently.

In the early years I spent many days up and down fire trails on Mount Tam and around the lakes above Fairfax. I lived in Mill Valley at the time and spent lots of miles around Marin.

Now the bike is relegated to being a daily and pleasurable exercise ride on the road around the Napa Valley (hence the very not mountain bike tires). It is a bit like taking an old sports car out each day to keep it healthy though in this case it is a matter of keeping the rider healthy.

Of note my bike appears to be nine (22") frames after LeicaLad in this group. I hope he is getting some miles out of that bike, what a time warp. Cheers!

Attachments

#1,702 ·
'84 Team Comp pics

I think I finally got a few pics to download. Tech challenged. I ordered this bike in June of '84 from Velo Sport in Berkeley with various personal specs like braze on locations for water bottles and rack. Also opted for Phil Wood hubs and bottom bracket. The bike remains unchanged except for changing out the Brooks saddle for a Selle some years back. Also, the little wood plug on the bars popped out on a trail off of Skyline above Woodside about 20 years ago and I had a replacement made out of teak recently.

In the early years I spent many days up and down fire trails on Mount Tam and around the lakes above Fairfax. I lived in Mill Valley at the time and spent lots of miles around Marin.

Now the bike is relegated to being a daily and pleasurable exercise ride on the road around the Napa Valley (hence the very not mountain bike tires). It is a bit like taking an old sports car out each day to keep it healthy though in this case it is a matter of keeping the rider healthy.

Of note my bike appears to be nine (22") frames after LeicaLad in this group. I hope he is getting some miles out of that bike, what a time warp. Cheers!
Very, VERY nice. Sadly, I traded mine to zygote2k. You can see his latest just above. So, yours is 2C16?