Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1465
    mtbr member
    Dig the Team!

Interesting light mount. Was that a Canada only option? Never seen that.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel29er View Post
    I'm thinking of ditching the bar ends, what do you think? I would like to find some yellow moose bars like the ones on Rock-o-holics Super.
    Those Ritchey bullmoose bars are going to be near impossible to find. I had a similar idea and went with the Rivendell bullmoose bars, they're fillet braised and I know they might be wrong ......they're soo right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-87r.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by v8mercedes View Post
    my NOS '92 P22 TEAM
    Un NOS it.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hello , i have owned this Ritchey twice , first time in 2009 , i purchased from gentleman who had put it away in his backyard shed years earlier , after a good cleaning and cables it was ready to ride and i never really did any research , fast forward to 2014 and here it is again in my hands , serial # 313 , I have been told a 83 ?I was told the frame was hanging at a LBS in the 80's then built up a few years later with Deore & Suntour parts It is fillet brazed with a grooved seat collar , like on the earlier "Mountain Bikes" ,it has Campagnolo headset with a Salsa threadless stem that bolts to a threadless / threaded steertube , also what year did the rack eyelets on the top of seatstays get put on? any info would be great , thanks guys !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20140114_222334.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20140104_090323.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Wacowacko; 01-15-2014 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sorry I will resize pics and flip them , trying to figure out new I-pad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Un NOS it.
    I hear ya on that, but man, sometimes it's so cool to see something that old in new condition. I say keep it as is and find another rider.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacowacko View Post
    any info would be great , thanks guys !
    It looks like your bike/frame went through some changes over time. The frame is an '82 or '83 "MountainBike II" frame - based on the non-milled head tube and the machined slot in seat tube (and the slotted cable stops would point more towards '83). The fork was made later - the unicrown forks were introduced in '84 - so it is not original to the bike. Also the rack mounts are not correct for the frame, they must have been added later or put on by someone besides Tom. Ritchey rack mounts of that era are large "washers" style bosses and not the barrel shaped bosses that are on your frame. Also I'm not sure what stem that is, do you have a clear picture of it? It's a clamp on style, but has a roller for the cable - that's pretty unique and likely not made by Ritchey.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    I find it very, very, very difficult to Un-NOS my 84 Team Comp. I took my custom 1981 on a cross-country ride the morning after it cleared customs. This NOS thing, tho', is very differently. I just can't bring myself to "do it" to this bike. sigh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    . Also I'm not sure what stem that is, do you have a clear picture of it? It's a clamp on style, but has a roller for the cable - that's pretty unique and likely not made by Ritchey.
    I'm thinking a Salsa clamp on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the info , yes it is a salsa stem, when I first got the bike there was a small jalapeņo sticker peeling off of it which also said Salsa, the second owner said the original owner bought the frame in primer from his LBS ? Maybe thats when the bosses were added by them ? did they sell Ritcheys bare (non painted frames)to LBS ? So the customers could build it up with their own specs, thanks again for all the info .

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacowacko View Post
    did they sell Ritcheys bare (non painted frames)to LBS ? So the customers could customize to the owner own specs ?
    If it was bought from Cupertino Bikes then yes. Some number of unfinished frames were given/sold/unloaded on Cupertino Bikes in the early '80s to cover some debt payment. Otherwise, I'm not sure that the frames were delivered that way to shops.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If it was bought from Cupertino Bikes then yes. Some number of unfinished frames were given/sold/unloaded on Cupertino Bikes in the early '80s to cover some debt payment. Otherwise, I'm not sure that the frames were delivered that way to shops.
    Wow ! Very interesting , because it was told the original owner did not build it up right away ,that over the next 3 to 5 years of collecting the parts then built it up around the mid to late 80s, so maybe the history is coming afloat , thanks very much !

velocipede technician
    The seat cluster on those are different
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone here buy one of those? Just curious. I considered geting one from them and probably would have, but w/o a fork I couldn't pull the trigger. I was told they were all 23".

velocipede technician
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Finley Frame Will Ride Again!

I'm a bit of a newbie to the vintage scene but have always appreciated from afar the slack angles, long WB and funky components of the old MTBs...until recently.

Over the holidays I inherited from family a barn-fresh mid eighties Schwinn, nothing special, but almost all original with a funky mix of parts. Well, during my internet ramblings for old schwinn info I stumbled across a Chicken Coop frame for sale at First Flight (I'm sure most of you are familiar with it).

I was completely captivated by the story, and that this was one of the frames that was bought from the Cupertino shop, built and ridden... a lot! I couldn't get it out of my mind, but as you know, no fork no frame! Fortunately (and thankfully) member VeloCulture connected me with a period fillet brazed bi-plane and with some encouragement I pulled the trigger!

So here you go, this is my new project. My goal is to build a "rider" to '81 specs...as if you walked into a BS in '81 and built it up. The frame is a little sweaty but surprisingly not rusty, just nicked and scraped so this will be left as is. I'm thinking of having the fork and bullmoose bars black, etc.

Anyway, any build thoughts from your keen knowledge would be appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-dscf2593.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-dscf2585.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-dscf2590.jpg  

mtbr member
    The beginning of a great adventure!

Have fun with it.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by tclar4 View Post
    What a sweet project! You might already be aware of member laffeaux's site Old Mountain Bikes which is a fantastic archive of all things vintage Ritchey. And he has compiled a listing of components from the 1981 catalog:

Old Mountain Bikes: 1981 MountainBikes Catalog

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thank you! Yes, I've come across OMB and what a resource it is!

rismtb
    Dec 2012

0c57

This bike has been on this thread before. I am the new proud owner. Thanks Rocco! Well I have never seen a finer specimen of a dream bike that has less than 100miles on it. She will probably never see dirt just to make sure a mint example survives for the little nippers. Ha ha enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1026.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1028.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1029.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1030.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1033.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1034.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    This bike has been on this thread before. I am the new proud owner. Thanks Rocco! Well I have never seen a finer specimen of a dream bike that has less than 100miles on it. She will probably never see dirt just to make sure a mint example survives for the little nippers. Ha ha enjoy
    Wow! Perfect down to the original tires. Nice one.

What's the seat?

mtbr member
    That Team is beautiful.

Over the Hill
    Droolin' over the OC57 ! I finally had to ditch my Ritchey Quads because they were disintegrating. Good score!-

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    I believe this to be an 81 mt Tam. With conversations with previous owner stated it was owned by the head mech at Hendricksons bike shop in Santa Barbara. He mentioned "it was one of the first ones". Also said he was a close friend of Chris King and the headset was made in Chris's basement. It was listed in the Ritchey OMB catalog as an 82. I believe it to be an 81. Any body who can confirm would be great. Ser 1P3. I received as frame fork bars headset bb. Tried to build period correct minus TA cranks and huret derailieurs of course.
    I live in Santa Barbara and did a lot of business with Hendrickson's. The mechanic and all around mtb pioneer was Terry Gearhart and we were good friends. He was not tall and so that bike you have might have been his, but by the time I knew him better he was riding a blue Commando, and sold me a white one, too, which I still own. He also sold me a Stumpjumper in '83, a Fisher Montare for my wife and other cool stuff. Terry passed away about 20 years ago and we still have an annual memorial ride for him that goes up to Little Pine Mtn. My other good friend Chris King started making his first headsets in the back room of the bikeshop, on manual mill and lathe. My '84 Ritchey still has his headset in it (posted a bit earlier in this thread, the white bike on page 27). Doug Knox was the manager and is still a friend of mine, now the north american manager for Time cycles. Great times!

mtbr member

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tclar4 View Post
    I'm a bit of a newbie to the vintage scene but have always appreciated from afar the slack angles, long WB and funky components of the old MTBs...until recently.

Over the holidays I inherited from family a barn-fresh mid eighties Schwinn, nothing special, but almost all original with a funky mix of parts. Well, during my internet ramblings for old schwinn info I stumbled across a Chicken Coop frame for sale at First Flight (I'm sure most of you are familiar with it).

I was completely captivated by the story, and that this was one of the frames that was bought from the Cupertino shop, built and ridden... a lot! I couldn't get it out of my mind, but as you know, no fork no frame! Fortunately (and thankfully) member VeloCulture connected me with a period fillet brazed bi-plane and with some encouragement I pulled the trigger!

So here you go, this is my new project. My goal is to build a "rider" to '81 specs...as if you walked into a BS in '81 and built it up. The frame is a little sweaty but surprisingly not rusty, just nicked and scraped so this will be left as is. I'm thinking of having the fork and bullmoose bars black, etc.

That's a great project you've got there. I'll second the rec for oldmountainbikes.com. Great resource with plenty of bikes, catalogs, links, etc. Same for this forum. Lots of knowledge here. Since you're starting from scratch, have you considered a repaint in one of the classic Ritchey colors?

Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 ... LastLast