Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1464
    sftrydr

Patchett

Chaz,
    I have a Padgett built(for Don Davis) frame+fork from around 87-88 in my stable, although it doesn't have the bi-plane fork.
    Do ya any good?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0003.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0004.jpg  

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    Chaz,
    I have a Padgett built(for Don Davis) frame+fork from around 87-88 in my stable, although it doesn't have the bi-plane fork.
    Do ya any good?
    Looking for a bi-plane from 1981.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrerck View Post
    I finally have something to post. My Ritchey Super Comp has been rebuilt as a Super CompX cross bike. I got this frame from Tom when I was a Sales Rep for Ritchey, unfortunately I destored the original fork in the Cross Country race at the Lajitas (Big Bend) Desert Challenge a number of years ago and have not been able to get it replaced. I went 2x9, it runs like a dream. The pedals are the oldest item on the bike, 1st gen XC1 bear traps. Well tell me what you think.

Thanks,
    Brent
    Brent - brother - an abomination. You've made utilitarian a lovely example of the high-water mark of MTB history. Please part it out and buy yourself a 105 Swisscross.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    Brent - brother - an abomination. You've made utilitarian a lovely example of the high-water mark of MTB history. Please part it out and buy yourself a 105 Swisscross.
    Yeah, I guess it's a valiant attempt at making a some sort of functional machine out of misc parts, but I think most here would say that it's just wrong. Swap out that frame and let someone give it a proper home. Do you still have the fork and stem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrerck View Post
    I finally have something to post. My Ritchey Super Comp has been rebuilt as a Super CompX cross bike.
    I'm curious to know what rear brake you used. Dia-Compe like something BMX?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Looking for a bi-plane from 1981.
    What differentiates a Padgett fork from a standard Ritchey fork?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    What differentiates a Padgett fork from a standard Ritchey fork?
    Padgett fork had more clearance between the tire and the fork crown. It was what we sent Specialized in 1981 when they ordered four bikes. The first Stumpjumper reproduced the Padgett fork with a crown casting that resembled a bi-plane even though as a casting it didn't have to. According to Tom this resulted in an extra half-degree of head tube angle. Look at a 1981 Stumpy and compare to a Ritchey fork.
    shui.

Klunker Kev`
    Actually the earliest Stumpjumpers (Oct. of 81) don`t have the biplane style fork. They have a socket fork. Supposedly they weren`t ready yet and they wanted the bikes on the market. The 82`s have the biplane...
    Wanted: Ritchey built Frame/Fork 85 or earlier.

mtbr member
    I saw an 81/82 Stumpy the other day. No camera.
    Here is a 81 Ritchey Biplane for comparisson for when someone comes up with the padgett.

Top is from an 83, bottom is from an 81. Sorry no Padgett here:

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    And here is a shot just because I am in Photobucket. Guess which ones mine:

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    I saw an 81/82 Stumpy the other day. No camera.
    Here is a 81 Ritchey Biplane for comparisson for when someone comes up with the padgett.

Top is from an 83, bottom is from an 81. Sorry no Padgett here
    I'm looking for a shot with a front wheel to show the difference in tire clearance.
    shui.

Retro on Steroids
    And here is a shot just because I am in Photobucket. Guess which ones mine:
    It's the one that looks like mine. Top in the photo, seat cluster comparison makes it a no-brainer..
    shui.

mtbr member
    I'm looking for a shot with a front wheel to show the difference in tire clearance.
    Mitsuboshi 2.125"

Last edited by tductape; 05-23-2013 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    It's the one that looks like mine. Top in the photo, seat cluster comparison makes it a no-brainer..
    Agreed,
    Too easy....

I am too predictable.
    Last edited by tductape; 05-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Retro on Steroids
    Mitsoboshi 2.125"
    On a Ritchey you can just about get a finger in there. On a Padgett fork you could put three between the tire and the fork crown.

Realistically there can't be more than a handful of Padgett forks. They were made to be used on a production run of 100 frames Tom did for John Finley Scott, but most of those bikes were never finished and became part of Scott's estate. Because these forks made the bikes look different, we unloaded them whenever we had to give someone a deal. Four of them went to Specialized in 1981, and the initial Stumpjumper geometry reproduced the Padgett fork rather than the Ritchey.

I suspect that Padgett, using the same Reynolds Old Continental Oval fork blades that Tom used, didn't bother to trim them from the road wheel length.
    shui.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-dsc06807stump.jpg yes yes and yes 1983 stumpjumper
    Last edited by rismtb; 05-23-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: wrong year

~~~~~~~~
    Another CL love story...
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-clritchey.jpg

mtbr member
    Right on!
    And I thought my tires were marginal.

mtbr member
    No Mafac's?

Hit The Road Cyclery
    No Mafac's?
    Judging by the shifters that's an August 1983 or later bike with a Deerhead kit on it, including brakes (but not levers, obviously).

~~~~~~~~
    perfectly functioning roller cam, xccompe pedals, avocet, hasn't worn off, no wear on pedals or tires. One size too big, but still going to keep and ride.

~~~~~~~~

ritchey

Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie- View Post
    Judging by the shifters that's an August 1983 or later bike with a Deerhead kit on it, including brakes (but not levers, obviously).
    mid 80's Timbercomp. Duraace hubs

edit: add pix. looks like a 85 timbercomp with upgrade to biopace. Can anyone verify? serial is 0B271
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050150.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050135.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050136.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050140.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050141.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050142.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050144.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050147.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050148.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-p1050133.jpg  

Last edited by airwreck; 05-24-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add pix

ish
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MERK26 View Post
    Actually the earliest Stumpjumpers (Oct. of 81) don`t have the biplane style fork. They have a socket fork. Supposedly they weren`t ready yet and they wanted the bikes on the market. The 82`s have the biplane...
    A handful of '81s have a chrome biplane fork. Whether this is original or replacement due to the socket fork breaking is up in the air.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie- View Post
    Anomie is correct, Deerhead was still a few years out in 1980. I am just assuming he took the good bits off and put them on an early Ritchey and then put the Stumpy back together with what was in the parts bin.

velocipede technician
    looking for 20-21" P team

Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast