Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1464
    Retro on Steroids
    The owner of the gold bike sent me a photo of the receipt. I wrote it on June 5, 1980. Total was $1326.64 ($1251.55 + tax)

Described simply as "Complete bike w/ Ritchey frame."

This is the third time someone has shown me a 30+ year old receipt that I wrote for their bike. People hang onto stuff, don't they?
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey CK, so now that it's confirmed 1980, tell us about the decals. I thought the Ritchey/Palo Alto ones weren't used until later?

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Yes I would like to know about the 3 diff Ritchey decals as well, timeframes, aprox #'s for palo alto, Mountainbikes and Ritchey decals, We are very lucky to have surviving riders that can give accurate info and thanks in advance for that.

the new Gilbert Grape
    There seems to be several versions of the forks that Tom built for the first couple of years. The gold bike has a flat top-plate and neither plate extends beyond the fork leg. I've seen sloping top plates that also don't extend beyond the crown. Most of the forks are sloping and the top plate extends beyond the crown. And at least a few, like frame #1 pictured below, has a flat crown where both plates extend beyond the fork leg. I wonder how many total versions of the fork actually exist?

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    This^
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Hey CK, so now that it's confirmed 1980, tell us about the decals. I thought the Ritchey/Palo Alto ones weren't used until later?
    The post disappeared so I can't take a look at the decals. The bike was sold before we had the Ritchey/MountainBikes decals made. At that time it was the Ritchey decal and a small white sticker on the chainstay that said "MountainBikes."
    shui.

mtbr member
     photo IMG_6038.jpg

Retro on Steroids
    Tom lived in Palo Alto when he started building bikes. That decal ^^^ is one of his standard road bike decals that went on MountainBikes until we had our own decals made.
    shui.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Tom lived in Palo Alto when he started building bikes. That decal ^^^ is one of his standard road bike decals that went on MountainBikes until we had our own decals made.
    So that was my next question; if the Palo Alto preceded the Ritchey/MountainBikes decal in ~'82.

Here's one of the MountainBikes decals (also has them on the rims):

Also has flush crown, but with sloping top and no serial number:

CK, I remember the story you told about you taking a batch of parts to the anodizer to make them black, do you remember the date that that took place? And was it only a one time occurence for those early builds?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Palo Alto

You have one special bike there FB. Anybody out there seen or have a 1984 Ritchey with this Palo Alto decal?
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey1984_03.jpg

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

A bit more common but I like this style and color combo:

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    You have one special bike there FB. Anybody out there seen or have a 1984 Ritchey with this Palo Alto decal?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ritchey1984_03.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	780492
    There's several local ones..

looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    There's several local ones..

Oh Ya, that guy. He tried to keep up with this hobby and look where it got him.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    interesting, I was confused seeing early Ritchey down tube decals before MountainBikes but I see on the close up there is a little palo alto banner on those. Live and learn. That one is my favourite just because it's a contradiction>road decal on a mountain bike

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    That one is my favourite just because it's a contradiction>road decal on a mountain bike
    I'm not sure that it's a "road" decal. It's just the decal that Tom was using at the time - and he was making road bikes as there were no mountain bikes.

I'd love to find a frame that fit me with the really old decals. You can see them a bit in this pic.

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    i notice that Tom designed the double clamp on his early road stem and very early bullmoose bars as shown on the gold 81" mtb. I guess he figured out quickley you don't need 2 clamps then went to 1 then went to none and produced just a top cap in 83?

mtbr member
    Didn't Jobst Brandt design the TR logo for his own bike (road), and then give the design to Tom to use.

This Logo Was Originally Done By Cycling Legene Jobst Brandt, According To Ritchey PR Man Sean Coffey. Photos | Cyclingnews.com
    Last edited by tductape; 03-15-2013 at 10:57 AM.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

Ritchey Tam

1981 or 82 This frame has a wierd # it looks like 1d3 but on the other hand the other way looks like 2P upside down 1??? It has chrome fillet brazed bars and above BB front derailiure route. Chris king headset Phil Italian threaded BB vertical rear drops but has slotted cable guides any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0202.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0214.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0216.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0207.jpg  

one chain loop
    not quite my size but too cheap to pass, now looking for some black bits..

Last edited by fishcreek; 04-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

one chain loop
    After overhaul..

everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Bastard build. Logging Road Cruiser. Early 80's Road frame:

mtbr member

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread

Fishcreek,

Looks a lot like mine. I like the Logic brakes/crankset. Yours must be a little newer, mine has Shimano dropouts.Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366116157.493054.jpg

Two Headed Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Bastard build. Logging Road Cruiser. Early 80's Road frame:

What bars are those? That is one killer bike!!
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Ritchey Super Comp Rebuilt as Super CompX

I finally have something to post. My Ritchey Super Comp has been rebuilt as a Super CompX cross bike. I got this frame from Tom when I was a Sales Rep for Ritchey, unfortunately I destored the original fork in the Cross Country race at the Lajitas (Big Bend) Desert Challenge a number of years ago and have not been able to get it replaced. I went 2x9, it runs like a dream. The pedals are the oldest item on the bike, 1st gen XC1 bear traps. Well tell me what you think.

Thanks,
    Brent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-1.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-2.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-3.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-4.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-5.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-6.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-7.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-8.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-9.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-10.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-11.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-12.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-13.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-super-compx-14.jpg  

Retro on Steroids
    I had a lengthy conversation with Tom a few days ago regarding my upcoming publication. I thought it would amuse you guys that he had never heard the term "bi-plane" applied to his fork crown. He pointed out that he had been using the same design for road bike crowns before adapting it to mountain bikes.

Tom was unaware that the forks that John Padgett built for the John Finley Scott bikes (a run of 100, according to TR) had more clearance over the tire than his forks. Does anyone have a good photo of a Padgett fork?
    shui.

Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast