Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterendo
    BTW: I spoke with Vance at the Cupertino Bike Shop the other day. When he cleared out J.F. Scott's ranch after the murder he came across a dozen of Tom's first frames for MountainBikes. They never saw paint or anything. Vance told me he just completed one of them for display in the shop. He offered to let me take it to Fairfax this weekend, but I was just finishing mine, so... I'll ask him to post pics of the completed project. He also came across a bunch of slides from the 1980 bus trip to VVA's deal Reseda to the Sea. He says there are some real classics there. Lots of first-run MountainBikes on that trip. I'll keep you posted.
    I'll be sure to get some photos of it.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    A friend gave me some NOS Fisher FatTraxx tires, which was enough of an excuse for me to get my wife's 1982 one-owner Ritchey down from the rafters and assemble it.

About fifteen years ago I upgraded to Salsa bars and a Switchblade fork, and Dia-Compe brakes to replace the original Mafacs. This bike has less than 1000 miles on it, and still has the original TA crankset and Suntour drivetrain.

Wheels are original, Suzue bolt-on hubs and Araya 26 X 1.75 rims, built by Wheelsmith.
    I'm not going to call that Switchblade fork an 'upgrade'.

Do you have to original fork for it laying around?

Pretty bike. Its always good to horde.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    great looking rig there, Rumpfy. Is she going to Keyesville?
    I did and rode it to victory...(and a crash).
    -eric-

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'm not going to call that Switchblade fork an 'upgrade'.

Do you have to original fork for it laying around?
    The original fork was a heavy, chrome-plated Tange. There was nothing special about it, or the original bars. I probably still have the Mafac brakes.

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Charlie,

I really dig those tires! Is that one of the original Mountainbikes or were those decals added later?

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimpee
    Charlie,

I really dig those tires! Is that one of the original Mountainbikes or were those decals added later?
    The decals are original and have been on the bike since it was sold.

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    The decals are original and have been on the bike since it was sold.

Niiiiiiiiiiice, I like!

How often do the early Mountain Bikes come up for sale?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimpee
    Niiiiiiiiiiice, I like!

How often do the early Mountain Bikes come up for sale?

Nice bike CK! Ritcheys of the same vintage as CK's rarely come up for sale.

Craig

velocipede technician
    I probably still have the Mafac brakes.
    you got mail
    looking for 20-21" P team

VRC Hound
    CK - my wife rides a similar bike (and by rides I mean on her indoor trainer). Here is a pretty weak pic of her bike. It is a 1983 Everest. It looks like it was assembled after being built since the Deerhead parts are later than the bike - frame should be from 1983.

The original owner updated the shifers, seat and rear derailleur in 1986 and the cables and rear freewheel are way too new. One day I'll roll everything back to Deerhead. I'm responsible for the seat since my wife prefers this gel saddle to the original firm Avocet.

The frame is weird in that it has 24 inch wheels but an 18 inch seat tube. Consequently even though the standover is great for my wife the seat post exension looks kind of dumb.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    The frame is weird in that it has 24 inch wheels but an 18 inch seat tube. Consequently even though the standover is great for my wife the seat post exension looks kind of dumb.
    Not weird at all. The 17 and 18 inch frames both came with 24" wheels in 1983 (according to the catalog). The 19 inch bike was the smallest frame to have 26" wheels.

http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cata...kes1983_15.jpg
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

McNears-DTB Schooner
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    you got mail
    Are you looking for a complete set?

VRC Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Not weird at all. The 17 and 18 inch frames both came with 24" wheels in 1983 (according to the catalog). The 19 inch bike was the smallest frame to have 26" wheels.

http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cata...kes1983_15.jpg
    I saw that very helpful catalog at your site. I think it is weird because you assume someone using a bike with 24 inch wheels is short, and consequently has short legs - so the 18 inch seattube is disproportionately long. All the other 24 inch wheeled mountain bikes I've seen are 16 and 17 inch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    I saw that very helpful catalog at your site. I think it is weird because you assume someone using a bike with 24 inch wheels is short, and consequently has short legs - so the 18 inch seattube is disproportionately long. All the other 24 inch wheeled mountain bikes I've seen are 16 and 17 inch.

18" back then was very small though since the road seatposts were basically what they were using causing them to be sized the same as you would a road bike. 18" is the equivalent to a 46cm road bike. Pretty tiny.

Deerhead came out in 83 so that should be right, right? Or maybe I misunderstood.

WHEELVALUTION

Nice bikes,this is probly the only TR item I will ever have,not much TR stuff here in N.Z
    Okay,okay,so how do I put it back together,and where did this spring come from

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    very nice

i allways liked ritchey bikes, long before i knew that there where also some other frames/models that the P serie in teamcolors (i grew up 10miles from where Thomas Frischknecht lives)

my first Ritchey was my first Racing Bike, built up with parts that where laying around
    it was stolen after my third or forth race (#P21 031 from '94 or so, it was shop decoration in my first sponsor's shop)

after that i've had on or two swisscross

the only one i still have is my road logic (96 i think)
    i love that bike i still ride it and it is my shop's decoration

i have to search in my pictures for some more interessting things, there should be one or to nice shots from sharkistan ..... and i have to visit one or two guys for more stuff

sadly i dont have Race pics from Frischi's Bikes .... i've started taking pictures at races 2003 ....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    gsed guet us!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    one of the last three Ritchey crossbikes that Frischknecht had before he changed to scott frames

built by TR custommade because frischi wanted to have the same riding position like on his mtbs

the fork is a swisscross fork from the serie because fork with the doubleplate crown was broken after one season CX by frischi

there where three of them and i know also the other two guys who bought one, maybe i can do some more pics someday

s

VRC Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by singlestoph
    one of the last three Ritchey crossbikes that Frischknecht had before he changed to scott frames

built by TR custommade because frischi wanted to have the same riding position like on his mtbs

the fork is a swisscross fork from the serie because fork with the doubleplate crown was broken after one season CX by frischi

there where three of them and i know also the other two guys who bought one, maybe i can do some more pics someday

s
    Neat stuff. I was in a bike shop the other day pickin up some bar tape and saw a really nice Columbine road bike. Started talking bikes with the owner and when he found out that I am into mountain bikes he ask if I have heard of a rider named Frischknecht. He had bought one of the cross bikes from him after chatting at one worlds one year. Sadly the guy has since sold the bike.

mtbr member
    very nice

i allways liked ritchey bikes, long before i knew that there where also some other frames/models that the P serie in teamcolors (i grew up 10miles from where Thomas Frischknecht lives)

my first Ritchey was my first Racing Bike, built up with parts that where laying around
    it was stolen after my third or forth race (#P21 031 from '94 or so, it was shop decoration in my first sponsor's shop)

after that i've had on or two swisscross

the only one i still have is my road logic (96 i think)
    i love that bike i still ride it and it is my shop's decoration

i have to search in my pictures for some more interessting things, there should be one or to nice shots from sharkistan ..... and i have to visit one or two guys for more stuff

sadly i dont have Race pics from Frischi's Bikes .... i've started taking pictures at races 2003 ....
    I need a set of decals just like these. Anybody have any?
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

the new Gilbert Grape
    That bike looks great!!!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Thumbs Up!

s
    Very Cool! Any more pics of his mountain bikes?
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    found some more

theese pics are from the CX-race where thomas frischknecht is one of the organisers

there is also a team-race with prominent riders: people from politics, bikebiz ... together wit former pro riders ...

they seemed to have fun, some of them race not more than once a year , but they all had some fund and where talking about bikes and other things after the race

http://www.flickr.com/photos/singles...7603665070837/

ranking http://www.radquer.ch/de/resultate/5...rominente.html

Peter Frischknecht

together with Urs Gerig (trainer of Thomas as far as i know)

mtbr member

great shots of Peter Frischknecht. Thanks for sharing. He was an awesome 'cross rider as well (both of them had lots of silver medals ) I'd love to meet that guy. Frischy is a good guy.

Keep 'em coming if you've got more.

VRC Hound
    His helmet defines awesome. Old school bro!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    they came all (the ex-pros) in their old yerseys but peter frischknecht had also shoes, cap. helmet ....

it was also interessting to see that he and urs gerig took their (ritchey-) bikes with them for the pictures, something that thomas also does

theese guys are professionals in every sense

after the photoshooting at the finish i asked peter frischknecht if he could maybe wait that i can take a picture from him with his bike

he went a little bit beside the race track for that
    i think he was on the way to the shower .... :-)

s
    Last edited by singlestoph; 03-31-2008 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Amazing bikes y`all! Not one Plexus yet?
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by erol/frost
    Amazing bikes y`all! Not one Plexus yet?
    Too new would be my guess why.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd add my latest resto to the "Official Ritchey Picture Post". You can find details of the bike build here: Springtime Resto '92/'93 Ritchey Everest

Its a '92/'93 Everest, enjoy

"I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

VRC Illuminati
    Love it!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange
    Humbles me everytime I look at it.
    That is the most pristine Ritchey I have ever seen! I had two just like it, but they are floating around the universe now. Who knows, yours could be one of them. Simply astounding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hey guys-wanting to 'eek' find a ritchey logic fork to fit my cannondale.. yeah.. flame on but really. i need a 1" steerer(is tehr anything else?) at least 160mm long-longer and i can thread/cut myself.
    and FYI-this is a build for a 1991 M500 frame that has NEVER been ridden since out of the box. im loading up with ritchey gear since it was a stripped frame.

also-my 1988 MB-4 fork got smunched and i replaced it with an OEM ritchey logic pro-comp ultra freakisly light fork unpainted direct from ritchey. just a TOUCH over 1 pound... love it-want another one like it.

VRC Illuminati
    Take out a 'wanted' ad in the classifieds. This thread isn't the right place for wanted posts.

Or try the 'trade only' thread...but make sure you have something to trade.
    -eric-

What would Tesco do?
    If anyone is still reading this thread I could use a little assistance on something. I'm going to be sending my Ultra off to D&D for a respray and I need Rick to do something else to the frame as well. The person I got this frame from had the rear brake hanger/cable stop removed in favor of a v-brake only setup and I would like to get one put back on. I know Rick has painted all the Ritchey bikes since, well....forever, and I'm sure he knows what the proper hanger/cable stop looks like but I'd still like to provide him with a few up-close photos so I can get the correct one put back on. Can anyone oblige with some pix of theirs?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by jack lantern
    If anyone is still reading this thread I could use a little assistance on something. I'm going to be sending my Ultra off to D&D for a respray and I need Rick to do something else to the frame as well. The person I got this frame from had the rear brake hanger/cable stop removed in favor of a v-brake only setup and I would like to get one put back on. I know Rick has painted all the Ritchey bikes since, well....forever, and I'm sure he knows what the proper hanger/cable stop looks like but I'd still like to provide him with a few up-close photos so I can get the correct one put back on. Can anyone oblige with some pix of theirs?

For you Sir.

-eric-

What would Tesco do?
    For you Sir.
    Arrrr...that be a P-series mate.

What I'm needin' is way more generic looking. Any rear cantilever equiped model lika Timberwolf, Ascent, Ultra, or the like will have it. Real basic.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by jack lantern
    Arrrr...that be a P-series mate.

What I'm needin' is way more generic looking. Any rear cantilever equiped model lika Timberwolf, Ascent, Ultra, or the like will have it. Real basic.

Sh!t, don't got none of those.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    My old Timberwolf

-eric-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccpanel
    hey guys-wanting to 'eek' find a ritchey logic fork to fit my cannondale.. yeah.. flame on but really. i need a 1" steerer(is tehr anything else?) at least 160mm long-longer and i can thread/cut myself.
    and FYI-this is a build for a 1991 M500 frame that has NEVER been ridden since out of the box. im loading up with ritchey gear since it was a stripped frame.

also-my 1988 MB-4 fork got smunched and i replaced it with an OEM ritchey logic pro-comp ultra freakisly light fork unpainted direct from ritchey. just a TOUCH over 1 pound... love it-want another one like it.

typing the word "cannondale" in the Ritchey thread is grounds for termination.

the scale you weighed the fork on must have been messed up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    1989 Super Comp. Bought new and it is in 95% excellent original with original equipment.

Can be seen at: http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cgi-...cgi?bike=90155
    Last edited by rjgmtl; 08-29-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Spin it again

1982 Ritchey serial number 2R019

Hi all-

Here are some shots of my old '82 Ritchey which I have cherished for the last 25 years!

In the mid-80's I had the frame repainted with the original metallic grey color but without the Richey decals (I was paranoid about bike theft and liked the idea of an "anonymous" frame to deter rip-offs). A few years ago, the bullmoose bars were replated with electroless nickel, as the original finish had significant surface corrosion. A new paint job with original decals is now planned to complete the resto.

The bike came with Bulleye hubs but now has modified Hi-E hubs I believe these were early WTB offerings, predating their grease guard hubs. With the exception of the tires and brake pads, most all other components are either original or replaced with early eighties stuff. It still has the original TA cranks with double ring setup,which permits use of a sweet little Campy Record front derailleur.

I have lots of sweet memories on this bike, and hope to be riding it for another 25 years!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider
    Hi all-

Here are some shots of my old '82 Ritchey which I have cherished for the last 25 years!

In the mid-80's I had the frame repainted with the original metallic grey color but without the Richey decals (I was paranoid about bike theft and liked the idea of an "anonymous" frame to deter rip-offs). A few years ago, the bullmoose bars were replated with electroless nickel, as the original finish had significant surface corrosion. A new paint job with original decals is now planned to complete the resto.

The bike came with Bulleye hubs but now has modified Hi-E hubs I believe these were early WTB offerings, predating their grease guard hubs. With the exception of the tires and brake pads, most all other components are either original or replaced with early eighties stuff. It still has the original TA cranks with double ring setup,which permits use of a sweet little Campy Record front derailleur.

I have lots of sweet memories on this bike, and hope to be riding it for another 25 years!

You Sir, are the best kind of mountain bike owner.

Talk about a bike thats lasted a life time! How many miles do you think you have on it?
    -eric-

Spin it again

old Ritchey

Talk about a bike thats lasted a life time! How many miles do you think you have on it?
    I dunno. It was ridden extensively through the 80's and early 90's. Not so much lately (I am mostly a trail runner now).

To gauge mileage, the BB bearings were replaced twice, and were pretty well cooked each time. And this is the original saddle. I figure I got my money's worth out of that one!

Hit The Road Cyclery

Money's worth, definitely. What derailleurs does your bike have on it? I have a non-Ritchey MTB from the same era that I'm restoring (builder unknown) and for comparison it helps to know the spec on a bike with original parts.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=nightshade_rider]Hi all-

QUOTE]

Awesome bike, Brian. Good to see it being put to use still. Sure do like those early Ritcheys.

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie-

Money's worth, definitely. What derailleurs does your bike have on it? I have a non-Ritchey MTB from the same era that I'm restoring (builder unknown) and for comparison it helps to know the spec on a bike with original parts.
    Front derailleur has always been Campy Super Record. It has a small stiff cage that works well with a double ring setup, maybe not so well with a wide-range triple setup.

The rear derailleur is Huret Duopar Eco, but I would not recommend it for offroad usage. The cage is somewhat flimsy. It shifts reasonably well when it is clean and lubricated, but unreliable in typical offroad conditions. I plan to deep six the Duopar soon and replace it with this beauty. Hopefully it shifts as good as it looks.

This is the long cage version since I am running a 34T big cog on the freewheel. The short cage version might work better for other setups.

A good place to go see appropriate components from early mt bikes is the old Ritchey catalogs. They are posted online at:
    http://www.oldmountainbikes.com

mtbr member

a couple old ritchey shots

while i'm scanning.....'86 and '88. edgemont ranch (durango).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surly357
    while i'm scanning.....'86 and '88. edgemont ranch (durango).

Man, you need your own thread for all these. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

What would Tesco do?
    Finally got the proper fork for my P23, at least I think it's the proper one. Regarding the saddle...be kind. It's the only one I have laying around and I can admit it's fairly comfortable too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VRC Illuminati
    Nice. I do love the gray on that P-23.

Can I be mean about that rear derailleur and cranks?
    -eric-

artistic...
    i love the grey. i love the bike. i want one...
    can i be mean about that seatpost?
    you need a 130mm stem.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

What would Tesco do?

Can I be mean about that rear derailleur and cranks?
    I'm old. It's my main ride and I need compact cranks for the Wasatch out here. I gave up hoping to find a set of period-correct Ritchey compact cranks. Do the the Cooks look familiar? The rear der is temp until I find a clean & tight ( ) M735 SGS.

Seatpost is an old XT. I don't ask much of my seatposts, although an older Ritchey / Nitto in black wouldn't break my heart.

Retro on Steroids
    I did a job for this guy, and he said he knew me. He told me he bought a Ritchey MountainBike in 1983. That made him the third original Ritchey owner to tell me that in just the last week.

But he went one better. He pulled out a piece of paper in a plastic protective sleeve, and said, "Are these your initials?" Yep, he had my handwritten receipt from 1983, and his bike is on display at a store in San Rafael. I have removed his address from the receipt, because astonishingly enough, it's the same place where he now lives.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I want to buy an '83 MountainBike for $780 and tax!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    I want to buy an '83 MountainBike for $780 and tax!
    You and how many others???
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

A few Ritcheys

First post...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-niti.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-swc1.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-swc2.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-cic.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-rl1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

a few more...

Road
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-rl6.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-rl2.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-rl5.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-rl4.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-rl3.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    I ran across the receipt for my Ritchey recently - bought it in Feb '89 for $650 at the LLBean store in Freeport ME. I must have been reading too many bike magazines or just had winter fever to buy a bike in Maine in February...it was my first mtn bike, a blue "Outback" with yellow lettering, the bullmoose bars, biopace chainrings, rear u-brakes & really big brake levers. Added a yellow rear rack & a yellow snake-shaped bottle cage. Loved it. Gave it to someone who had no car so he could get to work, but might have to get it back now that he's driving.

shawnw

Team Colors

Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    Heres a few P series, 1st is a '90 P23 tig, the one I ride most often

'90 P23 Team, #8P5 ,fillet brazed, the one that got away from FB

'93 P-21 tig, in team colors
    How can you go wrong with Red/White/Blue!!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1267809367
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-resolution.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ritchey crankset NOS! Bidding ends soon - already got me a decent set of these:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
    It'll take you places, but never get you anywhere

mtbr member

Nice post!

Quote Originally Posted by nubber
    Ritchey crankset NOS! Bidding ends soon - already got me a decent set of these:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
    Good thing this thread isn't titled My Random Ritchey Component Auctions on Ebay.

Time to go back to Retrobike.

mtbr member
    Here is a poor pic of my current stash, it's not much but I figured I might as well point the thread back in the right direction. The blue complete bike is an 86 (or so) Timber Comp, all original-the light is useless, heavy, and ugly but it's been there since it was new and I figured it might as well stay. I need to clean the bike and put some of the parts back on, but it's all there and I love it although it's really too small for me.

The red one is an early Ascent (I believe, it's tig and fillet, the frame is stamped '202'-nothing else). Ritchey 4130 tubing, chainstay brakes-but no 'Ascent' decal or evidence it was ever there. I bought the frame and fork for my girlfriend, I'm not going exactly period correct with it, but it will be close. All the components will eventually be black, I need to get them anodized via my employer.

Frames are an '88 or so Outback and an '84 or so Timber Comp. I bought them more out of curiosity than anything else......

I'll post some decent pics when the TC is cleaned up and put back together and the Ascent is all blacked out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_5144.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. A lot of opportunity in that photo. Time to find a few donor bikes. I like the blue one with the useless but vintage light.....
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Here is one:

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My Chicane and SwissCross
    Cannot wait to find the right MTB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-chicane.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-swisscross-full.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-larger-pair.jpg  

shawnw

Wink Ritcheys

Very nice!! How about adding a Plexus to the stable.

mtbr member
    This is my P20, small size, hopefully my wife would riding it....

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice one from Indonesia.
    Is she bored yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman
    Nice one from Indonesia.
    Is she bored yet?
    Unfortunately not yet, bro......
    Hills are only as steep as you want them to be....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Ritchey Fillets Rule

My first Ritchey was a Fillet and here is my second: A Team P-23 in it's original colors, as it was and has been since I purchased her new in 1990. The location is above Reno Nevada on the Halo Trail; about 7:15pm on the 18th of April this 2010. What a bike.

The paint, frame, fork, seat post, stem, handlebar, brake levers and brakes are original. This bike has to be considered one of the greatest cross country mountain bikes of all time. This girl is still running strong and climbing as good as they get. Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-p23_halotrail-renonv_2010.jpg

Old School
    '89 Ritchey Timber Comp Great riding bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3859.jpg  

shawnw

Fillet Brazed Ritcheys

Awesome bikes!! I might as well add mine.Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-resolution.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    8 pages and no P22 team?
    Here's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-014.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-008.jpg  

mtbr member
    I really like that Timber Comp.

(and the others too!!)
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Cannon
    8 pages and no P22 team?
    Here's mine.

Classic Ritchey! Very nice....except the seat post and stem. It deserves better than that.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    This is the Ascent I've built for my girlfriend. It's an early one-no 'Ascent' decal, Ritchey tubing, frame number is '202'-nothing else. Filleted chainstays (odd for an Ascent?) and seat cluster, the original owner thought he got it in 1984, but that seems a bit early. I bought just the frame and fork, so I have no idea what was originally there for parts.

I'm still working on this one, the idea was to get it blacked out as much as possible, as soon as possible, so the parts are not intended to be period or even similar. I'll swap out the oddities as I find stuff that matches better. Bars are actually from a Stumpjumper (sorry!)-I spraypainted them black to see how it will look, proper paint will come later-I did the headset as well. Mostly it's XT M730 stuff, the front brakes are M700 as I had some black ones laying around. White industries front hub, mismatched wheelset, random pedals, LX rear derailleur, GT saddle that is horribly ugly but really comfy. I wanted to ditch the tires, but they match the frame paint and decals perfectly, and she likes the size and pattern for cruising dirt roads.

Pics are not the best, my camera is old and doesn't like low light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-kims1.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-kims3.jpg  

mtbr member

I ordered this bike in Fall 1981. I spoke to both Gary Fisher and Tom about the sizing. It was shipped to me in Bangkok, Thailand, arriving in March 1982. My first ride was from Bangkok to ChiangMai with the Thai Nat'l team in April 1982. In the 90's, I moved to Burma (Myanmar), where I lived for another 10 years.

Sadly, this bike was stolen from my house in Bangkok two years ago. The jerk who stole it was killed a week later in a motorbike accident, but he'd already sold the bike -- FOR $100!!! Unfortunately, I've never been able to track it down.

I loved that bike, and I'm still pissed off about losing it!

Frame #133. TA triple crank, phil wood hubs. MTM.

RIP.

Edit: Actually, it was Charles Kelly that spent the most time on the phone with me. It was a very personalized service in those early days!
    Last edited by LeicaLad; 07-02-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Trying to grow a mustache
    You win the award for best first post. Sorry about the bike though...
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

mtbr member
    But what a karma-death!

Sweet bike, sad story.....but maybe it is still out there??

mtbr member
    I know it went somewhere in Samut Songkram, but that's actually a huge territory. Basically a province. Sorta like saying it's in Kentucky, but with no well organized network of bike hounds to help track. Sigh.

Such is life. I had wonderful years with it, so I guess I shouldn't complain (so much). That photo was taken only a month or less before it was stolen. Wish I'd taken more, and better, photos of it. I mostly took photos FROM it.

It's nice to see a few others posted here from that period. These were totally new things, at that time. When I joined the Thai Nat'l team for the ride, none had even heard of mountain bikes, so it was a real curiosity -- even more than I was for joining them.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oh, yeah. The "karma death". Exactly what many friends said at the time.

Still, I'd rather have purchased the bike back. He was just a guy with gambling debts. If he hadn't been killed, I think I could have gotten it. Details got to me too late.

Karma is as karma does, eh?

VRC Illuminati
    Great but sad story.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Hopefully it will make its way back home. Are you still in Thailand?

Alternatively, good excuse to order another awesome bike

Spin it again
    Hey Leicalad-

Jeez, I can really empathize with your loss of the bike. When you have ridden a nice bike like that for so many years, and it finally gets stolen, it is not just a violation of your personal property. It is also a violation on a deep emotional level, considering all the memories of great times that are tied up in the bike.

Almost like someone stealing your photo album with all your precious pictures of good times with friends and family. They toss the pictures in the trash and sell the album cover for a buck.

I have ridden a similar bike for as long as you have had yours, and you can bet I would be devastated if it were stolen.

Hopefully your bike will turn up someday, unexpectedly.

-Brian

mtbr member
    Sigh. You nailed it exactly.

The comparison with the photo album made me double-wince, but just because it was spot on.

I'd carried that thing thru half a dozen countries. Not many things I've had longer, nor have been such an important part of life.

Okay, enough maudlin tears.

I really liked seeing your bike in this thread. There's another that is also from that window. It was what made me sign up.

I no longer live in Thailand, but am back and forth from here (US) and there. I can't see ANY bike without a second scrutinizing look. My wife thinks I'm possessed.

She's right.

Anyway, enough. I hope some other really early versions are posted here. They were each a work of art at the time. A new concept still finding its form. Not many new bikes are as elegantly beautiful, at least IMHO.

Thanks, guys. It's been therapeutic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My Ritchey I'm uncertain exactly what it is I guess a Timber Comp maybe 1985. However after all of the research on this site and a few others the components combined dont quite stack up to any particular bike eg wheels Wolber's perhaps added later. I bought it from a former BMX Pro Mike Poulson from Utah who claimed it was given to him free not sure.

mtbr member
    My experience is limited, but these early TRs were all basically MTM (made to measure), and the buyer had a list of options that were available. I chose Phil Wood hubs, but I remember there were several other choices.

That doesn't tell you if these were original or not, but I'd say your bike looks really good.

Really good.

Wanna sell it? (Okay, I apologize. Bad form here, eh?)

Old School
    Quote Originally Posted by LeicaLad

Wanna sell it? (Okay, I apologize. Bad form here, eh?)
    Extremely bad form. The appropriate method is through 'private messaging' (PM).

VRC Hound
    Oh, that would be great if LeicaLad got this to replace his missing one!

mtbr member
    Thus, my utterly shameless use of the thread to beg for ANYONE to sell me an early Ritchey bike.

No shame, whatsoever!

call me direct, call me collect, but call me today!!! (as the old song goes...)

Yea!!!

mtbr member

1981 Price List

I found my documents. I have price lists, my final invoice, the shipping manifest, etc.

Here is the price list. If there is interest, I'll post some of the other documents, too.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Sweet.

mtbr member
    I found my documents. I have price lists, my final invoice, the shipping manifest, etc.

Here is the price list. If there is interest, I'll post some of the other documents, too.

[.
    Thanks for taking the time. Yes, please post documentation you have....

I sure apreciate it,
    T
    Last edited by tductape; 06-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member

More 1981-1982 documents

The bike was ordered in September. I had multiple phone calls, mostly with Charles, but one with Tom. It was finished by Feb 1982. Letter and final invoice.

It's worth noting that I had owned 4 cars by that point in my life... and this bike cost more than twice what any one of those cars did.

mtbr member
    I wanted to bring the bike back onto this page Man, there is something I really I love about mtbs with racks.

shawnw

Early 85 Commando

Early 85, note the silver parts build. Bike was bought new in 1986 from Kauai Bicycles in Hawaii. Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-camo-.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-lic-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Something seems weird. I'm getting error msgs, and this post is way back in placement. On my browser, it comes up as post #31.

Nice looker. I went to Univ of Hawaii at Manoa. Didn't remember such a nice bike shop over on Kauai.

Owen

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw
    Early 85, note the silver parts build. Bike was bought new in 1986 from Kauai Bicycles in Hawaii. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camo !.jpg 
Views:	1828 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	550609

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lic 1.jpg 
Views:	925 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	550608

shawnw
    Something is weird, it comes up as #397 for me? Anyway, the shop is still there, kauaicycle.com their logo is still the same. The bike was in Kauai for 5 yrs. then Mill Valley Ca.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Handmade Ritchey Mtn Bike with original components

This Ritchey was handmade by Tom Ritchey in the mid-1980s. It's in pretty good condition and includes all original components, and I'm getting ready to sell it. Here's a photo set with detailed pictures of the bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7636147...7624094674509/

Trying to grow a mustache
    Damn sexy...
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast