Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Next up, his younger brother:

Last edited by tductape; 02-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

rismtb
    Dec 2012

new paint

Aemmer turn your head, you can't see these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0139.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0148.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0136.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0275.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0272.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0273.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thats a beauty Tim. Are you sure you want to ride it, it may look nice over the fire place mantel.

Spin it again
    Very nice work, T! It's great that there are vrc folks around like yourself who are passionate about restoring these old rigs to their original glory. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey Tim....very nice!!!

You are doing a great job on your bikes and you are having lots of fun doing it.

mtbr member
    Sweet!
    Mind sharing the build details?
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Looks really nice, Tim. Great job.

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter View Post
    Sweet!
    Mind sharing the build details?
    Is that a French Laprade (pre-SR) seatpost by any chance? I don't really know what they look like as you don't see many of them around.

mtbr member
    I tried, still not sure how to copy multiple quotes on VRC but thank you all for the nice comments. You all have some very nice Ritchey's yourselves!

Here is the build thread. Still a few things to change. Nothing glaring but a few things just aren't quite right to me. Don't think those pedals came out until 82/83 need some silver KKT Lightnings or Suntour MP1000's, Still need a few brass ferrules for the top tube brake housing, those are aluminum on there now. Need to braze the cable ends. Thanks to H for letting me know I need end caps not plugs on the bar ends (like the red ones you see on really old Stumpies), Has a Specialized chain guard glued on the chain stay. Haven't been too anxious to take it off yet. Always pictured this build with allen head bolts instead of QR's. Jaguar shift cable housing. Thats about it though.

Loosing a little with the cut and paste function from Excell to VRC but you get it:

RITCHEY EVEREST 1981 NOTES
    FRAME Ritchey Everest JS
    FORK Ritchey Biplane JS
    RIMS UKAI WITH BUMPS RG
    HUBS PHIL WOOD STEEL RG
    WHEEL QR CAMPY CLIST MARK
    FREEWHEEL/CASSETTE WINNER 6 DONOR UNIVEGA
    SPOKES RG
    TUBES SCHRADER FULL CIRCLE CYCLE
    TIRES MITSUBOSHI SILVER STAR DONOR SCHWINN K5
    HANDLEBARS RITCHEY BULLMOOSE JS
    GRIPS FOAMIES FIRST FLIGHT
    BRAKE LEVERS MAGURA JS
    SHIFT LEVERS SUNTOUR MIGHTY JS
    STEM RITCHEY BULLMOOSE JS
    HEADSET CAMPT NR JS
    BRAKES FRONT MAFAC JS
    BRAKES REAR MAFAC JS
    SADDLE BROOKS B72 CLIST DAN
    SEATPOST LAPRADE JS
    SEATPOST QR CAMPY JS
    BOTTOM BRACKET RITCHEY NEW BEARINGS.
    CRANKSET TA 180 JS
    RINGS TA STASH
    DERAILEUR FRONT SIMPLEX JS
    DERAILEUR REAR HURET DUPAR TITANIUM EBAY
    CHAIN SHIMANO CLIST MARK
    CAGES COBRA SWAP
    PEDALS TIOGA DONOR STUMPY/NEED KKT
    BRAKE CABLES HEAVY DUTY CLIST MARK
    BRAKE HOUSING 6MM CLIST MARK
    SHIFT HOUSING JAGUAR 5MM CHANGE?
    SHIFT CABLE JAGUAR CHANGE?
    OTHER BREEZER SEAT SANDWICH JS
    OTHER CABLE TIPS NEED TO BRAZE CABLE ENDS
    OTHER REMOVE 81? SPECIALIZED CHAIN GUARD
    OTHER FERRULES BRASS/NEED 2 TT
    OTHER BAR ENDS NEED RED CAPS
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    SADDLE BROOKS B72 CLIST DAN
    It would not have been sold with that saddle. The B-72 had four wires supporting it and did not fit on that seatpost without some sort of adapter. My Breezer #2 has a B-72 mounted on a (modified) Campagnolo micro-adjusting SP. Joe made an adapter that was a block of aluminum grooved on both sides, and fit between the double rails. He had to replace the original adjusting screws with longer ones in order to attach the saddle.

How did you put that saddle on the Laprade post?
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    It would not have been sold with that saddle. The B-72 had four wires supporting it and did not fit on that seatpost without some sort of adapter. My Breezer #2 has a B-72 mounted on a (modified) Campagnolo micro-adjusting SP. Joe made an adapter that was a block of aluminum grooved on both sides, and fit between the double rails. He had to replace the original adjusting screws with longer ones in order to attach the saddle.

How did you put that saddle on the Laprade post?
    Looks like he's got the JB Seat Sandwich on there from what I can see.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    nice King necklace, last 2 bikes on this thread make blood rush to my head

mtbr member
    I tried, still not sure how to copy multiple quotes on VRC but thank you all for the nice comments. You all have some very nice Ritchey's yourselves!

Here is the build thread. Still a few things to change. Nothing glaring but a few things just aren't quite right to me. Don't think those pedals came out until 82/83 need some silver KKT Lightnings or Suntour MP1000's, Still need a few brass ferrules for the top tube brake housing, those are aluminum on there now. Need to braze the cable ends. Thanks to H for letting me know I need end caps not plugs on the bar ends (like the red ones you see on really old Stumpies), Has a Specialized chain guard glued on the chain stay. Haven't been too anxious to take it off yet. Always pictured this build with allen head bolts instead of QR's. Jaguar shift cable housing. Thats about it though.

Loosing a little with the cut and paste function from Excell to VRC but you get it:

RITCHEY EVEREST 1981
    BRAKE LEVERS MAGURA JS
    Tim, looking at the KVille photos I noticed your brake lever perches have the 'removable face' with a fastening screw on top and bottom. Is this an aftermarket perch as were common in the motorcycle world? Or maybe the real early Maguras were like this? Looks like it might get in the way of the shifter? Love the bike. Too bad you snapped the post.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Looks like he's got the JB Seat Sandwich on there from what I can see.
    That wouldn't work with the Laprade. The Campy SP has two adjusting screws, front and back, and you level the saddle by loosening one and tightening the other. Joe's "sandwich had holes to match and flat grooved surfaces where it contacted the saddle wires.

Laprade uses a much cruder system, with a set of matching splines on the curved surfaces on top of the post and the bottom of the seat clamp. Macro adjustment instead of micro adjustment. It was easy to strip them if your saddle wasn't cranked down super tight. The only way to put a block between the saddle and the SP would be to make a matching "sandwich," not as easy as the Breeze version because it would need two curved surfaces and matching splines cut into them.

So I'm still curious. How is that saddle stuck on the Laprade?
    shui.

mtbr member
    That wouldn't work with the Laprade. The Campy SP has two adjusting screws, front and back, and you level the saddle by loosening one and tightening the other. Joe's "sandwich had holes to match and flat grooved surfaces where it contacted the saddle wires.

Laprade uses a much cruder system, with a set of matching splines on the curved surfaces on top of the post and the bottom of the seat clamp. Macro adjustment instead of micro adjustment. It was easy to strip them if your saddle wasn't cranked down super tight. The only way to put a block between the saddle and the SP would be to make a matching "sandwich," not as easy as the Breeze version because it would need two curved surfaces and matching splines cut into them.

I'll of course defer to you, but i have a foggy recollection of there being two versions of the sandwich... could be wrong.

Retro on Steroids
    The gold bike is beyond awesome. I know that 30+ years later you guys are drooling over it, even though the technology is dated. Think about the time when there was literally no comparison to the bikes that we were building. Three guys working out of a couple of garages were, for a few months at least, making the coolest bikes on the planet, and trust me, we knew it.

Who gets even ten minutes of being "the coolest?" I see this stuff that I help build, preserved to look like the day it rolled out, and I get chills. No way back then I would believe that our products would be revered like this three plus decades later.
    shui.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ......So I'm still curious. How is that saddle stuck on the Laprade?
    Look here I think it shows both stuck and unstuck for this saddle.

View topic - Ritchey Everest 1981. "Big Red" | Retrobike

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-seat.jpg
    Last edited by sq_root_of_2; 03-11-2013 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Mt. Taminthians, 3:11:

The gold bike is beyond awesome. I know that 30+ years later you guys are drooling over it, even though the technology is dated. Think about the time when there was literally no comparison to the bikes that we were building. Three guys working out of a couple of garages were, for a few months at least, making the coolest bikes on the planet, and trust me, we knew it.

Who gets even ten minutes of being "the coolest?" I see this stuff that I help build, preserved to look like the day it rolled out, and I get chills. No way back then I would believe that our products would be revered like this three plus decades later.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member

Alright, you made me curious too. So I went and dug around a little. Anybody have a bike with a Type II fork and a Type II seat sandwich?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by sq_root_of_2 View Post
    Look here I think it shows both stuck and unstuck for this saddle.
    Okay, it's a different configuration for the one bolt system.

That looks like the French version of the Laprade. The SR had a fluted post. SR was heavier, but a stronger post. One of the first nine bikes we sold came back with the French Laprade in the same condition.
    shui.

artistic...

Most of all i admire your modesty...
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Tim, looking at the KVille photos I noticed your brake lever perches have the 'removable face' with a fastening screw on top and bottom. Is this an aftermarket perch as were common in the motorcycle world? Or maybe the real early Maguras were like this? Looks like it might get in the way of the shifter? Love the bike. Too bad you snapped the post.
    The bike came to me with these levers and I didn't have the heart to change them. Wasn't sure what the deal was with the double screws. Not like any other Maguras (I probably have about 8) I have and didn't know if they were early or what. It did make for the thumbies going way inboard but they were easy to shift all weekend with my big mits. I am bummed about the post but thank goodness it wasn't the seat tube. something new to put on the ebay search. In the mean time I have a Newer one to use. Absolutely loved riding the bike but a little more attention to the fragile drive train and avoiding pinch flats should have been in order. I just get excited when I ride.

mtbr member

FWIW, It is tough to get your weight back and low behind a B72. The silence before the snap was beautiful!

To quote Hollister, you can see the seat sandwich in the sandwich bag here:

One less post:

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Most of all i admire your modesty...
    And I appreciate the compliment. (*blush*) You're too kind.
    shui.

mtbr member
    The bike came to me with these levers and I didn't have the heart to change them. Wasn't sure what the deal was with the double screws. Not like any other Maguras (I probably have about 8) I have and didn't know if they were early or what. It did make for the thumbies going way inboard but they were easy to shift all weekend with my big mits. I am bummed about the post but thank goodness it wasn't the seat tube. something new to put on the ebay search. In the mean time I have a Newer one to use. Absolutely loved riding the bike but a little more attention to the fragile drive train and avoiding pinch flats should have been in order. I just get excited when I ride.
    Good for you for railing the thing. It's not like it's a common bike. I love the pic of the broken chain hanging over the top tube. Garage queen? Yeah right!

Have to say, those TA cranks look a little spindly under a big guy like you.

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast