Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread

378K views 2K replies 192 participants last post by  Ranger Mac 
#1 ·
Lots of Ritchey threads on this forum...but now's the time to show off your Ritchey!

Lets see pics of what you've got!

#959 ·
I tried, still not sure how to copy multiple quotes on VRC but thank you all for the nice comments. You all have some very nice Ritchey's yourselves!

Here is the build thread. Still a few things to change. Nothing glaring but a few things just aren't quite right to me. Don't think those pedals came out until 82/83 need some silver KKT Lightnings or Suntour MP1000's, Still need a few brass ferrules for the top tube brake housing, those are aluminum on there now. Need to braze the cable ends. Thanks to H for letting me know I need end caps not plugs on the bar ends (like the red ones you see on really old Stumpies), Has a Specialized chain guard glued on the chain stay. Haven't been too anxious to take it off yet. Always pictured this build with allen head bolts instead of QR's. Jaguar shift cable housing. Thats about it though.

Loosing a little with the cut and paste function from Excell to VRC but you get it:

RITCHEY EVEREST 1981 NOTES
FRAME Ritchey Everest JS
FORK Ritchey Biplane JS
RIMS UKAI WITH BUMPS RG
HUBS PHIL WOOD STEEL RG
WHEEL QR CAMPY CLIST MARK
FREEWHEEL/CASSETTE WINNER 6 DONOR UNIVEGA
SPOKES RG
TUBES SCHRADER FULL CIRCLE CYCLE
TIRES MITSUBOSHI SILVER STAR DONOR SCHWINN K5
HANDLEBARS RITCHEY BULLMOOSE JS
GRIPS FOAMIES FIRST FLIGHT
BRAKE LEVERS MAGURA JS
SHIFT LEVERS SUNTOUR MIGHTY JS
STEM RITCHEY BULLMOOSE JS
HEADSET CAMPT NR JS
BRAKES FRONT MAFAC JS
BRAKES REAR MAFAC JS
SADDLE BROOKS B72 CLIST DAN
SEATPOST LAPRADE JS
SEATPOST QR CAMPY JS
BOTTOM BRACKET RITCHEY NEW BEARINGS.
CRANKSET TA 180 JS
RINGS TA STASH
DERAILEUR FRONT SIMPLEX JS
DERAILEUR REAR HURET DUPAR TITANIUM EBAY
CHAIN SHIMANO CLIST MARK
CAGES COBRA SWAP
PEDALS TIOGA DONOR STUMPY/NEED KKT
BRAKE CABLES HEAVY DUTY CLIST MARK
BRAKE HOUSING 6MM CLIST MARK
SHIFT HOUSING JAGUAR 5MM CHANGE?
SHIFT CABLE JAGUAR CHANGE?
OTHER BREEZER SEAT SANDWICH JS
OTHER CABLE TIPS NEED TO BRAZE CABLE ENDS
OTHER REMOVE 81? SPECIALIZED CHAIN GUARD
OTHER FERRULES BRASS/NEED 2 TT
OTHER BAR ENDS NEED RED CAPS

#960 ·
SADDLE BROOKS B72 CLIST DAN
It would not have been sold with that saddle. The B-72 had four wires supporting it and did not fit on that seatpost without some sort of adapter. My Breezer #2 has a B-72 mounted on a (modified) Campagnolo micro-adjusting SP. Joe made an adapter that was a block of aluminum grooved on both sides, and fit between the double rails. He had to replace the original adjusting screws with longer ones in order to attach the saddle.

How did you put that saddle on the Laprade post?

#966 ·
The gold bike is beyond awesome. I know that 30+ years later you guys are drooling over it, even though the technology is dated. Think about the time when there was literally no comparison to the bikes that we were building. Three guys working out of a couple of garages were, for a few months at least, making the coolest bikes on the planet, and trust me, we knew it.

Who gets even ten minutes of being "the coolest?" I see this stuff that I help build, preserved to look like the day it rolled out, and I get chills. No way back then I would believe that our products would be revered like this three plus decades later.

#968 ·
Mt. Taminthians, 3:11:

The gold bike is beyond awesome. I know that 30+ years later you guys are drooling over it, even though the technology is dated. Think about the time when there was literally no comparison to the bikes that we were building. Three guys working out of a couple of garages were, for a few months at least, making the coolest bikes on the planet, and trust me, we knew it.

Who gets even ten minutes of being "the coolest?" I see this stuff that I help build, preserved to look like the day it rolled out, and I get chills. No way back then I would believe that our products would be revered like this three plus decades later.

#979 ·
There seems to be several versions of the forks that Tom built for the first couple of years. The gold bike has a flat top-plate and neither plate extends beyond the fork leg. I've seen sloping top plates that also don't extend beyond the crown. Most of the forks are sloping and the top plate extends beyond the crown. And at least a few, like frame #1 pictured below, has a flat crown where both plates extend beyond the fork leg. I wonder how many total versions of the fork actually exist?

#984 ·
So that was my next question; if the Palo Alto preceded the Ritchey/MountainBikes decal in ~'82.

Here's one of the MountainBikes decals (also has them on the rims):

Also has flush crown, but with sloping top and no serial number:

CK, I remember the story you told about you taking a batch of parts to the anodizer to make them black, do you remember the date that that took place? And was it only a one time occurence for those early builds?

#990 ·
That one is my favourite just because it's a contradiction>road decal on a mountain bike
I'm not sure that it's a "road" decal. It's just the decal that Tom was using at the time - and he was making road bikes as there were no mountain bikes. ;)

I'd love to find a frame that fit me with the really old decals. You can see them a bit in this pic.

#993 ·
Ritchey Tam

1981 or 82 This frame has a wierd # it looks like 1d3 but on the other hand the other way looks like 2P upside down 1??? It has chrome fillet brazed bars and above BB front derailiure route. Chris king headset Phil Italian threaded BB vertical rear drops but has slotted cable guides any ideas?

Attachments