Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Annapurna 1A5

Was it anyone here who just scored that beautiful Annapurna frameset
    from the auction site?

I had those photos open all week just to admire it. This must have been
    among the very first of the Annapurna frames.

Clearly someone is going to treat it right (me thinks).

Anyone???

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not me...but I was watching it.

Here are some photos

Serial Number 1A5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-01sm.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-02sm.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-03sm.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-06sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Tom Ritchey

Everything TR that I own broke. My off center rims developed scary cracks. Anyone else have problems with TR?

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by pepelkod View Post
    Everything TR that I own broke. My off center rims developed scary cracks. Anyone else have problems with TR?
    Head set and BB cups cracked. That's it.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Retro on Steroids
    Link to a .pdf of a 1983 article in an English bike magazine, Ritchey/MountainBikes on the cover of February 1983 Bicycle. Definitely the first R/MB to arrive in the UK.

http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/ckim...azine_1983.pdf
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Wonderful piece! Thanks for posting it.

Does anyone have the US Bicycling Mag article from spring 1981 (April or May?) that has TR on the front cover? The cover image is easy enough to find, but does anyone have a scan of the actual article? If so, could you be so kind as to post it? Please?

It was that article that inspired me to order my Ritchey in August.

Thanks.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by LeicaLad View Post
    Wonderful piece! Thanks for posting it.

Does anyone have the US Bicycling Mag article from spring 1981 (April or May?) that has TR on the front cover? The cover image is easy enough to find, but does anyone have a scan of the actual article? If so, could you be so kind as to post it? Please?
    Now who might have such a thing?

Today's scan if I get time.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    I'm still looking forward to reading that May 1981 Bicycling article. . .

Okay, if this post if off the reservation, it can be pulled. Below is a stunning example of TR's frame-building. It is a tandem. I wish it were mine, but it isn't! The stoker position is too big for my stoker, anyway.

There is a serious discussion elsewhere about trying to date this. There appears to be no serial #. The components are 70's, but that oblong downtube treatment screams '82-'84 to me. The Palo Alto decal says 1980-82. As does the twin-plate crown. It has a 5-speed alpine freewheel. The BB's are earlier model Phil's. The front hub is an older Phil. The rear is a drum brake with no visible brand marking.

Can anyone advise with a more precise build year?

Otherwise, here are some amazing photos.

sftrydr
    Asked TR his take on this beaut, here is his edit'd reply

I built quite a few of them, road tandems ===between 74-79

There is a serious discussion elsewhere about trying to date this. There appears to be no serial #. The components are 70's, but that oblong downtube treatment screams '82-'84 to me. The Palo Alto decal says 1980-82. As does the twin-plate crown. It has a 5-speed alpine freewheel. The BB's are earlier model Phil's. The front hub is an older Phil. The rear is a drum brake with no visible brand marking.

Can anyone advise with a more precise build year?

mtbr member
    Thanks.

There's a '78 road tandem on the registry list, but the down tubes are not shaped, like the later 84+ Team Comps, etc. This one just seems later, but just in my rustic's eye.

His response reminds me of a comment once made by a well-known foreign correspondent from whom I was trying to verify a citation date for an article he'd written. He said, "Articles are like burgers. Some are certainly better than others, but all are ultimately forgettable." And I thought, "Maybe for you!!!" Same thoughts here: Really? It was one of oh-so-many I've forgotten? Sigh.

Thanks, again, for asking.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Beautiful tandem!!

Check the date on the seat posts. If they're the same it's probably reliable. Seatposts seems to be one of the components that don't get swapped out that often.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Sure glad you got the original fork......and bars....Congratulations.....
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff View Post
    Thanks! I'm super happy to have it. Serial number is 9C14, so yeah, it's a 19".
    Very Cool! I'm the original owner of 9C13, that I had Tom build for me late summer of 85. after over 2 decades of hard riding, with the paint looking pretty rough, the time has come for a rebuild. I've managed to collect most of the needed components for my restoration, with the exception of some NOS brakes. (got any?)

quick question. Does anyone have the Imron Paint Code for the original "Team Comp Red"? Also I'm having a hard time locating decals to match the originals. Any source for the vintage design/color scheme for these. They were the blue stickers with the yellow border.

Much thanks,
    Will

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
    very cool! I'm the original owner of 9c13, that i had tom build for me late summer of 85. After over 2 decades of hard riding, with the paint looking pretty rough, the time has come for a rebuild. I've managed to collect most of the needed components for my restoration, with the exception of some nos brakes. (got any?)

quick question. Does anyone have the imron paint code for the original "team comp red"? Also i'm having a hard time locating decals to match the originals. Any source for the vintage design/color scheme for these. They were the blue stickers with the yellow border.

Much thanks,
    will
    picspicspics!!!!!!!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

the new Gilbert Grape
    Time for a little road action... I recently found this bike in my size. The salmon-color would not my first choice, but the paint is in great condition. The components are dated 1989, so it's probably from '89 or '90. I've only ridden it around the block a few times, but looking forward to putting on the miles.

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

artistic...
    Laffeaux,,

PERFECT.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Will,
    You can search the threads, but I think some folks here have had good experience with velocals.com. If I'm not mistaken, some NOS decals just like that sold on eBay in the last few months; he may have more, check the recently ended listings.

mtbr member
    Excellent score Eric, Salmon uh? lol
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

mtbr member
    I like the color. And the bike.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    That is BEAUTIFUL and I love the color. Just perfect.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Time for a little road action... I recently found this bike in my size. The salmon-color would not my first choice, but the paint is in great condition. The components are dated 1989, so it's probably from '89 or '90. I've only ridden it around the block a few times, but looking forward to putting on the miles.

Matches your polo though right?

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Actually I don't mind Salmon , just giving laffeaux some payback, guess TR had some left over for #8P5

"I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

the new Gilbert Grape
    Ken, yep it's the same color as your bike - which I always referred to as "salmon" and never considered it to be pink.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Ken, yep it's the same color as your bike - which I always referred to as "salmon" and never considered it to be pink.
    Your a wise man

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11 View Post
    Actually I don't mind Salmon , just giving laffeaux some payback, guess TR had some left over for #8P5

You're making Fillet brazed cry again.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    I dig the salmon color, KB's is a personal favorite.

Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast