Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132
Results 1,551 to 1,581 of 1581
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks folks, it'll be a somewhat brief "build" thread, if the pictures were accurate she's in pretty good shape. I'll create a P-22 build-lite thread now. Hopefully I and it will be ready for this mythical vintage ride Rumpf mentioned?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Here's a nearly completed project that I've been working on this past year. Sorry for the picture quality but it's pouring rain outside, so I snapped a few pics in my garage.

I had been looking for an early (pre-1980) Ritchey road frame for a while, but finding them is difficult, and find one in my size is even more difficult. I found and bought this frameset on Feb 2 of this year. I lucked into this one on the Classic Rendezvous list.

The paint was originally gray and in really rough shape. I had the seller send it directly to CyclArt in SoCal to have them "fix" the paint. Luckily they were able to turn around the frame quickly and by late March the frame was in my hands with fresh paint!

I wanted to build the bike up with less common parts than I normally see or use. The easy route would have been a full Campy Super Record build, but I own a full-SR bike from this era already so it seemed kind of repetitive. I opted to go with as many US made components as possible and fill in the rest with a Zeus 2000 drive train and brakes and Cinelli bar and stem. There are not a whole lot of US-made offerings from the era, but I did go with Hi-E hubs, Weyless seat post, and an Avocet saddle (not US made, but a SF bay area company). Coming up with some of the parts was challenging but it's finally together.

I think the frame is form '79 based on the serial number. Tom used a lot of different styles when he built, and this frame as the "park bench" behind the BB to stiffen the frame, and an interesting fork crown.

Since it's raining I've not actually ridden the bike yet, but will get it out this week to see how it does.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20161030_140726.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20161030_140812.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20161030_140759.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_front.jpg
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

sftrydr
    A ride in the nearby wilderness area should be the tell all..
    This bike is made for trails... nice lookin rider!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Here's a nearly completed project that I've been working on this past year. Sorry for the picture quality but it's pouring rain outside, so I snapped a few pics in my garage.

I had been looking for an early (pre-1980) Ritchey road frame for a while, but finding them is difficult, and find one in my size is even more difficult. I found and bought this frameset on Feb 2 of this year. I lucked into this one on the Classic Rendezvous list.

The paint was originally gray and in really rough shape. I had the seller send it directly to CyclArt in SoCal to have them "fix" the paint. Luckily they were able to turn around the frame quickly and by late March the frame was in my hands with fresh paint!

I wanted to build the bike up with less common parts than I normally see or use. The easy route would have been a full Campy Super Record build, but I own a full-SR bike from this era already so it seemed kind of repetitive. I opted to go with as many US made components as possible and fill in the rest with a Zeus 2000 drive train and brakes and Cinelli bar and stem. There are not a whole lot of US-made offerings from the era, but I did go with Hi-E hubs, Weyless seat post, and an Avocet saddle (not US made, but a SF bay area company). Coming up with some of the parts was challenging but it's finally together.

I think the frame is form '79 based on the serial number. Tom used a lot of different styles when he built, and this frame as the "park bench" behind the BB to stiffen the frame, and an interesting fork crown.

Since it's raining I've not actually ridden the bike yet, but will get it out this week to see how it does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161030_140726.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1102737

Name:	20161030_140812.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	1102739

Name:	20161030_140759.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1102740

Name:	ritchey_front.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1102744
    Briiliant. Awesome. Perfect. I am also on the Not campy for a change.. camp. I like Suntour (on cinelli supercorsas for example) but i guess it would be non period correct since Suntour entry was early to mid eighties. I may be wrong.

You even went w/ tubular wheels... classy.

mtbr member
    Wow!
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    FANTANSTIC ......I love those "park bench" Ritcheys !

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I could look at that fork all day straight

Sergeant Spandex
    Stunner

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    A thing of beauty.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Very nice, Laffeaux.

By the way, I had a dream the other day with you in it. You were moving back and I was helping you and your wifey. It was very hot and the uhaul was very full with inner tubes hanging from the ceiling. haha!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Very nice, Laffeaux.

By the way, I had a dream the other day with you in it. You were moving back and I was helping you and your wifey. It was very hot and the uhaul was very full with inner tubes hanging from the ceiling. haha!
    It's a dream about pregnancy.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Very nice, Laffeaux.

You really dream big, don't you.

I hope the inner tubes held air, unlike the ones hanging in my basement waiting to be patched.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Laffeaux,

I'll have to chime in and say that fork is a thing of beauty, so elegant, I think I like it more than the bi-plane ones. Hope you get a break in the rain (and before the snow!) to get a couple rides in.

The Ritchey brazed stem isn't for this right? come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a brazed Ritchey road stem, though I haven't been around the block that many times. Cheers and enjoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Oh and I also like the subtle decals, I assume this is before the iconic "Ritchey" decals?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    Oh and I also like the subtle decals, I assume this is before the iconic "Ritchey" decals?
    The stem is for a different bike. I think Tom made some road stems that climbed onto a steerer stub, but I've not seen a fillet-brazed quill stem from him.

The frame would normally have "Ritchey" on the down tube. However, I asked CyclArt not to put them on. I think it looks better without them, plus the frame doesn't require a decal to tell people who built it.

mtbr member
    Bi-plane road fork.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey12.jpg

mtbr member
    Clamp on stem from 1976.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6485a.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome bike Laffeaux!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Clamp on stem from 1976.

Name:	IMG_6485a.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	483.0 KB 
ID:	1103690

Jesus Christ... I just had a visual orgasm.

mtbr member
    Yeah, not bad for a 19 year old kid.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Bi-plane road fork.

Name:	Ritchey12.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1103686
    Dario Pegoretti is doing something similar for his Luigino... 19yr old Tom's job does not fall behind.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    is that a powder coat? looks kindda plasticiky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    is that a powder coat? looks kindda plasticiky
    Cycleart laid it on way too thick unfortunately.
    Last edited by DoubleCentury; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Briiliant. Awesome. Perfect. I am also on the Not campy for a change.. camp. I like Suntour (on cinelli supercorsas for example) but i guess it would be non period correct since Suntour entry was early to mid eighties. I may be wrong.

I bought a Fuji Finest in 1973 that had Suntour / Sugino drivetrain.
    Latitude 61

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I bought a Fuji Finest in 1973 that had Suntour / Sugino drivetrain.
    Hmmm... good info. When did everybody realize the suntour rear derr. was way more efficient (and lighter) than campy? Late 70s?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Hmmm... good info. When did everybody realize the suntour rear derr. was way more efficient (and lighter) than campy? Late 70s?
    Suntour patented the slant parallelogram rear derailleur in 1964, and the patent didn't expire until 1984. During that time Suntour likely had the best shifting derailleurs on the market. I think Rhino (Italian component maker) licensed the design, but no one else did.

For Europeans that raced (and the few Americans as well) Suntour and Shimano were rarely used. In the pro peloton they were certainly non-existent. Suntour did not sponsor teams or cater to racers, but I'm not sure why the average rider didn't use them so much. Frank Berto wrote a great article on Suntour and part of his explanation was that Suntour sold their products too cheaply - no one believed that a $20 derailleur out performed a $45 derailleur.

Campy was the biggest supplier of the era and was on most of the non-French race bikes, but Simplex, Huret, Zeus, Gipiemme, and others all built products as well. Simplex had the lightest, Suntour shifted the best, and everyone wanted Campy.

Campy saw Zeus as their big competitor, and completely missed Suntour and Shimano taking over the market in the '80s.

artistic...
    Suntour patented the slant parallelogram rear derailleur in 1964, and the patent didn't expire until 1984. During that time Suntour likely had the best shifting derailleurs on the market. I think Rhino (Italian component maker) licensed the design, but no one else did.

For Europeans that raced (and the few Americans as well) Suntour and Shimano were rarely used. In the pro peloton they were certainly non-existent. Suntour did not sponsor teams or cater to racers, but I'm not sure why the average rider didn't use them so much. Frank Berto wrote a great article on Suntour and part of his explanation was that Suntour sold their products too cheaply - no one believed that a $20 derailleur out performed a $45 derailleur.

Campy was the biggest supplier of the era and was on most of the non-French race bikes, but Simplex, Huret, Zeus, Gipiemme, and others all built products as well. Simplex had the lightest, Suntour shifted the best, and everyone wanted Campy.

Campy saw Zeus as their big competitor, and completely missed Suntour and Shimano taking over the market in the '80s.
    Excellent info. Also, the cranks... Suntour cranks are beautifull too while Campy of certain vintage had the habit of breaking.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

Timberwolf ready for prey

Not sure what year this frame was brazed by Tom, fairly early judging by the ser#, perhaps one of the first unicrowns. This was Barry's bike who is 70 and lives on the flatlands of Vancouver delta. He mentioned he bought it from Bayshore bikes on a day that Tom was actually there and there was a special on pricing and Tom would sign the top tube. He wasn't really a cyclist but had lots of money at the time and thought these new mtb's were cool. He certainly didn't ride much, it was sporting rack,bags,3w light and my fav a kickstand. It is completely orig sans extras. 19" and I guess it was painted here possibly and built up later from Tom's older stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1711.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1723.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1734.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1735.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1736.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Man that is awfully clean, I am assuming it's now in your line up? Also is that bull moose TIGed? If it's now yours nice find and like the story too.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Si enter into collection awaiting similar public vmtb display/museum/coffee/eatery/brewery. As of now everyone including me is shunning any responsibility for such venture for obvious reasons mostly it would cut into ride time which is more important.

mtbr member

Name:	20161030_140726.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1102737

Name:	20161030_140812.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	1102739

Name:	20161030_140759.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1102740

Name:	ritchey_front.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1102744
    This is such a fabulous bike. I remember when it came up on the CR list. To say that the "paint was rough" is a bit of an understatement. There were some significant issues with rust and corrosion. Clearly CycleArt did some very fine restorative work there.

Do please give us a ride report -- as well as any additional photos you might like to post (!)

I have a weakness for Tom's work in this era. I think it was right at his peak!

imho, obviously.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132