Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread

378K views 2K replies 192 participants last post by  Ranger Mac 
#1 ·
Lots of Ritchey threads on this forum...but now's the time to show off your Ritchey!

Lets see pics of what you've got!

#740 ·
Have a couple old Brazed Ritchey's i just brought home from the LBS.

The built one i got from an old Syncros Factory Employee. He said the headset was an old prototype he use and ended up keeping on his bike (wish he had put some syncros cranks on this beast)... brazed stem, fork and frame

Other frame will be next winters project, thnk it may need a re-paint (forks are black, frame is green)

Attachments

#741 ·
The bike Laffeaux has was a special order, and had a one of a kind CycleArt paint job. You will not see another like it.

Can't remember the disposition of the bike. As I recall it stayed around the shop for quite a while and then I think we sold it to someone other than the person who originally placed the order.

Good to see it again and to know that it is in capable hands.

#747 ·
A little rusty on the outside, but totally intact... All XT , fillet brazed Ritchey stem... Could not believe someone just dumped it. The weird thing is that it I used to own the exact same bike, and I was reminiscing about it just days before...
I go there all the time. Once something is "dumped" it's gone, scraped up by the big machine in seconds.

Did one of the workers there separate it out? How did you retrieve it?

#746 ·
so...

This was definitely discarded as trash, it's not in running order, not yet anyway. It's the right size frame, but the stem is too long. So if anyone wants to trade for a shorter one, it's a nice stem. I am definitely fired up to ride this back and flashback to the late 80's... Did I mention the Hite-RIte?

#749 ·
Hmmm. 0C14 is in the serial number list.

The 6526 has been added later with a die and hammer, as they clearly cut thru the finish.

In theory, it should be a 1984-5 Team Comp. . . but

[Edit: Ooops. I thought the # wasn't repeated, but I see that is was from time to time. SO, I'd say it is clearly a late 84 or early 85 Team Comp. IMHO.]

#759 ·
This bike belonging to a San Anselmo firefighter was one of the first nine frames Tom Ritchey advanced to Gary Fisher in 1979, the launch of MountainBikes.

The owner was relieved of it last night along with an Otis Guy,
Fantastic bike!

Relieved of an Otis!? Nooo! You have any pics of that one?

#771 ·
Thanks Eric! I'm sure you were reading the previous posts, it's a 84-85 Team Comp.

Picked up from the Yuma craigslist, from the grandson of the original owner.

I should have some wheels for it. Any leads on decals? NOT going to paint it, but the decals are a little beat.

#812 ·
Thanks! I'm super happy to have it. Serial number is 9C14, so yeah, it's a 19".
Very Cool! I'm the original owner of 9C13, that I had Tom build for me late summer of 85. after over 2 decades of hard riding, with the paint looking pretty rough, the time has come for a rebuild. I've managed to collect most of the needed components for my restoration, with the exception of some NOS brakes. (got any?)

quick question. Does anyone have the Imron Paint Code for the original "Team Comp Red"? Also I'm having a hard time locating decals to match the originals. Any source for the vintage design/color scheme for these. They were the blue stickers with the yellow border.

Much thanks,
Will

#777 ·
I got to talking with my girlfriend's mother about bikes a few weeks back when all of the sudden she brought up Ritchey. We had been talking about road tours in general, so I knew she had something specific to talk about. She asked if I knew of any of his stuff and she began to list a few parts that is manufactured under the name Ritchey these days. I told her I knew more than just those parts and knew a little bit about his legacy in mountain biking history. She got up from the table and told me I might enjoy a few pictures. She came back with a photo album and showed me some photos of her and a mustachioed man that she said was at one time her boyfriend. I picked up on her inference and asked how long she dated Tom, et cetera. It really made me jealous seeing pictures of her with some of the nicest bikes of the era. It also made me want an authentic Ritchey bike just that much more!

She told me some other things about Tom as her memory began to flicker and he sounded like a genuinely thoughtful man. It was an interesting feeling of some distant-closeness to a man who has work that I find very admirable.

Funny, now there's a Trek hanging in her garage.

#782 ·
She told me some other things about Tom as her memory began to flicker and he sounded like a genuinely thoughtful man. It was an interesting feeling of some distant-closeness to a man who has work that I find very admirable.

Funny, now there's a Trek hanging in her garage.
Way cool story! :)

There, that's better. I'll post a thread on this sometime soon.

View attachment 683483
Much. Again, nice pick up. Bike just looks like it'll ride great.