Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast
    He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Grab Ons....I have no idea how FF's new ones are.)
    FFB's grips are exactly like the originals. I know this because I was the one who pestered Charley at Grab-on for about three years about coming out with a re-release of the original composition. When he finally relented I was about to go overseas for 18 months so I couldn't move forward on it on my own, so I passed it on to FFB just to make sure it happened. Thanks to Charley and FFB.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    FFB's grips are exactly like the originals. I know this because I was the one who pestered Charley at Grab-on for about three years about coming out with a re-release of the original composition. When he finally relented I was about to go overseas for 18 months so I couldn't move forward on it on my own, so I passed it on to FFB just to make sure it happened. Thanks to Charley and FFB.
    They might be the same foam compound (which has a nice feel), but if these are what you're talking about they sure don't look to be from the same mold as the originals:

He be a moose too.
    I don't have my NOS sets handy but when I've looked in the past, they were the same. Here is a picture from BikePro and these sure look the same. Flared ends with a slight rise in the middle.

Looking for:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    I don't have my NOS sets handy but when I've looked in the past, they were the same. Here is a picture from and these sure look the same. Flared ends with a slight rise in the middle.
    Originals seem to have a much more pronounced flange on one side (I prefer it on the inside like a BMX grip, but the Goat and the Ritchey came with them mounted on the outside) rather than almost symmetrical like the new mold:

He be a moose too.
    This is a pair from the early 90's and they don't seem to flair quite as much as what you have. Perhaps Grab-On changed the design at some time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_7482.jpg  

Looking for:

mtbr member
    Hard to flair more than that bike.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

sftrydr

Hope this Helps, and doesn't muddle the Discussion

Here's some TR team issue grips from the bin,
    We cut the ones shown to allow for bar ends...

Like the ongoing Henrik D @ Vail video discussion, other than the anonymous pissy posts that is...

I was in the feed zone during that race, it was a helluva job to keep the individual riders bottles available,especially on the 1st lap....
    Appreciating(so far) the hands off disparaging of HD's softride stem...
    His handling skills were somethin to see...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_7859.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_7861.jpg  

mtbr member
    All of those Ritcheys are amazing! I really like the look of the fillet brazed frames. Now if I could only come up with an extra $2000

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by pure bikes View Post
    All of those Ritcheys are amazing! I really like the look of the fillet brazed frames. Now if I could only come up with an extra $2000
    You can find them for a lot less than that.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Over the Hill
    Here's my 1984 Ritchey Commando after a recent refurbishing. I had posted this bike here a while back, but it looks great now. Custom paint from Tom when he built it for me. Only original components are the front dr, biopace chainrings, and the seatpost. I built the Vantage wheelset myself. Has Ringle front brakes and skewers. Phil BB. King Headset. Shimano 600 SIS rd, Cook Bros Racing crank, Salsa stem.

mtbr member
    Hi Club Mud,

Very nice looking bike. Details on it look later than 1984. May I ask the serial number on this one?

[edit]: The chainstay level rear brake, for example, didn't show up (I thought) until 1987. No?

Thanks.

Owen
    Last edited by LeicaLad; 12-14-2011 at 08:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    Here's my 1984 Ritchey Commando after a recent refurbishing. I had posted this bike here a while back, but it looks great now. Custom paint from Tom when he built it for me. Only original components are the front dr, biopace chainrings, and the seatpost. I built the Vantage wheelset myself. Has Ringle front brakes and skewers. Phil BB. King Headset. Shimano 600 SIS rd, Cook Bros Racing crank, Salsa stem.
    Interesting build with the old and new, but it looks neat.

Over the Hill
    Owen, to the best of my memory it was '84 but it might have been '85 at the latest. The lower rollercam brake (which is now the Shimano on this machine) had just been introduced. It originally had Tom's fillet brazed bullmoose bars, which I would kill for to find again. Serial # OB365.

mtbr member
    Thanks, again. This is just to feed my curiosity, nothing more. Great photos. Yes, the right bullmoose bars would perfect the look.

That serial # would suggest, according to Eric's master list, 1986+.

I really think we should mount an effort to register/list many, preferably ALL, of the bikes in this very thread that are not yet listed on OldMountainBikes. That list really could become the Velo-Base of Ritchey mtb history, yes? Personally, I just love cruising the listings. This thread is better, but the build details are included on the list.

I am also curious about the history of the Tange tubing. Yours had the blue decal declaring the 4130 tubing. So does frame 1C3, a true 1984 Team Comp, even tho it is "accepted" that Team Comps used Columbus tubing until the SuperComp in 1987. The list has no photo posted (one has been submitted), but I've seen good photos showing it. Mine (again, a deep genuflection to Matt), on the other hand, # 2C7, has no tubing id markings externally. I assume it is Columbus tubing.

Jus' curious.

Thanks, again. Great thread. Only the Legends thread is comparable.

mtbr member
    Clean lines! I really like your snow white Ritchey. Personal preference would be for a different saddle and grips (white Turbo reissue?), but the bike looks great. The decal color sets off the frame and black build really well.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Over the Hill
    Thanks again, Owen.

I submitted my info and photos to oldmountainbikes last week but he has not updated the page yet. As with many older items (like my vintage guitars), serial numbers are not always sequential or spot on for accuracy. I know I bought it in '84 or maybe '85. I wonder if the current Ritchey company has those build or dealer order records? My local dealer has long since closed, and I doubt I'll ever find my sales receipt.

BTW, Nate, the color is Dupont Imron Eggshell Blue, a very slightly bluish white, but it's hard to see that in photos. I've already changed the grips to all black but they are still new. The seat I had in my shop from a recent Specialized Roubaix. Not really correct but being white, I just had to put it on.

mtbr member

Not top of the line but...

...still a very nice riding bike. Any other Outbacks out there? I believe this one to be an '88 or '89. sn 00429, 7 speed XT group. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-89-outback-drive.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-outback-rt-rr.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-headtube.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-cluster.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-fork.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    Definitely don't see as many, but that one is clean!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That must have been a custom order if the paint is original. Pretty sure they were blue stock. What a great bike!
    test

mtbr member
    My Outback.

mtbr member

wow!

That blue looks great. That's about the same size as mine, right? 21.5? It's a tad big for me (20" is perfect) but it works.

I bought it about 5 years ago from the original owner, but I can't remember what year he said it was. My guess is '88? the s/n is 00429, which at first made me think it was a '90, but hadn't Shimano moved to the next-gen XT group w/trigger shifting?

I think this was a custom order, as suggested, but I can't remember the details. You may notice the down tube cable guide for a rear u-brake. He told me he specified rear cantis, so maybe this one was originally delivered from Japan w/the u-brake setup, but when the Ritchey guys finished the rear triangle they put cantilever bosses vice the "normal" u-brake?

Thanks for the input guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Just sold a set of those exact tires with mold release powder a month or two ago on ebay.

I've seen them a couple other places too, I think Velocult might also have a set. But yeah, pretty rare.
    I covet a Ritchey bike. These pics are great.

I just purchased a rust bucket condition 84 Stumpjumper Sport. It has the exact same 180mm crank set as that sweet red Ritchey. I think it has those rare tires as well. I'll take them out of the garbage can tonite and check. Glad I read this, the tires might be worth more than the bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    getting close with this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-screen-shot-2011-12-21-9.37.57-am.jpg  

mtbr member

very nice

Timber Comp?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wxflyer View Post
    Timber Comp?
    Wasn't big difference between TimberComp and TimberWolf those years components? TC rear brake Chainstay, TW seatstay. That said, TR would give you what you asked for......
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast