Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,600 of 1634
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Help with frame Identification..please?

Hello,

OK, so I'll start that by saying my "vintage" Mtn ride is in fact a gorgeous 1990 Bontrager (sorry), but that's all I'll say. In either case, I know this is thread is more mtn aligned, but I recently missed a Craigs list buy by 1 hr. She was a 1997 Swiss Cross, perfect size 56cm, just perfect, for $1,099 no less.....so now I'm crushed, but recently found this, any chance she was ever actually in TM's shop or a factory in Japan? I restored the Bontrager and am thinking about taking this on, but only is she's worth...any thoughts on where it came from, has a 4 digit serial #...
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-1.jpgName:  Ritchey_2.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  23.3 KBName:  Ritchey_3.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  24.0 KBName:  Ritchey_4.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  23.9 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for anyone who might be able to identify the above pictured Ritchey road frame..Ride on and enjoy
    Benjamin

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    Thanks for anyone who might be able to identify the above pictured Ritchey road frame..Ride on and enjoy
    Benjamin
    It's a 1990s Road Logic. The biggest change in these frames was the switch from traditional rear dropouts to Breezer-style dropouts in the mid 90s.

I put about 5,000 miles on a Road Logic and really enjoyed it. I now own a "Road Classic" which is the fillet brazed version of the frame.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Many thanks and I hate to say one more question

Many thanks for the response Laffeaux and from what I can gather the TIG welded Road Logic frames were made in Japan and only the Road Classics were actually made in Palo Alto?

Also last question, as I was actually trying to find something I could mainly use on dirt roads and some short city forays, there's also this Ritchey Mtn for sale, I'm a bit suspicious though, the decals say Ascent (which it doesn't appear to be), it may be pretending to be a 1987 Super Comp, but if you look at the seat end, it does not have that classic curve to it, plus the decals are wrong (but I know those can be replaced) and I'm not sure about the double water bottle bolts on the down tube), any ideas there? Here are some pics...Back brake is mounted like a Super Comp.
    Many thanks to all and sorry for the bother, have a great weekend all.Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey1.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey2.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey3.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey4.jpg

the new Gilbert Grape
    Many thanks for the response Laffeaux and from what I can gather the TIG welded Road Logic frames were made in Japan and only the Road Classics were actually made in Palo Alto?
    Correct, the "Road Logic" frames were all TIG welded imported. I believe that they were made by Toyo in Japan. The "Road Classics" were made by Tom in California although he was no longer in Palo Alto when they were made.

And in the pic below it sure looks like this is a TIG welded frame. No way it's a Super Comp. Very likely it's an Ascent as labeled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ritchey2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	1033581
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Again many thanks laffeaux, and I know therey're only pics, but I thought the welds the at steer tube look TIG also the seat post collar does not have that peaked flourish. I suppose the custom paint job made me confused. She's still in pretty good shape for her age, the price seems reasonable too, but it's a long drive, I'm still stinging from missing out on the 97' Swiss cross, she was just so beautiful, in amazing shape, great price and just my size too! My search will continue as that is actually what I'm looking for, must be patient...many thanks again and have a great weekend.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    be mindful of the super cross it has rust at the weakest point of the frame. I'd buy the ascent that a beaut!

mtbr member

1989 Super Comp

Bought this NOS already built up. Only parts that were not NOS were the Grafton Levers and the Tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchysuper.jpg  

84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Oh man, really where in the world did you find that?! Is that a re-paint or original? Please tell me it cost you dearly (j/k). I recently purchased a 1999 NiTi frame in great shape to build up over the "winter" here in NorCal, I know the rumors about the NiTi, but am giving it a shot anyway to find out for myself.

In either case that beauty is just amazing, lucky you! Fillet brazed or Tig? Any chance you have more pics?

Dig it,

mtbr member
    Its all original paint, fillet brazed the original owner must have not like decals, he took a couple off the bike, took them off the Ibis stem, the CBR bars (the ones that had the blue decals and not etched), the hubs and the seatpost.

the first picture is its first ride, on the Maah Daah Hey Trail, covered it in mud and cow s**t.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-super2.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-super3.jpg  

84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member

1990 p23

Here my P23, supposedly the only one this original color. Tried to get it back to as original as possible. Bottom bracket is Ti and the rear brakes are Pauls, i couldn't get the Dia Compe 986 on the rear to set up properly, it was dragging on the bottom of the brake boss where its brazed.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_5118.jpg
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member

One more Ritchey

1984 Ritchey Team Comp, with the Columbus tubing.

this one is kinda of a basket case. Its a repaint by Rainbow Cycle Craft out of Colorado. They put non period correct decals on it. Pulled most of them off.

Had a mishmash of newer parts when i got it. Switched out the wheels for Durace hubs on RM20's. Put the Shimano Deerhead group back on and a brooks saddle. Also has the nice Blackburn specific full braze ons, which was a extra option.

The fork is getting sent off to receive some thread chasing and a stub to be brazed in. The original bars broke and the guy i got it from put a Ritchey FB force stem on it and lost the double quill. The fork was prepped for a stub but never received it. I have a nice 7/8 stem that will work nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-11781644_10203600481487299_1656456007947333645_n.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-11760264_10203600481727305_808403357151446709_n.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-11703176_10203600481567301_8714056074044939577_n.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritcheyfork3.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritcheyfork.jpg  

84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ok Yaks, now I'm really curious, how on earth did you manage to gather such phenomenal collection, I can't imagine those are all local finds? The brazing on the 89' Super Comp is exquisite and never have I seen a P-23 in that color...glad to see they're all being ridden.

I plan to ride my 99' NiTi after I build it up, find out for myself how it handles, maybe tweak it a bit and ultimately if it doesn't work for me I'll part with it. Have you ever ridden one? I will always keep one eye out for a true classic (P23, Super Comp etc.).

Take care and many thanks for sharing the pics and increasing my envy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That mint colour is fantastic on your Ritchey's!

mtbr member
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-dsc_0142.jpg
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Wicked thanks for that. The race is on for that elusive Trailmaster.

mtbr member
    Hello all, last week I acquired a third Ritchey from ebay, it's listed as a 1984 Timberwolf, serial #1B41, 21.5". Looking at the database and frame construction, that seems about right. It's missing a few original parts, but close enough for my needs-the size, condition, and price were right.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-841.jpg
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-847.jpg

Bullmoose bars are a given, maybe black, as I've seen in some catalogs/mags? I have a proper M700 RD ready to go for a Shimano-centric bike, but I could go Suntour XC, swapping out the Deerhead shifters and mechs, still keeping it somewhat original and correct. How weird is a dirt drop setup on a frame from this era? I'd be using the WTB/Specialized bars and a Nitto stem. I have most of the parts kicking around for the various builds, I've been hoarding some of it for a long time.

Feel free to discuss/share input, it will help me pass the time until it arrives, waiting is intolerable.
    WANTED: Fisher Paragon, blue/green, Ritchey dropouts.

mtbr member
    I had an 85ish B frame set up with DD and it worked great. Suntour would work great, but for the era without roller cams and with the Shimano already on there, I would probably continue with that. Fun pickup, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    I had an 85ish B frame set up with DD and it worked great. Suntour would work great, but for the era without roller cams and with the Shimano already on there, I would probably continue with that. Fun pickup, enjoy.
    Thanks, good to know that drops can work. Makes sense about the Shimano build. Maybe I am trying to differentiate it from my Timber Comp, which is the same color with a Deerhead/Dura Ace original build. The headset is Avocet, and the brakeset is Dia-Compe, making the shifters/mechs as the only obvious M700 parts. I don't know what the original wheelset was, unfortunately. All that opened the door in my head for more options as I was going through my parts bins.
    WANTED: Fisher Paragon, blue/green, Ritchey dropouts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    Maybe I am trying to differentiate it from my Timber Comp, which is the same color with a Deerhead/Dura Ace original build.
    I know what you mean. Suntour would look/work fine also. I like going with different components to differentiate builds. Plus you can use Suntour bar end shifters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Omg

finally:

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

1999 NiTi - Ride Experience?

Hello there,

OK, I know she's not truly vintage (I know not debatable in this crowd) and it's nothing like Yakima's fillet TeamOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-4.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-3.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-2.jpg, but I got a good deal on a bare/NOS 1999 Ritchey NiTi (nitanium) frame and have been building her up with some, but not all period parts. Gil at retro-decals did a great job on these panels. In either case, I've heard mixed reviews on the handling of the NiTi, any one out there care to comment, give their thoughts?

Can anyone else suggest a more fitting fork? I know it was originally sold with 80mm suspension fork

Build (1999 M NiTi frame)\
    Full 1999 XT with XTR canti brakes and rear derailleur
    Wheels XT hubs, Mavic 517 SUP rims (great deal on em!)
    Ritchey WCS riser bars (had to since I'm 6 ft and the bikes a touch small)
    Thompson post
    chris King HS
    Odd Surly Big Dummy fork (tough to find a canti, 80 mm corrected fork for my budget, we'll see about this one.

So, that's her, I'm having surgery in a couple weeks and built her as inspiration to heal quickly and get on it for the spring/summer.

Any one that has experience riding one of these?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm a long time member, but hardly ever post, so please excuse my seemingly abrupt entry. I do follow along with this thread regularly, just haven't had the reason to add anything until just now. This is probably going to be a "To be continued..." post as well, so my apologies in advance, but I hope you'll understand my excitement as you read on!

Story time to set everything up:

A couple months back a close close friend of my wife's family passed away. He was nearly 100, so nothing unexpected, but he was a great guy to chat with so he'll certainly be missed. He had a fairly large estate, so my in-laws are helping to go through some of his belongings (you may guess where this is going already). Obviously they know I'm "into bikes", so naturally when they came across a few bikes stored in the basement they asked if I was interested in them.

Now, I'm sure we've all been asked this same thing at some point, "Hey, you bike, do you want this old bike I found in the basement/garage/barn?" Not expecting much I said that I probably wasn't interested because the wife (their daughter) would kill me if I added any more bikes to the stable, but there are a few bike charities in the area that would gladly take them. Just for curiosity I said send over a few pictures and I'll take a look at them.

Well... I do wish that there was a video camera on me when I opened up the email with the pictures of these bikes because, I think I remember falling off my chair. On my computer screen I see pictures of not 1, but 2 of my dream, holy grail, vintage mountain bikes. Without blabbering on any more, I present two Annapurnas - serial numbers 3A4 and 4A5:
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_07.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_23.jpg

Warning before looking further, they are quite dirty at this point and my apologies for the bad pic quality. I wanted to take some pictures in "as found" condition to start the restoration documentation.
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_01.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_02.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_10.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_24.jpg
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_13.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_36.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_14.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_annapurna_30.jpg

I obviously have loads of other pics if interested, but I'll stop there for now. If you want some other specifics let me know and I'll post some detailed shots. As far as I can tell they have all the original components (down to the tires). Based on some of the components I'm guessing the silver one is late-1985 and the blue one is around 1987.

I have tons of questions about this find, it's sort of a big mystery? For one thing he lived near Philadelphia, so that's quite a journey. Why did he have two - one for quick trips and one for touring (blue one fully loaded)?

The biggest question is, what am I going to do with them? They are massive frames (23" and 24"), so unless I grow 8" in my mid-30's I'm not going to be riding them. I'd love to restore at least one of them, maybe hang it on the wall if the wife agrees??

Anyway, enjoy for now and maybe I'll start a new thread soon with the resto process!

mtbr member
    Wow!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Wow!

Exactly!

They both look like they will clean up well. New tires, cables, brake pads should get them rolling again.

Those are giant frames! My '81 Everest is 24" - at 6'1", I can ride it, but would not dare to do anything technical off road.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the clean-up / resto.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Sidewinder View Post
    Exactly!

They both look like they will clean up well. New tires, cables, brake pads should get them rolling again.

Those are giant frames! My '81 Everest is 24" - at 6'1", I can ride it, but would not dare to do anything technical off road.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the clean-up / resto.
    Yeah, absolute monster frames! I'm 5'9" with my hair sticking up, so definitely not riding them anywhere.

I'm going to try giving them a bath this weekend to see what we're working with. The blue one has a large section of bad touch-up paint on the top tube (looks like blue house paint with a brush was used), but other than that should hopefully clean up nicely.

gobsmacked Moderator

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread

Whoa.
    The opposite bike fit styles crack me up.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by lpw71 View Post
    Now, I'm sure we've all been asked this same thing at some point, "Hey, you bike, do you want this old bike I found in the basement/garage/barn?"
    Wow!! You might possibly be the luckiest man alive.

If I were you I'd rig up a contraption that will hang you by your feet as you sleep, in the hopes that you will slowly stretch about 8-inches over the next few months.

Those are two great bikes! Hopefully you can trade one for an Annapurna in your size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Wow!! You might possibly be the luckiest man alive.
    He is, no doubt. Whenever people ask me to look at old bikes in their basement or garage it usually turns out to be a Huffy.

mtbr member
    Fantastic find! Nice save.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, absolute monster frames! I'm 5'9" with my hair sticking up, so definitely not riding them anywhere.

I'm going to try giving them a bath this weekend to see what we're working with. The blue one has a large section of bad touch-up paint on the top tube (looks like blue house paint with a brush was used), but other than that should hopefully clean up nicely.

As Laffeaux said, perhaps you can trade one of them for an Annapurna in your size and use the other for wall art, unless you have a riding buddy that is over 6ft.

The scratches and touch up are part of the bike's history and character. It means it was ridden as intended.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    For one thing he lived near Philadelphia, so that's quite a journey.

Killing me that these came from my back yard....I'm guessing the previous owner lived in the Wayne/Devon/Radnor/Villanova area?

Steve

mtbr member
    Steve, either you have got the same PM 15 times or I am going to have to email you.

What I really like about this Annapurna post is a long time lurker stepped up and presented. At less than one post per year for the last decade, thanks for making the time to share these jewel's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What I really like about this Annapurna post is a long time lurker stepped up and presented. At less than one post per year for the last decade, thanks for making the time to share these jewel's.
    Absolutely no problem, after sitting in a basement for a couple decades these needed to be appreciated! I never knew he was even a cyclist, but he'd apparently go on long rides around the area. Interesting the things you learn about people by going through their things.

Steve - you're spot on with the guess, Nova area. I'm just down in N Wilmington, so you're welcome to come down and take a peek.

I love the "rack" idea laffeaux! It is pretty heartbreaking that they're no where near my size, but as you say I'm lucky enough to even see these, so I can't be greedy. Now the search begins for an NBA player that's stuck with an 18" Annapurna to trade...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ! I never knew he was even a cyclist, but he'd apparently go on long rides around the area. I

Now the search begins for an NBA player that's stuck with an 18" Annapurna to trade...
    Just curious - how tall was the original owner? If that is how he had the bikes set up, they didn't fit him properly either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Sidewinder View Post
    Just curious - how tall was the original owner? If that is how he had the bikes set up, they didn't fit him properly either.
    I originally met him when he was about 90 and he was still quite tall, so they probably fit him ok. The pics of the blue one are as I found it. I moved the post on the silver one - had to see if I could at least sit on it right

mtbr member
    I wonder what frame I will buy when I hit 70? Back looking at the pictures again.

mtbr member
    Wow - very cool! If I had to guess I bet the guy had the grey/silver one built and then decided to do some touring so he had the blue one built with eyelets for the BG racks and Beckman bags. You are one lucky man!

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    You shouldn't have a problem finding an 18" frame only just begging for a fillet fork and bull moose bar. The blue one would be the one to keep together with the long stem. Not sure if you can put a 23"frame fork on a 18" frame?

mtbr member
    Pretty sure a 18" Annapurna is the next hardest to find Ritchey after a 1983 Ritchey Competition
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

the new Gilbert Grape
    An early 18" Ritchey frame is really small. In '83 that size frame came with 24" wheels - not sure about later years.

While a 24 and 25 inch frame are large, they're not crazy large. A 24" frame should fit someone that is 6'2" or over.

Ritchey measure to the top of the seat tube, not center to center, and there is no slope to the top tube, so using "modern" sizing does not work. There's a good sizing guide in the '83 Mountain Bikes catalog:
    http://oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs...kes1983_15.jpg

EDIT: According to the '86 catalog, a 19" frame was the smallest size Annapurna offered. So don't look too hard for an 18" frame.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Yes interesting, maybe repack can weigh in on when frame measures changed after K&F break. I see the K&F size chart for 83 the only tube size change was the top tube. all the frames had the same 17.5" chain stays. Tom changed the ratios of angles and lengths depending on overall size. He did offer fillet 18" frames in 26" wheels a little later. My suggestion was to find a fillet any model chassis in a 18-20' any year and mate it with the bull bars and fork and parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    My suggestion was to find a fillet any model chassis in a 18-20' any year and mate it with the bull bars and fork and parts.
    Obviously, the owner can do what he wants. However, I would not cut up an original, rare Ritchey Annapurna in that manner. I'm sure that in due time, a frame / fork swap could be made with another Ritchey owner that has one too small to ride. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Ritchey Wheelset, what year?

Hello folks,

I have a quick question, can any of you wise peeps give me an approximate age for this wheel set? I picked these up very inexpensively and was thinking of putting them on my 92'/93' P-22 (which should be delivered today!!), would they be way off base? Also, any opinion as to the quality of the hubs, bearing issues? Many thanks and hope you all had good muddy Norcal weekend.
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-wheelset.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-wheels-2.jpg

Oh, anyone have a spare Ritchey front skewer just laying about??

gobsmacked Moderator

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread

Hey! Maybe start a separate thread on your bike as I'm sure you will be having lots of questions about it and it's fun to watch a project progress through one single thread. this thread is more a picture thread of completed bikes. Your bike era used shimano hubs. The Ritchey catalogs are online. Google it and you'll see how they were built up back in the day. Glad you're getting super excited Santa!

VRC Illuminati
    Hello folks,

I have a quick question, can any of you wise peeps give me an approximate age for this wheel set? I picked these up very inexpensively and was thinking of putting them on my 92'/93' P-22 (which should be delivered today!!), would they be way off base? Also, any opinion as to the quality of the hubs, bearing issues? Many thanks and hope you all had good muddy Norcal weekend.

Oh, anyone have a spare Ritchey front skewer just laying about??
    GOB has a good suggestion. Bike should have it's own 'build thread' so we can all enjoy (and help field questions).

That wheelset is years too new and IMO the quality won't be as good as a correct Shimano XT/600 wheelset. QR's would also most likely be Shimano.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    OK, understood and I'll think about it. I apologize for my posting etiquette violations, hey at least I wasn't trying to sell something w/o buying an ad! Take care

the new Gilbert Grape
    The "Rock Comp" rims came out in '97. I'm sure they are fine, but they were the lowest of the three rims offered at the time: Comp / Pro / WCS. "Comp" level components were solid high performing components - with Pro and WCS being lighter, strong, or both.

gobsmacked Moderator
    OK, understood and I'll think about it. I apologize for my posting etiquette violations, hey at least I wasn't trying to sell something w/o buying an ad! Take care
    No, it's fineeee! You didn't violate anything. I just thought we could help more and it's fun to watch the progression if your new bike had a dedicated build thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    No, it's fineeee! You didn't violate anything. I just thought we could help more and it's fun to watch the progression if your new bike had a dedicated build thread.
    This ^^^^^^^ Yor bike is nice. It deserves it's own thread. Also, this place needs more build threads of nice bikes in it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks folks, it'll be a somewhat brief "build" thread, if the pictures were accurate she's in pretty good shape. I'll create a P-22 build-lite thread now. Hopefully I and it will be ready for this mythical vintage ride Rumpf mentioned?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Here's a nearly completed project that I've been working on this past year. Sorry for the picture quality but it's pouring rain outside, so I snapped a few pics in my garage.

I had been looking for an early (pre-1980) Ritchey road frame for a while, but finding them is difficult, and find one in my size is even more difficult. I found and bought this frameset on Feb 2 of this year. I lucked into this one on the Classic Rendezvous list.

The paint was originally gray and in really rough shape. I had the seller send it directly to CyclArt in SoCal to have them "fix" the paint. Luckily they were able to turn around the frame quickly and by late March the frame was in my hands with fresh paint!

I wanted to build the bike up with less common parts than I normally see or use. The easy route would have been a full Campy Super Record build, but I own a full-SR bike from this era already so it seemed kind of repetitive. I opted to go with as many US made components as possible and fill in the rest with a Zeus 2000 drive train and brakes and Cinelli bar and stem. There are not a whole lot of US-made offerings from the era, but I did go with Hi-E hubs, Weyless seat post, and an Avocet saddle (not US made, but a SF bay area company). Coming up with some of the parts was challenging but it's finally together.

I think the frame is form '79 based on the serial number. Tom used a lot of different styles when he built, and this frame as the "park bench" behind the BB to stiffen the frame, and an interesting fork crown.

Since it's raining I've not actually ridden the bike yet, but will get it out this week to see how it does.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20161030_140726.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20161030_140812.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20161030_140759.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey_front.jpg

sftrydr
    A ride in the nearby wilderness area should be the tell all..
    This bike is made for trails... nice lookin rider!

artistic...
    Here's a nearly completed project that I've been working on this past year. Sorry for the picture quality but it's pouring rain outside, so I snapped a few pics in my garage.

I had been looking for an early (pre-1980) Ritchey road frame for a while, but finding them is difficult, and find one in my size is even more difficult. I found and bought this frameset on Feb 2 of this year. I lucked into this one on the Classic Rendezvous list.

The paint was originally gray and in really rough shape. I had the seller send it directly to CyclArt in SoCal to have them "fix" the paint. Luckily they were able to turn around the frame quickly and by late March the frame was in my hands with fresh paint!

I wanted to build the bike up with less common parts than I normally see or use. The easy route would have been a full Campy Super Record build, but I own a full-SR bike from this era already so it seemed kind of repetitive. I opted to go with as many US made components as possible and fill in the rest with a Zeus 2000 drive train and brakes and Cinelli bar and stem. There are not a whole lot of US-made offerings from the era, but I did go with Hi-E hubs, Weyless seat post, and an Avocet saddle (not US made, but a SF bay area company). Coming up with some of the parts was challenging but it's finally together.

I think the frame is form '79 based on the serial number. Tom used a lot of different styles when he built, and this frame as the "park bench" behind the BB to stiffen the frame, and an interesting fork crown.

Since it's raining I've not actually ridden the bike yet, but will get it out this week to see how it does.

Name:	20161030_140726.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1102737

Name:	20161030_140812.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	1102739

Name:	20161030_140759.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1102740

Name:	ritchey_front.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1102744
    Briiliant. Awesome. Perfect. I am also on the Not campy for a change.. camp. I like Suntour (on cinelli supercorsas for example) but i guess it would be non period correct since Suntour entry was early to mid eighties. I may be wrong.

You even went w/ tubular wheels... classy.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Wow!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    FANTANSTIC ......I love those "park bench" Ritcheys !

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I could look at that fork all day straight

Sergeant Spandex
    Stunner

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    A thing of beauty.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Very nice, Laffeaux.

By the way, I had a dream the other day with you in it. You were moving back and I was helping you and your wifey. It was very hot and the uhaul was very full with inner tubes hanging from the ceiling. haha!

artistic...
    Very nice, Laffeaux.

By the way, I had a dream the other day with you in it. You were moving back and I was helping you and your wifey. It was very hot and the uhaul was very full with inner tubes hanging from the ceiling. haha!
    It's a dream about pregnancy.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Very nice, Laffeaux.

You really dream big, don't you.

I hope the inner tubes held air, unlike the ones hanging in my basement waiting to be patched.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Laffeaux,

I'll have to chime in and say that fork is a thing of beauty, so elegant, I think I like it more than the bi-plane ones. Hope you get a break in the rain (and before the snow!) to get a couple rides in.

The Ritchey brazed stem isn't for this right? come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a brazed Ritchey road stem, though I haven't been around the block that many times. Cheers and enjoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Oh and I also like the subtle decals, I assume this is before the iconic "Ritchey" decals?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Oh and I also like the subtle decals, I assume this is before the iconic "Ritchey" decals?
    The stem is for a different bike. I think Tom made some road stems that climbed onto a steerer stub, but I've not seen a fillet-brazed quill stem from him.

The frame would normally have "Ritchey" on the down tube. However, I asked CyclArt not to put them on. I think it looks better without them, plus the frame doesn't require a decal to tell people who built it.

mtbr member
    Bi-plane road fork.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey12.jpg

mtbr member
    Clamp on stem from 1976.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6485a.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome bike Laffeaux!

artistic...
    Clamp on stem from 1976.

Name:	IMG_6485a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	483.0 KB 
ID:	1103690

Jesus Christ... I just had a visual orgasm.

mtbr member
    Yeah, not bad for a 19 year old kid.

artistic...
    Bi-plane road fork.

Name:	Ritchey12.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1103686
    Dario Pegoretti is doing something similar for his Luigino... 19yr old Tom's job does not fall behind.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    is that a powder coat? looks kindda plasticiky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    is that a powder coat? looks kindda plasticiky
    Cycleart laid it on way too thick unfortunately.
    Last edited by DoubleCentury; 11-07-2016 at 01:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Briiliant. Awesome. Perfect. I am also on the Not campy for a change.. camp. I like Suntour (on cinelli supercorsas for example) but i guess it would be non period correct since Suntour entry was early to mid eighties. I may be wrong.

I bought a Fuji Finest in 1973 that had Suntour / Sugino drivetrain.
    Latitude 61

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I bought a Fuji Finest in 1973 that had Suntour / Sugino drivetrain.
    Hmmm... good info. When did everybody realize the suntour rear derr. was way more efficient (and lighter) than campy? Late 70s?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Hmmm... good info. When did everybody realize the suntour rear derr. was way more efficient (and lighter) than campy? Late 70s?
    Suntour patented the slant parallelogram rear derailleur in 1964, and the patent didn't expire until 1984. During that time Suntour likely had the best shifting derailleurs on the market. I think Rhino (Italian component maker) licensed the design, but no one else did.

For Europeans that raced (and the few Americans as well) Suntour and Shimano were rarely used. In the pro peloton they were certainly non-existent. Suntour did not sponsor teams or cater to racers, but I'm not sure why the average rider didn't use them so much. Frank Berto wrote a great article on Suntour and part of his explanation was that Suntour sold their products too cheaply - no one believed that a $20 derailleur out performed a $45 derailleur.

Campy was the biggest supplier of the era and was on most of the non-French race bikes, but Simplex, Huret, Zeus, Gipiemme, and others all built products as well. Simplex had the lightest, Suntour shifted the best, and everyone wanted Campy.

Campy saw Zeus as their big competitor, and completely missed Suntour and Shimano taking over the market in the '80s.

artistic...
    Suntour patented the slant parallelogram rear derailleur in 1964, and the patent didn't expire until 1984. During that time Suntour likely had the best shifting derailleurs on the market. I think Rhino (Italian component maker) licensed the design, but no one else did.

For Europeans that raced (and the few Americans as well) Suntour and Shimano were rarely used. In the pro peloton they were certainly non-existent. Suntour did not sponsor teams or cater to racers, but I'm not sure why the average rider didn't use them so much. Frank Berto wrote a great article on Suntour and part of his explanation was that Suntour sold their products too cheaply - no one believed that a $20 derailleur out performed a $45 derailleur.

Campy was the biggest supplier of the era and was on most of the non-French race bikes, but Simplex, Huret, Zeus, Gipiemme, and others all built products as well. Simplex had the lightest, Suntour shifted the best, and everyone wanted Campy.

Campy saw Zeus as their big competitor, and completely missed Suntour and Shimano taking over the market in the '80s.
    Excellent info. Also, the cranks... Suntour cranks are beautifull too while Campy of certain vintage had the habit of breaking.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

Timberwolf ready for prey

Not sure what year this frame was brazed by Tom, fairly early judging by the ser#, perhaps one of the first unicrowns. This was Barry's bike who is 70 and lives on the flatlands of Vancouver delta. He mentioned he bought it from Bayshore bikes on a day that Tom was actually there and there was a special on pricing and Tom would sign the top tube. He wasn't really a cyclist but had lots of money at the time and thought these new mtb's were cool. He certainly didn't ride much, it was sporting rack,bags,3w light and my fav a kickstand. It is completely orig sans extras. 19" and I guess it was painted here possibly and built up later from Tom's older stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1736.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1735.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1734.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1723.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_1711.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Man that is awfully clean, I am assuming it's now in your line up? Also is that bull moose TIGed? If it's now yours nice find and like the story too.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Si enter into collection awaiting similar public vmtb display/museum/coffee/eatery/brewery. As of now everyone including me is shunning any responsibility for such venture for obvious reasons mostly it would cut into ride time which is more important.

mtbr member

Name:	20161030_140726.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1102737

Name:	20161030_140812.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	1102739

Name:	20161030_140759.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1102740

Name:	ritchey_front.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1102744
    This is such a fabulous bike. I remember when it came up on the CR list. To say that the "paint was rough" is a bit of an understatement. There were some significant issues with rust and corrosion. Clearly CycleArt did some very fine restorative work there.

Do please give us a ride report -- as well as any additional photos you might like to post (!)

I have a weakness for Tom's work in this era. I think it was right at his peak!

imho, obviously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Help IDing my new(to me Ritchey)

I recently bought this Ritchey. I am not going for period correct collectable, but a just a nice vintage usable all terrain bike.

Serial number 1654. I am kinda confused what model it was. I am assuming it is A 1994 P-22 because of the 4 digit serial. I have not seen any all white frames bikes from browsing since the Ritchey Ultra. Could the bike have been repainted or was white offered ever on the p series? Also a bit confused about the MarwiUSA sticker. At first I thought it was the name of someone (maybe racer or someone who owned the bike) but then found out they make seats, pedals, spokes. As far as I know it didnt have any Marwi products on it...

It seems it was built with all Shimano XT bits from 1994 - M737 (8 Speed shifters, Xt Brakes, XT rear derailleur , XTR front.
    -Some Sugino Crank.

Ritchey Cockpit bits
    -Force Stem
    -Comp lite bar
    -Ritchey Seatpost

Ritchey Rock Pro Rims - Made in Italy. The hubs I can't id yet. The logo is some Stylized "O".

Anyone know if more info on this bike? I was hoping to id it so I could pull the Marwi stickers of and put the corresponding P-22, p-23, etc on there!

Thanks.

Edit - photos to come.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B55...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by slowedtrans; 12-15-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Photos

Sergeant Spandex
    Looks legit to me, I have seen white P series bikes before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    2 Ritchey Supercomp...but still want to have more of fillet brazed frames
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-s__1900642.jpg  

rismtb
    Dec 2012

1r0 10

From Vancouver a very early Ritchey ser # 1R0 10. This number would put it second in the directory. Interesting pancake bended front derailleur hanger. Very similar to Tom's road bikes. The bike was bought from a small west side classified newspaper before internet aprox 83'. The bike had the orig bullmoose bars but were broken. The new owner took it in to West Point Cycles to get new bars. Very soon the shop told him the bike belonged to them and he had bought a stolen bike. He then when back to the girl that he paid $500 bucks to. She freaked {was a prison guard at the time} and gave him his money back. West Point cycles said they had been paid out by the insurance co and would he be interested in buying it. He did and had Paul Brodie weld a very cool custom stem and had extra set of braze on for another water bottle. Its been painted and is set up for a daily cruiser I know some don't agree but there it is a very early Ritchey out there still giv'in a sweet ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3109.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3108.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3106.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3105.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3104.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3102.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3101.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3100.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3099.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3098.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3097.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3095.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3094.jpg  

the new Gilbert Grape
    That's a nice one! I like the blue/black combo.

The fork isn't the early design where the top plate is flush with the legs, and the seat tube has the ring-retainer at the top meaning that it's not super early. I'd guess the serial number means 1981. Possibly the 10th frame of the year? Who knows?

To me it's nice to see the time capsules if unridden unmodifed bikes, but it's also nice to see bikes like this that show a history of use. Bikes that were used as intended and modified to work as needed are equally cool in my book.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    ya the ring on seat collar made me wonder to. It would be so cool to be ridding that in 81. If it belonged to West Point Cycles that could be the first TR bike in Canada. Grayson Bain and Co owned that store and went on to open RM in 83. Funny thing is there was a Rocky Mountain mtb bike builder/Co in Colorado in like late 70'S?

artistic...
    I love everything about it except maybe the thomson straight post. Beautifull bike being ridden on the streets.

mtbr member
    I like it. RISMTB you always bring cool stuff to this thread.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Thanks Ductape, it helps living in Vancouver back when it was a small town and everyone wanted that new go anywhere ATB. There were a lot of passionate bright minds that did big things in the development of the sport over the years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quick question for the experts - I just found a pair or ritchey logic branded / dia compe canti brake levers in a local parts bin. The right lever has a return spring sandwiched in the pivot bolt area, the left one does not. Is the left spring missing, or was it never there...

Thanks.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    most canti's have same modulation in levers uninstalled so its missing the spring although I have been known to spew BS

AirTomac
    Jul 2017
    My P-23... bought the frameset this year and built it according to the 1990 spec... still needs some last changes (headset, bar, and cogs) but it is a sweet sweet ride for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

artistic...
    18 in?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by AirTomac View Post
    My P-23... bought the frameset this year and built it according to the 1990 spec... still needs some last changes (headset, bar, and cogs) but it is a sweet sweet ride for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    18in?

AirTomac
    Jul 2017
    18in?
    No, 19in... 49cm center to top.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey1990_02_03.jpg

VRC Illuminati
    Colkervision getting rusty!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Colkervision getting rusty!
    no way, man. it´s sharp. It´s Ritcheys which are size confused.
    Just from checking pics on Lafeaux´s database and there are 18in w/ headtubes bigger than 19in.
    It´s Tom Ritchey´s fault, not my eyes.

AirTomac
    Jul 2017
    I'm not selling. Just sayin'...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

frame ID help

Can anyone help determine what year this frame might have been produced?

Any anecdotal info on ride quality, especially as compared to other P series bikes from the same era would also be appreciated.

*this is not my bike
    **I know most components are not original, including the fork.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-2.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-3.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-4.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-5.jpg