Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,500 of 1584
    artistic...
    S***! it's beautifull. Throw some silver hardware and white wall tires there.

Stokeless Asshat
    Good choice using Harold. Nice work indeed.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

rismtb
    Dec 2012

A little more mint

winter projects
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2434.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2435.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2436.jpg  

mtbr member
    So do you plan on selling off the other three?

Thats a whole lot of the same color.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

Old School
    Dang... that's nice.

mtbr member
    Four frames, but only 3 forks? And only one is the bi-plane!

Still, lovely all. More details, please.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    83 comp NFS, 83 20' Timberwolf frame only, 84 20' Timberwolf frame/fork, 83 20' American tig Ascent frame fork. I have orig complete groupos + matching wheel sets for everything except the frame only. I plan on buying add on this forum first After I have assembled and applied decals. Should be quite the mint show.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Nice color. The '83 Competition is a hard to come by frame. It looks great.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Yup,

The 83 Competition has it all. Biplane fork, Columbus SP Tubing, Bilaminate lugs.

mtbr member
    You should sponsor a team at Keyesville.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    Yup,

The 83 Competition has it all. Biplane fork, Columbus SP Tubing, Bilaminate lugs.
    How does one determine that's a Competition vs an Annapurna. I've got an Annapurna that's got all the same details (I think...). What's the serial number?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    How does one determine that's a Competition vs an Annapurna. I've got an Annapurna that's got all the same details (I think...). What's the serial number?
    Competitions have the bi-plane fork, Columbus tubing, and were only made in '83. Annapurnas came out in '84 and have the unicrown fork. The Annapurna was a "luxury" frame and the Competition was the "race" frame.

The Competition kind of split in '84 - the Columbus tubing and race geo became the Team Comp, and the faux-lugs were incorporated into the Annapurna.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Competitions have the bi-plane fork, Columbus tubing, and were only made in '83. Annapurnas came out in '84 and have the unicrown fork. The Annapurna was a "luxury" frame and the Competition was the "race" frame.

The Competition kind of split in '84 - the Columbus tubing and race geo became the Team Comp, and the faux-lugs were incorporated into the Annapurna.
    Ok yeah that makes sense... and my Annapurna has the Unicrown. Some of the minutiae gets slightly foggy when you don't think about them everyday like we used to, right?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    winter projects
    Jesus! Did you get a discount rate on that color or do you just really really really like that green/blue shade?

Cool stuff!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    What Laffeaux said. Also the Competition has a "C" serial number like Team of the following years. Annapurna's have an "A" of course.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    winter projects

Those look pretty, but I'm a bit sad thinking about the OG paint and patina that has been lost.

Steve

mtbr member

How about my 650b Ritchey? Those were also called a Competition according to one old magazine write up.

the new Gilbert Grape
    How about my 650b Ritchey? Those were also called a Competition according to one old magazine write up.
    As far as I know those were never listed in a catalog. No idea what they were called, or even if they had an "official" name.

It's kind of like the early 26ers which were just the Ritchey MountainBike frame. It wasn't until there was more than one model that it needed a name - and it became an Everest.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    You should sponsor a team at Keyesville.
    hahahahaha...

rismtb
    Dec 2012

TR head badge

thanks to Velocal great deacls
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2460.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hmmm. looks nicer without paint. glad u got it. did u sort the sn mystery. stolen back in the 80's or no...

the new Gilbert Grape
    thanks to Velocal great deacls

The blue looks good on the teal.

mtbr member
    The blue looks good on the teal.
    very similar to mine

"I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

artistic...
    i would like to see more and learn more about that bike KB

artistic...
    found it> Springtime Resto '92/'93 Ritchey Everest

but pics are not there anymore.

mtbr member
    Fixed the pics for you
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

rismtb
    Dec 2012

team teal

kb11 you made me do this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2481.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2482.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2483.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2485.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2486.jpg  

mtbr member
    One of my favorites, KB
    Technology dragass

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ritchey Litebeam: Who's hoarding one of these?

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20140614_194434_zps229697be.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20140614_194449_zps838d6cd4.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20140614_194455_zps5ec98aa4.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20140614_194509_zps23b4ccc6.jpg

I believe this bike was made in 1995, around the time that Joe Breeze offered a Softride bike as well. I bought it new at a super closeout price in '99. I'm not sure it would have captivated me so much if the beam was the normal boa constrictor color. The bike had the full Ritchey/X-Ray/XT group in the beginning. (And a 28 spoke Ultegra front hub.) It's far from stock these days, just wheels, crank, brake levers, bar ends.

The more recent 2-speed drive train was inspired by a friend who has bikes set up this way. It lets you single speed where it's really far too steep to be single speeding. I just flip the chain manually when it's time to change gears. Gearing is 24-38x21, perfect for Mt. Lukens. I was willing to try this because the old XT/X-Ray/Ritchey setup was...unsatisfying. The chain tensioner is a Suntour Sprint derailleur off a mid-'80's Cannondale Black Lightning. As a 2-speed this bike has taken me to a lot of great places. It's one of my favorite bikes. (And I am a bike hoarder.)

The story from Tom is that during the years when Softride was a sponsor of Team Ritchey, Softride said at least one rider on the team had to ride a Beam bike. I heard he did a run of 50 of these. The other riders rode rigid Ritcheys with a Softride stem. It didn't sound like the team was especially happy about riding the beam bike.

A beam bike has its limits of course, but it works much better with clipless pedals. Flat pedals or toe clips don't work as well. To get a Softride beam suspension to work, you really have to plant yourself in the saddle and let your feet rattle a little bit when the trail gets rough. If you have a good connection to the pedals, it's easier to do this.

The fade paint on the frame and beam used to jive better, but a crack in a brazed joint got the frame back under Tom's torch and then a repaint. I am ever grateful for Ritchey's good service in repairing this bike.
    Last edited by whatisaidwas; 10-22-2014 at 07:16 AM.

sftrydr
    As to your initial question...I am, have many,still a daily, or,er, weekly rider of the Beamer's.
    Always happy to ride e'm, even happier I didn't have to sell them at a shop though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    As to your initial question...I am, have many,still a daily, or,er, weekly rider of the Beamer's.
    Always happy to ride e'm, even happier I didn't have to sell them at a shop though.
    [Looks at ssulljm's profile and gallery]

Holy crap man, I see in your gallery a photo of three Lite Beams and a Ritchey tandem. So that's where they all went.

You sir, have a problem. I can totally relate. I applaud your discretion, taste, and sensibility. Nice work.

mtbr member

Dates of These Bottles?

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritcheybottles.jpg

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RitcheyBottles.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	933736
    Nice. The one on the left has the newer logo (inside a blue box) which is from the early 2000's. The one on the right looks to be older.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I'm a little surprised that people were still making Softtop, non threaded, bottles in the early 2000's.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Thanks.

I'm a little surprised that people were still making Softtop, non threaded, bottles in the early 2000's.
    It could be earlier. But I don't remember the logo being in a box prior to that time though.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

1983 Competition

I believe this frame to be one of the first Ritchey's to be sold in Canada. After interviewing Larry Ruble owner of Maple Ridge Cycles the first few sat on his sales floor for weeks as the touring and roadie crowd stared at them and the price tag that was almost twice as much as a high end road bike. A few months later the levy broke. only a few orig parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2520.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2507.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2517.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2513.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2508.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2516.jpg  

shawnw
    I absolutely love that color and the condition is amazing. Good for you!

the new Gilbert Grape
    Yep, looks great!

Spin it again
    Those biplane Comps are super sweet! Nice job on the restoration. Any "before" pictures?

mtbr member
    Well done. Much quicker than I am.
    Spec sheet?

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    before pics are on retrobike search "Ritchey Goodness". My real interest were the fenders that were the very first product that Syncros made in the little shop in the alley off 2nd ave. Not many were produced by hand before they moved to bigger and better things. At the time they were a hot item because of the beefy one piece aluminum fender stay. Sadly most cracked that weren't mounted on rubber. They will be mounted on a 86 Timberwolf they will be more period correct on that. Bike specs list will appear when I list on old mountainbikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I don't believe this is V, R, or C. But it's Ritchey.

Can I sneak this in here?

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20130417_194525_zps3b7b6b19.jpg

2010 Break Away Cross

Or is it more like...

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-abandon-thread-gif.jpg

Retro on Steroids
    Is this thread for pictures of bikes or of the actual guy? I asked Tom to join me, Gary and Joe for a book signing at Interbike. He said, "Let me see the book." I gave him a copy and told him the signing was the next afternoon. Didn't hear a word one way or the other, but at the appointed time Tom showed up and signed copies of my book for two hours. 180 people have first editions with all four signatures.

Nobody gets Tom Ritchey to do free publicity. As far as I can tell, he doesn't even like to do publicity for himself. He doesn't have business cards, because he doesn't want people he doesn't know to find him. When he gets an award, it's a struggle to get him to show up and accept it.

I guess he liked the book, because he went out of his way to promote it for me, and pretended to enjoy the process. He looks pretty good in the book. The photos of his bikes are spectacular, including several studio shots from the SFO Museum.

I challenge anyone else to get Tom Ritchey and Gary Fisher to pose together. It obviously got a lot of attention, since the photo ran the next day on the cover of the show daily.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-show_daily.jpg

mtbr member
    CK,
    Finished your book a while back. Fun read, great pictures. Thank you (anyone here reading a VRC forum should read CK's book). Being a big fan of old Ritchey's and of course Mountainbikes, I found that part of the book the most interesting. I am curious though, after you stepped out of your business with GF, did Mountainbikes, or Fisher (the company) ever pay TR the 60K?

Old School
    See CK, this is the type of thing that tends to cause you grief -- When you go about trying to toot your own horn. It's really not necessary, and as Colker pointed out, it's not what successful people do. We're trying to love you here...but sometimes you make it difficult.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am glad that CK posted that story and photo.

Old School
    No disrespect, but that might be because you're new, and maybe you missed it in his "Bible" thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm not so new, a long time lurker actually. I know of the other long threads.
    I am glad that CK posted that story and photo.

Old School
    Sorry, not here to bust balls. Just trying to help out a "friend" who seems to get in trouble seeking on-line adulation. I'm done.

mtbr member
    CK,
    Finished your book a while back. Fun read, great pictures. Thank you (anyone here reading a VRC forum should read CK's book). Being a big fan of old Ritchey's and of course Mountainbikes, I found that part of the book the most interesting. I am curious though, after you stepped out of your business with GF, did Mountainbikes, or Fisher (the company) ever pay TR the 60K?
    Ha---I can see it being hard to get Tom and Gary in the same room for a happy photo session if Gary owed him $60k for decades. They are on opposite edges of the frame

velocipede technician
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!?! Okay, we know now that Hollister and CK have the magnetic power personalities required to get them in the same photo/same room. Kudos to you two titans.

velocipede technician
    Some more pictures of TR

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I challenge anyone else to get Tom Ritchey and Gary Fisher to pose together.

Whoops.
    -eric-

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Great pics! makes me want to sing......come together right now.....over mtb

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece. John Ruskin 1819-1900 writer

Retro on Steroids
    Sitting in front of the coffee house yesterday, and one of the regulars rolled up on this nice factory made Ritchey, which he had purchased the day before in Emeryville. Paint job looks custom. I presume the controls will date the bike for the purists.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey1.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey2.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey3.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey4.jpg

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Ha ha Shimano integrated brake/shifter what a era of bicycle over engineering. Too many little plastic parts that fail

rismtb
    Dec 2012

84 Timberwolf

Hope you aren't getting sick of the mint colour, this is the last of the frames I have forks for. Still need to decide on gearing.I rather like this one it has some interesting parts That were in my parts bin. Salsa black chrome bars {almost impervious to scratching}, early Answer very nicely welded stem, early syncros post, matching hub/rim French wheelset don't look at the tires they are **** anyway enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2604.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2607.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2610.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2614.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2615.jpg  

mtbr member
    Such a total embarrassment of riches.

Certainly yet another fine machine you've resurrected.

Great photos, too.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    thanks, I am only rich in Ritchey's which is all I need

mtbr member
    The paint came out great--I love the color. That stem doesn't fit (too new and too chunky), but hey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I finally get to share

At long last I have finished my P-21 restore. I have owned this early 90's Ritchey for almost 20 years. I am the second owner. The previous owner gave it a good beat-down and crappy orange, yellow, and black repaint. When I got my hands on it the only original parts, other than the frame, were the stem and cantilevers. Everything else had been swapped out for lower end components and the fork replaced with a Tange. NOS parts include both derailleurs, seat post, bars, cantilevers, headset, and fork, which was the most difficult to find, but not the most expensive component. Not exactly as it was on the showroom floor, but exactly as I want it. I raced this bike many times in it's previous incarnation and I'm looking forward to racing it in it's reborn state.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2449.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2451.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2453.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2455.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2452.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2458.jpg  

Wanted: 1985 StumpJumper Team 17.5 any condition.

mtbr member
    Good for you. Looks nice.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

Force Comp

I believe this is an 89-90??? Can't find any info on this model. Canadian only perhaps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-richey-force-comp-022-6.jpg  

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    After taking off the touring pkg this bike really woke up. 1989 I believe, Force stem bars tires. Kinda weird first year LX groupo. just a nice all Ritchey bike I posted for sale. I can't find any promo material on this model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2845.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2852.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2854.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2858.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2862.jpg  

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    We all know how hard it is to find Ritchey fillet brazed bars. Thanks to Pippin from Syncros a pair that were cut really short were brought back to ridable length. I just found this pic in my files from 2 years ago. He did a pro job thanks Pippin!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0260.jpg  

the new Gilbert Grape
    We all know how hard it is to find Ritchey fillet brazed bars. Thanks to Pippin from Syncros a pair that were cut really short were brought back to ridable length. I just found this pic in my files from 2 years ago. He did a pro job thanks Pippin!
    Nice! I had Mark Nobilette do this to a pair of my bullmoose bars too. Super narrow might have been cool at one point in time, but I'm not a fan.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What's the scoop on the Ascent? I'm wondering, is it worth the expense involved with new paint and components? The ones I see are pretty trashed.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

1986 Comp

State of art in 1986
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-comp2.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-comp-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Gone Missing: An old yellow Ritchey

Hi all,

So this is likely a long shot, and who knows, maybe this thread it completely dead, but I've got a favor to ask of you all. A couple of years ago my Dad's Ritchey was stolen while I left it unattended outside of a friend's house for a quick moment . I've held out hope that it might appear on craigslist or something of that sort, but no luck... which is what brings me here. I'm hoping that, at the very least you might be able to help me to a) identify exactly what kind of frame it was, and b) maybe keep an eye out for it. I have to apologize in advance for my lack of detailed information, so please bear with me as I explain to the best of my abilities what was lost.

The frame was (i think) a late 80's/early 90's Supercomp in Powerbar Proteam Yellow, with a matching unicrown fork. The frame was built up at Mountain & Road Bicycle Repair in Idaho Springs, CO, and has a sticker on the seat tube saying so. It was a 19" or 20", with Deore XT everything, and an Avocet O2 seat. The old gumwall tires had been replaced with black tires (specialized capitan in the rear, and a panaracer in the front). It had a silver quill/stem with a cable hanger, black flat bars that had a 'powerbar' sticker on the right side, canti brakes. I'm working on tracking down the serial number at the moment, but hopefully these pictures will do in the meantime.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-1.jpg
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-2.jpg
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-3.jpg

The last picture is of the bike in its glory days of racing through the Colorado high country! Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    You can trust that this thread is never, ever, dead.

I had my first Ritchey, 1981 frame 133, stolen from my Bangkok home nearly 10 years ago. I'm STILL very, very pissed off about it.

That yellow one looks very nice, but I'll let the true experts weigh in. My condolences to your dad. These are bikes we truly love.

Stokeless Asshat
    Lack of detailed information? Short of the serial number your description is excellent. Was it stolen here in Colorado?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well the Supercomp is my best guess for the frame type (based on the two bottle cage mounts on the DT and the fact that it was a 'team' bike).

It was stolen from Bozeman, MT. Like I said in my previous post, I was holding out hope that some drunk college kid/punk just took it for a joy ride, more than 3 years later no sign of the old bike. I figured it might be worth a shot here, as this is one of the keenest-eyed groups for old MTBs i've ever run across.

VRC Illuminati
    If any desirable bike like this is picked up by a forum member (not just MTBR VRC), it would likely resurface in a post. You've got enough detail to make it identifiable unless the thief covers or removes any of the tells that make it stand out.

It may surface someday. There have been bikes that have surfaced after having been lost for 15 years....so you never know.

Sorry about the loss. Really shitty.

As mentioned, this thread is unlikely to die at any point.
    -eric-

the new Gilbert Grape
    It's hard to tell exactly what the frame is form the pics, but it has Tange Prestige decals on the fork and seat tube, so it very likely is a SuperComp.

The yellow is a non-standard color, so if the bike is not repainted it should be pretty identifiable. However, if it's reapainted, unless you have a serial number there will be no way to identify it.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Who needs suspension
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3728.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3736.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3738.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Frame ID Help

So I acquired this frame the other day and need a little help nailing down exactly what it is. I think it's a P-23. The guy I got it from didn't know. He took it in on a trade for a Brooks saddle. He sent me a couple of pictures of it before he had it sand-blasted and clear-coated and it only had the "Ritchey" decal left on the down tube. This thing was roached. There a several holes where it was rusted through and about five dingers. Serial number is 913. What do you all think? p-23? What year? Thanks!

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-00b0b_ipytufecvtz_600x450.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-00j0j_70yx37tp6a5_600x450.jpg
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2401.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2402.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2404.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2406.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2408.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2412.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2414.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2415.jpgOfficial (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2416.jpg

mtbr member
    Sorry, but it's not a P-23, the rear brake cable on P-23 has no rear cable stop, the cable passes around /through the seat tube. Also the seat tube is not ovaled at the botton bracket. Your original decals look like an Ultra, '89 or 90. It could be an Ascent but front fork doesn't have a braze on. So my opinion is '89/ '90 Ultra. This is a nice frame, Tange Prestige and made in the US at TR's shop. Same geometry / tubing as the Super Comp. Bike's made in the US during this time had serial #'s all over the place, after all it gets smokey in a frame shop

Here's '89 Ultra catalog http://oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs...hey1989_08.jpg

And here's mine :

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks kb. You're probably right. My frame IS oavled at the bottom bracket, however. You can see it in the picture taken from behind. You're right about the cable stop. Looks pretty Ultra-y.

mtbr member

A pair of '89s for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velocipede technician

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Hollister, that's a very cool looking Ritchey...what's the story on it?

What size is the frame?

Steve

Retro on Steroids
    A guy calls me up and says he bought a Ritchey from me in 1981. Says he hasn't ridden it for a while, do I want to buy it? I told him I am well supplied with that item, but I would like to get some photos of it.

We meet for the photos, and i have to say it almost makes my heart sing, because this bike was USED UP! He raced it all over California for about ten years before retiring it, he broke and replaced about half of what came with it including the fork and Bullmoose bars. Says he had to have the rear wheel rebuilt 'cuz he trashed the rim, but the front wheel that I built is still original. Ahem.

Paint is original but trashed. I didn't ask why it had Tomaselli levers instead of Magura, but I should have.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey1.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey2.jpg

Serial # is 203.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey3.jpg

Cook Brothers hubs.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey4.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey5.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey6.jpg

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey7.jpg

mtbr member
    Great story. Right on! My size, feel free to send him my contact info!

the new Gilbert Grape
    Well used and looking good. That's what an old bike that's had a fun life looks like.

Team Brooklyn
    Out riding with Chefmiguel this morning at Six Mile Run
    Cool and crisp 58 degrees at start of ride but 77 when we finished 2 1/2 hours later.

Thanks to Colker - who gave me a longer stem, and to Girlonbike - who gave me some bars with less bend my P23 was transformed from disappointing into an exciting thoroughbred.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-image.jpg

Thanks Colker!
    Thanks Girlonbike!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Out riding with Chefmiguel this morning at Six Mile Run
    Cool and crisp 58 degrees at start of ride but 77 when we finished 2 1/2 hours later.

Thanks to Colker - who gave me a longer stem, and to Girlonbike - who gave me some bars with less bend my P23 was transformed from disappointing into an exciting thoroughbred.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	289.9 KB 
ID:	1013724

Thanks Colker!
    Thanks Girlonbike!
    a non-Ritchey stem? Colker!

Team Brooklyn
    a non-Ritchey stem? Colker!
    F-B - your "Colker-Vision" is failing as happens when you get old
    That is a Ritchey stem - WCS version.

mtbr member
    Oh, missed that. And yes, getting old. But I'm not good at the post-1991 stuff. But to be picture perfect it would need an early Ritchey stem with the hanger right?? WCS is circa '93 or so?

Those early P bikes ride great! Good to see it out on the trails!

Team Brooklyn
    Oh, missed that. And yes, getting old. But I'm not good at the post-1991 stuff. But to be picture perfect it would need an early Ritchey stem with the hanger right?? WCS is circa '93 or so?

Those early P bikes ride great! Good to see it out on the trails!
    100% on proper stem that's why I'm on the lookout for a fillet-brazen version.
    Colker was generous enough to give me a stem longer than what was originally in it. Now I know what I need.

artistic...
    Lol. It may not be vintage perfect but it's fit perfect. And lightweight.

mtbr member
    Finally:

artistic...
    Finally:

greeat looking bike

Fat City Michael
    Wow, amazing work.
    FATMIKEYNYC

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    A guy calls me up and says he bought a Ritchey from me in 1981. Says he hasn't ridden it for a while, do I want to buy it? I told him I am well supplied with that item, but I would like to get some photos of it.

We meet for the photos, and i have to say it almost makes my heart sing, because this bike was USED UP! He raced it all over California for about ten years before retiring it, he broke and replaced about half of what came with it including the fork and Bullmoose bars. Says he had to have the rear wheel rebuilt 'cuz he trashed the rim, but the front wheel that I built is still original. Ahem.

Paint is original but trashed. I didn't ask why it had Tomaselli levers instead of Magura, but I should have.

Name:	ritchey1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	1013404

Name:	ritchey2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	1013405

Serial # is 203.

Name:	ritchey3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	1013406

Cook Brothers hubs.

Name:	ritchey4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	1013407

Name:	ritchey5.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	1013408

Name:	ritchey6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	1013409

Name:	ritchey7.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	1013410
    Former owner called me yesterday to tell me he had sold this bike to a member of this forum, for an amount that I will let the new owner reveal. Old owner thanked me for putting him in touch. I won't identify him, but I'm pretty sure the new owner will 'fess up in this thread soon.

mtbr member
    Well ridden bike.
    Technology dragass

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    If only we could hear all the stories of where she been, who rode her, how many times she bucked the rider off and all the screams of excitement {and pain} flying down technical descents and climbing brutal granny gear climbs and surviving only because you own a superior fully ridged bike that was made to go anywhere. viva vintage mtb!

mtbr member
    The key to that one would be to restore it to era correct and mechanically sound without taking away all that hard earned patina.

Team Brooklyn
    The key to that one would be to restore it to era correct and mechanically sound without taking away all that hard earned patina.
    That would be a worthy effort!