Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Picture Thread

201K views 583 replies 214 participants last post by  BurkC 
#1 ·
Bushpig suggested we start one.

Post pictures of your Specialized!

See less See more
#209 ·
This is my 1986; 1X8. Picked up the frame for $30 and built it with some parts I had laying around + a couple of necessary purchases. There's nothing original on it, but the frame rides absolutely like a dream. Better yet, I'm beating some of my old PR's on it, both up and downhill (faster than my On One Inbred 29'er).

There is something about this bike that feels very right. It just clicks. The fit, the ergos... everything fits like a glove for me. Coming from a BMX background, the ride reminds me of how my old General Osborn Pro felt - like it was built for me.

I need to upgrade the seat to what I normally ride with (WTB) and I'm going 1X9. 1X8 is okay, but I don't like the jump from 26T to 34T in my gearing. Anyhow, I ride this nearly every day at my local trails while all my modern bikes just hang. It's interesting how this bike just gets around people on much more modern bikes.

I've kinda been searching for a modern, steel, budget friendly 26" XC style rigid frame set with horizontal dropouts and cantilever bosses - you really can't find these days. Then it dawned on me that these vintage frames were EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#213 ·
This is my 1986; 1X8. Picked up the frame for $30 and built it with some parts I had laying around + a couple of necessary purchases. There's nothing original on it, but the frame rides absolutely like a dream. Better yet, I'm beating some of my old PR's on it, both up and downhill (faster than my On One Inbred 29'er).

There is something about this bike that feels very right. It just clicks. The fit, the ergos... everything fits like a glove for me. Coming from a BMX background, the ride reminds me of how my old General Osborn Pro felt - like it was built for me.

I need to upgrade the seat to what I normally ride with (WTB) and I'm going 1X9. 1X8 is okay, but I don't like the jump from 26T to 34T in my gearing. Anyhow, I ride this nearly every day at my local trails while all my modern bikes just hang. It's interesting how this bike just gets around people on much more modern bikes.

I've kinda been searching for a modern, steel, budget friendly 26" XC style rigid frame set with horizontal dropouts and cantilever bosses - you really can't find these days. Then it dawned on me that these vintage frames were EXACTLY what I was looking for!

View attachment 728707
simple, unpretentious and close to the heart. I was going to say "post it on the 29er forum" but .. i would be wrong.

#212 ·
Still lots of work to do. Need a black Zoom bar, a proper seatpost, build a front wheel with the Hugi hub on hand, etc.

Deepest and most sincere appreciation to a certain MTBR member (who will remain nameless until he says otherwise) for providing the perforated gray Prolong saddle and real, genuine, from his own garage set of Ned Overend Zoom bar ends.

Here it is so far. Still a few pieces to acquire and afix but ...

Attachments

#217 ·
Here is my 1990 Stumpjumper Comp, just finished a 10 day strip, clean and refurbishing :)

Attachments

#228 ·
Oh man! I am soooo envious of that '88 you have. Nice work in converting the paint, btw. The only thing I don't like is the SS set-up, but to each their own.

In one respect wish you had it stock still, so I could bring my '89 Team and get photos of both together...

#229 ·
1995 Hardrock Sport, anyone?

Newcomer to mtbr. There are some great, well cherished classic bikes on here! I had no idea there was such a big group of people with the older Specialized and am happy to find this thread.

I have a 1995 (I think) Hardrock Sport that I am debating about fixing up. I'd love to find out more about it...does anyone have one or know anything about it? I looked it up and found that it is a steel frame. Is that true? The later ones are all alloy.

Is it worth fixing up? I had some pretty good times riding it back in the day. I can't post pictures yet, but it looks similar to a lot of bikes here, just dark blue. Thanks

#230 ·
Newcomer to mtbr. There are some great, well cherished classic bikes on here! I had no idea there was such a big group of people with the older Specialized and am happy to find this thread.

I have a 1995 (I think) Hardrock Sport that I am debating about fixing up. I'd love to find out more about it...does anyone have one or know anything about it? I looked it up and found that it is a steel frame. Is that true? The later ones are all alloy.

Is it worth fixing up? I had some pretty good times riding it back in the day. I can't post pictures yet, but it looks similar to a lot of bikes here, just dark blue. Thanks
Welcome! For the time being, take a peak through these catalogs and find your bike: Catalogues | Retrobike

Also a great thread on Retrobike (with considerably less drama than here): Show us your Specialized | Retrobike

#242 ·
I am self aware

Hey...I am aware. First off thanks for posting a pic of my bike.:thumbsup:

I am currently rebuilding it and am in the process of photographing all the titanium goodies that specialized put on this thing. The bottom bracket is a real thing of beauty. I don't know if I like having it sit on my coffee table more than having it installed.

I used to slobber over this bike when i was in my 20's looking at all the bicycle magazines. Sub 20lbs. hardtail from 1994. I will loop back with some better photos. I have the frame up there now with some nice close ups of those toothpastey looking welds. I am unable to post links at this time so I will need to follow up.

I'm using this as a touring bike. many people might think that to be ridiculous.

#246 ·
Hey...I am aware. First off thanks for posting a pic of my bike.:thumbsup:

I am currently rebuilding it and am in the process of photographing all the titanium goodies that specialized put on this thing. The bottom bracket is a real thing of beauty. I don't know if I like having it sit on my coffee table more than having it installed.

I used to slobber over this bike when i was in my 20's looking at all the bicycle magazines. Sub 20lbs. hardtail from 1994. I will loop back with some better photos. I have the frame up there now with some nice close ups of those toothpastey looking welds. I am unable to post links at this time so I will need to follow up.

I'm using this as a touring bike. many people might think that to be ridiculous.
Read your blog - cool stuff :thumbsup: (even if I don't condone the trespassing part :nono: ;)).

I have that exact frame - love the color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.