Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Did you part out the bike only to rebuy everything that you sold because of the engraving or you just wanted NOS parts on it?

So funny that you're going to put together a bike that doesn't handle well or climb well for your wife. Is this your method of keeping her away from your hobby?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post

So funny that you're going to put together a bike that doesn't handle well or climb well for your wife. Is this your method of keeping her away from your hobby?
    Ouch!

gobsmacked Moderator
    I didn't mean it to be rude but CS2 is a regular so I thought it was funny.

It's an interesting thought though, right? How do beginners who mostly get entry level (and sometimes ill fitting) bikes, get over the hurdle to actually figure out that they enjoy mountain biking? That thread on worst climbing bikes had me reminiscing about my first real mountain bike (a DB Ascent) that I hated which kept me off a mountain bike on a regular basis for almost a good 10 years. I kept thinking about how maybe if I had gotten a Salsa instead (impossible but one can dream about these kinds of scenarios), I could have been hooked way earlier. Especially since I lived in a bunch of areas that were great mtb riding spots.

Anyhow, that's what I was thinking....no offense to CS2 and I'm not insinuating that she's a beginner at all but I got sidetracked. Sorry!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

1993 Hardrock Ultra

Upgraded 1993 Hardrock Ultra...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-imgp2432.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-imgp2433.jpg  

mtbr member

It's an interesting thought though, right? How do beginners who mostly get entry level (and sometimes ill fitting) bikes, get over the hurdle to actually figure out that they enjoy mountain biking? That thread on worst climbing bikes had me reminiscing about my first real mountain bike (a DB Ascent) that I hated which kept me off a mountain bike on a regular basis for almost a good 10 years. I kept thinking about how maybe if I had gotten a Salsa instead (impossible but one can dream about these kinds of scenarios), I could have been hooked way earlier. Especially since I lived in a bunch of areas that were great mtb riding spots.

Anyhow, that's what I was thinking....no offense to CS2 and I'm not insinuating that she's a beginner at all but I got sidetracked. Sorry!
    My first mtb was an 84 Raleigh Elkhorn that handled fairly poorly, but I still loved it and rode it tons. It covered so much ground compared to my BMX bike. I don't know if there's a bad enough bike to keep me from hitting the trails.

gobsmacked Moderator
    It's true, you're more of a man than me. I'm just going to have to concede that point.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by bobman90 View Post
    Upgraded 1993 Hardrock Ultra...
    Slicks on a mountain bike = downgrade.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    It's true, you're more of a man than me. I'm just going to have to concede that point.
    Well then maybe that didn't come out right. I was trying to imagine a really bad bike and if it would keep me off the trails... and I think I could have fun blitzing down trails on most any bike. That said, I'm also an admitted bike snob (when it comes to the old stuff).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My '94 Stumpjumper M2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-063011_-005b.jpg  

CS2
    mtbr member
    Did you part out the bike only to rebuy everything that you sold because of the engraving or you just wanted NOS parts on it?
    Actually, I would have taken nice used parts If I could find them. I just got a deal on a box of 10 derailleurs and the Mountech just happened to be NOS. I probably won't get so lucky on the shifters and other small parts.

No, that's my way of telling her I'm not spending the money on me but her. So far it isn't working.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

CS2
    mtbr member
    So did I, think it's funny that is.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Slicks on a mountain bike = downgrade.
    Maybe but there are those of us that actually like to ride their VRC bikes on the road and trails.

Not a great picture but this is my main bike. It's a much better road bike than my old Rockhopper with Specialized Nimbus tires. But I still have more fun riding the Rockhopper.

I know that crank wasn't stock on a Hardrock. Is it a triple converted to a compact? How about posting some of the details.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    1993 Hardrock Ultra changes
    Crank Deore II FC-MT60
    BB UN73 122.5mm
    Chainring Salsa 34 Vuelta 46 removed Biopace small chainring
    Rear Derailer Deore LX RD-M550
    Front Derailer Deore II FD-M62
    Brake Levers Deore II BL-MT63
    Cantilever Deore DX
    Shifters Deore II thumbshifters
    Specialized aluminum bar and stem
    Profile bar ends
    Selle Italia Turbo seat
    On bike:
    STX hubs and Araya TM-18 rims
    WTB Slickasauras
    Not on Bike:
    Hubs Deore II FH-MT62 HB-MT60
    Rims Araya RM-20
    Richey Megabite tires
    Last edited by bobman90; 07-04-2011 at 08:11 AM.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobman90 View Post
    1993 Hardrock Ultra changes
    Crank Deore II FC-MT60
    BB UN73
    Chainring Salsa 34 Vuelta 46
    Rear Derailer Deore LX RD-M550
    Front Derailer Deore II FD-M62
    Brake Levers Deore II BL-MT63
    Cantilever Deore DX
    Shifters Deore II thumbshifters
    Specialized aluminum bar and stem
    Profile bar ends
    Selle Italia Turbo seat
    On bike:
    STX hubs and Araya TM-18 rims
    WTB Slickasauras
    Not on Bike:
    Hubs Deore II FH-MT62 HB-MT60
    Rims Araya RM-20
    Richey Megabite tires
    I've got the majority of those parts in my parts box right now. Including a 90's vintage Hardrock. Now you've got me thinking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    CS2,
    I don't have enough posts to send a PM to you.
    I edited my second post for your answer.
    Bob

mtbr member
    My 2 resurrected FSRs 94 and 95. I've posted them before but this seems like a good place for another run.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-dsc02280.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-fsr-94-ss-2.jpg  

No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

1988 Stumpjumper

A pink and green (magenta and teal) 1988 stumpjumper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_2398.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here's my '83. Its a good neighborhood cruiser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1312428223.288918.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1312428420.053732.jpg  

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDAAND View Post
    A pink and green (magenta and teal) 1988 stumpjumper
    Nice bike, now I know why Specialized put the lightning bolt graphic on the decals. It covers up the 2 tone paint.

Are you sure it's an 88? I thought all 86 - 88's had a U-Brake.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstruct View Post
    Here's my '83. Its a good neighborhood cruiser.
    Can you get me a picture without the glare? I need a new background picture. Seriously, that is a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

You're right

Not my bike originally, in fact just picked up off craigslist. Looking at the specialized list: http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm I failed to see that magenta & green was offered for 2 years. This bike must be from 1989 when they had canti brakes. Thanks for pointing that out, N

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDAAND View Post
    Not my bike originally, in fact just picked up off craigslist. Looking at the specialized list: http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm I failed to see that magenta & green was offered for 2 years. This bike must be from 1989 when they had canti brakes. Thanks for pointing that out, N
    I remember passing on an 88 left over for a new 89 when I bought my Rockhopper Comp. I paid a little more because I didn't want the U-Brake.

mtbr member
    Here is my current build. 1990 rockhopper with fresh powdercoat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-photo.jpg  

used to be uno-speedo....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

'90 Stumpy

thread deleted from VRC but can be seen here: 1990 Stumpjumper | Retrobike
    Last edited by klasse; 02-13-2012 at 03:41 AM.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by klasse View Post
    thread deleted from VRC but can be seen here: 1990 Stumpjumper | Retrobike
    Saw the thread, why was it deleted? I had a '90 for about a year before I gave it away to charity. Wished I hadn't. Took it to Utah for a few days to ride their for Halloween in 2002 after I broke my leg.

These rode nice, for sure!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Saw the thread, why was it deleted?
    Making a post with a bike and getting people stoked on it...then and low and behold...its for sale! Doesn't fly here.
    -eric-

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Making a post with a bike and getting people stoked on it...then and low and behold...its for sale! Doesn't fly here.
    Thank you, Rumpfy for the clarification. Totally understandable, btw,.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It was not advertised for sale here - but anyway it's no big deal. I'm not trying to get anyone stoked on anything, that's your thinking rather than my intention. good day

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's only a bike boys, No Big Deal! sheez

VRC Illuminati
    It was not advertised for sale here - but anyway it's no big deal. I'm not trying to get anyone stoked on anything, that's your thinking rather than my intention. good day

No, if you'd come right out and said it was for sale, it would have been pulled faster than it did (unless you bought a classified ad). We call it fishing....where you feign pride in your bike, but really its just for sale.
    Not that it matters now, auction is over. You did get a decent number for it though. Not too far off from original retail.

At any rate, just explaining to UJ why your posts were pulled. I know its just bikes and just a bike forum...but somethings are just kinda discouraged. Nothing personal against you I don't think.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No, if you'd come right out and said it was for sale, it would have been pulled faster than it did (unless you bought a classified ad). We call it fishing....where you feign pride in your bike, but really its just for sale.
    Not that it matters now, auction is over. You did get a decent number for it though. Not too far off from original retail.

At any rate, just explaining to UJ why your posts were pulled. I know its just bikes and just a bike forum...but somethings are just kinda discouraged. Nothing personal against you I don't think.
    No feigning or fronting and you can call it what you want - it's your own perception. Interesting that you can't appreciate a bike for what it is w/out regard to $$$$

The dollars and cents are so insignificant.

Anyway, the bike is posted on Retrobike if anyone wants to peek at it. Later

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nothing personal against you I don't think.
    Given your disparaging remark on reteobike regarding the posting of the Stumpy it would appear to this causal observer to be personal............

Certified Bike Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Given your disparaging remark on reteobike regarding the posting of the Stumpy it would appear to this causal observer to be personal............
    link please.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

VRC Illuminati
    No feigning or fronting and you can call it what you want - it's your own perception. Interesting that you can't appreciate a bike for what it is w/out regard to $$$$

The dollars and cents are so insignificant.
    Might just be me, but I have a harder time appreciating a bike that gets posted at the same time its being sold. Its not a money thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    I'd hardly call that disparaging. Everyone is giving props to the guy over a bike that isn't even his anymore. I just find that kinda weird and figured other posters should know.
    When he first posted it here, I was excited to see the bike and gave it the thumbs up.
    Still a cool bike, hope the next owner enjoys it.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Might just be me, but I have a harder time appreciating a bike that gets posted at the same time its being sold. Its not a money thing.

I'd hardly call that disparaging. Everyone is giving props to the guy over a bike that isn't even his anymore. I just find that kinda weird and figured other posters should know.
    When he first posted it here, I was excited to see the bike and gave it the thumbs up.
    Still a cool bike, hope the next owner enjoys it.
    Why do you have a hard time appreciating a bicycle that's being sold? Weird.

Nobody is giving props to me, everybody (except for you) is talking about the bicycle and giving props to the bicycle. Your statement that I 'don't even own the bike anymore" was false at the time you wrote it because the bike had not been paid for yet. It's also irrelevant because nobody cares who owns it - they're just checking out the bike.

There's no conspiracy or hidden motives and nobody got hurt.

You are tripping on air, period.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Saw the thread, why was it deleted? I had a '90 for about a year before I gave it away to charity. Wished I hadn't. Took it to Utah for a few days to ride their for Halloween in 2002 after I broke my leg.

These rode nice, for sure!
    No idea why they deleted it, apparently they believed I was plotting a bike conspiracy

Here is the thread: 1990 Stumpjumper | Retrobike

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

'88 Specialized

This is gonna get bumped to the singlespeed forum...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-hr1.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ff2000 View Post
    This is gonna get bumped to the singlespeed forum...
    not really. looks good to me. I like the paint.

mtbr member
    My '95 A1 and '97 RComp FS Rockhoppers

TrinityRiverKerplunk

'86 Stumpie Sport

Here's another pic I found today of my '86 Stumpie Sport. Location just south of Whistler last summer. Trialsin' onto and off the entrances to the bridge was a blast, U-brake kicked butt and held solid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-yuliya.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is Specialized Hardrock. I'm pretty sure it's a 95 but is this right? I bought this in 2009 and have been riding it all the time since. last year i bought a new full suspension bike for the trails though, so the hardrock stays on pavement now. I ride it at least 3-4 times a week and about 16miles per ride. Love this thing.

The cranks were recalled back in 97' and they recently failed on me...i called shimano and they sent out a bunch of new parts (whole new drivetrain, minus rear deralier and cassette) and paid for the labor at my LBS. All i ended up doing was replacing the rear cassette b/c the new chain was slipping. This thing runs better than ever!

The one thing that i would like to do is add wider bars...any sugestions on this? I know i need to stick with a 25.4mm bar so to use the stock bar clamp.

1995 Specialized Hardrock Ultra
    2010 Jamis Dakar XC Comp

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

My 2 S works

My 1982 Stumpjumper Sport (#M2G29393) which was made in 1982 according to the serial #, but is it a 1983 model? Also, ordered Stumpjumper decals from Velocals last week, I have not seen them or heard from them although I emailed them, is this common for them...has anyone had experience with them.

My repainted(unfortunately) 1988 Stumpjumper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-stumpjumper3.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-stumpjumper.jpg  

Helmetless Crasher
    '95 StumpJumper FS
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    '95 StumpJumper FS

Ovaries on the Outside
    1993 Rockhopper Expert. Suntour is growing on me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_5163.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_5168.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_5169.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just picked up what i believe is a HardRock Cruz 1990?
    It rides true but the rear cassette and crank are a bit rusted, still shifts fairly well...

Frame: 20"
    Wheel size: 26"
    Hubs: front & rear Joytec QuickRelease
    Rear derailleur: Suntour XC

Thought i could fix it up a bit, but apparently suntour doesn't make replacement parts anymore...

since its my first bike in a while I don't want to spend a whole lot fixing up, but is there anything i can do?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have 2 Stumpy's trying to figure out the path to go with them...

1990 Stumpy Comp - all original, next to new
    1995 Stumpy M2 Fully Rigid - running as a single speed right now, traded the drivetrain for ski stuff.

I'd like to upgraded the M2 to a trail bike for riding with my 7yr old.

Any suggestions on what upgrades and with what priority?

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by axehandle44 View Post

I'd like to upgraded the M2 to a trail bike for riding with my 7yr old.

Any suggestions on what upgrades and with what priority?
    I took my '95 M2 out on the trail the other day and was pleasantly surprised at just how competent it still is. The bikes are light and stiff and the geo is quick. Still lots of fun!

Compared to a modern bike, though, the frame is way too stiff/jarring with zero shock/vibration absorption - beats you up pretty quickly. Also the cockpit is too stretched-out w/ low narrow bars. Puts a lot of weight on your hands/wrists and over the front end of the bike - great for climbing/sprinting, bad for fast descents and repeatedly popping over obstacles.

First, I would replace anything that looks like it might fail and leave you stranded in the woods. Basically anything rubber/plastic . . .
    My OE X-Ray shifters were recently replaced because the plastic housings were all cracked to hell (as they are all prone to do) and shifts were getting murky. Of course, fresh tires/tubes are a must. My bike's brake pads are dried-out/old/hard/noisy and need to be replaced/upgraded.

I recently went with a gel saddle, OSI silicone grips and a carbon riser bar for some comfort/relief and more upright riding position. Although I hate the look of riser bars, much better control and comfort. A carbon seatpost would be a nice comfort addition - that will be my next mod.

In terms of performance, some direct-pull canti "V" brakes and a decent 60-70mm suspension fork (if you can find one) help a whole helluva lot.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a mid 90's Stumpjumper that I haven't rode for a long while. Browsing this thread made me reminisce about how much fun I had on that bike. I joined this forum recently to get feedback on buying a new bike, but I think now I'm going to try and rebuild it. Now I just have to source some old parts (7 speed cassette, shifters, etc).

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast