Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Cool! I have that bike's older brother in my garage right now (90 Stumpjumper Epic).

photo steel_epic_side_zps90bb7055.jpg
    Last edited by ameybrook; 06-23-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

1990 Stumpjumper

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_0010.jpg

My 1990 Stumpjumper. Love the way this bike handles. I added XTR V brakes, titanium seat post, Mavic 221 rear wheel with 9 speed cassette and XTR rear derailleur. Still have all of the original parts. I also have a 1988 Stumpjumper Comp that I am keeping all original.

beautiful jackass
    I bought a Stumpjumper Comp off Craigslist a couple weeks back. The seller claimed it as a 1989 but I can't find the exact model in catalogs. Unfortunately I scraped off the decals, which were already in poor shape. They were total Miami Vice style and ugly as all get-out in a bad way.

The paint job is a white pearlescent and it's fully equipped with XT components.

Anyone know what year it could be, or how I can tell? I understand the serial numbers on Specialized don't reveal much.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Most likely an 89. If it has all cantilvers then your good to go. I had one and loved it, wish I hadn't sold it to Internal14 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey View Post
    I bought a Stumpjumper Comp off Craigslist a couple weeks back. The seller claimed it as a 1989 but I can't find the exact model in catalogs. Unfortunately I scraped off the decals, which were already in poor shape. They were total Miami Vice style and ugly as all get-out in a bad way.

The paint job is a white pearlescent and it's fully equipped with XT components.

Anyone know what year it could be, or how I can tell? I understand the serial numbers on Specialized don't reveal much.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If it has rear XT U brakes down beneath the chain stays then it is most likely an 1988. They only had the U brakes in 87 and 88. If there are XT cantis up on the seat stays then it's probably 89. I have a pearl white 88 comp, ride it all the time and love that bike. Nice score.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

1988 Stumpjumper Comp

Official Specialized Picture Thread-photo-2.jpg
    My 1988 Stumpjumper Comp. I was in my early 20's in 1988 and couldn't afford a bike like this back then. I recently found this on Craigslist; pristine, almost never ridden, always garaged and beautiful. It's like a time machine. I couldn't pull the 75 bucks out of my pocket fast enough. Instant sentimental value as soon as I saw it. Perfect size and everything. I'll keep this one for the duration.

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by Konasun View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-2.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	908476
    My 1988 Stumpjumper Comp
    That's the bike I have! I recognize the stickers. You're saying it's an '88 but people above (and other research I've done) indicates that U-brakes came on the '88 models.

artistic...
    Specialized never built a full titanium bike. Neither Trek or Cannondale... Raleigh did and mostb of the medium/ small guys like Kona did. Even Raleigh..
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey View Post
    That's the bike I have! I recognize the stickers. You're saying it's an '88 but people above (and other research I've done) indicates that U-brakes came on the '88 models.
    The rear U brakes are right down there under the chain stays. They all came with cantis up front. Other than the fact that the rear U brakes are prone to get clogged with mud, they are great brakes with awesome stopping power.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Specialized never built a full titanium bike. Neither Trek or Cannondale... Raleigh did and mostb of the medium/ small guys like Kona did. Even Raleigh..
    Interesting. I wonder why? Volume of manufacturing? ROI? Cannondale isn't surprising since aluminum was their thing, but Specialized and Trek experimented with lots of materials...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

1984 Stumpjumper - Original Owner

I got my 1984 Stumpjumper back on the road. I am the original owner and I bought this bike in Huntington Beach, CA at Two Wheeled Transit Authority. Bombed down a lot of hills out in Orange County.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_1641.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

1984 Stumpjumper - Original Owner

I got my 1984 Stumpjumper back on the road. I am the original owner and I bought this bike in Huntington Beach, CA at Two Wheeled Transit Authority. Bombed down a lot of hills out in Orange County. The only major mod I did to the bike is putting Biopace chainrings on her. These days, the bike fairs better than I do on the trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_1641.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

1993 S-Works M2

I picked this up on Saturday. It's incredibly clean and everything works, even the forks hold air. Full XTR with Ringle goodies to boot. I have the original stem and bars, plus the PD-M747 pedals. I just put my spare parts on so I can ride it. It's a 21.5" and I'm only 6'.

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_0218.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_0219.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_0221.jpg

I posted this on the What's it worth forum, but I think it should be here too.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Bought this 83' Stumpjumper Sport, new....still have it....mostly used for visitors to ride around town when here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-fscn0259.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I don't think I've post this bike here.

Post race picture after a hard day's work of placing first on a rain soaked trail. My prize was a set of 29'r tires - - apparently no one wins races on 26'rs anymore.

Stokeless Asshat
    Hell yes!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blilrat View Post
    I don't think I've post this bike here.

Post race picture after a hard day's work of placing first on a rain soaked trail. My prize was a set of 29'r tires - - apparently no one wins races on 26'rs anymore.

Congratulations. Sell the tires and put the money towards another vintage ride.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    And on flat pedals???!!!!

You animal.
    Now With Avatar!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    XCIIs and Five Tens. My favorite combo. Even ran XCIIs on my modernish Motolite.

mtbr member
    1998 Stumpjumper Comp
    Official Specialized Picture Thread-img-20140723-wa0004.jpg
    Official Specialized Picture Thread-img-20140722-wa0015.jpg
    Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_20140723_140546742.jpg
    Last edited by azille; 07-23-2014 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Vintage frame w/ modern components

Brought it back from the dead. Bought this almost 20 years ago, and it is just as much fun as it was back then. Maybe more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-photo-9.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-photo-8.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-photo-3.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-photo-6.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-photo-14.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-photo-1.jpg  

Stokeless Asshat
    I bet that's a rocket SS. Good looker too.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Newbie here, I apologize now for this stupid question. I did search before I asked this,lol.

Old Rockhopper 88-92 from what my research has turned up, but I have no idea how to upload a pic?

Was also wanting a little help identifying the year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok, think I figured this out

My old Rockhopper, can't remember what year I bought this, but I did narrow it down with some research. Looks Like 1990? Bought it new, but middle age, and CRS disease has limited my memory to about 3 yrs.

Bought new, and just started riding again after 20 yrs of retirement. How did I ever walk away from such a sport. Raced some as an amateur back in the late 80's and early 90's. Built a few bikes on my own, then ran out and bought this baby from the lbs. Loved it, and I think since pulling it out of retirement I love it more!

A big thanx to my pop for hanging on to it while I tried to figure out my life. Still working on that, but I do remember I loved riding and glad to be back!!
    Hope I got the upload correct.

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_1243.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_1232.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_1233.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_1213.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_1239.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_1236.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_1238.jpgOfficial Specialized Picture Thread-img_1240.jpg

mtbr member
    Just picked this one up today. Found it on my local craigslist and couldn't pass it up for the price. I'll be upgrading it a bit - mainly putting on a new saddle, handlebars, and some new gearing down the road (the original are not awful, but need to be replaced soon enough).

I think it's a 95' model. Anyone know for sure?

Official Specialized Picture Thread-95-spec.-2.jpg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-95-spec..jpg

Took it out for a 7.5 mile cruise tonight and had a pretty numb butt and slightly sore hands, but I'll fix that with some tweaks here and there. Otherwise, it rides like a dream!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast