Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    blilrat,

Awesome looking Stumpy FSR! After selling the MB-1 to my niece, I 're-inherited' my old Stumpy FSR back from her, and I'm wondering what I should do with it... perhaps as a spare for the S-Works? Also playing with the possibility of retrofitting a more modern shock to the rear end, if I can get the spacing worked out.
    Last edited by oldskoolwrench; 06-03-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: misspellt tha OP's name... I yam such a stoopid!

mtbr member
    Added an Origin8 adjustable air seat post and. WTB saddle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Classic StumpJumper

Here is my 1983 Stumpjumper Sport....all original except for the tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-image.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ah sweet...I sold a lot of those! Wish I had one now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

83 Stumpjumper Sport.

This bike is all original except for the tires!! I would have never guessed that I would like a bike this much but the geometry and the Bi-plane fork just make for an amazing ride!! Like Buttah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-image.jpeg  

Last edited by knichols; 06-29-2013 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    So, I'm rebuilding a Rockhopper for a buddy....pretty gunked up and filthy, but seems to be intact except the front Rockshox doesn't move at all...
    Not sure of the year, it's a Rockhopper FS on the downstays it says A1 Comp - it's a silver color
    Is there way to tell by the serial number? M5GI59830

-bustin punks
    Alrighty - just got this one rideable for the weekend (see my "Two Stumpjumpers for one low price" thread):

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Obviously something here is non-period correct. And I will pull the other boot off when I get around to changing the brake cable. The current one worked fine, so I left it alone.
    Untitled

Untitled

Paint is totally beat-up and rusty and the components have a lot of umm, "patina" but function well (love this old XT stuff). The old XT brake pads are cool (and hardly worn) but I ordered a set of Kool Stops.

This bike supposedly came with a 12-28 rear cassette, but I received it with a 14-32 (shown). I replaced the chain and pulled the stock XT BB and replaced it with a newer UN-55.

That paint is SO cool. How I wish the previous (and original) owner had shown a little sympathy for the bike and not left it outside so much. Argh. Anyway, looking forward to riding this thing - I love how elegant and yet aggressive these things look.

-bustin punks
    Wow, is it sacrilege to say that I like this bike more than my old Fat Chance Wicked? Because I think I might. It's certainly not a lesser rig. Responsive. Steers well, and dayumn smooth.

I put 80 minutes on it tonight. $150 well spent.

mtbr member
    Great bike. I don't think the paint is that bad. I just picked up an old Rockhopper Comp which is way, way worse.

マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post

Official Specialized Picture Thread-9264209140_482672691d_b.jpg

... Obviously something here is non-period correct. And I will pull the other boot off when I get around to changing the brake cable. The current one worked fine, so I left it alone.
    Actually, at one time Deore XT SLR brake levers came with rubber hoods!

Only for a couple years, though...

-bustin punks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench View Post
    Actually, at one time Deore XT SLR brake levers came with rubber hoods!

Only for a couple years, though...

No, the bike came with both hoods (on the BL-M733 levers), but they don't seem to stay on very well, and I think they look clunky. I just pulled the front one off when I ran a new brake cable.

mtbr member
    Since we are in a 91 Stumpjumper Comp lovin' mode, I thought I'd contribute! Acquired a few years ago as a family cruising around the neighborhood towing a trailer steed and slowly getting her back to spec. The frame is at about a 7+ and the original XT components were at a 8/9 out of 10. Added a newish Turbo saddle, XT seatpost and new cables/housing throughout and she has cleaned up quite nicely to say the least. Only issue is it came with the Anti Gravity front shock, which works OK but not ideal. I would love to replace it with an original direct drive OG fork... Someday, I will find one (hint, hint)
    Official Specialized Picture Thread-stumpy-07-12-13.jpg

-bustin punks
    Found a period-correct handlebar at the local mom-n-pop tandem bike shop on Friday night that I might be able to live with...and something I always wanted back in the day (settled for a knock-off Zoom Brahma bar back then).

Untitled

We'll see how long it lasts under 165lbs of fury........snap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    Since we are in a 91 Stumpjumper Comp lovin' mode, I thought I'd contribute! Acquired a few years ago as a family cruising around the neighborhood towing a trailer steed and slowly getting her back to spec. The frame is at about a 7+ and the original XT components were at a 8/9 out of 10. Added a newish Turbo saddle, XT seatpost and new cables/housing throughout and she has cleaned up quite nicely to say the least. Only issue is it came with the Anti Gravity front shock, which works OK but not ideal. I would love to replace it with an original direct drive OG fork... Someday, I will find one (hint, hint)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stumpy 07-12-13.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	815474
    How long of steer tube, & necessary thread length do you need? There is a " DD " fork at the local, co-op . I think they want $5-10.00.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    How long of steer tube, & necessary thread length do you need? There is a " DD " fork at the local, co-op . I think they want $5-10.00.
    Size large frame. Will need approx 6 inches of steer tube with around 3/4 - 1 inch of threads.
    10.00 bucks is cheap!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hey all...

looking for saddle suggestion for 85/86 stumpjumper sport?

trying to keep things as close to original as possible but not ocd about it

thanx for your suggestions...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch View Post
    hey all...

looking for saddle suggestion for 85/86 stumpjumper sport?

trying to keep things as close to original as possible but not ocd about it

thanx for your suggestions...
    Nice bikes, does your's have a U-brake in the rear?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Nice bikes, does your's have a U-brake in the rear?
    no, mine's got cantis...i think they started using u-brakes on rear in '87(?)

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    1986 was the year they started using U-brakes, at least on the Stumpy Sport model. Mine has 'em.

In 1987 all models with the exception of the StreetStomper and maybe the HR had U-brakes, same goes for '88.

no, mine's got cantis...i think they started using u-brakes on rear in '87(?)
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    are you the guy who also has an orange stumpy sport?

is it possible that they changed during the year? my orange sport has a rear canti. as much as i would like it to be an '85 (after all, a year older, right?), i just checked the mombat speshy specs page & now its got me convinced that mine is an '86. not to mention, if i am reading it right, the chart does not show any u-brake on anything previous to '87?

there's a guy not too far from me selling a white sj comp, all xt, with a rear u-brake. i was trying to figure out what year & if i could be...errr...addicted(?) enough to buy it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    So, I'm rebuilding a Rockhopper for a buddy....pretty gunked up and filthy, but seems to be intact except the front Rockshox doesn't move at all...
    Not sure of the year, it's a Rockhopper FS on the downstays it says A1 Comp - it's a silver color
    Is there way to tell by the serial number? M5GI59830
    Pictures would be quite helpful.. Otherwise, most of the catalogs are online. Look in the mid 90's.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    No, I think you are thinking of Stumpy83, if that is the right handle name I have.

May be possible, I am not sure. Just know that my black 86 Sport has U's underneath it.

As for the white SJ Comp, that would be an 88. I had one, and it's only bike I ever let get stolen. Ride great but a tad slower handling than the Team version. I also had an 89 SJ Comp, but it was all canti's.

If you don't want the 88 Comp, how much does he want cuz I may be interested too.

are you the guy who also has an orange stumpy sport?

is it possible that they changed during the year? my orange sport has a rear canti. as much as i would like it to be an '85 (after all, a year older, right?), i just checked the mombat speshy specs page & now its got me convinced that mine is an '86. not to mention, if i am reading it right, the chart does not show any u-brake on anything previous to '87?

there's a guy not too far from me selling a white sj comp, all xt, with a rear u-brake. i was trying to figure out what year & if i could be...errr...addicted(?) enough to buy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    No, I think you are thinking of Stumpy83, if that is the right handle name I have.

May be possible, I am not sure. Just know that my black 86 Sport has U's underneath it.

As for the white SJ Comp, that would be an 88. I had one, and it's only bike I ever let get stolen. Ride great but a tad slower handling than the Team version. I also had an 89 SJ Comp, but it was all canti's.

If you don't want the 88 Comp, how much does he want cuz I may be interested too.
    thank god i've come to my senses & am continuing on simplifying my life so am passing on this bike.

unfortunately, where i live anybody who has a bike over a few yrs old thinks it is a rarity. this guy's bike is in nice shape, but he is pretty firm about wanting $250 for it...

unicrown junkie - what do you think?

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Holy Cow! That thing looks pretty good after 25 years. Even looks to have original bar/stem combo which we all took off and put a IRD on instead.

thank god i've come to my senses & am continuing on simplifying my life so am passing on this bike.

unfortunately, where i live anybody who has a bike over a few yrs old thinks it is a rarity. this guy's bike is in nice shape, but he is pretty firm about wanting $250 for it...

unicrown junkie - what do you think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So many sweet bikes here!

My old 1985 (?) RockHopper earned by volunteering at the local bike co-op:Official Specialized Picture Thread-9508427234_2088cdc017_z.jpg

In its full commuter form:Official Specialized Picture Thread-9508427354_b77142f85d_z.jpg

My dad's Street Stomper hybrid:Official Specialized Picture Thread-9508427436_59a8cec1d2_z.jpg

and a too-large-for-me Hardrock that has since been sold:Official Specialized Picture Thread-9508427508_cb1df5983a_z.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_2873.jpg  

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast