Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hi all...

here's my weekend garage sale find:

the old guy i got this bike from had quite an interesting & heartwrenching story about it & as a speshy fanboy since my mid-90's purple rockhopper, thru an m2 & m4 stumpy up to my present day several year old epic...even tho i was not convinced about its legitimacy - for the tiny purchase price, how could i not go for it? best part is that when i "test rode" it, damn thing worked purdy damn good.

shows how much i knew

after a days research... looks to me that outside of a few bits of bastardization, apparently this bike is pretty dam real, & not more than 4-5 years from the beginning?

was gonna start a new thread asking for help figuring out what to do with it in the general c&v forum but last time i visited here that didn't work out so well so i am hoping specy guys will be more...helpful?

i can't decide what to do with my new baby? is it worth trying to get it back close to original as a "collectible"? or i could just clean it up a bit for a grocery getter, neighborhood cruiser, critical mass slow-rider? fenders & racks commuter? or semi-off-road tourer? or would i be committing a bike crime to singlespeed it?

mtbr member
    If'n you want a SS, buy a frame and go from there. IMO, it seems a bit ass backwards to take that bike and turn it into a cruiser that it already is. Me? Tune it up and get rid of those godawful bar ends.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Agreed with the earlier poster, dump the bar ends! Great looking bike, just like my '86 Sport. Though this one may be an '85?

Leave it fully geared, and ride it off-road or as a town bike. Making it into SS is a waste, IMO. Last, I am very envious, would love to havce this one!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Though this one may be an '85?
    MOMBAT's going with 1986

Specialized Specs

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Thanks, Silver King! Now I want it even more since I have the black 86 version at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    MOMBAT's going with 1986

Specialized Specs
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Well...pester markaitch about it. He doesn't know what to do with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    awww...Silver King & unicrown junkie, you don't like the barends ?

yeah, me neither. when i get to work on this thing taking those off will be job 1. right now all i've done since i got it home is spray some pb blaster to work on loosening up the stuck seatpost & pedals. besides the stuck seatpost, seat, & grips, best as i can tell this bike is pretty original, so i am leaning to try keeping it that way when i do get time to spend with it.

i was going along with MOMBAT's spec sheet that shows orange is an '86 color too, but while researching i've run into a few intrwebz posts & pics where guys claimed their orange sports were 1985. both years have about the same parts list & the color for '85 is not noted by MOMBAT, so who knows? until i can figure out how to use the serial # for dating, i won't worry too much about it.

but since you do have a similar bike, unicrown junkie, maybe you can help me with something?

the handlebar is very wide & flat with some sweep, & is marked specialized on the "shim"...do you think it is oe?

thanx for any help...

マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    1985 Stumpy's were still using a semi sloping fork crown. The Unicrown fork started with the 1986 model year; same style as the pink Team Stumpy.

The bars may be OEM; does it list a model # on the shim, like "X1+2" or similar?

Don't bastardize it to make a SS... keep it as is, and make a grocery getter out of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    [QUOTE=oldskoolwrench;10329155]1985 Stumpy's were still using a semi sloping fork crown. The Unicrown fork started with the 1986 model year; same style as the pink Team Stumpy.

I beg to differ. Stumpys went to the unicrown fork on the 1985 model. I have one. Prior to that it was the biplane fork.

CS2
    mtbr member
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by 83stumpjumper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench View Post
    1985 Stumpy's were still using a semi sloping fork crown. The Unicrown fork started with the 1986 model year; same style as the pink Team Stumpy.
    I beg to differ. Stumpys went to the unicrown fork on the 1985 model. I have one. Prior to that it was the biplane fork.
    85 was the year they changed the geometry and used the new fork. It's really not a big deal though.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^^ Barends are cool on 90's era bikes, but no so much in the 80's.
    Official Specialized Picture Thread-dsc03804.jpg

The Brutally Handsome
    Finished my 'Crosshopper', it's an '89 Rockhopper Comp with 700c wheels and Challenge Fangos. Not high on the prestige scale but very fun to ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-rh.jpg  

bikespotter
    Got myself an 88 rockhopper comp a week or so ago, pretty original too, new grips and tyres added as the old ones were shot.

no chainslap at all so i have added some carbon fablon to prevent any chips and popped a nice turbo saddle on top

this will be my new works/pub bike since its such a comfy ride.

enjoy

Wanted -girvin cranks, tubular steel - not the standard alloy ones

CS2
    mtbr member
    Tune it up and get rid of those godawful bar ends.
    Agreed, other than that it really is a nice bike.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    well i made the mistake of letting my son get hold of this thing. he fell in love with it & took me till yesterday to get it back. whoda thunk a youngster whose been crazy for huge travel am bikes would go for a bike like this? so i finally got a chance to fool around with it...

If'n you want a SS, buy a frame and go from there. IMO, it seems a bit ass backwards to take that bike and turn it into a cruiser that it already is. Me? Tune it up and get rid of those godawful bar ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Agreed, other than that it really is a nice bike.
    ok, ok...barends gone...

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench View Post
    ...The bars may be OEM; does it list a model # on the shim, like "X1+2" or similar?...

above is a pic of the "shim". fwiw...when i changed the grips - the bar was marked x3 on one end along with some marks i couldn't decipher.

at the moment, i am over the bars. would very much like to know if they are oem but will live with them for the time being. now i am very curious about the seatpost...

however, before going on & on & on looking for info & suggestions about my stumpy - i guess i should ask whether this 'post your specy pic' thread is the right place for me to to be looking for info/help for it?

thanx in advance for your...uh...input?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Picture threads are more "show off your babies" threads. It would be great if you start a new thread and keep everything contained within it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    Finished my 'Crosshopper', it's an '89 Rockhopper Comp with 700c wheels and Challenge Fangos. Not high on the prestige scale but very fun to ride!
    How did you get the 700's to fit?

slower than you

Deja Tu tandem

This is our tandem. Official Specialized Picture Thread-0511131027.jpg

We've owned it since 1997, but it's of a slightly older vintage than that, I think. I've written a bit about it on my blog: RockyChrysler.com: Just about a bike [Specialized Deja Tu tandem]
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just brought home a 1991 Stumpy Comp. Starting off wrenching by wanting to raise up the seat so I could mount it on the stand. Loosen the clamp, start to wiggle the seat side to side.....good, it wiggles free. NOT!!

Seatpost had a crack running it down it, and the seat was spinning within the post. I pull the seat out and see that someone had jerry rigged the seat clamp by grinding it down and shoving it into the post. uhhohh.

That post is welded in there right now....a serious case of the frozen post.

boooooo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1992 Rockhopper Sport. CL purchase, bigtime nostalgia for me as my first real bike was a '92 hopper in seafoam/teal green with purple script. Loved that bike and ripped up some Indiana trails with it. This one came to me in great shape with most of a suntour x1 group. I bought a CL donor bike with a partial Deore DX group ('89, '90 date codes) and built it up, rebuilt the wheels on the DX hubs, front radial . Fenders and bars are Soma. Rides dreamy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That's a hot looking red ride! Great mix of the red and black!

Team Brooklyn
    Finally got around to "XC-Pro-ing" my Epic (carbon tubes, steel lugs). Still have to repla ce headset with GG Suntour XC Pro and put a proper front brake cable hanger but pretty much "there".

Some of the Spesh family:

Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Here's a couple I haven't posted here,

'91 M2 Pro in Purple Haze, all Suntour XC Pro

'92 S-Works Epic (steel lugs) All Suntour XP Pro but have since went to '92 XTR group. This bike shares #1 spot for best rider
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

Team Brooklyn
    Have to agree - they got it 100% right with the Epic. GREAT ride.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Threw some too good to be ridden XTR parts on the FSR yesterday for some pictures. Normally this bike has some hard working, trail experienced XT parts.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast