Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Loey View Post
    Just bought this. I'm a newbie with Stumpjumpers and have had trouble determining the year. The bullmoose bars, biplane fork and over BB cable guides don't seem to go with the vertical dropouts. I've never seen this paint job either. Came with a 26.8 XC Pro post.
    1982 Specialized Stumpjumper Looks like this one excluding the paint.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by cyb View Post
    Gosh, really stunning bike
    ever wanted one of these

cyb
    Thanks

Some day I might have a smidgen of the photographic artistic skill of some of the folk here and post pictures that actually do the bikes justice.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Team Brooklyn
    Damn it gets dark early ...

Still cleaning up from the aftermath of Sandy. Have electricity as of this morning and thankfully heat- as the temperatures dipped to the low 40s today. 7 days without either was a bit much.

After dismantling the 10'x10' shed that flew over our six foot high fence from a neighbor's yard, repairing some damage and moving 40 bags of top soil I used to build a berm across the garage door to prevent flood waters from entering, I got to work finishing off the S-Works Ultimate Ned Overend Final Edition.

Very special thanks to Ameybrook for the grey Prolong S Ti saddle and for the real-deal, from the man himself Ned Overend bar ends.

I took it for quick ride in the waning light and it felt oh-so-sweet. Hugi rear hub woke up the neighbors About the only thing that might make it even more impressive is if I build up a tension disc with on that hub. In fact, I think I'll do exactly that.

Better pictures (well, within the limits of my admittedly limited photographic skills) when I have the opportunity but here it is as completed and ridden this evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-ultimate-right-quarter.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-ultimate-side.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-ultimate-front-quarter.jpg  

artistic...
    drooool.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Nice old Stumpjumper!

From last weekends ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-dsc_0091-640x428-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here's my latest, 1984 Stumpjumper SC. All original components with the exception of the tires. Frame is in great shape with a few scratches.
    That's a great 1984 Stumpjumper in the photo above mine! That was the best year for the Stumpjumpers! They went away from the biplane fork and flared chain stays on the 1985 model. [IMG][/IMG]

PSE
    mtbr member
    my 93 Rockhopper FS, with Kinesis fork and some other bits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-2012-11-04-12.15.jpg  

Team Brooklyn
    Recent acquisition out for its first ride. Haven't yet changed a single component.

Interesting crown on the Rock Shox - the inner top radius of the hole for the stanchions has a ridge preventing the stanchions from sliding up in them. I have about 8 - 9 pair of RS with a host of different crowns and never saw that before.

Here it is - don't be harsh on the mish-mash of stuff on it - changes are in its future

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Recent acquisition out for its first ride. Haven't yet changed a single component.

Interesting crown on the Rock Shox - the inner top radius of the hole for the stanchions has a ridge preventing the stanchions from sliding up in them. I have about 8 - 9 pair of RS with a host of different crowns and never saw that before.

Here it is - don't be harsh on the mish-mash of stuff on it - changes are in its future
    I dig it!

Gettin back on the saddle
    My wife's M2 with carbon FSX. Got it as a frame & fork and built it up with parts on hand. Certainly not correct, but she enjoys it.

My first real MTB was a 88 Rockhopper Comp. I wish I still had that bike. I had completely respec'd the bike the only stock thing left was the frame. It rode like a dream but was a touch small. I traded it to a friend who gave it to his son and so the story goes.

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_1117.jpg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_1158.jpg
    Last edited by shaddow44; 11-19-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    1998 Cannondale CAD3 w/ Judy SL

Wanted: Older (93-94) Yeti Arc 18",
    Answer AccuTrax fork 1" threaded

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

rockhopper

Here is the current configuration of my rockhopper. These are so much fun to ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-20121023_203715.jpg  

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e46junkie View Post
    Here is the current configuration of my rockhopper. These are so much fun to ride!
    Very nice Rockhopper. What year is it?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks... I have been told its a 92 or 93.

mtbr member

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Good for you, drummerboy. You've come a long way.

mtbr member
    Thank you GOAB. She's heavy, and she's mine, but I love her... kinda like my wife.

Stokeless Asshat
    S-Works steel? Anybody have one to show off?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Snow Day!

Last edited by Stumpjunkie; 11-28-2012 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What's in the photo above my post is a true vintage, classic mountain bike! Some folks here need to take note of that! The bike that launched a new sport to the masses! That's a 1982 Stumpjumper, kids. Gentlemen, please remove your hats (or helmets) when looking at that photo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 83stumpjumper View Post
    What's in the photo above my post is a true vintage, classic mountain bike! Some folks here need to take note of that! The bike that launched a new sport to the masses! That's a 1982 Stumpjumper, kids. Gentlemen, please remove your hats (or helmets) when looking at that photo!
    Mr. Sinyard? Is that you?

It's the first, overseas knock-off of the real deal. My hat's staying on.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    S-Works steel? Anybody have one to show off?
    I have that steel '91 Stumpjumper Team in post 258 above and a '91 Epic (steel lugs, carbon tubes) but ino S-Works steel bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The custom MTB's were first, no argument there. However, it was limited to a handful of riders, mostly in the Nor. Cal region. Nobody else knew about it. It was the Stumpjumper that brought the sport to the public, that's what makes the SJ the king of the VRC bikes, in my opinion. Sinyard had a vision and took a gamble and it paid off for him, and millions of mountain bikers today.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    The custom MTB's were first, no argument there. However, it was limited to a handful of riders, mostly in the Nor. Cal region. Nobody else knew about it. It was the Stumpjumper that brought the sport to the public, that's what makes the SJ the king of the VRC bikes, in my opinion. Sinyard had a vision and took a gamble and it paid off for him, and millions of mountain bikers today.
    If having a vision means seeing an opportunity to make money by copying somebody else's design and producing it en masse is visionary then yes, he had a vision. Mountain biking was going to get big eventually, with our without Sinyard. People were making them all over, not just norcal. Somebody with deeper pockets was eventually going to capitalize on it.

I'm more impressed that Sinyard has managed to stay on top of the industry rather than fold or get bought out by some newer, bigger company. Specialized has been known to sue the pants off people or small companies that got in their way. That kind of business practice just doesn't make me want to go out a give them my money.

Don't get me wrong, I like the old Specialized Stumpjumpers. They are great bikes that not only belong here but are integral to history of mountain biking. I just don't go to the Church of Sinyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Mr. Sinyard? Is that you?
    hahaha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Lets not forget that any of the companies that sell things related to biking are in it for the money. That's the point of being in business, isn't it? So Specialized shouldn't be demonized for practicing good capitalism. If it wasn't Specialized, some other company would have picked up on MTB's and been the first to mass market them. It just so happens that Specialized was the first. A year after, several bike companies were turning out their versions. Specialized wasn't a big name in the industry prior to putting the Stumpjumper out there. They were mostly known for tires, if I remember correctly. It was the Ritcheys, and Fishers that got the sport started with custom bikes, and nobody can take that away from them. I just think Specialized should be recognized as the company that opened the sport up to the masses. While I consider myself a loyal customer of Specialized, I do think that they have over extended themselves in the amout of bikes they have available now. I've owned 7 Specialized bikes over the last 28 years, and they've all been good to me. That's the only company I'd buy a bike from at this point. Are they better then the other companies bikes? No. I just like what they offer and the styling. Lets face it, when you start spending the big money for bikes, they're all about the same in the end. At that point it comes down to a few component differences and color options. To each his own. Enjoy what ever bike you ride!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    If having a vision means seeing an opportunity to make money by copying somebody else's design and producing it en masse is visionary then yes, he had a vision. Mountain biking was going to get big eventually, with our without Sinyard. People were making them all over, not just norcal. Somebody with deeper pockets was eventually going to capitalize on it.

I'm more impressed that Sinyard has managed to stay on top of the industry rather than fold or get bought out by some newer, bigger company. Specialized has been known to sue the pants off people or small companies that got in their way. That kind of business practice just doesn't make me want to go out a give them my money.

Don't get me wrong, I like the old Specialized Stumpjumpers. They are great bikes that not only belong here but are integral to history of mountain biking. I just don't go to the Church of Sinyard.

hahaha.
    Did you read the Steve Jobs bio? Their stories sound similar. I wonder if Sinyard's ego is as big as Job's?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast