Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    mtbr member
    Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

It's been a while (busy trying to get stronger with my 29er single speed), but I got to ride it this past weekend.

Just as fun as ever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Official Specialized Picture Thread

Just picked this fresh Miami vice Stumpjumper up. Previous owner says it's an 1988.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    1987-1988 Specialized StreetStomper
    seat and tires not original

Official Specialized Picture Thread-1986-1988_specialized_streetstomper_1_.jpg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-1986-1988_specialized_streetstomper_12_.jpg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-1986-1988_specialized_streetstomper_9_.jpg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-1986-1988_specialized_streetstomper_8_.jpg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-1986-1988_specialized_streetstomper_5_.jpg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-1986-1988_specialized_streetstomper_7_.jpg
    I build bike wheels! Anything you want! PM for info.

My Photos http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/748766

gobsmacked Moderator
    Bike doesn't really fit ya!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post

Love how far forward the saddle is.

Does NOT know it all!
    I bought this 1996 Stumpjumper M2FS Comp new and gave it to my son a couple of years ago. He has put over 1,000 miles riding it on Mt Tam since he's owned it.

Official Specialized Picture Thread-image.jpeg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-image.jpg

gobsmacked Moderator
    Cute kid!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Sidewinder View Post
    Love how far forward the saddle is.
    The problem isn't the location of the seat, but how far back the post is. Just because I have long legs doesn't mean I need my ass lined up with the rear axle. The bike has been sold for something with a better post angle.

I swear I'm gonna have to start lowering the seats 3" for pictures.

Does NOT know it all!
    Cute kid!
    His uncle came over last week and showed him the car he is going to give him a great deal on for his 16th birthday - look at that smile on his face.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    The problem isn't the location of the seat, but how far back the post is. Just because I have long legs doesn't mean I need my ass lined up with the rear axle. The bike has been sold for something with a better post angle.

I swear I'm gonna have to start lowering the seats 3" for pictures.
    Everyone is different. I've ridden a number of '82-'86 vintage Stumpjumpers and never had any issues dialing them in. Did you still have enough post left in the frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    His uncle came over last week and showed him the car he is going to give him a great deal on for his 16th birthday - look at that smile on his face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	1064153
    A 16 year old with a Vette, what could possibly go wrong?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, but it's been replaced by this SixFifty Tomah, which is perfect for me.
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/27-...0160411-9-.jpg

taste death, live life.
    That Vette is Steve Sanders approved!

Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	1064153

Does NOT know it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by super_stein View Post
    That Vette is Steve Sanders approved!
    I think it's a 1991 or '92 - and he may even get it as a gift - his uncle has money.

Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    A 16 year old with a Vette, what could possibly go wrong?
    I know that sounds crazy - but he is a real level headed kid - straight A's too. He loves to power his bike up the hills, but he takes it pretty easy on the way down - he's not a speed freak like I was. I wouldn't let him get it if I didn't feel he wouldn't be safe in it - and it's only got a 350 in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Disc brake adaptor and MRP link
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

1989 Team

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_5747.jpg 1989 Stumpjumper Team. (according to specs I just looked up) Wish I would have taken pic before I traded out bars. Now she's a comfort cruiser.

Official Specialized Picture Thread-8079679432_959279f30a_b.jpg nabbed this pic of a '88 from doctor-bond 's post on 10-12-2012. Matching paint. Mine has the biopace gears, not the browning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    just picked this up, its either a '95 or '96, has a tange headset which bikepedia lists for '96 but also takes the 34.9 front derailleur which is listed for '95.....oh well, gathering parts at the moment to build her up......Official Specialized Picture Thread-specialized-m2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Just picked up this old Rockhopper on CL. I watch it sit there for almost a month before biting. Ended up talking his down 1/3rd of his asking price and got it for a steal at $20! Lol. In reality I just love the color and paint job. But it will be a fun bike to ride around the neighborhood and hit the local park trails with the GF. Toughest part so far is finding a front derailleur with a clamp small enough to fit...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolc View Post
    Toughest part so far is finding a front derailleur with a clamp small enough to fit...
    Get a 31.8 clamp derailleur and a shim.

taste death, live life.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolc View Post
    Just picked up this old Rockhopper on CL. I watch it sit there for almost a month before biting. Ended up talking his down 1/3rd of his asking price and got it for a steal at $20! Lol. In reality I just love the color and paint job. But it will be a fun bike to ride around the neighborhood and hit the local park trails with the GF. Toughest part so far is finding a front derailleur with a clamp small enough to fit...

I have that same bike in that color scheme. It rides surprising well. It's a 1992.
    I have a 1-1/8 FD that may work. I just have to check the pull direction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    that will work, but if it's a 28.6 he should be able to locate one on the bay, is it top or bottom pull[most likely bottom?] my older hardrock is a bottom pull , and then decide on to match current gruppo or?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I matter of factly do have a 31.8 FD Shimano LX with bottom pull I took off my 1995 Proflex 855 Im parting out and selling. I might give that a try until I find one on the List of Craig. Any good ideas for a shim to ghetto rig the larger clamp size temporarily? Also thank you Super_Stein! Im glad to hear it rides well, I cant wait to get it out on the local trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You can buy premade shims but you can make one out of aluminum cans or plastic bottles that you probably have around the house.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

My Find today

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_2308.jpgFound this on CL. Not sure what year but possibly 1989?
    Almost all original but seat, pedals and tires. Previous owner put the seat post on backwards. Took it for a spin and Iím really diggin this thing.
    Last edited by bp101; 10-17-2016 at 12:24 AM.

mtbr member
    I believe those graphics are 89

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thatís what I thought but they didnít put it in the only catalog I could find for 89. Although there is a 1989 Stumpjumper that has the identical paint scheme.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Updated Pictures

Updated pictures. Loving this great bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_2319.jpg  

Official Specialized Picture Thread-img_2320.jpg  

Last edited by bp101; 10-19-2016 at 12:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    my wifes unkown year hardrock
    I redid the whole bike. it was left in her parents back yard for 15 years in the arizona sun...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

1983 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport XT

Just brought this one home today and I'm super excited. I think it's an '83 going by the serial numbers M3M and comparing with MOMBAT serials. Though I could be wrong. Either way, happy to have it. I'll remove the reflectors and maybe the plastic cassette guard, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I just got this in the garage 20 minutes ago. Picked it up from a local CL ad and was shocked it was still available after 21 days being listed in the Twin Cities (HOT market). I *think* it's a 1992 Stumpjumper, not sure if it's a base, comp or whatever but it has full Deore LX brakes and drivetrain and came with all original components, as far as I can tell, other than the saddle, grips, tires and rear hub. I've only been able to find one other picture of a stumpjumper in this pale metallic green color.

Anyway, it rides so nice I can't believe it! It's the first old steel framed ridged I've ever ridden and it's 19"-20" frame and geo feels perfect. I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it yet but I'm hoping to replace the BB, crank, and cassette to make it a 1x9 (if the rear hub allows me to otherwise a 1x7) and try to fit a set of BR-T780 XT V-Brakes on the bike. New saddle, grips and possibly some nice light HED wheels if I want to go all out. Basically I want to build it almost exactly like I did my 96 m2 comp

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I had the exact same bike! Loved that bike. Got hit by a Car on it. Now have a 93. Ride it 100 miles a week mostly off road trails around Tucson. Considering a new bike but just put some 2.35 tires on made a big difference. I might just keep on riding the old one.

VRC Illuminati
    While the Specialized thread is fresh, here's a fun little project I just finished.

1990 Stumpjumper Epic.
    Belonged to a 97 year old man (son was selling it), so you can imagine that even when brand new 26 years ago, it wasn't being ridden very hard.
    These are the best kind of bikes to find. Originally sold out of a shop in SF, set up for comfort, covered in a layer of dust/grease, but otherwise all original.
    Strip it down, clean/regrease all the parts. Flush or replace housing, sand/replace pads, new cables, new chain, new grips.
    Just had to source the correct bar and stem, everything else I had laying around. To say this bike is clean is an understatement.

Official Specialized Picture Thread-epicbefore.jpg

Official Specialized Picture Thread-epicafter.jpg
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Very nice Eric, love those finds that just require a little elbow grease spare time and spare parts. Refreshed and ready for the next 25 years...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Super clean find! I bet you got a smoking deal on it too

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by shamobius View Post
    Very nice Eric, love those finds that just require a little elbow grease spare time and spare parts. Refreshed and ready for the next 25 years...
    Yep! Those are fun when you can make a big difference in a short time. The long tailed projects are satisfying too.

Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    Super clean find! I bet you got a smoking deal on it too
    The amount of bike you get for the money, I think so. It's part of the neat thing about vintage mtb. If you're diligent, you can get a lot of bike for well under $500 bucks.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Yep! Those are fun when you can make a big difference in a short time. The long tailed projects are satisfying too.

The amount of bike you get for the money, I think so. It's part of the neat thing about vintage mtb. If you're diligent, you can get a lot of bike for well under $500 bucks.
    Definitely. I just picked up a 95% original '89 stumpy and a 75% original '93 stumpy, Tange Prestige tubing, both for about $400. Last year I picked up a '96 stumpy m2 fs comp for a little over $100 with full XT.

The local market is usually pretty hot too so I feel like I got pretty good deals.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    chick magnet

Stokeless Asshat
    No doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    chick magnet
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I just picked one of these up a few weeks ago, not as clean on the paint and the rear ri, brakes and rear der is not stock though. Should I try and replace with stock, or do a period correct upgrades resto. I really want to ride it, and it will need paint or powder coat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just finished a complete rebuild of my 89 Stumpjumper. The only original parts other than the frame & fork are the headset and I think seatpost.

The Mavic X221 wheelset with LX and Grease Guard hubs were take offs from a early 2000s Specialized Epic right after it was bought. Saddle is a take off from a Rockhopper from the early 2000s, stem and bars of a different vintage stumpy I picked up earlier this year, Shimano LX cranks I had sitting in the parts bin.

Brand new parts are a full 1x10 Shimano SLX drivetrain (11-36 cassette, Shadow rear derailleur, 10spd rear shift lever), Shimano XT R780 brake levers, Shimano XT T780 brake calipers, Shimano SM70 BB, Blackburn Chicane bottle cage, Shimano Saint pedals and a 32t Race Face NW sprocket up front.

I did this build very similar to my 96 Stumpjumper FS M2 Comp that was finished this past spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Changes

That's very cool! What's involved in changing to the 1x10 setup? And do the new brakes work that much better than originals?

Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    Just finished a complete rebuild of my 89 Stumpjumper. The only original parts other than the frame & fork are the headset and I think seatpost.

The Mavic X221 wheelset with LX and Grease Guard hubs were take offs from a early 2000s Specialized Epic right after it was bought. Saddle is a take off from a Rockhopper from the early 2000s, stem and bars of a different vintage stumpy I picked up earlier this year, Shimano LX cranks I had sitting in the parts bin.

Brand new parts are a full 1x10 Shimano SLX drivetrain (11-36 cassette, Shadow rear derailleur, 10spd rear shift lever), Shimano XT R780 brake levers, Shimano XT T780 brake calipers, Shimano SM70 BB, Blackburn Chicane bottle cage, Shimano Saint pedals and a 32t Race Face NW sprocket up front.

I did this build very similar to my 96 Stumpjumper FS M2 Comp that was finished this past spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have the same forks on my 93 Stumpjumper, mine still hold air also,and have never been rebuilt. I guess they don't make them like they use to.

QUOTE=phattruth;11338119]I picked this up on Saturday. It's incredibly clean and everything works, even the forks hold air. Full XTR with Ringle goodies to boot. I have the original stem and bars, plus the PD-M747 pedals. I just put my spare parts on so I can ride it. It's a 21.5" and I'm only 6'.

Attachment 909795Attachment 909797Attachment 909802

I posted this on the What's it worth forum, but I think it should be here too.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherf View Post
    That's very cool! What's involved in changing to the 1x10 setup? And do the new brakes work that much better than originals?
    The XT T780 v brakes are 10x better than any cantilever brake I've used. They're all I use for rim brakes.

Going from a 7 speed rear to 9/10 can be tricky but as long as the rear dropouts are wide enough it's not usually a problem. I thought I was going to have to bend the frame wider in the rear to fit the 9/10 speed wheel but it fit just fine. If you need to widen or "cold set" a steel frame to fit a modern wheel watch this video https://youtu.be/YdibmxBuMy0 ,he has some great info on bike rebuilds. Otherwise it's really simple, I bought a set of wheels with a 9/10/11 freehub, bought the correct BB, crank and cassette then just choose your shift package (I usually use XT but always hear people say SLX is just as good for 75% of the price so I decided to try it).

This is the 3rd vintage Stumpjumper I've modernized with a 1x10 setup. The vintage purists hate it but I'm not really a collector and I love the 1x drivetrain (or maybe I just hate front derailuers lol) and v brakes are so much better than the cantis I've tried.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Disks

I was going to post a question, but I see you have added disk brakes to a vintage bike. What is involved to make the switch. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Fox View Post
    Awesome Matt!

I had one of those too, found it under the house, have converted it to an ss now. Some pics before and after:

Before:

After:

I was going to start a new thread but I ss that you have added disks to your vintage bike. What is involved in making the switch to disks. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I ended up parting out the XTR and Ringle bits and rebuilding the rest for a friend of mine who's a bit taller. It's still going strong and gets ridden almost every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherf View Post
    I have the same forks on my 93 Stumpjumper, mine still hold air also,and have never been rebuilt. I guess they don't make them like they use to.

QUOTE=phattruth;11338119]I picked this up on Saturday. It's incredibly clean and everything works, even the forks hold air. Full XTR with Ringle goodies to boot. I have the original stem and bars, plus the PD-M747 pedals. I just put my spare parts on so I can ride it. It's a 21.5" and I'm only 6'.

Attachment 909795Attachment 909797Attachment 909802

I posted this on the What's it worth forum, but I think it should be here too.
    [/QUOTE]
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I ride with my seat about the same height because of knee replacement on my left leg and my knee not bending like it's supposed to. I would prefer the seat lower but it won't work for me. But at least I'm still riding.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011