Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    VRC Illuminati

Official Slingshot Bikes Thread

I had to do it. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm a big Slingshot fan. I'm not sure how many others there are on MTBR, but now would be a good time to show off your stuff.

My 1993 Slingshot before restoration:

And after a resto and repaint done by Rick Stefani of D+D Cycles West.

Holdin' it down for the disciples of flex!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    Slingshot Team. 1 of 18 made for the 1992 race season. It had full Suntour XC Pro drive train (which I disliked.)

The most important thing left being the frame. They take up less space in the apt. this way...
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati

Titanium Slingshot

Does anyone know where to find (or has seen in person) a Titanium Slingshot?
    I'd take a half or full Ti...I know they were made for a short while c. 93/94....I'd love to own one. Any leads or info would be great.
    -eric-

resident crackpot

Nice Slingshots Rumpfy

I've never ridden one, but a local wrench has one that he converted to road to beat up on the local roadies with. I personally think it's a waste, but definitely a unique bike. I've always wanted to ride one though.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by loonyOne
    I've never ridden one, but a local wrench has one that he converted to road to beat up on the local roadies with. I personally think it's a waste, but definitely a unique bike. I've always wanted to ride one though.

An MTB frame he converted to road? Hmm...
    So, uh...do you think he'd be willing to sell it?
    -eric-

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Here's mine (gone now)...

Harmonius Wrench

Bonking ... not feelin' well NOT an MTB frame

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    An MTB frame he converted to road? Hmm...
    So, uh...do you think he'd be willing to sell it?

I know this bike and it's keeper. It is set up as a tri bike and has tri geometry. 650c Slingshot Road. Sorry to burst the bubble!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I know this bike and it's keeper. It is set up as a tri bike and has tri geometry. 650c Slingshot Road. Sorry to burst the bubble!
    Bummer. Well, the search continues...
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Here's mine (gone now)...
    Aosty, why'd you sell? Looks like a larger frame size...
    -eric-

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    You know my friend that lives in the same town as me?? Are you sure? What shop does he work at? Tell me his name if you do know. I know that he told me it was an MTB. I was really good friends with one of his old roommates quite a few years ago...it was definitely an MTB that was used on the dirt then. Enlighten me.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Is Slingshot from Grand Rapids, MI or thereabouts? It seems like I see an awful lot of them (considering how few ride them overall) when I'm back home in MI.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    Is Slingshot from Grand Rapids, MI or thereabouts? It seems like I see an awful lot of them (considering how few ride them overall) when I'm back home in MI.
    Aye...Grand Rapids born and built. I'm sure that has something to do with their numbers out there. Don't see too many of them on the west coast!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Slingshot Team. 1 of 18 made for the 1992 race season. It had full Suntour XC Pro drive train (which I disliked.)
    Just curious, what didn't you like about the XC Pro drivetrain? I've only ridden the old Suntour road stuff, Superbe Pro II. Far as I'm concerned, that was top-of-the-line stuff compared to anything else on the market at the time for roadie gear.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

mtbr member

Slings Hot

Had a spare moment to do a bit in the overhead today and got a picture of my 17" 89' Shot. The paintjob is a custom "Nuclear Lizard" done by Grove Innovations when the bike was new. When I put it back it in the upper storage which is about 1/2 dark after having it out for only a bit it was glowing like crazy!

There is a unicrown fork and Flex Stem in the stash that are painted to match but apparently in its last incarnation it was sporting the IRD suspension fork. I think my older son was the last to ride this bike about 5 or 6 years ago....

This is a shot of the back of a T Shirt that the Groendahls had made up to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Sling Shot back in 93'.

And here is the front which give a nice little pictorial history of the development of the frame up to the age of the ones pictured above.

The first Sling Shot was a BMX bike actually. PeeWee Groendahl broke the frame on his BMXer and Mark his older brother grafted a piece of Hexcel ski to the break to fix it and the rest as they say is history! The one labled 83' in the T-shirt was wheeled through the aisles of the Atlantic City version of Interbike in that year.
    Last edited by Bigwheel; 01-24-2004 at 02:05 PM. Reason: needed to lighten up one of the pix..
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    Just curious, what didn't you like about the XC Pro drivetrain? I've only ridden the old Suntour road stuff, Superbe Pro II. Far as I'm concerned, that was top-of-the-line stuff compared to anything else on the market at the time for roadie gear.
    Well, for the most part it was good. Good feel, light weight (for it's age), grease guard stuff worked well.
    But...unless your drive train was in perfect tune, I felt that I ended up with a lot of ghost shifting. It was a bit tempermental to dial in and didn't allow for a gread deal of slop.
    I know some people are anti-Shimano, but I almost never have any problems with any of it. Parts are easy to find, a lot of it is compatable. Even the 'floating' der. pullies allow for your drive train to be off a bit and still shift through the gears. You know....because we ride our vintage rigs so hard and all...
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Had a spare moment to do a bit in the overhead today and got a picture of my 17" 89' Shot. The paintjob is a custom "Nuclear Lizard" done by Grove Innovations when the bike was new. When I put it back it in the upper storage which is a....
    one labled 83' in the T-shirt was wheeled through the aisles of the Atlantic City version of Interbike in that year.
    Bob, that post made my day!
    -eric-

mtbr member

Shot Shots

The link to these pics are in another thread but thought it worthwhile to post it here in the "Official" thread.

This is a bike that was made for a female client. It is pretty amazing that for one thing you had a bike painted pink but that you could also get pink toe clips, bottle cage, hand grips and lever covers and spoke covers to match in those days! It was an 89 model year and was the inspiration for the bike frame pictured above that I built up for my wife a little while after.

This frame was an 87/88' as it had the spring in the top tube. This bike ended up in the hands of a hot junior racer and he did rather well on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bigwheel; 01-25-2004 at 12:04 PM.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Westpine Neutron hubs!!! You lucky *******!

mountaingoatcycles.com

Wanted: older Slingshot info

We have been trying to put together some info for our web site about the older Slingshots. If anyone has any literature that they would sell, loan or copy please let me know. We would also like to find an example of the earlier frame styles for the "museum". Thanks
    jeff@firstflightbikes.com
    www.firstflightbikes.com

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Aosty, why'd you sell? Looks like a larger frame size...
    I needed cash.

As for the size, it was semi-custom... 18" with the 20" boom tube (~24" toptube)... or something like that.