Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Does anyone know where to find (or has seen in person) a Titanium Slingshot?
    I'd take a half or full Ti...I know they were made for a short while c. 93/94....I'd love to own one. Any leads or info would be great.
    I have no idea where to find one but I did see one in person at Wild Rose Bike Shop in Salt Lake City back in the early 90's when it was made. Maybe somebody there could give you a lead.

mtbr member
    I haven't heard too many stories of Slingshots breaking.

What year frame and when/how did you break yours? I'm curious.
    I just realized I was wrong about my first SlingShot. It was actually just like the one in the "end of the trail" picture. The frame with 'slingshot' all spelled out in big block letters. Exact same color scheme too.

'Calm Down'
    I've seen a few that the lower cable attachment failed at the bottom bracket, but seat tube failures where the most common breakages prior to 1995. In 1995 they went to a large diameter seat tube and ovalized it where it met the BB shell. Prior to that, they used a flat plate welded into the "standard" size seat tube. I believe they actually drilled a few holes in the seat tube and "spot" tig welded it from the outside. If you look close at your seat tubes, you'll see the welds on either side of the seat tube starting about 2/3 of the way down.

jw

BTW - I've had a 1991, 1994, and a 1995 Slingshot. (Photo is of the 1995 and you can just make out the seat tube BB junction.)

Quote Originally Posted by moblsv
    I broke two welds, found both after one long day of riding. The weld where the top tube meets the head tube was cracked. the other was inside the seat tube. there's a piece of metal welded in there and the welds had broken on it so it was vibrating and making a nasty noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GrumpyOne; 05-08-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Does anyone know where to find (or has seen in person) a Titanium Slingshot?
    I'd take a half or full Ti...I know they were made for a short while c. 93/94....I'd love to own one. Any leads or info would be great.
    Here's one in MBA Feb '92 - nice!:

Cable tension on a '94 Slingshot

Hi

I have a question about the cable tension on a '94 Slingshot. To what extent is the nut above the spring adjustable and if it is, what's the 'range' of coil compression from soft to stiff? How slack is too slack?

I ask because I've just finished a restoration on my '94 Slingshot. I'll post some pics soon. I used the cable, coil and clip from my other frame - also a '94 (serial numbers quite close) and exactly the same size.

Although the two cables are the same length I was mildly surprised to observe minor differences between the two in the crimping at both the bottom bracket end and the spring end. When attaching the cable to the new bike I noticed that less frame compression was required to fasten it to the fitting under the head tube than was required with this cable on the other frame.

Not sure how others do this but I turn the Sling upside down and lean on the b/b, pulling the fork towards me, which compresses the frame a little - about a cm - allowing you to slide the pin through.

I reasoned that because there was less compression required to fasten the cable the coil and board will flex more, giving a softer ride. The other bike needed more compression (though not much more - maybe 5mm) to attach the cable and, presumably, returned a firmer ride since the coil was already compressed a bit more.

I thought this was interesting and it made me wonder about the adjustability. It's not something I've heard mentioned, the ability to 'tune' the ride by fiddling with this.

Any thoughts?
    -62phatcat-
    phatcat@canberrahouse.com

mtbr member

Slingshot, BIKE Juni91 (German)

Positive review. Brief conclusion: Downhill the wheels are better attached to the ground, nevertheless the greatest advantage of the Slingshot design is not comfort. The Slingshot provides smoother traction (the article is saying it works like a modern of traction control system) and gives energy in return at a point that benefits optimal 360 pedalling (energy return system).
    Last edited by Elevation12,000; 06-04-2005 at 01:00 PM.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation12,000
    [IMG]
    Positive review. Brief conclusion: Downhill the wheels are better attached to the ground, nevertheless the greatest advantage of the Slingshot design is not comfort. The Slingshot provides smoother traction (the article is saying it works like a modern of traction control system) and gives energy in return at a point that benefits optimal 360 pedalling (energy return system).
    Cool review Mel! I don't have that year frame yet...
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Me neither... I am even wondering whether there will be one in the country. Never saw one.

Great to hear you liked it. I will post Slingshot content whenever I stumble upon it in newly acquired vintage mags.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

mtbr member
    The above review is already gone. All pics and mag scans I ever posted are gone! Fortunately I saved them all on my computer. I made new hyperlinks and all mag scans can again be viewed on FatCogs.

I post the Slingshot review again:

Slingshot, BIKE Juni91

Last edited by Elevation12,000; 06-11-2005 at 03:57 AM.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just picked-up a 95 Slingshot off of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...163808545&rd=1

I am not typically one for impulse buying,(Well ok, maybe sometimes!) but the bike looked pretty clean, and the fork pushed me over the edge! I have wanted a Slingshot for a while, and look forward to owning and riding one. What kind of decals did the 95 vintage bikes have? Any feedback is appreciated.

Seems like I remember reading that certain types of Boom-tube decals are still available through Slingshotbikes(I think from one of your posts on FirstFlight Eric). I have been trying to call Slingshot over the past couple of days but they are kind of tough to catch in. Guess thats to be expected with small botique bike manufacturers. Need to email them tomorrow I suppose.

Thanks for starting this thread Eric, and thanks to all that have contributed with great info and excellent pictures of their bikes!

Jeff

bike geek
    Keeping this tread alive. Found it after this thread on the 29er board today got me looking into the history of board breakage on Slingshots. Seems like there are a good number of old 26ers still running strong, can whatever extra forces poster 'number2' mentions that big wheels put on the board really be that bad?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have just had a search through my old mags and found a 1994 copy of mtb pro.
    It has a review of a MT4 sling shot.
    Anyone want it?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Noserider
    I have just had a search through my old mags and found a 1994 copy of mtb pro.
    It has a review of a MT4 sling shot.
    Anyone want it?

I do!

Check your PM's.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No PMs yet.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    Keeping this tread alive. Found it after this thread on the 29er board today got me looking into the history of board breakage on Slingshots. Seems like there are a good number of old 26ers still running strong, can whatever extra forces poster 'number2' mentions that big wheels put on the board really be that bad?
    I am not sure what "extra forces" he could be talking about either. AFAIK the flex board location does not vary much with any frame size. The bottom of the head tube on the Big Shot may be a little higher than a 26" frame.

I am not going to worry about it and just ride my B'Shot.

number2's post has the feel of sour grapes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    No sour grapes just hard facts. I feel I have the responsability to let the buyers know what their getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by number2
    No sour grapes just hard facts. I feel I have the responsability to let the buyers know what their getting into.
    Then give us the full story and some one else that can back it up. this looks like a small part of one side of the story. Information without conformation can not be taken as fact.

We have no idea you who are.

Rumors are easy to start.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Then give us the full story and some one else that can back it up. this looks like a small part of one side of the story. Information without conformation can not be taken as fact.

We have no idea you who are.

Rumors are easy to start.
    I have been involved with slingshot in some way for about 10 years, the last involvment was a partnership in the company. I was also the poduct manager and part of the new "design team" that made the 29" frame. I am not going to give out names on this forum, you can use my information anyway you want or not.
    The reason the newer frames have a quicker failure rate is : 1 the rear triangle stiffness was increased by using lighter and larger OD stays with ritchey dropouts combined with 2 a stiffer boom tube with a 1.125 head tube and a hand built fork combined with 3 a board material that was not able to withstand the extra force generated by the above. In or around 1998 the "scotchply" material design was sold to another company(SCICOM) and was being developed for other uses. Slingshot started using the new product when they started to cnc machine the board box for there frames, while this did not present a problem at the time because they did not change there tubing specs. The reason the older frames last longer: original Scotchply board and smaller OD tubing and 1" head tubes and possibly the old box shape?
    Rather than try to fix the problem with a new board material the current owners desided to make it fixable by a shop or the owner( you can not do it with a steel frame without alot of tooling and some of the old board material etc ).
    I am 5' 7 and weigh 180 lb and was able to make a board fail in 6 mo. on a 26" SS and 3mo. on a 29" SS
    This was under normal riding conditions, similar failure rates were had by several local riders.
    All riders were on SS frames, some were folding 26" all the 29" were non folding.
    The new design is being made in china and is aluminum. I Don't know much more than what I've seen in a few interbike pics. The prototypes were built in the US and were raced by some of their factory team. That is all.

bike geek
    I have been involved with slingshot in some way for about 10 years, the last involvment was a partnership in the company. I was also the poduct manager and part of the new "design team" that made the 29" frame. I am not going to give out names on this forum, you can use my information anyway you want or not.
    I talked to Scott at Slingshot this morning. He said he knows who you are, but would not say. He and his product manager are working on a response to your post, which they'll send to me, and I will post here once I get it. I need to know the full story.

I have been involved with slingshot in some way for about 10 years, the last involvment was a partnership in the company...
    I am 5' 7 and weigh 180 lb and was able to make a board fail in 6 mo. on a 26" SS and 3mo. on a 29" SS
    This was under normal riding conditions, similar failure rates were had by several local riders.
    All riders were on SS frames, some were folding 26" all the 29" were non folding.
    The new design is being made in china and is aluminum. I Don't know much more than what I've seen in a few interbike pics. The prototypes were built in the US and were raced by some of their factory team. That is all.
    Interesting. And reserving judgement.

Your story has changed a bit. On the 29er board you implied the problem was specific to, and because of, the 29er design. Not a change in tubing sizes. Not a change in the board material. No mention of general design issues regardless of wheel size.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Interesting. And reserving judgement.

Your story has changed a bit. On the 29er board you implied the problem was specific to, and because of, the 29er design. Not a change in tubing sizes. Not a change in the board material. No mention of general design issues regardless of wheel size.
    That is not what I was implying,and I'm sorry it looked that way. The problem is worse with the 29'' frame than 26" and the SS set up was worse than the geared. I think you are taking me the wrong way here, I'm not trying to degrade the slingshot name or the 29'' wheel, I'm just letting you know what I have known for a few years. I have been riding 29" wheels exclusivly for the last 3 years and am a devout fan. I also own several slingshots and still think the design has alot going for it. I do not ride a slingshot mtb any longer but I still enjoy it in road bike form.

That is not what I was implying,and I'm sorry it looked that way. The problem is worse with the 29'' frame than 26" and the SS set up was worse than the geared. I think you are taking me the wrong way here, I'm not trying to degrade the slingshot name or the 29'' wheel, I'm just letting you know what I have known for a few years. I have been riding 29" wheels exclusivly for the last 3 years and am a devout fan. I also own several slingshots and still think the design has alot going for it. I do not ride a slingshot mtb any longer but I still enjoy it in road bike form.
    Honestly, I appreciate your input. I just like knowing where it is coming from.

Do you know if/where I can get a softer spring for my BS?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Honestly, I appreciate your input. I just like knowing where it is coming from.

Do you know if/where I can get a softer spring for my BS?
    The springs on slingshots are a stock die spring that can be had at any die supply house. I don't recall the wieght of the stock spring but if you take it with you they can tell the size. Die springs change in OD and length when the load changes so I'm not sure a softer spring will fit.

mtbr member

CF "Slingshot"

Anyone else see the Slingshot-style carbon bike? It's a home-made job. Photos from the Weight Weenies site.

Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just started watching this forumn. I dig it! I am so tired of the techno weenies. I have been riding a Slingshot Boom tube bike since the fall of 92. No pics right now, I am building a new house and it is packed away with the rest of my herd in sotorage.

Mine is the 93 Team Yellow version in a 17" long. I also have a mod that I have never seen. A Pro-Action downtube. I sold Slingshots back then and got to try this new deal. It really made the bike a blast on steep technical downhills.

I will try to get pics shot soon.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast