Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 743
  1. #51
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546

    Not exactly Slingshot's finest hour...

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  2. #52
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546

    The only time I've ever seen a full titanium Slingshot

    Would be nice to own one of these....

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  3. #53
    Let me ask my wife
    Reputation: HoSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    356
    Thanks for the scan, that's the first I've seen that frame. 3.5lbs blow me away. Here are some pics of my bike for the thread. I thought the last pic turned out pretty cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HoSS; 01-31-2005 at 08:02 AM. Reason: xxxxx
    WTB: Syncros 31.8 seatpost
    Syncros threadless 1"x120 or 130mm stem
    Syncros cranks 180mm preferred

  4. #54
    Powered by Pulvoron
    Reputation: dirt diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    288
    Rumpfy,
    or others.. anyone price out scotchplate replacement for the older slingshots ?
    i emailed Slingshot and my quote was more affordable to buy a newer frame, due to the older plates are more time consuming to replace.. any comments ?

    Thanks
    dirt diggler
    Last edited by Rumpfy; 01-31-2005 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Spelled my name wrong :)

  5. #55
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt diggler
    Rumpfy,
    or others.. anyone price out scotchplate replacement for the older slingshots ?
    i emailed Slingshot and my quote was more affordable to buy a newer frame, due to the older plates are more time consuming to replace.. any comments ?

    Thanks
    dirt diggler
    The website quotes $300 for board and paint....what did they quote you over the phone?!

    New frames are over $1000....there's no way they can quote that much for it.
    If they tell you it's a grand for you to keep your Slingshot running, tell them you'll just switch to another bike company. That's bullsh!t!

    What's your reason for wanting to replace the board? Is it broken?
    I've yet to have a Slingshot where I felt the board needs replacement...
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  6. #56
    Powered by Pulvoron
    Reputation: dirt diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    288
    at the time Mark W of slingshot was quoted (2001) it was 110.00 to reboard, 40.00 for paint and 65.00 for cable replacement (if needed).

    now with new ownership 500 with paint, new hardware and machined flexplate to fit older models. because of heating the epoxy off the frame would damage the paint, so paint is included.

    dirt diggler

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lukeduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    224

    not vintage, just a little retro

    just built this up a few months ago, finally snapped a pic the other day when i put it in the classifieds. rides exceptionally well, just not the bike for where the job is transferring me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,775

    My Travel Bike...

    Awesome riding bike... thinking of converting into a SS...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #59
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Awesome riding bike... thinking of converting into a SS...
    Sling's do very well as an SS. If you go that way...you'll like it plenty.

    Get out and ride with Laffeux, since he moved away, he hasn't been able to look at my Slingshots...
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cyclodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    107

    anyone see this?


  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    38

    finally found one!

    Hi,

    have been looking for a Slingshot for a few months "only" and found one in immaculate shape in a small town bike shop in Southern Germany.
    They have hardly ridden the bike, rather used it as an "eye catcher".
    So, the thing had a few rusty bolts - that's all.

    Removed the original LX / STX parts and threw some nicer stuff at the frame... now it's hanging in my shed, waiting for a few more parts and we should be hitting the trails shortly.
    Great to have a new toy for the upcoming summer!
    cheers from Prague, Czech Republic,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #62
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    Hi,

    have been looking for a Slingshot for a few months "only" and found one in immaculate shape in a small town bike shop in Southern Germany.
    They have hardly ridden the bike, rather used it as an "eye catcher".
    So, the thing had a few rusty bolts - that's all.

    Removed the original LX / STX parts and threw some nicer stuff at the frame... now it's hanging in my shed, waiting for a few more parts and we should be hitting the trails shortly.
    Great to have a new toy for the upcoming summer!
    cheers from Prague, Czech Republic,
    Nick
    Nice find!
    Wow...it looks like it's in clean shape too, for an oldie!
    With the coil down by the BB...you're looking at a 1991 model.

    Enjoy and keep us posted with pics when the build is done.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  13. #63
    Down South Yooper
    Reputation: Plum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,011

    SSing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Sling's do very well as an SS. If you go that way...you'll like it plenty.

    Get out and ride with Laffeux, since he moved away, he hasn't been able to look at my Slingshots...

    If you do SS it, it might be worth looking into an EBB for the frame, rather than track dropouts. When I had mine converted to TDO's, there was very little clearance for decent sized tires (anything bigger than 1.95's). An EBB would be OK, you just have to have a eyelet on the BB for the cable attachment. Might cause problems with cable length due to the bigger size of the EBB shell.

    Or, just do an ENO and forget about it. There's argueably no better frame for SSing than a slingshot. Loved mine. Too bad my tastes are fickle.


    Plum

  14. #64
    Schipperkes are cool.
    Reputation: banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,118
    For some weird reason that I have not yet come to grips with it; I am wanting a Bigshot--29" wheel'd unit. Leave it rigid in the front and fly..........
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    38

    the one and only Slingshot in Prague...

    hi there,

    found some time to put my 1991 Slingshot together. Still not final, am looking for a brake set for the front wheel, the Manitou Comp 4 is still stuck in customs and need some skinwall Panaracers.
    Neither is the seat post final.

    But, the thing's already got a Marinovative Decelerator in the rear. Cool thing.
    The Real Design levers a bit too flexy, while the XT long rd works fine.
    Anyway, love this bike!

    oldman
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Elevation12,000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    676
    Very nice. Think Prague has a new tourist attraction.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

  17. #67
    whoa
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    45
    I bought a Slingshot Road Frame from 87-89 i think. The condition of the frame is not as bad as it looks, but cable, spring, and so on are lost. I hope i can get a replacement set from Slingshot. If i get this one on the road again i'll post some new pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #68
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Quote Originally Posted by whoarrior
    I bought a Slingshot Road Frame from 87-89 i think. The condition of the frame is not as bad as it looks, but cable, spring, and so on are lost. I hope i can get a replacement set from Slingshot. If i get this one on the road again i'll post some new pics.
    The problem I think you'll find, is that the cable and coil set up for that frame is very different from what Slingshot now uses.
    You can try, but I doubt they have any replacement parts that date back that far...wish they did.

    I can also say that emailing their customer service isn't all that quick at getting back to you. They're more interested in the current line up of frames...

    Cool bike though! Love those really old one's!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  19. #69
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Here's my oldest.
    88/89 frame.
    It's more beat up than it looks...

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    38

    upgraded Prague's one and only Slingshot

    hi,

    finally received all parts (some got stuck in customs...) and managed to throw them at my bike.
    Pulled the threaded headset off and added a threadless one.
    Took the original Slingshot forks off (they are for sale... ...148mm steerer with 40mm thread), as well as the stem and the Real Design levers.
    Now I have got a Manitou Comp with Eglund kit and a Synros stem.
    And, managed to find an IRD Widget; run them with Kookas now.
    Have ridden the bike on some serious trails and can't get enough of it!
    oldman
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #71
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    hi,

    finally received all parts (some got stuck in customs...) and managed to throw them at my bike.
    Pulled the threaded headset off and added a threadless one.
    Took the original Slingshot forks off (they are for sale... ...148mm steerer with 40mm thread), as well as the stem and the Real Design levers.
    Now I have got a Manitou Comp with Eglund kit and a Synros stem.
    And, managed to find an IRD Widget; run them with Kookas now.
    Have ridden the bike on some serious trails and can't get enough of it!
    oldman

    IMHO...don't sell the fork.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moblsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    21

    My 91 SlingShot

    This is my second SlingShot. The first was replaced under warrantee when I broke the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #73
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Quote Originally Posted by moblsv
    This is my second SlingShot. The first was replaced under warrantee when I broke the frame.
    I haven't heard too many stories of Slingshots breaking.

    What year frame and when/how did you break yours? I'm curious.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  24. #74
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Current pic of my 93 Slingshot.
    If you must know, the chain rings are from Moonhead Machine.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moblsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I haven't heard too many stories of Slingshots breaking.

    What year frame and when/how did you break yours? I'm curious.
    I think the original frame was also the '91, if I remember correctly. Actually, I'm not entirely sure I remember the year correctly on this frame, I seem to remember it was a '91. It was the identical color scheme to the one in your second post that says "1 of 18 made for the 1992 race season".

    I broke two welds, found both after one long day of riding. The weld where the top tube meets the head tube was cracked. the other was inside the seat tube. there's a piece of metal welded in there and the welds had broken on it so it was vibrating and making a nasty noise.

    This frame I have now I have never been happy with. I was told it was the last one they had in that year and it turned out it was actually somewhat defective, I should have made an issue of it but I guess it's too late now. I have to use a spacer on the bottom bracket so the crank arm doesn't hit the frame and the chain still hits the frame when I have the chain on the smallest gear in the rear.

    Do you know if Martin Stenger posts here? I noticed a couple pictures of him from back in the day. He may not even remember me but we somewhat knew each other when we went to school at the University of Utah and he used to lap me at the local races. Last I heard a friend we have in common told me he was in Mammoth.

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moblsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Does anyone know where to find (or has seen in person) a Titanium Slingshot?
    I'd take a half or full Ti...I know they were made for a short while c. 93/94....I'd love to own one. Any leads or info would be great.
    I have no idea where to find one but I did see one in person at Wild Rose Bike Shop in Salt Lake City back in the early 90's when it was made. Maybe somebody there could give you a lead.

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moblsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I haven't heard too many stories of Slingshots breaking.

    What year frame and when/how did you break yours? I'm curious.
    I just realized I was wrong about my first SlingShot. It was actually just like the one in the "end of the trail" picture. The frame with 'slingshot' all spelled out in big block letters. Exact same color scheme too.

  28. #78
    'Calm Down'
    Reputation: GrumpyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    845
    I've seen a few that the lower cable attachment failed at the bottom bracket, but seat tube failures where the most common breakages prior to 1995. In 1995 they went to a large diameter seat tube and ovalized it where it met the BB shell. Prior to that, they used a flat plate welded into the "standard" size seat tube. I believe they actually drilled a few holes in the seat tube and "spot" tig welded it from the outside. If you look close at your seat tubes, you'll see the welds on either side of the seat tube starting about 2/3 of the way down.

    jw

    BTW - I've had a 1991, 1994, and a 1995 Slingshot. (Photo is of the 1995 and you can just make out the seat tube BB junction.)


    Quote Originally Posted by moblsv
    I broke two welds, found both after one long day of riding. The weld where the top tube meets the head tube was cracked. the other was inside the seat tube. there's a piece of metal welded in there and the welds had broken on it so it was vibrating and making a nasty noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GrumpyOne; 05-08-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    -

    "And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sylvain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Does anyone know where to find (or has seen in person) a Titanium Slingshot?
    I'd take a half or full Ti...I know they were made for a short while c. 93/94....I'd love to own one. Any leads or info would be great.
    Here's one in MBA Feb '92 - nice!:


  30. #80
    Member
    Reputation: 62phatcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4

    Cable tension on a '94 Slingshot

    Hi

    I have a question about the cable tension on a '94 Slingshot. To what extent is the nut above the spring adjustable and if it is, what's the 'range' of coil compression from soft to stiff? How slack is too slack?

    I ask because I've just finished a restoration on my '94 Slingshot. I'll post some pics soon. I used the cable, coil and clip from my other frame - also a '94 (serial numbers quite close) and exactly the same size.

    Although the two cables are the same length I was mildly surprised to observe minor differences between the two in the crimping at both the bottom bracket end and the spring end. When attaching the cable to the new bike I noticed that less frame compression was required to fasten it to the fitting under the head tube than was required with this cable on the other frame.

    Not sure how others do this but I turn the Sling upside down and lean on the b/b, pulling the fork towards me, which compresses the frame a little - about a cm - allowing you to slide the pin through.

    I reasoned that because there was less compression required to fasten the cable the coil and board will flex more, giving a softer ride. The other bike needed more compression (though not much more - maybe 5mm) to attach the cable and, presumably, returned a firmer ride since the coil was already compressed a bit more.

    I thought this was interesting and it made me wonder about the adjustability. It's not something I've heard mentioned, the ability to 'tune' the ride by fiddling with this.

    Any thoughts?
    -62phatcat-
    phatcat@canberrahouse.com

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Elevation12,000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    676

    Slingshot, BIKE Juni91 (German)


    2
    3
    4

    Positive review. Brief conclusion: Downhill the wheels are better attached to the ground, nevertheless the greatest advantage of the Slingshot design is not comfort. The Slingshot provides smoother traction (the article is saying it works like a modern of traction control system) and gives energy in return at a point that benefits optimal 360 pedalling (energy return system).
    Last edited by Elevation12,000; 06-04-2005 at 01:00 PM.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

  32. #82
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation12,000
    [IMG]
    Positive review. Brief conclusion: Downhill the wheels are better attached to the ground, nevertheless the greatest advantage of the Slingshot design is not comfort. The Slingshot provides smoother traction (the article is saying it works like a modern of traction control system) and gives energy in return at a point that benefits optimal 360 pedalling (energy return system).
    Cool review Mel! I don't have that year frame yet...
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Elevation12,000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    676
    Me neither... I am even wondering whether there will be one in the country. Never saw one.

    Great to hear you liked it. I will post Slingshot content whenever I stumble upon it in newly acquired vintage mags.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Elevation12,000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    676
    The above review is already gone. All pics and mag scans I ever posted are gone! Fortunately I saved them all on my computer. I made new hyperlinks and all mag scans can again be viewed on FatCogs.

    I post the Slingshot review again:

    Slingshot, BIKE Juni91

    2
    3
    4

    Positive review. Brief conclusion: Downhill the wheels are better attached to the ground, nevertheless the greatest advantage of the Slingshot design is not comfort. The Slingshot provides smoother traction (the article is saying it works like a modern of traction control system) and gives energy in return at a point that benefits optimal 360 pedalling (energy return system).
    Last edited by Elevation12,000; 06-11-2005 at 03:57 AM.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    963
    Just picked-up a 95 Slingshot off of ebay.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...163808545&rd=1

    I am not typically one for impulse buying,(Well ok, maybe sometimes!) but the bike looked pretty clean, and the fork pushed me over the edge! I have wanted a Slingshot for a while, and look forward to owning and riding one. What kind of decals did the 95 vintage bikes have? Any feedback is appreciated.

    Seems like I remember reading that certain types of Boom-tube decals are still available through Slingshotbikes(I think from one of your posts on FirstFlight Eric). I have been trying to call Slingshot over the past couple of days but they are kind of tough to catch in. Guess thats to be expected with small botique bike manufacturers. Need to email them tomorrow I suppose.

    Thanks for starting this thread Eric, and thanks to all that have contributed with great info and excellent pictures of their bikes!


    Jeff

  36. #86
    bike geek
    Reputation: tamjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,052
    Keeping this tread alive. Found it after this thread on the 29er board today got me looking into the history of board breakage on Slingshots. Seems like there are a good number of old 26ers still running strong, can whatever extra forces poster 'number2' mentions that big wheels put on the board really be that bad?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10
    I have just had a search through my old mags and found a 1994 copy of mtb pro.
    It has a review of a MT4 sling shot.
    Anyone want it?

  38. #88
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Noserider
    I have just had a search through my old mags and found a 1994 copy of mtb pro.
    It has a review of a MT4 sling shot.
    Anyone want it?

    I do!

    Check your PM's.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10
    No PMs yet.

  40. #90
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    Keeping this tread alive. Found it after this thread on the 29er board today got me looking into the history of board breakage on Slingshots. Seems like there are a good number of old 26ers still running strong, can whatever extra forces poster 'number2' mentions that big wheels put on the board really be that bad?
    I am not sure what "extra forces" he could be talking about either. AFAIK the flex board location does not vary much with any frame size. The bottom of the head tube on the Big Shot may be a little higher than a 26" frame.

    I am not going to worry about it and just ride my B'Shot.

    number2's post has the feel of sour grapes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    227
    No sour grapes just hard facts. I feel I have the responsability to let the buyers know what their getting into.

  42. #92
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by number2
    No sour grapes just hard facts. I feel I have the responsability to let the buyers know what their getting into.
    Then give us the full story and some one else that can back it up. this looks like a small part of one side of the story. Information without conformation can not be taken as fact.

    We have no idea you who are.

    Rumors are easy to start.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Then give us the full story and some one else that can back it up. this looks like a small part of one side of the story. Information without conformation can not be taken as fact.

    We have no idea you who are.

    Rumors are easy to start.
    I have been involved with slingshot in some way for about 10 years, the last involvment was a partnership in the company. I was also the poduct manager and part of the new "design team" that made the 29" frame. I am not going to give out names on this forum, you can use my information anyway you want or not.
    The reason the newer frames have a quicker failure rate is : 1 the rear triangle stiffness was increased by using lighter and larger OD stays with ritchey dropouts combined with 2 a stiffer boom tube with a 1.125 head tube and a hand built fork combined with 3 a board material that was not able to withstand the extra force generated by the above. In or around 1998 the "scotchply" material design was sold to another company(SCICOM) and was being developed for other uses. Slingshot started using the new product when they started to cnc machine the board box for there frames, while this did not present a problem at the time because they did not change there tubing specs. The reason the older frames last longer: original Scotchply board and smaller OD tubing and 1" head tubes and possibly the old box shape?
    Rather than try to fix the problem with a new board material the current owners desided to make it fixable by a shop or the owner( you can not do it with a steel frame without alot of tooling and some of the old board material etc ).
    I am 5' 7 and weigh 180 lb and was able to make a board fail in 6 mo. on a 26" SS and 3mo. on a 29" SS
    This was under normal riding conditions, similar failure rates were had by several local riders.
    All riders were on SS frames, some were folding 26" all the 29" were non folding.
    The new design is being made in china and is aluminum. I Don't know much more than what I've seen in a few interbike pics. The prototypes were built in the US and were raced by some of their factory team. That is all.

  44. #94
    bike geek
    Reputation: tamjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by number2
    I have been involved with slingshot in some way for about 10 years, the last involvment was a partnership in the company. I was also the poduct manager and part of the new "design team" that made the 29" frame. I am not going to give out names on this forum, you can use my information anyway you want or not.
    I talked to Scott at Slingshot this morning. He said he knows who you are, but would not say. He and his product manager are working on a response to your post, which they'll send to me, and I will post here once I get it. I need to know the full story.

  45. #95
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by number2
    I have been involved with slingshot in some way for about 10 years, the last involvment was a partnership in the company...
    I am 5' 7 and weigh 180 lb and was able to make a board fail in 6 mo. on a 26" SS and 3mo. on a 29" SS
    This was under normal riding conditions, similar failure rates were had by several local riders.
    All riders were on SS frames, some were folding 26" all the 29" were non folding.
    The new design is being made in china and is aluminum. I Don't know much more than what I've seen in a few interbike pics. The prototypes were built in the US and were raced by some of their factory team. That is all.
    Interesting. And reserving judgement.

    Your story has changed a bit. On the 29er board you implied the problem was specific to, and because of, the 29er design. Not a change in tubing sizes. Not a change in the board material. No mention of general design issues regardless of wheel size.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Interesting. And reserving judgement.

    Your story has changed a bit. On the 29er board you implied the problem was specific to, and because of, the 29er design. Not a change in tubing sizes. Not a change in the board material. No mention of general design issues regardless of wheel size.
    That is not what I was implying,and I'm sorry it looked that way. The problem is worse with the 29'' frame than 26" and the SS set up was worse than the geared. I think you are taking me the wrong way here, I'm not trying to degrade the slingshot name or the 29'' wheel, I'm just letting you know what I have known for a few years. I have been riding 29" wheels exclusivly for the last 3 years and am a devout fan. I also own several slingshots and still think the design has alot going for it. I do not ride a slingshot mtb any longer but I still enjoy it in road bike form.

  47. #97
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by number2
    That is not what I was implying,and I'm sorry it looked that way. The problem is worse with the 29'' frame than 26" and the SS set up was worse than the geared. I think you are taking me the wrong way here, I'm not trying to degrade the slingshot name or the 29'' wheel, I'm just letting you know what I have known for a few years. I have been riding 29" wheels exclusivly for the last 3 years and am a devout fan. I also own several slingshots and still think the design has alot going for it. I do not ride a slingshot mtb any longer but I still enjoy it in road bike form.
    Honestly, I appreciate your input. I just like knowing where it is coming from.

    Do you know if/where I can get a softer spring for my BS?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Honestly, I appreciate your input. I just like knowing where it is coming from.

    Do you know if/where I can get a softer spring for my BS?
    The springs on slingshots are a stock die spring that can be had at any die supply house. I don't recall the wieght of the stock spring but if you take it with you they can tell the size. Die springs change in OD and length when the load changes so I'm not sure a softer spring will fit.

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GonaSovereign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    303

    CF "Slingshot"

    Anyone else see the Slingshot-style carbon bike? It's a home-made job. Photos from the Weight Weenies site.



    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    690
    Just started watching this forumn. I dig it! I am so tired of the techno weenies. I have been riding a Slingshot Boom tube bike since the fall of 92. No pics right now, I am building a new house and it is packed away with the rest of my herd in sotorage.

    Mine is the 93 Team Yellow version in a 17" long. I also have a mod that I have never seen. A Pro-Action downtube. I sold Slingshots back then and got to try this new deal. It really made the bike a blast on steep technical downhills.

    I will try to get pics shot soon.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Official FAT chance thread
    By scant in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 1259
    Last Post: 3 Days Ago, 03:49 PM
  2. A Balfa Thread - figured I'd start one
    By MMcG in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 04:49 AM
  3. canadian bikes?? british bikes!!!
    By daveIT in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 01:54 PM
  4. Official test thread..
    By Innocent Bystander in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 08:56 PM
  5. Rate the Thread
    By george_da_trog in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 10:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •