Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Slingshot board replacement adhesive - any experiences?

Getting ready to launch into a board replacement on an older folding frame. I think I've successfully sourced the Scotchply spring material, but am wondering about the adhesive. I am guessing it is simply high-grade epoxy, and absent any other information I'm planning to try it with the System Three epoxy I have around the house from boatbuilding, thickened with microballoons. Wondering if anyone has experience with what adhesives worked or didn't work for this purpose.

Of course, the exciting part is going to be trying to align all four independent pieces -- the boom, the pivoting part of the seat tube, the board, and the rear end -- while the epoxy is wet. Not sure exactly how that's going to work.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by balcs
    Getting ready to launch into a board replacement on an older folding frame. I think I've successfully sourced the Scotchply spring material, but am wondering about the adhesive. I am guessing it is simply high-grade epoxy, and absent any other information I'm planning to try it with the System Three epoxy I have around the house from boatbuilding, thickened with microballoons. Wondering if anyone has experience with what adhesives worked or didn't work for this purpose.

Of course, the exciting part is going to be trying to align all four independent pieces -- the boom, the pivoting part of the seat tube, the board, and the rear end -- while the epoxy is wet. Not sure exactly how that's going to work.

How quick does the proposed choice of epoxy cure?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    At least 20-30 minutes of working time, depending on temperature. I don't think speed is going to be the issue, it's more the three-degrees-of-freedom geometry. The two holes that the QR goes through have to be aligned at the same time as the boom tube and the rear end are aligned, if you get what I mean. I will either have to build some kind of jig to set it all in, or possibly glue up the rear end of the board first, drill for the QR, clamp rear half of boom tube to rear subframe, then glue and align front end of board. However, I don't yet know if there's enough play in the boom tube socket to accommodate inaccuracy in installing the rear half. Anyway it should be interesting when I actually get to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by balcs

sounds like you are working on a folder?
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, it is a folding cyclocross model. Circa 1999? In nice shape except that the board is starting to delaminate. It'll probably make it through the cross season, but I'm getting ready with the replacement parts. It's a great bike except for one thing -- the rear brake cable hanger is totally in the wrong place. It is much too close to the wheel to actually clear the cable yoke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Guys thought some of you may be interested in seeing this example of a slingshot BMX. Not mine (I wish...), found it on another web forum by chance.

Stunning IMO.

Also I better post a pic of my slingshot MTB as well, its been on the retrobike site so some of you may recognise it from there. I think its a 1992 model frame?

Happy Trails!

Old School
    Another of the 18 alleged 1992 team bikes (sibling to Rumpfy's) built with a Suntour drive train.

(sorry if you've seen this elsewhere -- trying to clean things up and put them in their proper place )
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice.

ARCHQUEST

Slingshot Frame Changes

I got a 91 Slingshot and I love the way it climb but from what I read the flex in early Slingshot is typical tradmark of the frame. I know that from 91-93 design, the top tube is flat/horizontal and later 93-and up have sloping top tubes and 1-1/8" steer tube.

My questions is did Slingshot ever update the frame design from 93 onward till the current super boom tube models like the Ripper and Fold-Tech models? If I got a 99 or 2003 slingshot would it ride stiffer/betterthen my 91 frame? or I have to get the latest frames to eliminate the flex nature? The top boom tube size looks unchange from 91 till the current models but I might be missing something.

All help is appreciated, thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fjyang
    I got a 91 Slingshot and I love the way it climb but from what I read the flex in early Slingshot is typical tradmark of the frame. I know that from 91-93 design, the top tube is flat/horizontal and later 93-and up have sloping top tubes and 1-1/8" steer tube.

My questions is did Slingshot ever update the frame design from 93 onward till the current super boom tube models like the Ripper and Fold-Tech models? If I got a 99 or 2003 slingshot would it ride stiffer/betterthen my 91 frame? or I have to get the latest frames to eliminate the flex nature? The top boom tube size looks unchange from 91 till the current models but I might be missing something.

All help is appreciated, thanks
    The horizontal boom tube went to a a sloping boom tube in 1993. The 1 1/8" head tube came in 1995 if memory serves me correct. The seat post/tube size went from 31.8 to a smaller size at this time also.

As far as the stiffness of the bikes goes, the 1 1/8 headtube bikes will be very slightly stiffer than the prior versions with the 1". The aluminum framed Ripper (the newest model with the super oversized boom tube) will be quite a bit stiffer than any prior Sling but all new Slingshots are made overseas now which in my opinion, stinks. Aluminum is also by nature lame.

The flexy nature of the Slingshot however, is what makes a Slingshot fun. Its actually pretty stiff laterally and the slight amount of flex you do get, when coupled with the "sling effect" make the bike a blast on swoopy single track. If you want a "stiff" bike, then you should sell me your Slingshot and I can hook you up with a nice new mass produced aluminum Trek 820. That's my two cents.

-bustin punks
    Quote Originally Posted by jacdykema

I also found a picture of Bob Lawson's Slingshot trials bike. I believe this is the one he won the Nationals on.

Photobucket
    I'm pretty certain that is not Lawson's 93 National Champ Bike (as pictured). Details are fuzzy but I think his bike that year was running a home made handlebar, and those don't look like his self-made brakes either. Anyhow, I remember all of the components that he made himself around that time, and that bike does not appear to have them. It may also be an earlier build of the same frame, as there were only two of them. He also ran the anti-compression sleeve on his cable towards the end - IIRC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti
    I'm pretty certain that is not Lawson's 93 National Champ Bike (as pictured). Details are fuzzy but I think his bike that year was running a home made handlebar, and those don't look like his self-made brakes either. Anyhow, I remember all of the components that he made himself around that time, and that bike does not appear to have them. It may also be an earlier build of the same frame, as there were only two of them. He also ran the anti-compression sleeve on his cable towards the end - IIRC.
    I should have clarified, the FRAME he won nationals on. I guess I just usually think of the frame as pretty much equivalent to the bike. It is the frame he won on though. The other trials bike a slightly different configuration where the cable meets the frame. I used to lust after both those bikes whenever I would see them.

That was a pretty wild parts mix he had going on in the later years though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not sure if the steel '90s era Slingshots ever went to a 1 1/8" hs. Both my '91 and '96 frames are 1". The larger seat tubes and suspension corrected geometry showed up around 1993, I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 993rs
    Not sure if the steel '90s era Slingshots ever went to a 1 1/8" hs. Both my '91 and '96 frames are 1". The larger seat tubes and suspension corrected geometry showed up around 1993, I think.
    They went to 1 1/8th but I was mistaken about the date. I know that by 2000 they had switched. 1998 is sticking in my head for some reason.

You down with entropy?
    I should have clarified, the FRAME he won nationals on. I guess I just usually think of the frame as pretty much equivalent to the bike. It is the frame he won on though. The other trials bike a slightly different configuration where the cable meets the frame. I used to lust after both those bikes whenever I would see them.

That was a pretty wild parts mix he had going on in the later years though.
    I seem to remember him hopping around campus on a white front/black back trials bike.
    or is my memory hazy and that was his MTB... I also recall the slingsHOT decal too.

either way it was fun to watch him doing crazy stuff. nose wheelies down the steep hills over by mc-dorm. Also Bob riding up and down the stairs (4 floors) in the dorm for practice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, I think that was his 26" wheeled bike. It was still built up with a lot of trials specific parts though.

I'm trying to remember, did he go to Northern Michigan or Michigan Tech? For some reason I thought it was one of the UP schools.

-bustin punks
    Michigan Tech. I shared a dorm room/apartment type thing with him for a couple of years.

You down with entropy?
    I was up at tech starting in 92. I was the crazy guy in the ME department that wore shorts all year round if that narrows me down....
    Bob's bike was the inspiration for me searching out a slingshot last year. I have been slacking/riding too much to get very far on it but I have to get cracking soon. I have most everything aside from figuring out what length BB I need and a few random other bits, so I should have it together in its first form in the next few weeks.

ARCHQUEST
    Did the boom tube change in size or design from early 90's to the current models of Ripper? I even read somewhere some early 2000 frames have aluminum boom tube and steel rear ends?

I just want to confirm that if the boom tube deisgn didn't change beside the slopping orientation then the only difference are the 1" to 1-1/8" head tube size from 91 to the current Ripper and Folt-Tech.

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by 993rs
    '93 marked the standardization of the rear triangle on all sizes. As the frame size increased so did the length of the seat, top, and head tubes. I'm not sure about the suspension correction. I have three '93 models and two have rigid Slingshot forks and the other has a Judy on it. With the bike's being set up so differently from one another, I haven't noticed whether they are corrected or not, nor have I checked.
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The boom tube design DID change a lot. The Ripper boom is much larger, made of aluminum and has a totally different method of connecting to the seat tube. The steel rear end/aluminum bikes are the Farmboy (29er) and the Fold Tech (folding 26"). Both have a different boom tube than the older bikes and connect to the seat tube differently.

Why do you ask?

Did the boom tube change in size or design from early 90's to the current models of Ripper? I even read somewhere some early 2000 frames have aluminum boom tube and steel rear ends?

I just want to confirm that if the boom tube deisgn didn't change beside the slopping orientation then the only difference are the 1" to 1-1/8" head tube size from 91 to the current Ripper and Folt-Tech.

This place needs an enema

My '95 ('94? '96?) Slingsnot racer.

I suppose the title of this thread is somewhat redundant, as 99% of the folks I've known with Slingsnots used them for racing, cooing endlessly about how fast they were.

Mine may have been fast, but not under me. It was simply comfortable to ride all day long, and it was the bike I rode in my first 12hr and 24hr races about 14 years ago. In a weak moment about ~10-11 years ago I sold the frame at the Moab fall swap meet for ~$100. I needed gas money to get home from the 24 hour race, having failed to get on the podium and as such having failed to earn a dime for the daylong effort.

Slingshot cromo frame
    RST 3" travel Mozo fork, coil/elastomer and stunningly plush for the era.
    Full Paul red ano grouppo--409 front and Powerglide rear ders, Love levers, Stoplight cantis with Moon Unit up front, Crosstop out back, Fhub, and ultra rare bolt-on skewers.
    King 1" red nothreadset.
    Tamer carbon rigid post.
    T-Gear crank, hard ano rings, split saddle (ouch), alu bar, and ti bb.
    Gore Ride-On cables.
    SPIN rear wheel and WTB primal raptor tires.
    Sun CR17A front rim.
    Original Grip Shift X-Ray 8 spd with 'Scooterized' dual springs.
    Willits 135mm x zero rise ti 1" stem. Wes called it a 'mutant' riding position. Looking back I cannot disagree, not just because of the obscene saddle to bar drop, but the narrow unswept bars. Oi.
    Oh yeah, and those deadly Bebops... I could hop this bike like none other, especially when/if my feet actually stayed attached to the pedals.

Of all the components listed above, the only part I've managed to hold onto are the red Crosstops, and only the one set.

Great thread--I especially like the oldest twin-toptube versions. As a raw young frosh at Michigan State U in '88 I wore out my welcome at one of the close-to-campus shops, staring at the twin TT bike in the front window, and incessantly (and geekily) asking about it and pining for a demo ride as I saved my pennies. When they sold it that winter and the new single-TT models came out I was crushed, and ended up buying a Prestige-tubed Stumpy instead.

MC

ARCHQUEST
    The boom tube design DID change a lot. The Ripper boom is much larger, made of aluminum and has a totally different method of connecting to the seat tube. The steel rear end/aluminum bikes are the Farmboy (29er) and the Fold Tech (folding 26"). Both have a different boom tube than the older bikes and connect to the seat tube differently.

Why do you ask?

I understand that the current Ripper and Fold-Tech have vary different boom tubes, I ask because i want to know if Slingshot made any frame updates from 91 (first year of the single boom tube deisgn) to the time they introduce the Ripper/Fold-Tech models, besides the 1-1/8" head tube change and sloping top tubes.

If I got a late 90's frame would the boom tube be beefier then my 91? From picturs that I have seem they're look to be the same size. If 91-2002 frames all rides pretty much the same then I won't bother with older style frames to improve the ride and jump directly to a Ripper if I feel the need.

I love the way it climb and the inch worm effect is no bull, best hard tail for cimbing IMO but I'm not quite use to the front end beeing so noodlely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If I got a late 90's frame would the boom tube be beefier then my 91?
    No.

-bustin punks
    here is a photo showing a very late model all-steel frame. You can see how it's top tube compares to the current Ripper and Farm Boy's. Not sure if that helps with what you are looking for or not...

Slingshots2

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast