Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    gobsmacked Moderator
    nothing vintage about that rig. They do get lots of attention though.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by meskell View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them. I suppose I was questioning mine being a '93 because I figured, regardless of frame size, that the boom gusset would not have such a noticeable size difference.

Rumpfy, thanks for the ads to reference. I understand that the build isn't original. That is why I'm looking for answers as to what might be considered original parts. I was wondering, however, if all the XT components (hubs, drivetrain, brake system) might possibly be original since they are all '93. Or are you implying that Slingshot would more likely of used XTR/Suntour if they built the bike instead of just selling a frame? The stem and rims are period correct. Maybe the post. Not sure about the bars. The rest I realize are not since I swapped out broken/worn parts. Just trying to get more information regarding OME so that I can eventually get there. Although the rims aren't going anywhere.

Thanks again for your replies. And still will take any leads on decals.
    I believe Slingshots were generally sold as frame/fork only, so shops/customers built them up as they saw fit. I don't think there's a wrong answer here. Team bikes around the same age as yours generally saw a Syncros/XC Pro type of thing.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Rumpfy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No one seemed to care in the kids forum so I thought I would post some pics of my sons bike here to get a little more attention. While not an actual slingshot I figure it is close enough to show off. Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350090693.896583.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350090719.441613.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350090757.078280.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350090801.749959.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350090845.711669.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350090890.859341.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350090928.011167.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And a quick pick of mine begging to get built back upOfficial Slingshot Bikes Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350091713.628907.jpg

mtbr member
    Super nice, Lucky kid

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    An ERB Kids Bike. Nice. Tried some time ago to buy an ERB with delivery to Germany. They did not respond....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will say that dealing with them seamed a little shady. I didn't have any problems with the order but I did have the feeling I was asking for trouble giving them my credit card. But after the frame showed up I was surprised it was so nice for the whopping price tag of $250

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Not vintage and not a slingshot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly View Post
    Not vintage and not a slingshot.
    So sorry. From the original builder of Slingshots so it is more of a Slingshot than any of the new ones. Plenty of vintage parts including Ibis Bulge Ti Bars, Dura Ace 7401 RD, M900 front deraileur, BB, Cassette, even the crank and chainring bolts are from the early 90's. And the last pic is most definitely vintage AND a Slingshot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not vintage for sure (but there are not many places for Slingshots in the web to talk about) but shares some of the concept. It's from the same inventor. Main difference is where the flex board is located. Slingshots have it upfront the Seatpost. The ERB has it more or less located behind the seatpost. I guess its more reactive that way.
    As written above. When I contacted them some time about the conversionen somehow stopped when it came to delivery to Germany. Slingshot seems not to have problems of that kind. So I ended up getting a Ripper and a Fold-Tech. Also not vintage :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    So sorry. From the original builder of Slingshots so it is more of a Slingshot than any of the new ones. Plenty of vintage parts including Ibis Bulge Ti Bars, Dura Ace 7401 RD, M900 front deraileur, BB, Cassette, even the crank and chainring bolts are from the early 90's. And the last pic is most definitely vintage AND a Slingshot.
    Cool bikes. Always wanted to try one of those ERBs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I wanted to post a few pictures of my Slingshot that I just finished putting back together.

I got it back in late '93 (I think) when I was in high school and rode it all the time. When I went to college I left it in a repair stand in my parent's basement, during which time the seatpost ended up seizing into the frame in an unrideable position.

Over the next ten years my Dad made various attempts to get the seatpost out, finally succeeding earlier this year after using a torch to heat the frame up. So after that it needed to be repainted and re-assembled, which I just recently finished doing, thanks in large part to the information in this thread.

I had new decals made up by VC Graphix (based on a suggestion in one of the posts), and I have three extra sets, so if anyone needs one let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-dscf2013.jpg  

Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-dscf2020.jpg  

Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-dscf2009.jpg  

Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-dscf2010.jpg  

mtbr member
    PM. Sent to jak7079. Thanks

Team Brooklyn
    Love the yellow/3DV combo

Nice photo composition
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    For those interested in the decals, there is no need to pay for them. Just send me a PM with the address you want them mailed to and I will send them to you.

I will be traveling a lot the next month so I may not be able to send them immediately, but I will get them to you eventually, and I will post when I've run out.

Unfortunately I don't have enough posts yet to respond to PM's, so I apologize if you haven't heard anything back from me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-img_20121106_190454.jpg  

mtbr member
    I hope you received my reply. I provided you with my address. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just wanted to let everyone know all the decals have been spoken for.

Greystreet, 993rs, and Cujodo you should be seeing them in the mail shortly. Good luck with your bikes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank you!

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Congrats to whoever picked up jacdykema's twin top tube Slingshot (hoping it was a forum member)

Way cool paint...hope to see it built up here eventually.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Look what the cat dragged in, a '93 Slingshot. The bike is complete and in very good condition, with all original parts with it. One of the very few XL frames too, I'm really happy with it (after looking for one in my size for 17 years ).

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    Congrats to whoever picked up jacdykema's twin top tube Slingshot (hoping it was a forum member)
    Way cool paint...hope to see it built up here eventually.
    Ya, that thing was rad. Hope we see the full resto resurface too.

Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    Look what the cat dragged in, a '93 Slingshot. The bike is complete and in very good condition, with all original parts with it. One of the very few XL frames too, I'm really happy with it (after looking for one in my size for 17 years ).
    Looks like a lot of the XC Pro still on it too. Nice. Post pics when its all built up and ready for trail action.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Looks like a lot of the XC Pro still on it too. Nice. Post pics when its all built up and ready for trail action.
    The derailleurs still have those little plastic protective/instruction stickers on them . The complete XC Pro brakeset came with it, but I've got a NOS pair of Suntour rollerbrakes... which should I put ?

For the rest it's a special '93 build, all original parts either on it or with it and hardly ridden. The only things that definitely need replacing are the tires, which have turned brittle with age. And the only thing I'll probably go shopping for sooner or later are matching Suntour thumbsifters. The (first and before me only) owner had it built in '93 with gripshifts, but I prefer thumbshifters on a bike like this.

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    The derailleurs still have those little plastic protective/instruction stickers on them . The complete XC Pro brakeset came with it, but I've got a NOS pair of Suntour rollerbrakes... which should I put ?

For the rest it's a special '93 build, all original parts either on it or with it and hardly ridden. The only things that definitely need replacing are the tires, which have turned brittle with age. And the only thing I'll probably go shopping for sooner or later are matching Suntour thumbsifters. The (first and before me only) owner had it built in '93 with gripshifts, but I prefer thumbshifters on a bike like this.
    real sweet! should be quite a difference to a sandman

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidftw View Post
    real sweet! should be quite a difference to a sandman
    Ah, life doesn't stop with a Sandman bike , I must have contacted Slingshot 5 times over the last two decades to ask when and if they could make me an XL. They always replied "we'll let you know". So I was very surprised to see one come up for sale.

Here's what the owner replied to my question if it was indeed an XL and what the story behind it was:

The history of Slingshot, under the ownership of Joel and Mark Groendal (aka Greendale Bicycle company) is well documented at MOMBAT: Museum of Mountain Bike Art & Technology. I was casual friends with the two brothers and often hung around their shop/factory in the early 1990's as I ran a fast food restaurant just up the street. I also had hoped for a day they would build an XL size. Slingshot's history gets rather vague after 1995 or so having a number of different investor owners with NO interest in cycling.

Sometime in 1993, due to Slingshot's sponsorship with True Temper tubing, they were contacted by associates of Michael Jordan to build him a bike of True Temper tubing. Michael Jordan was also sponsored by True Temper as they made his golf club shafts. My guess is contact was made due to Grand Rapids, MI being only 3 hours from Chicago IL.
    Michael is about 6 foot 8 inches tall, SAME height as me, though I am a POOR basketball player.

Since the build jigs were already setup, it was rather easy to build the TWO frames.
    I purchased the frame direct from the Groendal's and had the bike built up at Speed Merchants Bike Shop in Rockford MI. At the time the Suntour XC microdrive was much more popular then Shimano Deore
    I had plans to get back into serious mountain biking (I'd raced a Schwinn KOM in 1989-1991), but much prefer road cycling and 50-100 mile tours. It has maybe 200 miles or so of light dirt road riding.

The Slingshot has most all of it's original parts including the rear Continental tire, softride stem, Onza grips, cables, and chain. I simply switched out the Suntour XC Pro cantilever brakes due to heel clearance issues of my size 48 shoes. I think when the bike was built in 1993, Shimano V brakes had not yet been invented. I will include all the Suntour XC pro brakes, cables, and levers in the box.

Cool eh ?

mtbr member
    Hey gents..my 92 sling came with a manitou front shock. Anybody know where I can get a original rigid fork? TIA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Try calling PJ at Singshot. I was able to get a Tange 1" steerer tube fork from them last year.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I may have one soon. I'll let you know. Unless you only want one from a dude.

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    very cool. congrats

mtbr member

Rigid fork

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I may have one soon. I'll let you know. Unless you only want one from a dude.
    Yes..I'm interested. Thank you

mtbr member

Read disc conversion

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Im looking to convert to disc brakes but as you know, the older slings did not come with rear disc tabs. searched and found numerous threads as far back as 8 years. Most of my search lead to nowhere..any updated leads to newer products is much appreciated. Thank you

gobsmacked Moderator
    Wrong forum for that. Try the brakes forum or the new Slingshot website. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Wrong forum for that. Try the brakes forum or the new Slingshot website. Good luck.
    My question is specific toward older sling shot frames w/o rear disc tabs..interested on info for anyone who converted to rear disc brakes. Many photos are seen on this thread with it..not quite sure why it would be in the "wrong" forum.

VRC Illuminati
    Rollercams need RC/U-Brake mounts. Your bike has cantilever mounts. You'll have to use the XC Pros no matter what.

eBay will have your shifters easy.

Looking forward to the finished product! Killer back story on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Greystreet View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed before. Im looking to convert to disc brakes but as you know, the older slings did not come with rear disc tabs. searched and found numerous threads as far back as 8 years. Most of my search lead to nowhere..any updated leads to newer products is much appreciated. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Greystreet View Post
    My question is specific toward older sling shot frames w/o rear disc tabs..interested on info for anyone who converted to rear disc brakes. Many photos are seen on this thread with it..not quite sure why it would be in the "wrong" forum.
    Don't do it. You want disc brakes, get a modern Slingshot. Wrong forum in the sense that the vast majority of VRC forum members are purists. Converting a classic to disc brakes is sacrelig and makes the frame worthless.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    I agree with originality but im Not looking to weld tabs to the frame. I'm looking for a conversion bracket/ brace of some type which can be removed as necessary. There are plenty of photos shown here but unfortunately no info about the conversion.

Most Delicious
    So the later steel Slingshots - they take a 34.9 front derailleur and a 31.8 seatpost? Was there some sort of internal sleeve?

I'm gathering that at some point they switched from an internal reinforcement to ovalizing the bottom of the seat tube?

And the boom tube - what diameter tubing is it, and did it change leading up to the BigShot, or was it a constant up until the aluminum boom tubes?

Is there a "Field Guide to North American Slingshots"?

mtbr member

Slingshot decals

Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV View Post
    I'd pop for 1 or 2 of em..

Hello

I'm looking to have another batch made of these decals. Please PM me if you're interested so I know how much I need done. Price is 11 bucks For the pair shipped. Thank you.

Most Delicious
    Doing some poking around, this might help some people out:

Their 1992 patent: Patent US5080384 - Bicycle frame - Google Patents

which describes the hinge material as "Scotch Ply 1002", which is now called Cyply 1002.

It also shows the reinforcement inside the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just about finished with my vintage build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Slingshot Bikes Thread-slingshot1.jpg  

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    Doing some poking around, this might help some people out:

Their 1992 patent: Patent US5080384 - Bicycle frame - Google Patents

which describes the hinge material as "Scotch Ply 1002", which is now called Cyply 1002.

It also shows the reinforcement inside the seat tube.
    Got something up your sleeve Doc?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeferg75 View Post
    Just about finished with my vintage build
    Nice! Stock color?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Nice! Stock color?
    No, bought the frame that way, not sure what colors were in 88-89 likely still two tone.

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Got something up your sleeve Doc?
    Unless someone 'round here has a large Slingshot cyclocross frame they don't want, I might be building a, shall we say, "replica".