Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004

Official Rock Lobster Thread

Here are some more pics of my Red Lobster. Any more of Mr Sadoff's work would be cool to see. As requested my Chefmiguel!

More emphasis on frame details...This is the Team Fillet. It was un-filed fillet brazing...pretty nice work IMO!
    I'm pretty sure First Flight has a couple Rock Lobsters...

DSC09713
    DSC09721
    DSC09720
    DSC09719
    DSC09717
    DSC09718
    DSC09722

Dumpster Diver
    Absolutely! Make it official. Awesome bike by the way. I'm sure plenty of Lobsters will start coming out.
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

VRC Illuminati
    Seems like a good thread idea to me.

I saw a RL at Black Mountain Cycles that was awesome. Early one from what I could tell.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    Killer looking bike RB. Does it get ridden often?

Negative points for that seatpost!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Visitor
    nice stem.

mountaingoatcycles.com

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Plus one
    Stuart

illuminaughty
    what a showoff ..nice collection Jeff

VRC Hound
    The single speed is my fave so far!

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Killer looking bike RB. Does it get ridden often?

It has been ridden a fair bit in a few incarnations...some 'cross racing and a bit of commuting, but now that it;s actually off-roadable, it;ll see more time.

As for the seatpost, I don't want an old busted post in my rear, and I need a zero offset for the bike to fit right...

I'm full of excuses today!

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb

As for the seatpost, I don't want an old busted post in my rear, and I need a zero offset for the bike to fit right...

I'm full of excuses today!
    Just get a vintage XT post and slam the seat forward
    Stuart

McNears-DTB Schooner

I saw a RL at Black Mountain Cycles that was awesome. Early one from what I could tell.
    Was it the hand written part that gave us that impression?

bad pics, sorry this was all I took...
    Wanted: Salsa P7 or P10 1" quill stem.

slower than you

Rock Lobster #006

totally the wrong pictures for this thread, i know... but they're the only pictures i have of this bike... i don't really take garage-door pictures.

it's a 1986 vintage, iirc, number 6 sadoff mountain frame per paul and the bb shell. i am the second owner, the original owner lives in my town now but is still a friend of paul; i believe they were neighbors in santa cruz long ago. i've owned the bike for more than 10 years.

i ride it regularly; it's fillet brazed and powder-coated blue; i have the stock stem, it's a mile long, but had paul make me a new shorter-taller one when i put the drops on it; paul made the fork, too; it's built as a fixed/free, lately i've ridden it mostly fixed but these pictures were all taken when it was a singlespeed-only. sorry no details, but hope you enjoy, ntl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

clueless
    ... definitely not! great pictures!

ciao
    flo

Old School
    Great thread.

I always like Rock Lobster back in the day and thought that they were "under loved" on the vintage scene.

Hope to see more here

mtbr member
    Cool bikes. I had a "signature" frame briefly a while back. I still have the stem which I'll post here. I think these look cooler and have a bit more character than their cousins that were made down the road a bit.

Paul is still going strong today making frames and sponsoring 'cross teams which do really well locally.

horn doggie

1999 custom Rock Lobster w/ Action Tech fork

I found a few more images from a couple years back, taken while riding the 'Lobster in Santa Cruz. It felt right at home!

Here's a bit more information from my buddy, Bret, of Kalo MTB, from whom I purchased this bike after his move to Arizona. Apparently he felt he would never have a chance to ride a hardtail designed for the loamy soils of the Santa Cruz redwoods on the harsh trails in the mountains above Phoenix:

"The bike was built custom for me by Paul in ~1999. It has Deddaccai main tubes with "Nontrager" seat stays and Ritchey chainstays and dropouts. I got the fork from "Lambo Mark" along with the old-school 1.25" Chris King headset. He got it direct from Russ at Action-Tec in the early 90's. Mark was the Norcal distributor for Mtn Cycle at the time, and the fork was given to him as a demo to try on an old Mtn Cycle frame (when they were 1 1/4" headtubes), but he never even tried it. The fork was nearly 10 yrs old by the time I got it, yet had never been mounted! The fork was already red, so I did the frame in the same red to match the fork.

When the frame was made, Paul didn't have the tooling to ream and face the headtube. I had to take it to Chris Kelly to have it done. He had done several Action-Tec based frames, so he had the tooling. Originally I was going to ship the frame to Action-Tec to have them do it. It probably would have been cheaper than what Kelly charged me for his 5 minutes of work!

I bought the headtube and main tubes from the tubing supplier and gave them to Paul. He used leftovers for the rest of the frame. I think I paid about $350 for the frame at the time, very cheap for the quality. The cranks came out of the showroom at Race Face. I was lucky to be able to get the non-matching set, thanks to Rich at Race Face. The BB is a Phil Wood Ti-mag....way too light for my weight but has always worked perfectly. Who spends $300+ for a BB???? Someone must, 'cause Phil Wood still makes them.

It was originally built with a Ritchey 2x9 setup with an 8-speed cassette, chain, and the Ritchey 9th cog with special lockring. When that wore out, I just converted to 9-speed cog and chain and a regular 9-speed shifter. The Plasma rear deralleur and XT front are still original. All the Moots stuff is all original, including one of the very first Ti riser bars they ever made to sell.

The bike has been raced 3 times, all at the Napa World Cup: once at Skyline, and twice at Domaine Chandon.

There is a "cousin" to this bike out there somewhere...... a Norcal guy has a single-speed aluminum bike with a Cannondale headshock; it's yellow. I used to see him at Sea Otter every year."

Since in my possession, I've changed the brakes to Avid Ultimates, and the tires to a mix of WTB and Kenda offerings..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scooderdude; 01-30-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mountaingoatcycles.com
    This bike belonged of Kim Murray (wife of Joe). Cool early XTR parts with a Dura Ace track front hub. Full fillet brazed.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Man, my bike needs one of the sweet Rock Lobster rigid forks!

mtbr member
    Great photos hope to see more coming. I agree with Joe it seems that Rock Lobster doesn't get as much attention as other frames but Paul definitly deserves some props for his craftsmanship. Thanks Richieb

horn doggie
    New photos posted
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Dang, thanks, you guys !

It's nice to know that people are fans of my bikes......it's been just over 30 years since I built my first frame ( a track frame.......it was not the best effort !) and about 24 years since I built Rock Lobster # 1 which now resides on Vancouver Island, B.C. I hope to post some photos of some old and really odd bikes in the future. MTBR folks don't know that I built road,track and cyclocross frames for over 5 years before I built my first Mountian bike....but then, those are skinny tire bikes and therefore don't count. Rock Lobsters are in Australia, Singapore, Norway, even Taiwan. I guess if you do something for a long enough time the word gets around. Cheers, Paul.

horn doggie
    Freakin' Paul's ever the humble dude. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

dw22107
    Jan 2008

Rock Lobsters are all I own

I got my first cross bike in 1994 and was hooked ever since. Another cross bike in 2003 which i use for road (ultra light aluminium, beautiful fork), custom mnt. bike in 2004 which got stolen with 2 locks on it, replaced it in 2005 and then got a new custom tig steel cross bike in 2007. Thanks Paul. Couldn't be a nicer guy. Always willing to meet with ya.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Seems like a good thread idea to me.

Not sure what the serial number is, but there have been a few in of a similar vintage. Even had a guy stop by on a newer road bike built with Easton Scandium (which is actually a great riding material and getting harder to get from Easton by small builders).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast