Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    408

    Official Ned Overend Thread

    hey, that Tomac picture thread a while back was pretty fun- how about some Overend photos? I'll go first. Ned, not Ned. Ned, not Ned. Road Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (105.5 KB, 906 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (109.8 KB, 932 views)
    • File Type: jpg 22.JPG (97.7 KB, 1393 views)
    • File Type: jpg 23.JPG (61.4 KB, 896 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (69.9 KB, 915 views)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kb11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,201
    Cool pics What bike is Ned lowsliding? (3rd pic) doesnt look like a Specialized
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

  3. #3
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    Cool pics What bike is Ned lowsliding? (3rd pic) doesnt look like a Specialized
    It looks like a Specialized Stumpjumper model from the late '80s. They had one that was green/pink/white - quite horrible looking. He's also wearing Specialized gloves.

    It also looks like he's (or it could be a different rider from the first photo if it's the same race) riding drop bars in his over-the-bars photo.

    I should probably read the original post. the over-the-bars shot: not Ned. The sliding out shot: not Ned.
    Last edited by ssmike; 02-14-2007 at 07:58 AM.

  4. #4
    Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Reputation: Shayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,368

    Those bars Are Wierd

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    It also looks like he's (or it could be a different rider from the first photo if it's the same race) riding drop bars in his over-the-bars photo.
    They don't look like drops but more like bullhorn type bars open at both ends of the "barend" It looks like regular canti levers mounted on the forward end and bar-end shifters in the backside.
    *** --- *** --- ***

  5. #5
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    They don't look like drops but more like bullhorn type bars open at both ends of the "barend" It looks like regular canti levers mounted on the forward end and bar-end shifters in the backside.
    I couldn't figure that out either - definitely a bar-end shifter. Maybe the bar end and brake lever are mounted to a Syncros-like bar end??? Wonder how his gut feels landing on that right side shifter?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    408

    not ned...

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    It looks like a Specialized Stumpjumper model from the late '80s. They had one that was green/pink/white - quite horrible looking. He's also wearing Specialized gloves.

    It also looks like he's (or it could be a different rider from the first photo if it's the same race) riding drop bars in his over-the-bars photo.

    I should probably read the original post. the over-the-bars shot: not Ned. The sliding out shot: not Ned.
    ....that was my intent, to show ned riding the same spots as some others in a slightly different style....i don't know anything about the specialized in the 3rd shot except that it was in 1988.

  7. #7
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,762
    Good thread!

    I'll have to dig up some pics.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,556
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I couldn't figure that out either - definitely a bar-end shifter. Maybe the bar end and brake lever are mounted to a Syncros-like bar end??? Wonder how his gut feels landing on that right side shifter?

    Not Nedly.

    Cool pics, Surly. What else have you got? I like the first one a lot; never seen it. That second shot is John Weisenrider with his famous bars.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 02-14-2007 at 08:59 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,556
    Quote Originally Posted by surly357
    hey, that Tomac picture thread a while back was pretty fun- how about some Overend photos? I'll go first. Ned, not Ned. Ned, not Ned. Road Ned.

    Here's an old poster, of course Ned has a glare on him. I think this is 89.

    Who can name the other riders?



    Here's one of Ned right after finally dropping the young 20 year old unknown Swiss kid Thomas Frishknecht and winning the 1990 World Championships. This was a really good race.

    http://www.egidio.com/image_files/ac.../20x091690.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Who can name the other riders?
    Serious? A picture of an obscure part might be more challenging. Initials as a hint (L-R): SB, DP, NO, EB, LM. LM was a cutie!

  11. #11
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,762
    Sara, Darrel, Ned, Eladee (sp?) and Lisa.

    I'll let someone else get the last names.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Not Nedly.

    Cool pics, Surly. What else have you got? I like the first one a lot; never seen it. That second shot is John Weisenrider with his famous bars.

    yeah, i've posted that second one before, i gotta get busy w/the scanner. between the wifes work on one computer and my daughters 'my space' on the other it doesn't happen too often. by the time i remember how the scanner works i'm getting kicked off! maybe i should bring it to work- always time here. (uh, forget that last part.....).

  13. #13
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Sara, Darrel, Ned, Eladee (sp?) and Lisa.

    I'll let someone else get the last names.

    Darrel (sp?) as well

  14. #14
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,762
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Darrel (sp?) as well
    Fine, throw an extra 'l' in there.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  15. #15
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Fine, throw an extra 'l' in there.
    actually, there's a "y" and only one "l" and only one "r"

  16. #16
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,762
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    actually, there's a "y" and only one "l" and only one "r"
    Aw for F's sake. My interweb search for the correct spelling failed me.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bigwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,863
    Sara Ballantine, Daryl Price, Ned Overend, Elladee Brown and Lisa Muich.

    But who took the picture?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    408

    ned 85-86

    ned winning the 85 iron horse bicycle classic, 86 ihbcx3, and just because i can post 5 at a time, a shot of 'bicycle bob' for good measure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    408

    ned 87-88

    i'm just a scanning machine tonight. 87 ihbc x 3, 88 ihbc x 1, 88 norba nats (?).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    408

    and my all time favorite...

    it's the start of the 88 iron horse, i'm waiting for my buddy doug to finish watering a bunch of scrub oak when ned comes FLYING up the first little climb ALL ALONE- and heads straight for the same oakbrush! seconds later doug comes running out yelling that he got to share a bush with THE ned overend as ned hightails it back to the start! and in case you 'had to be there' a shot of jt picking mud out of his teeth for your trouble.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,762
    Great photos Surly!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,556
    Quote Originally Posted by surly357
    ned winning the 85 iron horse bicycle classic, 86 ihbcx3, and just because i can post 5 at a time, a shot of 'bicycle bob' for good measure.

    Great shots again! Bicycle Bob Gregorio went on to be Tomac's trusty full-time mechanic as you probably know.

    Note the chrome Mantis stem on a few of Ned's bikes. The one where he's being interviewed has a WTBish or Ibis style stem... Wonder who made those bikes. I know Ibis made the Specialized bikes he rode.

    Great stuff. Keep em coming.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Sara Ballantine, Daryl Price, Ned Overend, Elladee Brown and Lisa Muich.

    But who took the picture?

    You guys are too good. BW, you know the photographer?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7
    I remember a photo in a US magazine around 1989-90 where Ned is flying around a corner, both wheels sliding, no fingers on the brake levers. Truely inspirational stuff for me at the time as a teenager. I must find that magazine and scan it.

  25. #25
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,580
    [QUOTE=Fillet-brazed]Great shots again! I know Ibis made the Specialized bikes he rode.

    QUOTE]

    really? wow didnt know that! tell me more

    The grey white stumpjumper team (with pink/orange decals), I had 1 of those

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •