Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Ned Overend Thread

18K views 65 replies 22 participants last post by  CCMDoc 
#1 ·
hey, that Tomac picture thread a while back was pretty fun- how about some Overend photos? I'll go first. Ned, not Ned. Ned, not Ned. Road Ned.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
kb11 said:
Cool pics :thumbsup: What bike is Ned lowsliding? (3rd pic) doesnt look like a Specialized
It looks like a Specialized Stumpjumper model from the late '80s. They had one that was green/pink/white - quite horrible looking. He's also wearing Specialized gloves.

It also looks like he's (or it could be a different rider from the first photo if it's the same race) riding drop bars in his over-the-bars photo.

I should probably read the original post. the over-the-bars shot: not Ned. The sliding out shot: not Ned.

#4 ·
Those bars Are Wierd

ssmike said:
It also looks like he's (or it could be a different rider from the first photo if it's the same race) riding drop bars in his over-the-bars photo.
They don't look like drops but more like bullhorn type bars open at both ends of the "barend" It looks like regular canti levers mounted on the forward end and bar-end shifters in the backside.

#5 ·
Shayne said:
They don't look like drops but more like bullhorn type bars open at both ends of the "barend" It looks like regular canti levers mounted on the forward end and bar-end shifters in the backside.
I couldn't figure that out either - definitely a bar-end shifter. Maybe the bar end and brake lever are mounted to a Syncros-like bar end??? Wonder how his gut feels landing on that right side shifter?

#6 ·
not ned...

ssmike said:
It looks like a Specialized Stumpjumper model from the late '80s. They had one that was green/pink/white - quite horrible looking. He's also wearing Specialized gloves.

I should probably read the original post. the over-the-bars shot: not Ned. The sliding out shot: not Ned.
....that was my intent, to show ned riding the same spots as some others in a slightly different style....i don't know anything about the specialized in the 3rd shot except that it was in 1988.

#8 · (Edited)
ssmike said:
I couldn't figure that out either - definitely a bar-end shifter. Maybe the bar end and brake lever are mounted to a Syncros-like bar end??? Wonder how his gut feels landing on that right side shifter?
Not Nedly.

Cool pics, Surly. What else have you got? I like the first one a lot; never seen it. That second shot is John Weisenrider with his famous bars.

#9 ·
surly357 said:
hey, that Tomac picture thread a while back was pretty fun- how about some Overend photos? I'll go first. Ned, not Ned. Ned, not Ned. Road Ned.
Here's an old poster, of course Ned has a glare on him. I think this is 89.

Who can name the other riders?

Here's one of Ned right after finally dropping the young 20 year old unknown Swiss kid Thomas Frishknecht and winning the 1990 World Championships. This was a really good race.

https://www.egidio.com/image_files/action/mtb001_900/20x091690.jpg

Attachments

#12 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Not Nedly.

Cool pics, Surly. What else have you got? I like the first one a lot; never seen it. That second shot is John Weisenrider with his famous bars.
yeah, i've posted that second one before, i gotta get busy w/the scanner. between the wifes work on one computer and my daughters 'my space' on the other it doesn't happen too often. by the time i remember how the scanner works i'm getting kicked off! maybe i should bring it to work- always time here. (uh, forget that last part.....).

#20 ·
and my all time favorite...

it's the start of the 88 iron horse, i'm waiting for my buddy doug to finish watering a bunch of scrub oak when ned comes FLYING up the first little climb ALL ALONE- and heads straight for the same oakbrush! seconds later doug comes running out yelling that he got to share a bush with THE ned overend as ned hightails it back to the start! and in case you 'had to be there' a shot of jt picking mud out of his teeth for your trouble.....

Attachments

#22 ·
surly357 said:
ned winning the 85 iron horse bicycle classic, 86 ihbcx3, and just because i can post 5 at a time, a shot of 'bicycle bob' for good measure.
Great shots again! Bicycle Bob Gregorio went on to be Tomac's trusty full-time mechanic as you probably know.

Note the chrome Mantis stem on a few of Ned's bikes. The one where he's being interviewed has a WTBish or Ibis style stem... Wonder who made those bikes. I know Ibis made the Specialized bikes he rode.

Great stuff. Keep em coming.

#26 ·
flozza said:
I remember a photo in a US magazine around 1989-90 where Ned is flying around a corner, both wheels sliding, no fingers on the brake levers. Truely inspirational stuff for me at the time as a teenager. I must find that magazine and scan it.
I'd like to see that picture.

Ned's a competitive Expert Class DH racer. His kid has skills too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.