Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 152
  1. #1
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617

    Official Mountain Goat Picture Thread

    Calling all Goat owners.

    We need pictures of Whiskeytown's, WTLites, Deluxe's, Escape Goats, new Goats, old Goats....

    Post em, give the Klein guys a run for most wild paint.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  2. #2
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    1991 Whiskeytown LIte.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  3. #3
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  4. #4
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,877
    1991 Whiskeytown Lite

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/snakeriver/115_1509.JPG" height="768" width="1024">
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    real cool shot and great looking bike.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Mines getting there. Got some dirt on it.
    waiting for my stem to come back from the powder painters
    check out my cut down Magura grip treatment.....

    now if I could just find a black noodle like the one Rumpfys bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    VRC Hound
    Reputation: bushpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    That seat has really gotta go. - FatMikeNYC - got space

  8. #8
    ...
    Reputation: ameybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,505
    it was a good week for Goats!

    My (for now) 1992 Whiskeytown FS


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    it was a good week for Goats!

    My (for now) 1992 Whiskeytown FS

    That must be a pretty rare bike, I don't recall seeing a lot of those. I wonder how many were built?

  10. #10
    He be a moose too.
    Reputation: pinguwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    give the Klein guys a run for most wild paint.
    Not a chance. We've got Carsten. (Carsten-Mate, forget about that goat you have and pretend it doesn't exist)

  11. #11
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,862
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    Not a chance.
    you guys are doomed.
    looking for 20-21" P team

  12. #12
    I picked two too many
    Reputation: MrOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    765

    Hmmm pretty

    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    1991 Whiskeytown Lite

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/snakeriver/115_1509.JPG" height="768" width="1024">
    Nice use of the 2/3 rds rule in photography. Excellent composition.


  13. #13
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange
    Nice use of the 2/3 rds rule in photography. Excellent composition.


    What about the crank covering up the 'Mountain Goat' logo?

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  14. #14
    I picked two too many
    Reputation: MrOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    765

    don't go too far . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    What about the crank covering up the 'Mountain Goat' logo?

    Looks less "staged" like this. Ala "natural" (or however you say that in Cali)


  15. #15
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,877
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange
    Nice use of the 2/3 rds rule in photography. Excellent composition.

    It was a bit of a fluke to get the shot. I was trying to take the pic as quickly as possible before the bike rolled forward and tumbled off the 900-foot cliff.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  16. #16
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,877
    Here I tried to be really artsy, but didn't quite pull it off.

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/snakeriver/114_1491.JPG" height="768" width="1024">
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  17. #17
    I picked two too many
    Reputation: MrOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    765

    one step farther

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange
    Looks less "staged" like this. Ala "natural" (or however you say that in Cali)

    Would be to do this . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    I picked two too many
    Reputation: MrOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    765

    croppy crop

    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Here I tried to be really artsy, but didn't quite pull it off.

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/snakeriver/114_1491.JPG" height="768" width="1024">
    What? You left plenty for a good crop . . .

    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    Since when did this turn into a photog board?Just kidding,I wish I still had my Nikon D50

    Great looking bikes guys,I want one!

    Chris

  20. #20
    Carsten
    Guest
    too late Pingu, too nice to not show it off, err - i mean share it

    1991 Deluxe, Dinoflage, RS-1, Mavic, XC Pro


















  21. #21
    just 1 more
    Reputation: azjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Would someone PLEASE describe how these bikes ride compared to a bike with normal tubes The paint and details are awesome but what about the ride??
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Would someone describe how these bikes ride compared to a bike with normal tubes. The paint and details are awesome but what about the ride??

    You know, they really don't feel that much different than regular tubes. It's non butted aerospace grade 4130 ovalized tubing. I would actually say the front triangle is more rigid not quite as much spring as a regular set of round butted tubes. the ovalization process also has a tendency to make the tubes more rigid, which also leads to slightly more precise steering although on a rigid bike this is not usually a factor. The geometry is just as much of a factor in how these bikes handle. Long chainstay's, bottom bracket height, head angles, etc...
    Curved fork blades and cast crown also tend to give the front end a unique feel but very subtle differences though, nothing glaring. Bike is still fairly new to me so I'm sure as I get more time on it, I'll be able to distinguish its unique handling qualities a little better.

    nothing like riding a slingshot or something

  23. #23
    Carsten
    Guest
    here's another really nice Deluxe, painted California Special - not mine...














  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696

    grizzly goat

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    here's another really nice Deluxe, painted California Special - not mine...


    Love that one!

  25. #25
    Carsten
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Love that one!
    me too! i was ready to pull the trigger on that one when i thought why not check CL one last time and found the Dino Deluxe. couldnt be happier with that one but still very tempted...

    Carsten

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    122
    thank god rumpfy started this thread...






  27. #27
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354
    Couple of new ones:











  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    Couple of new ones:

    Those bikes truly fit the definition of "retro"

    nice job on that line

  29. #29
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085

    'nother

    A friends goat from way back. '89 Deluxe custom painted by the owner. One of the few (only?) goats to leave Chico without paint so she could paint it after Cyclart laid down the base.







  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kb11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,213
    Here's my only Goat, an early '87 WTR, last year of the double seatstays. I think I need to add to this herd









    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

  31. #31
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,877
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    Here's my only Goat, an early '87 WTR, last year of the double seatstays. I think I need to add to this herd
    I don't think that I knew that you owned that one. Very nice.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kb11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,213
    EL, I picked this one up locally from the original owner who was a racer at the time. He ordered it with just a two tone, blue/white paint scheme. It was pretty beat up when I got it so I had Russ Pickett do a simple paint job on it.
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

  33. #33
    VRC Hound
    Reputation: bushpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    EL, I picked this one up locally from the original owner who was a racer at the time. He ordered it with just a two tone, blue/white paint scheme. It was pretty beat up when I got it so I had Russ Pickett do a simple paint job on it.
    It looks great!

  34. #34
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    Here's my only Goat, an early '87 WTR, last year of the double seatstays. I think I need to add to this herd

    I remember when you brought that to...one of the Sea Otter Retro Meets.

    Exceptional bike!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  35. #35
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    In terms of diversity and complexity of paint work...Goats might have a leg up (no pun intended) on Kleins.

    Not saying Klein paint isn't nice...but a lot of it is the same aside from the few exceptions.


    Every Goat posted so far is a different, involved, creative paint job.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    In terms of diversity and complexity of paint work...Goats might have a leg up (no pun intended) on Kleins.

    Not saying Klein paint isn't nice...but a lot of it is the same aside from the few exceptions.


    Every Goat posted so far is a different, involved, creative paint job.
    Beautiful bikes!I am starting to get jealous,but I could never afford one anyways unless I got lucky.


    Chris

  37. #37
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    Beautiful bikes!I am starting to get jealous,but I could never afford one anyways unless I got lucky.


    Chris

    Ah hey, you never know.

    Just recently there were several eBay Mountain Goats. I believe a stellar example slipped through the cracks for a pretty low number.

    Timing and patience in your searches is the key.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  38. #38
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    "I believe a stellar example slipped through the cracks for a pretty low number."

    Who got that one?
    Stuart

    wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

  39. #39
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    "I believe a stellar example slipped through the cracks for a pretty low number."

    Who got that one?
    I don't know.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    Thanks,I'll keep my eyes open and maybe I'll get lucky.Nothing on ebay right now,but maybe around X-Mas time there will be.

  41. #41
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,877
    I'm not sure what you consider "reasonable," but I don't think that the price of Goats is as great as some other brands. They're pretty reasonbly priced in my mind.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  42. #42
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,862
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    They're pretty reasonbly priced
    now if i could only find one...

    i must not be lookin hard enough.
    looking for 20-21" P team

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kb11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I'm not sure what you consider "reasonable," but I don't think that the price of Goats is as great as some other brands. They're pretty reasonbly priced in my mind.
    I'd agree with laffeaux. They dont sell for more than say a Yo Eddy even though there were far fewer Goats made. I'm on the lookout for 19" '88 Goat for a friend. He worked there in '88 and wants one bad for sentimental reasons
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Another goat in the Herd??


    hmmmmmm bushpig? bushpig? bushpig?

  45. #45
    VRC Hound
    Reputation: bushpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    Another goat in the Herd??


    hmmmmmm bushpig? bushpig? bushpig?
    Busted!

  46. #46
    Carsten
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    Busted!

    congrats, really nice. just needs a little TLC... great that it stays within the VRC family

    Carsten

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    Busted!

    LOL!



    SWEET!
    Nice and original. Good thing everyone is at interbike. I can't believe it sat there for three hours good thing I'm out of room and it's too big

    whats the plan for that thing?

  48. #48
    VRC Hound
    Reputation: bushpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    whats the plan for that thing?
    This bike is way to big for . I ride an 18/19. However, a have a shelf with bikes in my living room. It comfortably holds 12 bikes, thought it has a couple more than that on it. This one is going to end up there. If time and weather permits, I will be doing a run of stuff this weekend to make space for this bad boy.

  49. #49
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    This bike is way to big for . I ride an 18/19. However, a have a shelf with bikes in my living room. It comfortably holds 12 bikes, thought it has a couple more than that on it. This one is going to end up there. If time and weather permits, I will be doing a run of stuff this weekend to make space for this bad boy.

    Should fit me juuuust fine. I'll send you the Geigh Goat and you can keep this one with me.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    This bike is way to big for . I ride an 18/19.
    I know what you mean......
    I looked forever for a 19". Literally years. I couldn't believe when one came up. It seemed like the only ones that I ever came across were 20-21" I'm a BIG fan of stand over clearance

    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    I have a shelf with bikes in my living room. It comfortably holds 12 bikes, thought it has a couple more than that on it. This one is going to end up there.
    That should make for a nice picture don't you think?

    btw are you going to repaint it or leave it original?

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'll send you the Geigh Goat and you can keep this one with me.

    Did it try to hump your bamboo goat or something?

  52. #52
    Carsten
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    This bike is way to big for . I ride an 18/19. However, a have a shelf with bikes in my living room. It comfortably holds 12 bikes, thought it has a couple more than that on it. This one is going to end up there. If time and weather permits, I will be doing a run of stuff this weekend to make space for this bad boy.
    first thing on the do-list when you've received it: mount the inner tubes properly! the seller seems to be a bit sloppy

    Carsten

  53. #53
    VRC Hound
    Reputation: bushpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    first thing on the do-list when you've received it: mount the inner tubes properly! the seller seems to be a bit sloppy

    Carsten
    I'd like to rotate the handlebars down too

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    I'd like to rotate the handlebars down too

    Yea, I'm not a big fan of that setup either. But what the heck, it looks pretty......

  55. #55
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    Did it try to hump your bamboo goat or something?

    I didn't know where to look. It was awkward. Now the other bikes are nervous too.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  56. #56
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    I'd like to rotate the handlebars down too
    Might also be the angle of the picture a bit too...taken from down low.

    I like a bit of up sweep. Better than down sweep.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  57. #57
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    I know what you mean......
    I looked forever for a 19". Literally years. I couldn't believe when one came up. It seemed like the only ones that I ever came across were 20-21" I'm a BIG fan of stand over clearance



    That should make for a nice picture don't you think?

    btw are you going to repaint it or leave it original?
    IMHO I'd leave the paint it has. It's such a cool vintage paint job.
    Stuart

    wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

  58. #58
    VRC Hound
    Reputation: bushpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Might also be the angle of the picture a bit too...taken from down low.

    I like a bit of up sweep. Better than down sweep.
    It was a joke. They are welded to the stem.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,949
    Nothing a hammer can't fix.

  60. #60
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury
    Nothing a hammer can't fix.
    Thats what I'm sayin'.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  61. #61
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    I'm finding that Jeff had quite a few versions of his bar/stem combo. Yours has the beefy triangle gussets and the extension welded to the front of the steerer insert. I've seen different gussets including just tigged square and triangle metal plates and the extension welded to the top of the steerer insert. I'd like to find out the timeline on his bar/stem combo and stems. My '82 has the Lindsey fillet brazed stem and a bar with some pretty good sweep back to them. I know that some of the bar/stem combo's had a tendency to fail so I'll have to ask the original owner of mine if my stem is original or he had a combo that failed and this stem was a Lindsey replacement.
    Stuart

    wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    My '82 has the Lindsey fillet brazed stem and a bar with some pretty good sweep back to them.
    What, should I send you a camera for your birthday........

  63. #63
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    What, should I send you a camera for your birthday........

    Awwww, nobody wants to see my junk.
    Stuart

    wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

  64. #64
    Old School
    Reputation: Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Awwww, nobody wants to see my junk.
    C'mon...show us your junk...

    I mean your bike stuff..

  65. #65
    horn doggie
    Reputation: scooderdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    too late Pingu, too nice to not show it off, err - i mean share it

    1991 Deluxe, Dinoflage, RS-1, Mavic, XC Pro

















    OMFG..... I just messed all over my keyboard. Stunning bike. Me wants.

  66. #66
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    just a rider....


    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  67. #67
    VRC Hound
    Reputation: bushpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    just a rider....


    Wow! That is a beaut.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Not mine.

    But I thought it was way too cool not to be shared.

    Hopefully the "new" owner will post some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  69. #69
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    Not mine.

    But I thought it was way too cool not to be shared.

    Hopefully the "new" owner will post some pics.
    Huh?
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boy named SSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Huh?
    That one just sold for a small fortune on ebay had you missed it.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Huh?

    yea, sorry
    you get a little slower as you get older

  72. #72
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Ah, there it is. Picture wasn't showing up.

    Yeah, I saw that. Aloha must be happy.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    That one just sold for a small fortune on ebay had you missed it.


    What cool paint on that bike.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Ah, there it is. Picture wasn't showing up.

    Yeah, I saw that. Aloha must be happy.

    Oh yea

    Stayed in the States too. I Wouldn't of thought.

    someone has a cool bike though. I almost took the paint stripper to my frame after seeing that paint job

  75. #75
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    Oh yea

    Stayed in the States too. I Wouldn't of thought.

    someone has a cool bike though. I almost took the paint stripper to my frame after seeing that paint job

    I'll trade you my Bamboo Goat for either your Potts or your C'Ham. Your choice.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'll trade you my Bamboo Goat for either your Potts or your C'Ham. Your choice.
    Yea, Maybe if yours had "Sushi Girl"

  77. #77
    horn doggie
    Reputation: scooderdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'll trade you my Bamboo Goat for either your Potts or your C'Ham. Your choice.

    Or my Timber Comp, eh Rumpf?

    Dang, that was a nice bamboo but a small sized frame. I suppose the valuation of your bamboo WTR just went up 50% or so.
    Wanted:

    Potts, Potts, Potts

  78. #78
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    Yea, Maybe if yours had "Sushi Girl"
    I'll paint her on. Maybe topless.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'll paint her on. Maybe topless.

    Nice!!

  80. #80
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    Or my Timber Comp, eh Rumpf?

    Dang, that was a nice bamboo but a small sized frame. I suppose the valuation of your bamboo WTR just went up 50% or so.

    Haha! Naaah, not that much.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  81. #81
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Aloha must be happy.
    Makes me feel warm and fuzzy about my purchases. He's been doing extremely well on th' bay.
    Stuart

    wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

  82. #82
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    If you only collect nice stuff, you only have nice stuff to sell.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    Not mine.

    But I thought it was way too cool not to be shared.

    Hopefully the "new" owner will post some pics.

    same one?
    <a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/?action=view&current=bamboo-01.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/bamboo-01.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

    <a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/?action=view&current=bamboo-02.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/bamboo-02.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

    <a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/?action=view&current=bamboo-03.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/bamboo-03.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

  84. #84
    Carsten
    Guest
    just uncovered these Mountain Goat price lists from August 82 and January 83. The 82 only lists the Escape Goat but the 83 has the Deluxe, the Escape Goat and the Tandem. Seing the price difference i guess the Deluxe already had the ovalized tandem tubing back then.

    August 1982



    January 83 Dealer pricing



    January 83 Retail pricing


  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharin' Carsten.

    I realized I never put my Goat in here. I'll have to snap off some pics. I also noticed someone was making fun of my valve stem installation.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    21

    Road goat.

    Road goat ?? Easier for forgiveness than permission...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  87. #87
    Carsten
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onetonoffun
    Road goat ?? Easier for forgiveness than permission...
    nice! is it the one the recently was on CL?

    Carsten

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    21
    Armwrestled Ameybrook for it.....
    Last edited by onetonoffun; 06-01-2008 at 12:29 PM.

  89. #89
    ...
    Reputation: ameybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,505
    D you take that pic underwater? Come on man...

    It is nice.... too big for me.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11
    Hi everyone,
    New to the forum and the world of vintage bikes...

    I just picked up my first Mountain Goat - a 1990 Whiskeytown Racer frame in reddish/orange. Its definitely a restoration project - missing fork, 2 dings and touch up paint spotted all over, but she's solid and has virtually no chain slap or chain suck damage. It should definitely be a fun project to work on! I remember drooling over the Mountain Goat catalog when I was in college in the early 90's. My WTR actually has a few styling cues that are a bit different than the ones I've seen on the forum or elsewhere on the net:
    - Mine has 3 badges (1 head badge and 2 side seat collar badges). The other pics I've seen had either a head badge OR the 2 side seat collar badges)
    - Mine has the Whiskeytown Racer sticker vertically down the seat tube, instead of horizontally across the top tube.

    Were these just different options from Mountain Goat? Also, does anyone know where I could find a replacement for the California Flag Made in USA sticker?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  91. #91
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by davin550
    Hi everyone,
    New to the forum and the world of vintage bikes...

    I just picked up my first Mountain Goat - a 1990 Whiskeytown Racer frame in reddish/orange. Its definitely a restoration project - missing fork, 2 dings and touch up paint spotted all over, but she's solid and has virtually no chain slap or chain suck damage. It should definitely be a fun project to work on! I remember drooling over the Mountain Goat catalog when I was in college in the early 90's. My WTR actually has a few styling cues that are a bit different than the ones I've seen on the forum or elsewhere on the net:
    - Mine has 3 badges (1 head badge and 2 side seat collar badges). The other pics I've seen had either a head badge OR the 2 side seat collar badges)
    - Mine has the Whiskeytown Racer sticker vertically down the seat tube, instead of horizontally across the top tube.

    Were these just different options from Mountain Goat? Also, does anyone know where I could find a replacement for the California Flag Made in USA sticker?
    I see you ended up with Ameybrooks M2 Stumpjumper too.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  92. #92
    John Galt
    Reputation: cegrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,646
    Is that a VRC ceiling fan?

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I see you ended up with Ameybrooks M2 Stumpjumper too.
    Yup, i sure did. Its a nice frame. Very well done. It doesn't hurt to have 2 projects going on at the same time. Actually, scratch that. Its going to hurt my wallet.

  94. #94
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by davin550
    Hi everyone,
    New to the forum and the world of vintage bikes...

    I just picked up my first Mountain Goat - a 1990 Whiskeytown Racer frame in reddish/orange. Its definitely a restoration project - missing fork, 2 dings and touch up paint spotted all over, but she's solid and has virtually no chain slap or chain suck damage. It should definitely be a fun project to work on! I remember drooling over the Mountain Goat catalog when I was in college in the early 90's. My WTR actually has a few styling cues that are a bit different than the ones I've seen on the forum or elsewhere on the net:
    - Mine has 3 badges (1 head badge and 2 side seat collar badges). The other pics I've seen had either a head badge OR the 2 side seat collar badges)
    - Mine has the Whiskeytown Racer sticker vertically down the seat tube, instead of horizontally across the top tube.

    Were these just different options from Mountain Goat? Also, does anyone know where I could find a replacement for the California Flag Made in USA sticker?
    I'm pretty confident your frame was repainted and redecaled at some point. The canti posts have paint on them and your frame wouldn't have left the Goat farm like that. I would check with First Flight Bicycles/Mountain Goat Bicycles for decals.
    Stuart

    wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

  95. #95
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,617
    Quote Originally Posted by davin550
    Yup, i sure did. Its a nice frame. Very well done. It doesn't hurt to have 2 projects going on at the same time. Actually, scratch that. Its going to hurt my wallet.
    Haha, yeah, the second one is more accurate.

    Not to derail this thread but:
    1992 Specialized M2 Team - Ned Replica
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21

    1988 Mountaingoat Deluxe

    First time poster, thanks to Jeff at First Flight for helping me determine the age of this bike. 1988 21" Deluxe Mountaingoat(#21988D), bought this bike in 1992 used as a consiginment in Fort Worth TX. Paint is Dinoflage, at least that's what we call it. She's not a garage queen as she's drug my kids around the block in bike trailers as well as doing the HotterN'Hell 100 twice in skinny tires.

    Components are

    WTB Greaseguard wide flange hubs with Ritchey Vantage Comp rims/z- max megabites
    IRD seatpost and factory MG double binder stem
    Bullseye cranks and WTB bottom bracket
    Shifters, brakes, Rapidfire derail. all XT.
    Manitou 1, also have the original unicrown












  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by C Miller
    First time poster, 1988 21" Deluxe Mountaingoat(#21988D)

    Welcome!!

    What a great looking bike!!

    I love the paint and matching cranks

    Interesting. It looks that the down tube appears to be round. I wonder what the story is there??

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    21

    1" tube for fat guys

    The way Jeff explained it to me was that the 21" Deluxe bikes got a 1" down tube, mainly a strength issue. Being 6'5" and 250lbs I swear I hear her groan when I throw a leg over her.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crconsulting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by C Miller
    The way Jeff explained it to me was that the 21" Deluxe bikes got a 1" down tube, mainly a strength issue. Being 6'5" and 250lbs I swear I hear her groan when I throw a leg over her.

    Wow very cool!!

    Never seen one like that. I believe thats the only one we have a picture of here, It's got to be a pretty rare setup.

  100. #100
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354
    Catalog page stating that the 21"+ sizes use a round down tube

    http://mombat.org/88Catalog3.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •