Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Official Marin thread?

Hi guys I do not know if there is one already, i was quite surprized going through about 15 pages and not seeing to many Marn's so how about it?
    Photos and serial numbers to also try to start a serial number Database

Certified Bike Junkie
    Are you sure you don't mean Merlin?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nope Marin I am into the 90's stuff, Zolotone/neon bliss.

AM, monstercross, klunker
    Chirp, chirp.

Merlin would have gotten more bites. As someone who grew up in Marin, the eponymous bike company has never been known for making anything remotely collectible, except perhaps for the old Pine Mountains, and those rank somewhere near old Treks and GTs. Not bad bikes, but they're not Otis Guys, Steve Potts, Cunninghams or anything remotely in that league.

Am I missing something? Perhaps my biases about the Marin brand are incorrect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So basically I am being laughed out?

Quote Originally Posted by old newbe View Post
    I'm sorry if I hurt any feelings. Hell, a Marin sure beat the Miyata Ridge Runner I got in '85 or the Fuji Suncrest I got in '88. But, like those brands, Marin bikes are not vintage retro classic bikes.

That's just my opinion, based on my experience growing up in Marin and hanging out in Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly's shop on Center Avenue as a kid, where they sold Ritchey-made MountainBikes.

Marin's founder, Bob Buckley, is an unknown in the Marin MTB scene and, as far as I know, the bikes were never actually manufactured locally.

Go ahead and post some Marin pics and bike trivia. Whatever floats your boat. We are all equal-opportunity bike geeks here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    No feelings hurt at all, I don't have deep enough pockets for high end, where as earlier stuff is affordable, I mean I would love a Bontrager as in pic a high end Gary Fisher would be nice, in the mean time I can be content with a 95 Marlin, that is as rough as they come.
    I will get a nice bike one day mean while I can have lots of older ones to tinker with.

The shop of Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly's must have been awesome, I build my bikes around Gary earlier opinion of using what I have.

Thanks for the replies

Sergeant Spandex
    Marin is well regard in the UK, I think you might find a sympathetic ear on RetroBike. I personally kind of like them because they were EVERYWHERE when I was at San Francisco State in the '80s. Also they had a cool boutique style outlet somewhere in SOMA.

Use what you have, or what others aren't using...

No feelings hurt at all, I don't have deep enough pockets for high end, where as earlier stuff is affordable, I mean I would love a Bontrager as in pic a high end Gary Fisher would be nice, in the mean time I can be content with a 95 Marlin, that is as rough as they come.
    I will get a nice bike one day mean while I can have lots of older ones to tinker with.

The shop of Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly's must have been awesome, I build my bikes around Gary earlier opinion of using what I have.

Thanks for the replies
    Good morning! The Thanksgiving holiday has taken me away from my beloved bikes and trails, but at least I can indulge in my bike habit online.

There is an abundance of nice, used bikes out there. The beauty of bikes is that all the parts that wear (chains, rings, cassettes) are replaceable. As shown in this forum, you can keep old bikes running with a little love. New mountain bikes are expensive, but used ones can be quite affordable.

I haven't bought a new bike since I ordered a Bontrager frame & Rock Shox Mag 21 in '92, which I scrimped and saved for (many of the parts came off the aforementioned Fuji Suncrest, speaking of "using what you have"). I rode the crap out of that bike until 2009, when I finally gave into buying a full-suspension rig so I could keep up with my buddies on the fun stuff. It took me a couple years before the right deal on the right bike popped up on craigslist, but buying used saved me thousands. Same now with the 29er craze: I just picked up an almost-new Gary Fisher 29er last weekend for $500 from craigslist (it retailed for around $2000 new)... It's a lot cheaper than upgrading part-by-part.

Or just ride what you've got. The important thing is to get out on the trails and crank that grin up to 11!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Nice posts, goto11.

mtbr member
    I like the Marin branded bikes too, not expensive and well appointed. Crazy how everyone loves the look and name of the Manitou fully but build that bike out of cro-mo, put a Marin name on it and nobody here cares.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    I like the Marin branded bikes too, not expensive and well appointed. Crazy how everyone loves the look and name of the Manitou fully but build that bike out of cro-mo, put a Marin name on it and nobody here cares.
    Put me in the "don't care about either of those" camp
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the Marin versions of the Manitous were ti. That said, building a frame for longevity when the design has a short shelf life isn't the best idea.

mtbr member
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    Pretty sure the Marin versions of the Manitous were ti. That said, building a frame for longevity when the design has a short shelf life isn't the best idea.
    Mine is steel and as far as short shelf life why are you here? VRC...
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Done.

Mine is steel and as far as short shelf life why are you here? VRC...
    I think you missed my point.

mtbr member
    i have a softspot for the early 90's Steel Marin's. I don't have one so no pics, will be watching though.
    2011 Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    1998 Moots Rigormootis
    1988 Ritchey SuperComp
    Bridgestone MB1, MB2, & MB4

mtbr member
    Marin offered up their full suspension bikes (all Manitou designed) with aluminum, steel and titanium front ends. They had some nice high end models, and stood out in the mid-range with neon paint jobs.
    Now With Avatar!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    I think you missed my point.
    I am with you on this one.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Marin made some very good steel ,alloy and ti bikes from the the early to mid 90s.
    big following on retrobike etc and now good value second hand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Official Marin thread?-6032579855_18b37a31ae_b-large-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    1993 Pine Mountain with street setup

1993 Pine F. R. S

mtbr member
    Never owned a Marin, but they seemed to be underrated as far as the production bikes went. Geometry always looked decent using Colkervision.

I did admire their attempts to build lighter bikes by lightening up the complete build. The typical attempt by a bike manufacturer at a lighter bike was to have their engineer shave 5 oz off their previous model's frame, but they ignored all the parts which are 80% of the bike's weight. Can't remember the name but I think they called the parts Marin Lite??

I also remember in one of the real early MBA magazines (1986-7) their $200 price point bike which actually seemed to be decent and pretty much a real mtb. Did Joe Murray ever ride for Marin??

Team Brooklyn
    The bike that kindled my lust for titanium:

Official Marin thread?-image_zps5f3fa32d.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here's a few pictures of mine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Marin thread?-img58372hh2.jpg  

Official Marin thread?-59753419sz7.jpg  

Official Marin thread?-r1hn1.jpg  

Official Marin thread?-r4pi7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    The bike that kindled my lust for titanium:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_zps5f3fa32d.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	858278
    Oh yeah! How could I forget that one!! Loved that bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast