Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rebought this rare gem, after i sold it last year. It is a very rare color on an Attitude, has 93 debossed decals on a 92 model and the condition is pretty much as new. A real unicorn for me and i am glad that i could undo my mistake of selling it.

Team Brooklyn
    That's beautiful!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    @ Matt, that one is a good place for that steel stem/bar thing you have until you find that Mission Control.

@ Maurice, can't wait to see how that ends up.
    Technology dragass

He be a moose too.
    That is a rare color indeed for an Attitude. That scheme was a standard for 92 Rascals and wasn't a stock color for Attitudes.

Official Klein Picture Thread-rascal92.jpg

Have a Rascal like this one and my friend Lili really likes it. I'm probably going to have some lilies airbrushed on it and give it to her.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Don't do that airbrush thing, please

mtbr member
    Sorry Mauricer, you bought a chick bike.

He be a moose too.
    I'm strongly on the side of not stripping and repainting original paint* unless it's a total loss but that's not what we're looking at here. This is adding 6-10 lillies (have to talk to the airbrusher about what looks good and he is a real pro) and not ruining the original paint. It will still be very clear it's a 92 Rascal with original paint tones still in place. We've had this discussion before about patina vs. stripping but this approach really isn't that same issue. There will still be patina on it.

That said DoubleCentury, she is a hot chick with with naturally curly hair that forms long, tubular curls halfway down her back, so it's all good if it's a chick bike.

* before anyone mentions it, yes, I did strip a 96 Attitude in '98. I wouldn't strip it today but if Klein still made bikes, I'd have no problem with doing it two years after buying it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Official Klein Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Sorry Mauricer, you bought a chick bike.
    From a chick perspective that is correct. But i love it. And it seems some other chicks do too.

But why hunt one of a gazillion Linear Fades, when you can have one of a kind (it will remain that way until you show me a 2nd one).
    Last edited by mauricer; 10-05-2015 at 12:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's my Rascal SS I just finished.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Good job! 1997 Klein Pulse Comp S

My not so stock 1997 Klein Pulse Comp S. I found it in the dumpster!!!Official Klein Picture Thread-img_4730.jpgOfficial Klein Picture Thread-img_4731.jpgOfficial Klein Picture Thread-img_4732.jpgOfficial Klein Picture Thread-img_4734.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I found a "time capsule" Klein. This was an eBay find. Believe it or not this bike almost ended up in the dump. The story goes (a little long):

A guy (mechanic) mentioned to one of his customers that he just bought a bike for his son. The gentleman then said "I wish you would've told me I have one in my shed that I want to get rid of." The guy responded that he really wasn't in need of another bike and the gentleman said "well I'll just take it to the dump."

Not really knowing anything about bikes but thinking he might be able to use whatever it was for parts, the guy agreed to take a look at it. Three hours later he shows up with this bike. Even though the guy didn't know anything about bikes he could tell that this was a nice bike. He took it to the local shop and they were quite surprised to see a completely unridden 2001 Klein Attitude Race.

The gentleman, a retired Fire Chief, had ordered it as part of the plan within his department to start mountain biking. But he hadn't received the bike by the time they went on their first outing. Apparently firefighters in this town aren't very good mountain bikers. They moved on to other activities. When the Fire Chief receive the bike it went directly into his shed and stayed there for 14 years until the conversation above took place.

After holding onto it for year, knowing it was too nice to let his 12-year-old ride but not wanting to sell it since he got it for free and felt guilty about making any money on it, he ran into the Fire Chief again who assured him he could do whatever the hell he wanted with the bike...he was just happy to have room in his shed again.

I saw the bike on eBay (which was somehow not categorized properly) won the bid against only one other bidder, and will be giving this bike a nice home.

I've replaced the Bontrager bars and stem with Easton Haven and the seatpost with Thomson Masterpiece. I have XTR M975 discs on order (and a Hope Mini front for the rear in case the XTR doesn't fit with the 22mm adapter on the rear). Planning on Easton Haven carbon wheels and an XT 1x11 drivetrain. I'll update as the build progresses. I also have a Fox Float 32 80mm (which was very hard to find) that I'll be putting matchin gold Fox decals on. Can't wait for the finished product on the gem!!! Sorry, just not a retro-grouch...I appreciate advancements but still love the simple beauty of a Klein.

EDIT: For the purists on here (and the guy who poo-poo'd on this post and then deleted his reply)...yes I understand this is a Klein from the days of TREK ownership (as was every one built after 1995) but at least it's from the Chehalis factory. I just think it's amazing that a 2001 bike remained unridden and unappreciated until now. I'm gonna appreciate the hell out of this bike, regardless of who wrote the checks to the factory workers in Chehalis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Klein Picture Thread-attitude-2.jpg  

Official Klein Picture Thread-attitude-3.jpg  

Official Klein Picture Thread-attitude-1.jpg  

Last edited by ianewk; 05-17-2016 at 08:10 AM.

Sneaker man
    Nice story...but I think you're going to get yelled at for this bike being far too new for this forum...(and for posting a Trek! haha!)

-but I'd keep the Manitous over Fox's any day
    All the gear and no idea.

Stokeless Asshat
    Plus it's a stunning bike. Great color.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member

1990-1991 Klein Rascal?

So I picked up this old Klein that needed a lot of TLC for a Ben Franklin. The guy told me he ordered it without paint so he could apply his own finish which is this grey paint that's hard as a rock. He didn't like the flashy colors they offered the year he bought it. I'm just not 100% sure what year it is exactly nor do I know the model. Could be a Rascal or a Pinnacle. The serial number is R35FFF. I think the R is for Rascal, but I'm not certain.

I'd like to get some thoughts on what model you think it is and what I should do with the paint and the bike. I'm likely going to have it powder coated.

Official Klein Picture Thread-img_0288.jpgOfficial Klein Picture Thread-img_0289.jpg
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks like a late 80's/early 90's Pinnacle. Not a Rascal for sure and I don't think it is a Mountain Klein. If you can calculate the angles and measure the chain stays you can figure it out that way. The Pinnacle was considered a race bike and the Mountain Klein was just a Mountain Bike.

Cheers,
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    So I picked up this old Klein that needed a lot of TLC for a Ben Franklin. The guy told me he ordered it without paint so he could apply his own finish which is this grey paint that's hard as a rock. He didn't like the flashy colors they offered the year he bought it. I'm just not 100% sure what year it is exactly nor do I know the model. Could be a Rascal or a Pinnacle. The serial number is R35FFF. I think the R is for Rascal, but I'm not certain.

I'd like to get some thoughts on what model you think it is and what I should do with the paint and the bike. I'm likely going to have it powder coated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	1071015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	1071016
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Looks like a late 80's/early 90's Pinnacle. Not a Rascal for sure and I don't think it is a Mountain Klein. If you can calculate the angles and measure the chain stays you can figure it out that way. The Pinnacle was considered a race bike and the Mountain Klein was just a Mountain Bike.

Cheers,
    Steven
    I will check the measurements tonight. In looking at the 1989 catalog it looks like the Pinnacle or the Pinnacle Elite. I like the extremely hot Backfire paint scheme. I'm not sure how easy that would be with powder coat though.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

He be a moose too.
    Rascals had rear facing dropouts. Pinnacles and Mountain Kleins had those dropouts but some Mountain Kleins had square rear tubes. Most likely a Pinnacle. Probably not an Elite model as you did get nicer welds on them, you also paid more for the three color fade, so a person would probably not pay for the paint and not take it.

There are durability advantages of powder coat but if you really want the backfire scheme (and I have it on an Attitude and Pinnacle Elite), thenk about getting wet paint. There is no substitute for that vibrance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

1990 Klein Attitude Dolomite refreshed

Official Klein Picture Thread-90klein.jpg

Here is my highly used but rarely abused Attitude that I bought new in 1990. This is the bike I used for lift biking trips in the Rockies, cross country rides in Kettle Moraine State Park, Palos Hills and to bomb the Chicago lakeshore when I lived downtown. I couldn't begin to calculate the total miles, but it definitely needed a refresh after being retired from a catastrophic RevXRox incident. (I still have the original Campagnolo Kappa front wheel...) The bike now has new cables, shifters, pads, seat and wheels and tires all from Shimano, to match up with the original XT gruppo. All the original stuff is in a box as it was beyond serviceable condition, but I can go after that at a later date if necessary. Since the seatpost is corrosion welded into the frame in this high position I will now use this as a road/gravel bike. I could sacrifice the Thompson post for another but I have other bikes so it's not necessary. Kinda hard to find 26 V brake wheels these days too... The only optional equipment are the Onza bar ends, SPD pedals and a nondescript green bottle cage. It looks great from 10 feet away, but it's rashed up a bit from low sides on fire roads and cat trails. I still have some gravel in my shins, but don't we all?

Great bike, I really enjoy riding it again.

VRC Illuminati
    Good to see an original owner Klein still in use! Needs knobbies!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thank you. Once I figure out how to get that seat post lowered, the knobbies will go back on. I am hoping to try heat cycles to break the bond. (I do have a 1999 Trek 9.9 OHLV Pro that has knobbies on it...)

gobsmacked Moderator
    lol. They should have just specced kleins with slicks in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hi, long time lurker and first post

Here's my 100% nos '91 Team Dolomiti team issue with Campagnolo Centaur..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Klein Picture Thread-image_41.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    And here's my '92 HLF with a few goodies, Joystix, nukeproof carbon hubs and XTR although I do have some Grafton mag lites to fit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Klein Picture Thread-image_43.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    And finally my '91 Attitude in 'flare' with m700 xt and sun chinook rims....
    The pedals are temporary, I have some nice 735's to fit....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Klein Picture Thread-image_42.jpeg  

VRC Illuminati
    Solid first three posts! I have a doli too...but I kinda dig those one color Attitudes...strangely more rare.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Solid first three posts! I have a doli too...but I kinda dig those one color Attitudes...strangely more rare.
    Thanks! and yes I agree as do others, Jonrock the UK klein painter saw it & wouldn't touch it for some localised refreshing as he said it was too rare in the flare single colour! It's a yellow base coat with a dusting of pearlescent red over it - It's quite something in the sun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

My 2001 Klein Attitude

Howdy- I've always wanted a Klein mtb so I bought a modernized Klein Attitude off Craigslist, it's been changed to a 1x11 speed with Sram components. Please correct me if I'm wrong I believe it's a 2001 model, Big Sky Blue color and has a made in Chehalis Washington USA sticker on the down tube. Frame is near mint condition with Manitou fork. 2001 was the last year for Klein bikes to be built in the Washington plant before Trek took over,right??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Klein Picture Thread-klein_1.jpg  

Official Klein Picture Thread-klein_2.jpg  

Official Klein Picture Thread-klein_3.jpg  

Official Klein Picture Thread-klein_4.jpg  

mtbr member

Idea! Klein Rascal 1991 - looks like an Orange, rides like a Peach!

I cannot believe it took me over 7 years to get my Rascal to its final iteration.

I experienced a lot of pumps in the road... courtesy of the shitty roads in the US, my own mechanical ineptitude, bike shops that overpromised and underdelivered, thieves that swiped my wheels and at one point the whole bike, and last but not least my uncooperative bank account.

On the other hand I met a lot of nice and knowledgeable bike aficionados and mechanics along the way. Thank you guys for helping me assemble my dream ride. And a special shout-out goes of course to the guys from Ferris Wheel Bike Shop in JP for spotting my stolen Klein and chasing down that dirty thief. I will be forever grateful!

1st pic is from early 2010 with a new Soma Noah's Arc handlebar already installed. The FSA seat post is still on the frame today, everything else is gone.

2nd pic shows the 2011 version with Bontrager Hank Tires on custom wheels with Alex TD17 rims and SRAM iMotion3 coaster break hub in the back. Swobo saddle, Exotic Aluminium 1" fork, Origin8 stem, Avid BB5 disc break, run-of-the-mill Dimension crank with BBG bashguard and Salsa chainring.

3rd pic was taken in 2015 after a few of month of abuse by my thief. Because the guy had simply ripped out the traffic sign post to get my shiny Klein the U-Lock was dangling on the frame the whole time causing some paint damage and a couple of dents. He also tried to disguise his prize with spray paint. Fortunately, task completion does not seem to be his strong forte and he was spotted riding though the neighborhood by the bike shop guys. They chased him on their own bikes, got a Police car to join the hunt and eventually cornered the thief at the Orange line train tracks. I went through all the stages of grief... and GOT IT BACK!

The kicker was: The day before it was stolen I had picked up the bike from the bike shop with a new set of custom wheels (Shimano Deore hub in the front, SRAM G8 coaster break IGH in the back and still loving Bontrager Hank).

I had decided to upgrade because three gears were never quite enough for some random commuter trips... and because the older wheels were stolen during a night of street parking a few month earlier.

The 4th pic is missing... I really want to get all the black spray paint off before taking it. Lacquer thinner works without hurting the original paint job but requires a lot of elbow grease. The 2017 version sports a Salsa Bend 2 handlebar with a new FSA stem and RaceFace Chester pedals. Please stay tuned for that one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Klein Picture Thread-bike_2010_feb_02_05.jpg  

Official Klein Picture Thread-img_2165.jpg  

Official Klein Picture Thread-wp_20150617_006.jpg  

Last edited by applaus; 04-13-2017 at 05:44 PM.

He be a moose too.
    I had the same frame with completely original parts in near perfect condition and sold it about a year ago, not sure if that was a good idea but trying to cut down on the number of bikes. I'm kind of so-so about some of the new parts but no permanent damage is done and you can always go retro if you want. It may have taken seven years but you got it done. Will soon be showing a Rascal that took ten years to complete.

Like the story in pic #3. Doesn't sound like that was a shop that under-delivered rather they literally delivered it back. Really great of them to help like that. Too bad the thief didn't get the treatment that was common for the type of Pinkertons they had in the 30's.

/Adjusts onion on belt.

mtbr member
    He went in front of a judge... unfortunately I wasn't in town anymore to give him a stink-eye.

Going retro has actually never occurred to me, since the premise of the build was the clean and beefy look of a MTB Single Speed combined with the convenience of a 3-speed-hub. Thus I started looking around for frames with horizontal dropouts. The Klein fell into my laps courtesy to another nice bike shop employee who sold it privately for $250.

Not sure if I am truly worthy of it...

... but the build process has taught me a lot about bikes in general and Kleins in particular. The Rascal frame is a gift and without it there would be no "clean" and no "beefy" beneath my butt.
    Last edited by applaus; 04-13-2017 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Klein Attitude Comp

Hi,

I just freshly built a Klein Attitude Comp. It is in nice condition I guess... I mean the frame, only 1 ugly scratch on the top tube (maybe from the handlebar), but I applied some nail polish on it

Here is the result:
    Official Klein Picture Thread-img_20170422_150146.jpg
    Official Klein Picture Thread-img_20170422_150413.jpg
    Official Klein Picture Thread-img_20170422_150440.jpg
    Official Klein Picture Thread-img_20170422_150405.jpg

I hope we will be friends...

B

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by engine19 View Post
    Hi,

I hope we will be friends...

B
    Not with those slicks on it!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

My '88 Klein Top Gun

Official Klein Picture Thread-026.jpg

This started out as a frame only in very rough (paint) shape, derailleur bolts fused to dropouts, bottle cage rivets broken/missing...

Its taken a while to get it to this stage.

I'm drooling over all the other vintage Kleins in this thread. I'd love to be able to find/afford them, as I bought my first bike in 1994 after mowing lawns all summer. The bike shop in Alamosa, CO carried Kleins and my mom would drop me off while she ran errands. Those old paint jobs/frame still make my heart race even now.

mtbr member
    Picked up this Adept Race to sell. Cleaned it up very thoroughly, took some pics and now it is ready. Amazing condition really. The owner had babied and hardly ever used it. All parts, down to the inner tubes are stock. I took off the bar ends, installed new grips and replaced the saddle.

mtbr member
    Here is my mantra comp of 1998.
    I love this bike

full XTR M 960
    wheels M 970
    accessories by Thomson elite
    Last edited by sunn80; 07-25-2017 at 12:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here she is. For sale too.

Official Klein Picture Thread-s-l1600-3-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Night Storm!
    for sale too.
    Official Klein Picture Thread-klein-adept-pro-nightstorm.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Klein Palomino XV

Picked up this beauty last night.

Official Klein Picture Thread-fullsizerender-1.jpgOfficial Klein Picture Thread-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Catalog rebuild

Official Klein Picture Thread-img_9798.jpgOfficial Klein Picture Thread-img_9797.jpgOfficial Klein Picture Thread-img_9796.jpg
    Just finished this- it took 2 years to find all the parts. 1993 Attitude with Adroit fork. 22" XL and weighs 23.05#

artistic...
    very nice!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789