some of the good old times he joined team yeti
    Attached Images Attached Images

SSWC 2004 in Berlin!
    some more

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli
    some more
    The good ol Mongoose days. That bottom black and white picture is cool. I recognize Jimmy Donnel, Max Jones, of course Tomac, and the other two guys dont look familiar...

Those bring back some good memories. Is it just me or is racing not the same anymore?? I think its just me.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 01-31-2014 at 04:12 PM.

VRC Illuminati
    Here are some of the one's I have...

Last edited by Rumpfy; 10-24-2006 at 09:25 AM.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

SSWC 2004 in Berlin!
    from the times when races were races and not dominated by 110 pound-weighing fitfu**ers

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Here are some of the one's I have...
    How steep is that hill??? Imagine pros pushing their bikes up a hill during a race... That looks like something that I would do.

Is that race at Skyline Park in Napa by any chance?

mtbr member
    No, thats a World Cup in Europe somewhere Im pretty sure. I think St. Wendel.........Not sure though. Maybe Houffalize?

I dont think Grundig (see the number plates) was a sponsor when Napa became a world cup.

Tomac always rode up climbs that most others would walk. He was an amazing rider in every respect. He was also tested at the Olympic training center to have one of the smoothest and most efficient pedal strokes ever tested. Roadie or anybody. I dont think there will ever be anybody able to replace him or do what he did. He did so much for the sport. He was truly a phenomenon. To see him ride on a fast technical section is something that one could not forget.

SSWC 2004 in Berlin!
    and thats why i love this picture. It shows what JT was like...and what racing was like in those days.

And yes, the picture is taken during a 'Grundig-Cup' Race in Houffalize, Belgium. I'm not quite sure, but it should be from 92.

tioga even used that picture for advertising the Psycho...although JT used the Farmer Johns in that race

Koko

mtbr member
    Those two guys on Ritcheys next to him are two of the best XC riders ever as well. Henrik Djernis and Thomas Frischknecht. Hank won the worlds 3 years in a row I think and Frischknecht got lots of silvers and one gold. Well, two golds now. But those two guys were always some of the first to get off and run up a hill as they came from a cyclocross background. Ritchey used to really dominate in the early 90s....Those "P" series bikes won a lot of world cups. Probably more than any other bike.

mtbr member
    Yes, thats 92 as he has the world champion colors on. Wow! Farmer Johns in 92! Never thought that happened.

He was a stud. He is a serious legend in my eyes!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    How steep is that hill??? Imagine pros pushing their bikes up a hill during a race... That looks like something that I would do.

Is that race at Skyline Park in Napa by any chance?
    I can say that I have the same pair of shoes he's wearing in that picture...and that I can push hills like that in my middle ring at a full sprint for 4 miles straight. *cough*cough*

That's why it's one of my fav. pictures. Heros climb hills everyone else has to walk.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    The good ol Mongoose days. That bottom black and white picture is cool. I recognize Jimmy Donnel, Max Jones, of course Tomac, and the other two guys dont look familiar...

Those bring back some good memories. Is it just me or is racing not the same anymore?? I think its just me.
    It's not just you, F-b, racing has changed. Even at the "national" level races in the '80s were low key. The factory Trek-WTB team traveled in a '67 GTO convertible, primer grey with WTB stickers on the doors and fork mounts bolted in front of the trunk lid.

Local events today feel more intense and the riders less friendly than the big events did then. Still better than most road races, though.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    No, thats a World Cup in Europe somewhere Im pretty sure. I think St. Wendel.........Not sure though. Maybe Houffalize?

I dont think Grundig (see the number plates) was a sponsor when Napa became a world cup.

Tomac always rode up climbs that most others would walk. He was an amazing rider in every respect. He was also tested at the Olympic training center to have one of the smoothest and most efficient pedal strokes ever tested. Roadie or anybody. I dont think there will ever be anybody able to replace him or do what he did. He did so much for the sport. He was truly a phenomenon. To see him ride on a fast technical section is something that one could not forget.
    We had a NORBA National in Eugene OR in 1986. The course had a 1/4 mile long, steep, straight up the fall line climb. Us locals had cleaned it only twice - ever. Tomac was running a 36 x 28 low gear (no grannie) and rode it clean - in the saddle - 6 straight times - during the race. He was the only pro to do that and that included Tinker, Ned, Max, Mike Kloser, Paul Thomasberg, Joe Murray and a bunch of others.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. More of the Tomes

Thanks Kokopelli! Great pictures!!!

I've got a couple of interesting Tomac inpired restore projects underway and these pics were really interesting.

Never knew that he rode the drops on the Raleigh. Thought this was limited to his Yeti season, but you learn something new every day.

Here's links to my favorite Tomac picture site currently, though this thread might soon eclipse it . . . .

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Here's a tough Tomac question for the the thread . . . can anyone identify the pink sticker on the top tube of his C-26?

How about the sliver sticker just below the top tube on the seat tube?

Been trying to find the answer to both of these questions and identify the stickers . . . can anyone help me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tomac Mongoose pic

By the way . . . the Tomac picture where he's in the Cowboy hat holding the goose was taken at old Peddler bike shop which I use to wrench at . . .

Here's a shout out to "The Peddler Bike Shop" in Long Branch New Jersey - one of the world's greatest bike shops. http://www.thepeddler.com/

One of the guys in the photo, Wally, now runs another great shop
    http://www.bicyclehub.com

One interesting factoid - The Peddler bike shop was hired to provide mountain biking technical expertise and consulting for the first "Mountain Dew" commercials featuring mountainbikes back in the day . . . oldschool "do the dew"!

mtbr member
    The drops lasted only a couple of the early World Cups in 91. For the first Norba race he was in the states and didnt have his drop bar bike as it was in Europe. He didnt want to go through all the hassle of setting one up with drops so he just raced with his flat bar. He thought the flat bars were so much nicer/faster that he never went back.

He did have a much longer and lower drop setup though than a typical WTB style set up. He was trying to imitate his 7-11 Eddy Merckx set up as closely as possible.

Regarding the stickers, the silver one is an Easton E9 sticker. The same sticker is on the Merlin made Raleigh frame....

The pink one doesnt look familiar....

SSWC 2004 in Berlin!
    @mtnwing: Can't identify the pink one myself. But he didn't race this sticker on all his C-26. Toughest thing will be getting a C-26, won't it

Koko

Kearsarge crawler

A handshake?

How much was that handshake worth in 1989?
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli
    @mtnwing: Can't identify the pink one myself. But he didn't race this sticker on all his C-26. Toughest thing will be getting a C-26, won't it

Koko
    Tough agreed . . .. but not impossible . . . stay tuned pictures . . .

Is this one yours?

-MTNWing

SSWC 2004 in Berlin!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwing
    Tough agreed . . .. but not impossible . . . stay tuned pictures . . .

Is this one yours?

-MTNWing
    I'd be a lucky man if that one was mine. No, that's the frame Parker sold on ebay.

Little bit off topic: Wanna see a C-26 puzzle;-)

Koko

mtbr member

Johnny T

Heres one that looks to be the Park City National. This ones early 1990 as you'll notice he has not been given his C-26 yet. Hes on a steel FRO here. I wonder where this one is. I would love to have it!

I have some more pics at home I think....

mtbr member

Heres another. This ones from 91. The Norba National Finals in Vermont. Here he is hammering up the climb with Tinker withering in the background. 1991 was Tomac's year. He won the NORBA National Championships, the Grundig World Cup, and of course the World Championships in Italy.

mtbr member

Pulled from another thread.

This one must be Michigan. 1990, steel FRO. I like this shot.

It looks like he hit the dirt. A rare thing for him.

On a related note, did anybody see that jump Tomac hit in the 2000? X games. It was the final heat race and Tomac was in 2nd or third and hit this jump that launched him 40 feet in the air. Had Steve Peat (or maybe Eric Carter) not been in his way when he landed he would have won that race. It was amazing. He said afterwards he didnt want to use that jump untill the final to keep it a secret. ESPN.com used to have the video on their site but I think its gone now. I dont hear much about it really considering how amazing a move it was. Anyway, just another amazing addition to Tomacs legacy.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 02-27-2004 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    It's not just you, F-b, racing has changed. Even at the "national" level races in the '80s were low key. The factory Trek-WTB team traveled in a '67 GTO convertible, primer grey with WTB stickers on the doors and fork mounts bolted in front of the trunk lid.

Local events today feel more intense and the riders less friendly than the big events did then. Still better than most road races, though.
    Yeah, that part has changed (of course Yeti had that box van that started it all in 89 or so)but if you look at the start lineup from say 1990 and then one now, there are probably more pros now but most of them youve never even heard of. Heck, back then, all the fast experts and juniors were in the magazines and had good sponsors. Look at Jeremy Horgan Korbelski, nobody hardly knows who he is. Hes the best the US has to offer right now. I could list 20 factory guys from back in the day. Now I only know a few. But, like I said, that might just be that my interest is waning due to lack of stars like Tomac, Herbold, Grewal, Overend, etc....

Maybe its a change in sponsorship. THe companies used to really promote their riders. Even Shimano had those ads with quotes from all the top riders, and then GT had those huge ads just for a certain rider etc. The riders seemed more like stars back then. Its kinda dead now in my eyes. Anybody else?

SSWC 2004 in Berlin!
    Here's one in his 'swimsuit'

koko

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast