Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 300 of 951
  1. #201
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    hopefully we can keep all the pictures on the thread Scant posted.
    guess not
    looking for 20-21" P team

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Great shot. Never seen that one. He only raced that set up one time; it was his first European World Cup of 1991. That was the bike he built coming off the drop-barred Yeti. He went back to flat bars after that race. Rare shot there. What else have you got?

  3. #203
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621

    FYI Merged Treads

    Thread merge.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  4. #204
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by RickySilk
    Just wanted to add my first Tomac experience. It was the 94 national in Helen, GA. There was a long hike-a-bike within the first couple miles. Tomac rode it every lap. I think Travis Brown might have ridden it the first couple laps but eventually he succumbed.

    This was my first real bike race and having raced the course the day before I was completely blown away by the power he put into the pedals on that climb.
    Was that the year it rained so much at Helen, or was that the following year. For him to have ridden sections that everybody else had to hike is amazing. The course was soup.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

  5. #205
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,141
    Tomac at the 1990 Durango World's. In the bottom pic I nearly got in his way while taking the photo, hehhh!

    First try on my new scanner. Let's see how this turns out...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #206
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Tomac at the 1990 Durango World's. In the bottom pic I nearly got in his way while taking the photo, hehhh!

    First try on my new scanner. Let's see how this turns out...
    Oh dude, we'll need full size versions of those pics!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  7. #207
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Oh dude, we'll need full size versions of those pics!
    Let me dink around with my scanner software until I figure out how.

    I have some of Ned, Juli, and Herbold too if anyone would like to see those.

  8. #208
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,141
    Okay, here we go:

    Someone was asking about the little pink sticker on his top tube near the seat tube. For some reason my memory tells me it was an Onza sticker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Okay, here we go:

    Someone was asking about the little pink sticker on his top tube near the seat tube. For some reason my memory tells me it was an Onza sticker.

    Great pics. Any pics of the junior race? I was in there battling.

    The pink sticker is a Motocross Action (sister mag to MBA) decal.

  10. #210
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Great pics. Any pics of the junior race? I was in there battling.

    The pink sticker is a Motocross Action (sister mag to MBA) decal.
    I don't have any pics of the Juniors. Was Jimi Killen in that race? Did you live in CO back then?

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickySilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Was that the year it rained so much at Helen, or was that the following year. For him to have ridden sections that everybody else had to hike is amazing. The course was soup.
    I'm talking about 95. If I remember right the year of mud at Helen was 96 and Tinker stomped everyone. The course was also different... the only year I know of that they started it up that big climb was 95.

    Back to the 96 mud race. I think I would have been happy to have soup but unfortunately it was the day after the rain and the sun was blazing. The mud turned to peanut butter and there was many places on the course where my wheels wouldn't even move. By the time the pros raced the next day the course was fast and tacky with only a couple mud holes.

  12. #212
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,865

    no wonder i couldnt find it

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Thread merge.
    spooky
    looking for 20-21" P team

  13. #213
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,230
    does anyone know tomac's height? i am curious about his bike fit/sizing.. i always wondered if he was riding big bikes and why.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  14. #214
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    does anyone know tomac's height? i am curious about his bike fit/sizing.. i always wondered if he was riding big bikes and why.

    He's about 5'10" I think.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I don't have any pics of the Juniors. Was Jimi Killen in that race? Did you live in CO back then?

    Yes, Jimi won. Unfortunately I wasnt able to do battle with him. I was in 4th for the first hour or so and faded to 7th at the end. I lived in CA then.

  16. #216
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    He's about 5'10" I think.
    I stood next to him once and he seemed an inch or two shorter than I. I'm 5'10". Could've been the shoes though.

  17. #217
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Yes, Jimi won. Unfortunately I wasnt able to do battle with him. I was in 4th for the first hour or so and faded to 7th at the end. I lived in CA then.
    That's right, Jimi was the first Junior World Champ.

    That I was spectating your race means I have seen you racing live before, and you rode within a few feet of me...almost twenty years ago. What a weird thought.

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    131

    My Raleigh Tomac

    This is my Raleigh Tomac,
    like the bike who won World Championship in Italy in '91,
    Only one difference, clear Tioga disk drive ( coming soon )
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #219
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    very nice andrea

  20. #220
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,230
    i would love to know the wheelbase from that bike..looks like a double 72 angle: head and seat.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  21. #221
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by alasa
    This is my Raleigh Tomac,
    like the bike who won World Championship in Italy in '91,
    Only one difference, clear Tioga disk drive ( coming soon )

    Glad to see you did the right thing by it.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    131

    Raleigh JT

    Thank you very much guys!!

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    84
    From www.tomac.com I followed a link to http://www.stphoto.com/oldsite/colle...tro/index.html
    It's an amazing and varied collection.

  24. #224
    bcd
    bcd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    674





  25. #225
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,897
    I have already posted most of my Tomac pix here, but since I have gone to the trouble of putting them all on a photo hosting site (along with a lot of my other photos), I'll just post the link.

  26. #226
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,897
    From the 1991 Tioga catalog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  27. #227
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,897
    Found this in a box of miscellaneous bike stuff. Probably taken around 1986.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  28. #228
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    JT autographed this for my 1 year old boy. My son loved to tag along with daddy in the expo/pit area.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  29. #229
    _____________
    Reputation: Cycleshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    219
    1992 woldcup






  30. #230
    bcd
    bcd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    674
    i read something or was told one time early on that tomac
    was wearing like 3 swatch watches from his sponsorship
    and missed the start of the race.

    anyone ever herd that? too funny.

  31. #231
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,897
    Quote Originally Posted by bcd
    i read something or was told one time early on that tomac
    was wearing like 3 swatch watches from his sponsorship
    and missed the start of the race.

    anyone ever herd that? too funny.
    I was the announcer at a MTB race at the Fetzer Winery near Hopland (Mendocino County) in 1989, and John missed the start, although I don't remember whether he was wearing a bunch of watches. I think I wrote about it in a column I had in one of the magazines and mentioned the irony of a guy with a watch sponsorship being late.

    The pack takes off, and a minute or two later, John comes flying past the starting line to catch them, which he did with apparently no trouble. I can't recall how he finished.

  32. #232
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621

    New Tomac Pics

    We haven't had any new Tomes pics in a while.

    Found these on Foromtb.
    Some cool pics of his Raleigh with drops.



















































    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  33. #233
    bcd
    bcd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    674
    WOW, killer post.

    some great moments here.

  34. #234
    moreon
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwing
    Tioga T-Bone ad - I like this one!

    -mtnwing
    I did that ad for Tioga back in the 90's.

  35. #235
    moreon
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss
    yea, good freeking bike design. thats why i still love riding mine. uh when i'm not singlespeeding like Mr.T

    so, is he riding the same bike in these pics, minus the flat bar/riser bar switch?

    he is the man.
    It's this bike. A 1994/95 Giant ATX 990 Team, built by Kastan.

    http://thinkcooper.com/Galleries/ATX...omac/index.htm


  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    awesome pics, Rumpfy!

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation: indian fire trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    164
    As Rumpfy said, he found those pictures here, at Foromtb (my nick there: Marinito):

    http://www.foromtb.com/showthread.php?t=189269

    plesase, check it out for more

    Cheers everyone!!!

  38. #238
    Calmer than you are.
    Reputation: The Royal We's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42
    I didnt know Dana Carvey raced for Yeti...

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    754
    There sure are a lot of pictures of Tomac with Tinker not far behind or right on his ass.

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    120

    drop bars

    I started riding in '89 and I have always loved drop bars. I quess JT made'm look cool. I have never owned a drop bar bike, I think that needs to change soon. I still think it looks cool. And I like the way my cross bike feels.
    le Cadre Custom Bicycles; www.lecadre-bicycles.com/wp

  41. #241
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    10th Anniversary Tomac bike. This was inspired by John's 1990 World's bike which was the famous Yeti C-26 with drop bars. Frame is steel and was built by former Yeti builder Chris Herting. Only 10 will be made. A really neat bike - the photos dont do it justice. I think my favorite part is the fork's graphics:

    <a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/?action=view&current=DSC06318-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/DSC06318-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

    <a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/?action=view&current=DSC06317-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/DSC06317-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

  42. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KDXdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,196
    I just found an old photo album!

    Attached is a pic I took of Tomac at Mt Snow in 90, ready to drop in to the slick VT singletrack.

    More tomes pics to follow!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  43. #243
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    I just found an old photo album!

    Attached is a pic I took of Tomac at Mt Snow in 90, ready to drop in to the slick VT singletrack.

    More tomes pics to follow!

    Nice!

    Look forward to more of those.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KDXdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,196
    Tomac: 91 Mt Snow. The Nike year!
    Lap 1 climb.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  45. #245
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,230
    Tomac could not care less for dropping top tubes.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  46. #246
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    Tomac: 91 Mt Snow. The Nike year!
    Lap 1 climb.

    nice pic. Tomac stomped everybody that day and rode so impressively.

    other riders in the pic: Tim Rutherford on the Ritchey, Jim Deaton and Rob Rupe in background, and I think thats the late Charlie Litsky on the far right in the funky Bula shorts.

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,944
    Whoa... I want one!

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KDXdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,196
    More JT from Mt Snow 91: Always charging downhill! The singletrack is pretty steep, Tomes just flew down much faster than anyone else, if memory serves correct.

    In the greasy downhill singletrack section there was this big off camber slippery bolder section, that had a steep slope down and right to left. Far left was the bottom, a narrow track that was chosen most, safe, but a conga line. Middle or top, if you hesitated, or braked on the rocksurface, you went down hard. This is where most locals hung out, to see the pros crash!

    JT just FLEW down the middle line so fast, gravity didn't have time to grab him.

    Hard to explain, I guess picture a rock skipping across the top of a pond.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  49. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    More JT from Mt Snow 91: Always charging downhill! The singletrack is pretty steep, Tomes just flew down much faster than anyone else, if memory serves correct.

    In the greasy downhill singletrack section there was this big off camber slippery bolder section, that had a steep slope down and right to left. Far left was the bottom, a narrow track that was chosen most, safe, but a conga line. Middle or top, if you hesitated, or braked on the rocksurface, you went down hard. This is where most locals hung out, to see the pros crash!

    JT just FLEW down the middle line so fast, gravity didn't have time to grab him.

    Hard to explain, I guess picture a rock skipping across the top of a pond.

    Im glad you were there to confirm what I witnessed that day. Those greasy, off camber rooty trails really seperated the men from the boys unlike the other more typical trails where Tomac was faster but not way faster. He sure was great fun to watch. Ive said it before, but thats when I realized that he was something special. He carried more than double the speed of anyone it seemed. I guess in the air its not off camber, greasy or slippery.

    I recall somewhere in that forest there like in the second pic there were probably 3-4 of us and we were cheering on all the XC guys by the wrong names. LIke for Ned we'd call him Ted and Darryl Price we'd call Carol, etc. It got them to crack up as they'd go by all tired and serious. Maybe you heard us in there.

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KDXdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,196
    I recall somewhere in that forest there like in the second pic there were probably 3-4 of us and we were cheering on all the XC guys by the wrong names. LIke for Ned we'd call him Ted and Darryl Price we'd call Carol, etc. It got them to crack up as they'd go by all tired and serious. Maybe you heard us in there
    It was fun to run around the woods from spot to spot. Wrong names? I think I was doing that too, but not on purpose!

    And in those days, it was a 3 event race, even for us amature: Uphill, Slalom and XC.

    And the Canadians who came down were a bunch of fun!

    Naked Crit anyone?

  51. #251
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KDXdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,196
    And yet more JT from Mt Snow, 1992.
    1:Before the start.
    2: On the climb.
    3: If jt is carrying the bike downhill, you know it's a tough spot.
    4: After the race.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  52. #252
    ...
    Reputation: ameybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,505
    94. Mt. Snow start line. The 'Experimental' Raleigh - has to be mentioned in the rarest of the rare.


  53. #253
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,685

    Massive thanks to Wes!

    Thanks Wes (& Jeff!), it wouldnt have happened without your massively appreciated help
    also thanks to carsten for the usual sound advice

    The frame I never thought I'd own:




  54. #254
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    Thanks Wes (& Jeff!), it wouldnt have happened without your massively appreciated help
    also thanks to carsten for the usual sound advice

    The frame I never thought I'd own:

    That doesnt look anything like John Tomac. (And I thought you already bought one of those?)

  55. #255
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    That doesnt look anything like John Tomac. (And I thought you already bought one of those?)
    sorry! I thought it was "on topic" after andrea's bike was merged into this thread a few pages back. I can delete if required

  56. #256
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    sorry! I thought it was "on topic" after andrea's bike was merged into this thread a few pages back. I can delete if required

    so thats why you asked about decals a while back...

    (I think Rumpfy moved the majority of alasa's thread into another if Im not mistaken, but no biggy.)

  57. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12

    some of my images

    collected over the years.

    enjoy...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  58. #258
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12

    raleigh ti

    c26 and raleigh ti
    Attached Images Attached Images

  59. #259
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by intensemark
    c26 and raleigh ti
    Nice, thats a cool clip right there.

    I'd like to know where/who has that JTR with the f'ing Halson fork on the front. Shame on them!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  60. #260
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12

    Jt On Rockshox

    Scotland?? Grundig
    Last edited by intensemark; 07-13-2008 at 03:23 AM.

  61. #261
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12

    Jt

    On Rockshox In Scotland?? Grundig Round.

    Plymouth Shot At Water Splash.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  62. #262
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12

    Jt At Plymouth

    Taken by me down the long finishing straight with the jumps to the arena.
    He was motoring !! LEGEND !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by intensemark; 07-13-2008 at 02:21 AM.

  63. #263
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12

    More Jt

    Cactus Cup
    &
    On Experimental
    Attached Images Attached Images

  64. #264
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12

    Jt Bell Advert

    +
    Tioga Disc Testing
    Attached Images Attached Images

  65. #265
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by intensemark
    +
    Tioga Disc Testing
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1260

    "YOU WILL SEE IT WAS USED FOR 15 HOURS (THE HOURS ARE WRITTEN ON THE DISC BY MY MECHANIC) I WOULD ONLY RACE ON THESE WHEELS FOR 30-40 HOURS, THEN RETIRE THEM AS THEY WOULD SOMETIMES GRENADE AFTER 50+ HOURS."

    grenade! classic tioga marketing put a positive light on it

  66. #266
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1260

    "YOU WILL SEE IT WAS USED FOR 15 HOURS (THE HOURS ARE WRITTEN ON THE DISC BY MY MECHANIC) I WOULD ONLY RACE ON THESE WHEELS FOR 30-40 HOURS, THEN RETIRE THEM AS THEY WOULD SOMETIMES GRENADE AFTER 50+ HOURS."

    grenade! classic tioga marketing put a positive light on it

    Classic!

    I can't imagine how hard he rode those wheels to have them blow up like that. I got hundreds of hours out of mine...granted they're not race miles and I'm a pu$sy.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  67. #267
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    21
    So, anybody taken delivery of their Tomac DB-10 yet? Hoping to get mine some time next month ----- got some hardly used Caramel Psycho's and hopefully a Tension Disc for the odd occasion ....

  68. #268
    Spaghetti biker
    Reputation: Bomber70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    42
    Hello,
    does anybody know which model was the Raleigh JT used in downhill back in 1992/1993?
    Better afoot than without My C'Dale

  69. #269
    ...
    Reputation: ameybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot
    So, anybody taken delivery of their Tomac DB-10 yet? Hoping to get mine some time next month ----- got some hardly used Caramel Psycho's and hopefully a Tension Disc for the odd occasion ....
    You must be a shorter individual. I saw your frame on the welding jig.

  70. #270
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,295
    was the same as the XC bike wasn't it? back when men were men and rode the same bike for XC and DH, like it should be...

  71. #271
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber70
    Hello,
    does anybody know which model was the Raleigh JT used in downhill back in 1992/1993?

    What Mik said. Pretty sure if was the same frame he used for XC.
    Late 93 and into 94 things might have changed.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  72. #272
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Classic!

    I can't imagine how hard he rode those wheels to have them blow up like that. I got hundreds of hours out of mine...granted they're not race miles and I'm a pu$sy.

    hmmm. maybe I better add up those numbers on the side of my wheel.

  73. #273
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    hmmm. maybe I better add up those numbers on the side of my wheel.

    Take it down Mailbox.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  74. #274
    Sometimes has attitude
    Reputation: Marzocchi Tech Department's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Heres another World Cup shot. Not sure which race but somewhere in Europe. This is the only race he ever did with drop bars on the Raleigh. The race after this one here was in the US and he didnt have time to set up his bike in the states with drop bars so he raced with flat bars. He liked it and never went back.

    His bars look a bit flared out. I wonder if hes running some Bridgestone (Nitto) Dirt Drops or perhaps the Specialized version. I dont recall the Yeti drops being flared at all.
    I remember these bars well. Johnny went to the Cenielli factory and had them custom made by the big bos himself.
    TR
    Ride Your Bike!

  75. #275
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzocchi Tech Department
    I remember these bars well. Johnny went to the Cenielli factory and had them custom made by the big bos himself.
    TR

    yeah, I have a couple pair of them actually now and got a set for Joel (from a friend now in Germany) for the new Tomac C-26 throwback bike.

    Rumpfy just put a set on his new Goat road bike as well if you saw that thread.

  76. #276
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzocchi Tech Department
    I remember these bars well. Johnny went to the Cenielli factory and had them custom made by the big bos himself.
    TR

    And they're wide as all get out.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  77. #277
    Sometimes has attitude
    Reputation: Marzocchi Tech Department's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    700
    Here are two photos I have of Johnny back in the day.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride Your Bike!

  78. #278
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: Michael Staab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    132
    Here's a video of Julie Furtado and John Tomac at the 1990 Worlds

    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=rbWR4uhebeY&fmt=18


    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Staab; 08-23-2008 at 07:22 AM.

  79. #279
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    It was fun to run around the woods from spot to spot. Wrong names? I think I was doing that too, but not on purpose!

    And in those days, it was a 3 event race, even for us amature: Uphill, Slalom and XC.

    And the Canadians who came down were a bunch of fun!

    Naked Crit anyone?

    i remember that - my buddy (at the time) kaz won it (or one of them) in 93.

  80. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    nice video, Staabi. Tomac flatted which is why he dropped back so far.

  81. #281
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    And yet more JT from Mt Snow, 1992.

    3: If jt is carrying the bike downhill, you know it's a tough spot.
    .
    Didn't Tomac nail a fan while cruising the singletrack and wound up snapping off one of his brake bosses?

  82. #282
    Spaghetti biker
    Reputation: Bomber70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    What Mik said. Pretty sure if was the same frame he used for XC.
    Late 93 and into 94 things might have changed.
    Right, could you let me know for sure?
    You see, I found only a couple pictures of the man bulletting downhill with what looks like the same frame as the one he used for XC, and then a picture (but only one )of him on a full-suspended Raleigh; which model was it? And when He raced it?

    Again many thanks for your answer.
    Better afoot than without My C'Dale

  83. #283
    gmoney was gmoneybike
    Reputation: ghashmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwing
    Cool pics DoubleDiamond. Thanks for sharing!
    Yeah I was there at Spokane witnessing the big boys. I think thats Rishi Grewal in the background. Could be mistaken...14 years is a long time.
    Were looking at balz

  84. #284
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber70
    Right, could you let me know for sure?
    You see, I found only a couple pictures of the man bulletting downhill with what looks like the same frame as the one he used for XC, and then a picture (but only one )of him on a full-suspended Raleigh; which model was it? And when He raced it?

    Again many thanks for your answer.
    dunno for
    sure, but wasn't that black? build by bradbury just before tomac went to giant and they took the bike with them to become the 990? when hew started with the skin suit?

  85. #285
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,295
    in fact see the last post on page one of this thread...

  86. #286
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,295
    question: in 93 or 94 tomac was in australia, did the nationals i think and he rode just the regular ti raleighs, anyone got any pics, i used to have some, but cannot find them for looking...

    question 2: someone out there had a pic, that i think from memory owned them all, bit it had a i think a yeti, tomac ti/carbon and a tomac buckshot 00, and more, just wondering, how they ride and compare, jst out of interest of bikes i will never get to see, let alone ride...

  87. #287
    Spaghetti biker
    Reputation: Bomber70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git
    dunno for
    sure, but wasn't that black? build by bradbury just before tomac went to giant and they took the bike with them to become the 990? when hew started with the skin suit?
    Yes, in this thread I found two pictures of JT in black skin suit on the front suspended frame, and then one of him, again in skin suit on a black full susp. Raleigh...
    So, you are saying that that one bike was built by bradbury and then turned in a 990 Giant? Did I understand well?
    Better afoot than without My C'Dale

  88. #288
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,295
    well thats how i understand it, but could be wrong, bradbury built the original used when at raleigh, but jsut the design went to giant, there was also the giant with the under downtube shock...

    that full suspension raleigh was late 93 i think...

  89. #289
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Another one found on the net.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  90. #290
    ...
    Reputation: ameybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,505
    My favorite thread. Nice roostmaster shot. Chapman still looks the same.

  91. #291
    The Anchor
    Reputation: the anchor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    53
    mount snow 1992?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  92. #292
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    962

    1990 Worlds fotos

    I took a few Johnny T 90 World's photos to Interbike and showed them to Joel and the Tomac crew at their booth........drop bars and early Manitou suspension AND the cool Tioga disc rear wheel! . I will try and scan them for this thread.

  93. #293
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    I took a few Johnny T 90 World's photos to Interbike and showed them to Joel and the Tomac crew at their booth........drop bars and early Manitou suspension AND the cool Tioga disc rear wheel! . I will try and scan them for this thread.
    Please do, we'd love to see em'!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  94. #294
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Found this. These were the days:
    <a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/?action=view&current=DSC02699-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/DSC02699-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

  95. #295
    VRC Hound
    Reputation: bushpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Found this. These were the days:
    <a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/?action=view&current=DSC02699-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/threadedtitanium/DSC02699-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

    Cool. My fave Tomac bike.

  96. #296
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Richard Roma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    55

    MT Snow 1992?

    I think he DNF'ed that day? It was a long time ago and I don't remember much from that day. However, one thing that I remember clearly is that he was so much faster everyone else on the very technical, rocky section of the downhill. It wasn't even close.....and the disc wheel made a very cool sound.

    Scan_051.jpg

  97. #297
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    More for the mix.



    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  98. #298
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,295
    ahhh... i love this thread...

  99. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    I'll try two pics in one post here. Both are 93, the first I dont know where it is, the second is Durango Ironhorse Classic.
    I think the first shot is Deer Valley national, it was alos a Grundig WC.

  100. #300
    iRonic
    Reputation: GlassTrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    304

    Moving pictures....

    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ETziC9oBtM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ETziC9oBtM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Ron

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1/8" spoke thread showing - bad?
    By old_dude in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 02:46 PM
  2. Read and Unread thread headings....
    By Monte in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
  3. Read and Unread thread headings....
    By Monte in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 09:50 AM
  4. Reply to message / Reply to thread -???
    By micstew in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 02:42 PM
  5. Rate the Thread
    By george_da_trog in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 11:25 AM

Members who have read this thread: 11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •