Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 1016
  1. #1
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,187

    Official GT Thread

    Anyone out there have any Xizangs, Zaskars or Pyclones (or whatever they were called)?? I loved those frames... never had any...

    OK so i love the signature tomac, and my yeti and fats... but realy this is my all time fav frame...:

    (hope its not too big)


    Last edited by mik_git; 02-27-2005 at 08:44 AM.

  2. #2
    mwr
    mwr is offline
    brain donor
    Reputation: mwr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    437
    I have a first year Xizang exactly like that one, but currently fitted with a later (~97) Marzocchi Bomber. I have a lot of vintage bikes but the Xiz is the one I ride all the time. They're great.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    94
    I have a 1992 Team Avalanche. This was the steel frame version that came with XTR M-900. I rode that bike 1000s of miles... Still loving it.

  4. #4
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,850
    Quote Originally Posted by sallen
    I have a 1992 Team Avalanche. This was the steel frame version that came with XTR M-900. I rode that bike 1000s of miles... Still loving it.
    I used to have a '91 Team Avalanche. No longer own it though.

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/me/pics/bikes/104_0483.JPG">
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Has anyone ever heard Rishi go by at full throttle?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldFatDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    37

    I have one too..

    But...it's a Timberline, all steel frame and Shimano Deore components...I really love this bike, I even want to upgrade it/modify it to an urban assault/commuter...But...

    Where can I find old pull brakes?...or a 7-speed cassette and derailleurs ??

    I'll post a pic tomorrow..
    2002 K2 Zed Team HT. Silver.

  7. #7
    mwr
    mwr is offline
    brain donor
    Reputation: mwr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Has anyone ever heard Rishi go by at full throttle?
    Why, did he make funny sounds?

  8. #8
    mwr
    mwr is offline
    brain donor
    Reputation: mwr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatDan
    Where can I find old pull brakes?...or a 7-speed cassette and derailleurs ??
    You can usually find all that stuff on ebay.

  9. #9
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,613
    You're in luck Mik...now if you can just get him to ship to you....

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7138497358
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  10. #10
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,187
    AAWWEE!!! too bad i just bought a house, my girlfriend woul;d kill me...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by mwr
    Why, did he make funny sounds?
    Ya, hopefully someone will chime in thats heard him. I think its on the exhale he lets out a kind of high pitch sound. Almost like girls tennis but higher pitched. Kinda hard to put into text. Definitely distinct. You can hear him coming and going.

    I asked him about it a few years ago and he started laughing about it and said people ask him if thats his normal deal all the time. He said thats what happens when hes going hard... Hes a real nice guy. He and his wife. He used to go pretty darn good back in the day!

  12. #12
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Ya, hopefully someone will chime in thats heard him. I think its on the exhale he lets out a kind of high pitch sound. Almost like girls tennis but higher pitched. Kinda hard to put into text. Definitely distinct. You can hear him coming and going.

    I asked him about it a few years ago and he started laughing about it and said people ask him if thats his normal deal all the time. He said thats what happens when hes going hard... Hes a real nice guy. He and his wife. He used to go pretty darn good back in the day!
    I'll have to have you do a reenactment next time I see you.

    Tammi Jaques still his wife? I always thought she was mildly hot.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  13. #13
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,880
    here is some stuff that I needed an excuse to post.

    Couple of items from amongst the hundreds of POS's at our last police bike auction.

    Saw this and had to have it. Vicious bidding war ensued and I had to fork out 27 bucks to take it home.
    24" BMX GT


    This was the sleeper, we knew that under a thick coat of spray paint (the painter didn't miss a spot, got tires, cassette, hubs, spokes, etc.) it was a GT, Alu, 7 sp. XT, Mag 21, our fingers were crossed that it was a Zaskar. Late in the auction so fatigue had set in and we got it for 25. Some of the spray job had been removed in this shot, and a few parts switched so we could take it for a spin, but you get the idea.


    Turns out it was an avalanche. We stripped, polished it, and scored a sticker set.


    Good friend and infamous Boulder Army Store patriarch ripping it up on the finished product. Probably never been ridden like this before.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: logbiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,822
    check harriscyclery.com for that kind o' stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatDan
    But...it's a Timberline, all steel frame and Shimano Deore components...I really love this bike, I even want to upgrade it/modify it to an urban assault/commuter...But...

    Where can I find old pull brakes?...or a 7-speed cassette and derailleurs ??

    I'll post a pic tomorrow..


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'll have to have you do a reenactment next time I see you.

    Tammi Jaques still his wife? I always thought she was mildly hot.
    Ya Tammi is his wife. They had a little girl. With both of them as parents their kids should put out some horsepower!
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 04-03-2014 at 03:57 PM.

  16. #16
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,480
    My "old" GT. 2000 STS1000 DS. Sold it a few years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing to see here.

  17. #17
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Ya Tammi is his wife. Atleast 2-3 years ago. They had a little girl. With both of them as parents their kids should put out some horsepower!
    Good genes.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldFatDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    37

    This is my late 80's Timberline...

    Let's see if this works out...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I used to have a '91 Team Avalanche. No longer own it though.

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/me/pics/bikes/104_0483.JPG">

    Why did GT hold on to the U-brake thing for so long? Its my least favorite part of my team avalanche....

    BTW - My first mountain bike was a 1988 GT Tequesta with Suntour XCE

  20. #20
    RIDE
    Reputation: Built4Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    586

    GT Karakorum K2

    I'm not sure how old this one is but I'm thinking about 1987/88,all Suntour XCE. I found this one in a pile of bikes on the side of the street,dumped there by a home owner cleaning out his backyard.
    I cleaned it up and pumped the tires and she was ready to go.But during a recent ride the bottom bracket started to make really loud grinding noises sounding like a mountain lion in heat. It just happened to be at the same trail where a mountain lion was spotted a week earlier. I'm pretty sure the trail users weren't amused.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death'
    http://fotki.com/vintagemtbr/

    Joe R.

  21. #21
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,766
    Quote Originally Posted by sallen
    Why did GT hold on to the U-brake thing for so long? Its my least favorite part of my team avalanche....
    Because they were more powerful than cantilevers and in a sensible location on the seatstays they worked well. It was putting them on the chainstays (usually under them) which earned them a bad rep. Cantilevers were more powerful than say, V-brakes, but less so than U's, so GT only ran rear U-brakes lest customers launch themselves over the bars via locking up front brake/wheel.

    The comical part to v-brakes for me is that they've basically totally killed off brake booster sales/production. Back in cantilever/u-brake days, you almost HAD to have a booster plate to keep from breaking your fork/frame. Now with V's, no need for them anymore. Yet people insist v's are more powerful. LOL.

    A guy I know repeatedly BENT brake studs on frames/forks whenever he tried running a Scott Pedersen SE brake without a booster.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  22. #22
    President, CEO of Earth
    Reputation: TobyNobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,001

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Now im sad

    Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed
    I'm not sure how old this one is but I'm thinking about 1987/88,all Suntour XCE. I found this one in a pile of bikes on the side of the street,dumped there by a home owner cleaning out his backyard.
    I cleaned it up and pumped the tires and she was ready to go.But during a recent ride the bottom bracket started to make really loud grinding noises sounding like a mountain lion in heat. It just happened to be at the same trail where a mountain lion was spotted a week earlier. I'm pretty sure the trail users weren't amused.

    I got a Karakorum in the mid '90s. Put a bomber z3 on it, raceface cranks, WTB rims... Best fitting and one of the best riding bikes I'd ever been on. I got it because I thought it was a tough-ass bike that would last me forever. In Thunder Bay there ware always about 10 old ones I would see from time to time that were destined for a third decade of heavy use. SURPRISE!!! Mine broke at the chainstay about two-and-a-half years later. GT had then discontinued the Karakorum and I wound up with an ill-fitting backwoods frame.

    Take care of that baby. And if its too big, send it to me. I still miss my baby
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Because they were more powerful than cantilevers and in a sensible location on the seatstays they worked well. It was putting them on the chainstays (usually under them) which earned them a bad rep. Cantilevers were more powerful than say, V-brakes, but less so than U's, so GT only ran rear U-brakes lest customers launch themselves over the bars via locking up front brake/wheel.

    The comical part to v-brakes for me is that they've basically totally killed off brake booster sales/production. Back in cantilever/u-brake days, you almost HAD to have a booster plate to keep from breaking your fork/frame. Now with V's, no need for them anymore. Yet people insist v's are more powerful. LOL.

    A guy I know repeatedly BENT brake studs on frames/forks whenever he tried running a Scott Pedersen SE brake without a booster.

    That's funny... my main issue back in the day was that there wasn;t a huge selection of U-brakes available... I did end up with the scott brake though! =) it was a bit hard to set up... but once it was... it rocked!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975

    yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Has anyone ever heard Rishi go by at full throttle?
    I watched him smoke the field at the Traverse City, MI NORBA Nat'l back in 1991. Very impressive win on a dry dusty course.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Go Kart Motzart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Because they were more powerful than cantilevers and in a sensible location on the seatstays they worked well. It was putting them on the chainstays (usually under them) which earned them a bad rep. Cantilevers were more powerful than say, V-brakes, but less so than U's, so GT only ran rear U-brakes lest customers launch themselves over the bars via locking up front brake/wheel.
    You're kidding right? GT held on to U-brakes because of their triple triangle frame. Your heel would have hit canti's due to the much lower chainstays. U-Brakes were ok, but not even in the same universe as a set of Vee's.

    My contribution below...



  26. #26
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,091

    Old GT's

    Here's my old Backwoods. All Alivio running gear. A '93 I think.


    Less isn't MOAR

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    You're kidding right? GT held on to U-brakes because of their triple triangle frame. Your heel would have hit canti's due to the much lower chainstays. U-Brakes were ok, but not even in the same universe as a set of Vee's.

    My contribution below...


    You'rre kidding right? Gt used U-brakes in the rear because it was the best brake for the rear end of a bike at the time, especially when mounted up top. Some think it still is. When weight became an issue and lower profile canti's became available they switched. Originally Shimano didn't make canti's in more than one size. Then the v's came along.

    My contribution below...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    36
    .....
    Last edited by oldmtbr; 10-09-2006 at 09:21 AM.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975

    lots of nice Karakorams out there!

    Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    I got a Karakorum in the mid '90s. Put a bomber z3 on it, raceface cranks, WTB rims... Best fitting and one of the best riding bikes I'd ever been on. I got it because I thought it was a tough-ass bike that would last me forever. In Thunder Bay there ware always about 10 old ones I would see from time to time that were destined for a third decade of heavy use. SURPRISE!!! Mine broke at the chainstay about two-and-a-half years later. GT had then discontinued the Karakorum and I wound up with an ill-fitting backwoods frame.

    Take care of that baby. And if its too big, send it to me. I still miss my baby
    You need to check craigslist and ebay often. There's lots of nice Karakorams out there. Even some NOS frames. What size do you need?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    You need to check craigslist and ebay often. There's lots of nice Karakorams out there. Even some NOS frames. What size do you need?
    I've been watching ebay for years looking for one of those red Karakorams like Go Kart's. Actually, I've been looking prety much since I sold mine in 92. Dumb move...
    I'd buy a 16" if I found one. Would also grab the 91 Avalanche with the "Daktari white" finish. That was the bike I wanted but couldn't afford, so I got the Karakoram instead.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    I've been watching ebay for years looking for one of those red Karakorams like Go Kart's. Actually, I've been looking prety much since I sold mine in 92. Dumb move...
    I'd buy a 16" if I found one. Would also grab the 91 Avalanche with the "Daktari white" finish. That was the bike I wanted but couldn't afford, so I got the Karakoram instead.

    Isn't that black reynolds Karakoram frame in the mtbr classifieds a 16" it's only like $69 NOS

  32. #32
    bikespotter
    Reputation: retrobikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    103
    Found some pics of past GT's ..............now sadly long gone

    GT karakoram elite..............

    GT karakoram.............

    And one frame I just got, and might keep, GT zaskar LE Red annodized........



  33. #33
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed
    I'm not sure how old this one is but I'm thinking about 1987/88,all Suntour XCE. I found this one in a pile of bikes on the side of the street,dumped there by a home owner cleaning out his backyard.
    I cleaned it up and pumped the tires and she was ready to go.But during a recent ride the bottom bracket started to make really loud grinding noises sounding like a mountain lion in heat. It just happened to be at the same trail where a mountain lion was spotted a week earlier. I'm pretty sure the trail users weren't amused.
    Based on components and the purple pearl, I am pretty sure it is an 89 or 90. IIRC the 88, which was the first year of production of Mtn bikes for GT, had Deore on it. Plus the 88 had either a red or black/white crackled paint finish.

    I had the first GT Avalanche sold in Atlanta. Actually, we were one of the first GT Mtn bike dealers in that area and we sold the snot out of them. I'll scan a picture of it later and post it up. By the time I took the picture it had lost its GT cranks in favor of 185mm Bullseyes and featured a few other tastie pieces from that era. I actually wish I still owned it, but it went away so I could get a first generation Skunk Works M2. Big disappointment.
    Last edited by IF52; 01-27-2006 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Isn't that black reynolds Karakoram frame in the mtbr classifieds a 16" it's only like $69 NOS
    I don't see that ad. Is it still listed?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: filegiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by sallen
    Why did GT hold on to the U-brake thing for so long? Its my least favorite part of my team avalanche....

    BTW - My first mountain bike was a 1988 GT Tequesta with Suntour XCE
    I'm with DeeEight. One of my favorite things about the earlier GTs were that they stuck with the u-brake stud (making the swap to a rollercam possible). I'm still watching for an early 16" Xizang with the u-brake studs. To each their own I guess...

  36. #36
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    How were you all able to run rollercams on the rear? I ran a set on the front on my '88 Avalanche, but there wasn't enough room to properly route the cable for roller cams on the rear. And that was on a 20" frame mind you.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Williwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobikeguy
    Found some pics of past GT's ..............now sadly long gone

    GT karakoram elite..............

    GT karakoram.............

    And one frame I just got, and might keep, GT zaskar LE Red annodized........



    ugliest lot of bikes ever............to each his own is right...............yuck!!

    no offense to you all

    Will

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: filegiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    How were you all able to run rollercams on the rear? I ran a set on the front on my '88 Avalanche, but there wasn't enough room to properly route the cable for roller cams on the rear. And that was on a 20" frame mind you.
    You had to run a cable on each side of the cam to keep it from pulling to the side, but it worked great. XCD-6000s in particular worked great.

  39. #39
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    Hmm, that's what I figured you did. I tried it and didn't really like the way the cable loop clamped onto the cam so I gave up and stuck with U brakes on the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Hmm, that's what I figured you did. I tried it and didn't really like the way the cable loop clamped onto the cam so I gave up and stuck with U brakes on the rear.

    A toggle cam would be the answer here. A roller cam would be a mess on a GT.

    I dont think U brakes have more power than a properly set up canti either. U brakes have less leverage as is seen by the large amounts of pad clearance.

    Heres a pic of the toggle cam. It works well being pulled from off center. The toggle cam is by far the best rim brake Ive ever experienced bar none.

    http://homepage.mac.com/halaburt/.Pi...2008.41.43%20-
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 01-29-2006 at 12:08 PM.

  41. #41
    crankbrother
    Reputation: imadjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15






    I don't remember where I stole theese pictures, but it's a pretty Xizang anyway

  42. #42
    over researcher
    Reputation: royta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,163
    Check out this dandy 1994 Zaskar.



    See the rest of the bike here.

  43. #43
    over researcher
    Reputation: royta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,163
    I have a buddy with a 1994 Karakoram with probably less than 1000 miles on it. Rigid forks, LX hardware. Beautiful white bike.

  44. #44
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    29,484
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    My "old" GT. 2000 STS1000 DS. Sold it a few years ago.
    Nice bike but you are mistaking it for a year 2000'. When it is actually a 1997 or 1998'. The years 1999'-2000' were I-Drives.

  45. #45
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    I hadn't seen a GT mountain bike in years until this past week, when I had 2 Zaskars and a LTS all hanging in the shop at the same time for tune-ups , and now this thread. Never could stand them myself, but they looked cool (sorta).

  46. #46
    espresso lover
    Reputation: Frankie - B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    138
    My two GT's.

    A Zaskar and a Backwoods. The zaskar still is the main race bike. That is why it has some new school stuff on it. The Backwoods is set up as SS and brings me to my work!
    There is a xzizang at the lbs that I'd like to have...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No cool signature...

  47. #47
    bikespotter
    Reputation: retrobikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    ugliest lot of bikes ever............to each his own is right...............yuck!!

    no offense to you all

    Will
    Non taken, just an individuals taste I suppose ! Yuck !!............bless his little cotton socks

  48. #48
    acoustic motorbike
    Reputation: apexspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    166
    An old photo of my first mountain bike, a '93 Team Scream painted Bravado LE (chro-moly). It was too small for me, and I wound up getting rid of it for a larger Fat Chance Yo Eddy, but I would still like to have this bike again. If anyone knows of where to find this frame in an 18", I'd be all over it...

    Last edited by apexspeed; 05-13-2006 at 08:54 PM.
    .
    2003 Serotta Fierte Cyclocross
    2008 Turner Flux
    2000 Gunnar Rockhound


  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    38
    93 Avalanche AL


  50. #50
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,156
    hmmm.. 90 gt karakoram. my 1st serious bike. suntour xcd, painted blue. beautifull. and the fit was the best i ever had in a bike.. what is it that GTs give such a good fit? they are kind of ritchey like in numbers aren't they? btw.. that karakoram weighed a ton.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    68
    here's my babe.... still riding here today. solid bit of kit!


  52. #52
    acoustic motorbike
    Reputation: apexspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    166
    OOoooh, a mango Flite. Nice saddle—very tough to find. I have two lime green ones, myself.


    Does anyone else see old GTs becomming popular among the vintage crowd in the near future, because EVERYONE seemed to own one at some point? I think that's the strongest vibe in vintage collecting of anything—the fact that you try to re-acquire what you once had and enjoyed.

    I know that drives a lot of my collection, for sure.
    .
    2003 Serotta Fierte Cyclocross
    2008 Turner Flux
    2000 Gunnar Rockhound


  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    68
    rare? didnt know that. all i do know is that without padded shorts its a very uncomfy saddle for my 177lb weight!!

    tbh, i love my bike - love the geometry. loads of people over here are getting back into hardtails for some reason - GT's are picking up - mind you, there's some good kit on ebay. and a lot of fake zaskar LE's!!!

    i've had mine since about 98 i think. bad practice i know, but still on original cables and hubs / BB still original. even had an offer for my front hub, the GT own brand one, by a guy at the LBS! says it looks mint!

    very proud of my baby. got a couple of maxxis holy rollers on order and at some point i'll be giving my indy s's their first service. would love new forks but finances wont allow ( donations welcomed!!!

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpick915's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    156
    I have just pulled out my old ('88 or '89) Timberline for conversion to a commuter bike. This baby had the U-brake mounted under the chainstays (really bad idea), front cantilever, biopace crankset, exage trail shifters (SIS rear/friction front) and brake levers, and a whopping 18-speeds. Everything is still original, with the exception of the crankset (even though I didn't know any better I always hated the biopace), tires (I do have a set of Specialized Ground Control Black Max 26x1.95 tires from approximately the same time period), chain, and seat. I will try to remember to post some pictures if I get around to it.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    41

    Here's my 90's Zixang

    Cool to have one with half and half frame. Very cool riding bike stiff as $%^t.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  56. #56
    bikespotter
    Reputation: retrobikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    103

    Good job!

    Cool to have one with half and half frame. Very cool riding bike stiff as $%^t.
    Lovin them 1/2'n'1/2 xizangs, and great condition too with original XT
    Wanted -girvin cranks, tubular steel - not the standard alloy ones

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sylvain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    126
    '98 Zaskar LE converted to SS commuter - love that frame:



  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    27

    1991 GT Avalanche DX/XT with pic >>>>



    1991 GT Avalanche all original parts less tires, barends, waterbottle cages, and toe clips. All the other parts on it suprisingly are the original parts when I bought it in 1992. I have it apart for cleaning now and intend to replace the worn parts, cables etc.

    Really like the Daktari White GT Paint scheme which was only available on this DX/XT equipt model. A little bit on the hefty side .....but hey so am I.

    A bit of a unique model year in that the frame and fork is constructed with Prestige Concept tubing. The GT stem has a detachable face and will "flip flop" as GT terms it to provide more a upright cruiser position if desired. Also the famous rear Shimano DX U Brake and including the adjustable fork dropouts that allow one to increase or decrease the wheelbase of the bike by about 2cm.

    This one will really clean up nice. I intend to keep it as close to how I bought it new. I'll post better pics when I am done.

    Rob
    Last edited by pipelock; 04-11-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: no title

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2
    Greetings All

    I've got a 1989 GT Avalanche -- components are ALL the same ones that were on the bike the day I purchased it brand new from a dealer in Honolulu, HI -- with less than 10 hours total riding time. There's not a thing wrong with it, aside from loss of air in the tires & the chain oil having dried a bit over the years.

    It's a great bike, I just couldn't get comfortable riding it -- or ANY bike -- due to having been in one severe bike wreck at age 4 (got crushed under a grown man, broke my nose, road rash face, mangled ankle...) and another at age 11 (multiple compound fractured arm that almost had to be amputated & required several surgeries...). Anxieties & stress overshadow any sense of pleasure from biking for me. No self-pity intended here, I'm really cool with it being that way, especially since there's more love-to-do/PTSD-free stuff to do than I'll ever have time for anyway.

    I'm FINALLY thinking of selling my bike. I'd prefer not to part with it because it has considerable aesthetic appeal to me (LOVE that triple triangle frame!) but money is wayyyyy tight at present.

    Thing is I have NO idea what my bike is worth now, what I could reasonably expect to sell it for and what the best options of how/where to go about selling it might be.

    Think full price on the bike was about $1100.

    Any insights, tips, guidance, opinions and/or general information would be DEEPLY appreciated.

    Respectfully,
    Jeanette
    Last edited by Rumpfy; 05-10-2006 at 11:19 PM.

  60. #60
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,613
    Quote Originally Posted by tompahpe
    Greetings All

    I've got a 1989 GT Avalanche -- components are ALL the same ones that were on the bike the day I purchased it brand new from a dealer in Honolulu, HI -- with less than 10 hours total riding time. There's not a thing wrong with it, aside from loss of air in the tires & the chain oil having dried a bit over the years.

    It's a great bike, I just couldn't get comfortable riding it -- or ANY bike -- due to having been in one severe bike wreck at age 4 (got crushed under a grown man, broke my nose, road rash face, mangled ankle...) and another at age 11 (multiple compound fractured arm that almost had to be amputated & required several surgeries...). Anxieties & stress overshadow any sense of pleasure from biking for me. No self-pity intended here, I'm really cool with it being that way, especially since there's more love-to-do/PTSD-free stuff to do than I'll ever have time for anyway.

    I'm FINALLY thinking of selling my bike. I'd prefer not to part with it because it has considerable aesthetic appeal to me (LOVE that triple triangle frame!) but money is wayyyyy tight at present.

    Thing is I have NO idea what my bike is worth now, what I could reasonably expect to sell it for and what the best options of how/where to go about selling it might be.

    Think full price on the bike was about $1100.

    Any insights, tips, guidance, opinions and/or general information would be DEEPLY appreciated.

    Respectfully,
    Jeanette
    Just so you know...'for sale' type posts are not allowed in the MTBR.com forums...and your post is looking a lot like a sales pitch...

    Put it on eBay for $99 and let it ride.
    Put it on your local craigslist.
    Or put it in the MTBR.com classifieds.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alohachiimoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    236
    Have anyone seen 1990 Team Avalanche?(not just Avalanche)

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2

    Clarification on GT Avalanche Post

    Sorry my post looked like a sales pitch! I'm new to this forum and didn't even know posting bikes for sale is a no-no -- I was absolutely sincere about THINKING about selling my bike & that I'm seeking INFORMATION. Only trying to educate myself here, that's all. My hope was to hear from some GT savvy members because attempts to get info from local bike shops & Pacific Cycles (took over GT in 2001) proved fruitless and I know there are a lot of passionate mountain bikers out there with enough knowledge on about any aspect of bikes to fill an encyclopedia set devoted to the subject.

    What would help a lot would be stuff like hearing what other people sold old GTs for, if perhaps it's smarter NOT to sell it (i.e., possible higher value in the future as a collectible, which there's been some speculating about on these forums)...the kind of stuff that might help me avoid total stupidity & regret in deciding what to do/how to do it...and if it's worth doing anything at all in the first place!

    Also, I brought the bike up from the basement & noted more details, as given below. I'd like to ask whether or not these details impact what the bike might be worth.

    FRAME:
    GT Avalanche
    All Terra
    Prestige CR-MO
    Double-Butted Tubes
    Tange

    SERIAL NUMBER:
    17267 0061
    (last four digits are upside down, or maybe it's the first set & I read them upside down!)

    WHEELS(??):
    Shimano Deore DX

    RIMS:
    Araya RM-17

    TIRES:
    Ritchey MegaBite 26x2.0

    SHIFTERS:
    Shimano Deore DX

    BRAKES:
    Shimano Deore STI / SLR (? unsure what this means)

    CRANKS:
    Shimano Deore

    PEDALS:
    Sakae Low Fat

    STRAPS:
    GT

    SEAT:
    GT Super Soft

    Lastly I could be wrong on the year, there's a registration sticker (required in Hawaii) dated 1991 so it's possible the bike was made anywhere between 1987 & 1991...not sure if it matters although seems strange to be unable to say how old the bike is IF I do decide to try selling it.

    If anyone could help with KNOWLEDGE about this bike, I'd be very grateful.

    Respectfully,
    Jeanette K

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    27

    Response to GT Avalanche ID Help

    Here is my 1991 Avalanche. The most obvious way to date these is by the original paint scheme according to the factory brochure for 1991 (don't have it and if any former could scan one please pm me).

    This pic I took a couple of months ago. Since then I have disassembled and cleaning it part by part. I have put in about five hours of work so far only half way complete.

    As far as value goes, I have not seen others sell so "no comment". Keep it and ride it! There great and hard to find anything like it.

    More pics when I complete this cow.

    " width="549">

  64. #64
    acoustic motorbike
    Reputation: apexspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    166
    Pipelock, I believe I have the original splatter painted flip-flop GT stem for your Av. I think it would look better on your bike than in my parts box...
    Last edited by apexspeed; 04-08-2015 at 11:30 AM.

  65. #65
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    They're not exactly vintage, but I've got a '94 GT RTS-3 full suspension bike (purple and silver!) that was my first mountain bike and a '98 GT Lightning ti. hardtail that was my second mountain bike. I've always had an affinity for GT since my BMX days (late 70's/early 80's). I'll try to get some pics and get them up here for everybody .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  66. #66
    acoustic motorbike
    Reputation: apexspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    166
    Forgot to post the "new" GT project in here... '95/96-ish Psyclone




    The direction of the build seems to be jumping all over the map for me right now. Not sure where to take it exactly.
    .
    2003 Serotta Fierte Cyclocross
    2008 Turner Flux
    2000 Gunnar Rockhound


  67. #67
    Rubber Side Usually Down
    Reputation: Mr Crudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    201

    My 92 Avalanche

    Hi All,

    Here's my Avalanche that I've had since new.

    The original 3D forks have been swapped to Quardra 5s then to Manitou 4s (after realising how crap the Quadra 5s were). The flip flop stem has been swapped after it cracked but the rest is fairly original and still in great condition for its age.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    Kicking myself for not keeping my original Avalanche LE prestige bike. Man those bike were great. Crudley you've done a great job keeping yours up. Congrats!

  69. #69
    Rubber Side Usually Down
    Reputation: Mr Crudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Kicking myself for not keeping my original Avalanche LE prestige bike. Man those bike were great. Crudley you've done a great job keeping yours up. Congrats!
    Gee thanks. In hindsight the earlier GTs had alot of character and are well thought out. I have thought about selling the Avalanche in the past but I just couldn't let it go.

    All the little GT extras like the groove tubes, the stamped top tube butt, ovalised tubing and adjustable fork rakes. Who really cares if they worked, they are cool additions. I almost bought a Marin Eldridge Grade at the time but who can resist a triple triangle and a wierd paint job ?

    My move to the land of dually on an early Santa Cruz Heckler helped to save it. That bike is another story and highly recommended for putting a big goofy smile on your face ....
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Has anyone ever heard Rishi go by at full throttle?
    Yes Norba Nat'l in Traverse City, Michigan he smoked everyone that day. Wasn't even a race, I think he won by over 6 minutes.

  71. #71
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,613
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Yes Norba Nat'l in Traverse City, Michigan he smoked everyone that day. Wasn't even a race, I think he won by over 6 minutes.
    I think I have that one on tape. Fat Tire Journal!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Building up a 1993 Xizang

    So I bought my original dream frame from back in the day...a pretty clean 1993 (I think) Xizang.

    Do I need to use a U-Brake? I tried to quickly put some V-brakes on but they didn't want to seat properly.

    Thanks!

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    It depends upon the frame size. I believe the 14.5 and maybe 16" frames stayed U-brake for a yr or two after they switched to canti's due to heel clearance issues with the canti's sticking out past the seat stays. All the 93 models shown in the 1993 GT catalog show cantilever brakes. I don't think V-brakes hit the scene until around 96. Canti's and V-brakes fit the same boss location on the frame. U-brake bosses only take u-brakes. Does the positioning look correct for the v-brake to hit the rim? If so, use a fine enery cloth on the post. I remember them being a tad snug at times. Make sure to grease the brake post also.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    In the 1992 catalog, every bike has a rear U-brake, in 93 none of them do. The 93 Xizang had XTR cantis.

    Do the brake bosses have the 3 holes along side for the spring pin to fit into? If they do, they were made for cantis, the GTs with U-brakes would be missing them. Also, the location of the posts in relation to the rim are different with cantis and U-brakes, so you must use the type the frame was built for.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the help...they do fit canti/V's...they were just being finicky last night.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shmrcksean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    128

    my Zaskar

    I had been wanting to build up a single speed for awhile but wanted to do it on the cheap. A buddy wanted to get rid of his old GT bike. It had a crappy paint job and missing half of the parts. What it did come with was the Spin wheels, the suspension seatpost and the handlebars. Other than that, I invested about $100 for the chain tensioner, cog and spacer kit and slapped on the MX Comps and maguras and cranks I had laying around the garage. It's a fun bike to ride!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  77. #77
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,792
    Anyone know anything about this one?
    It's my "run the dog" bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: filegiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    184
    This was an '86 model just two years before they introduced the new (for GT) Triple-Triangle design. That year they also had a "downhill model (Outback?) with full chrome frame and a 24" rear wheel. Both frames have alot of Gary Turner's BMX frame influence including the pierced top tube, 18+ inch chainstays and horizonal drop-outs. Yours originally came with a Suntour XC Sport rollercam in the back, which it looks like you replaced with a Dia-Compe 990 u-brake.
    My Wanted List:

    1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

  79. #79
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by filegiant
    This was an '86 model just two years before they introduced the new (for GT) Triple-Triangle design. That year they also had a "downhill model (Outback?) with full chrome frame and a 24" rear wheel. Both frames have alot of Gary Turner's BMX frame influence including the pierced top tube, 18+ inch chainstays and horizonal drop-outs. Yours originally came with a Suntour XC Sport rollercam in the back, which it looks like you replaced with a Dia-Compe 990 u-brake.
    Yeah, that rollercam wouldn't operate anymore...before I knew what I had on my hands...I dumped it...

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    Any idea of BB size on those early Xizangs? 68 or 73?

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    My 91 Xizang (which was sold as a frame set only back then) has a 73mm BB shell width. I think all except 90, the first year were 73mm.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3

    New question here. U-brake

    Hi,

    I have just got a old steel gt frame (for free!). I have figure out that I need to use a U-brake in the rear. My question is can I use the lever from my V-brakes that I initially planned to use? I plan to put a V-brake in the front and it would look kind of odd to have different levers and difficult to get used to. I am not sure which model it is. Heavier than my kona kilauea for sure but judging from the previous owner it shouldn't be a low-end model. Is there any easy way of telling the models apart (it was bare steel when I got it and now I have had it powder coated so that might rule out some identification options).

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano
    Hi,

    I have just got a old steel gt frame (for free!). I have figure out that I need to use a U-brake in the rear. My question is can I use the lever from my V-brakes that I initially planned to use? I plan to put a V-brake in the front and it would look kind of odd to have different levers and difficult to get used to. I am not sure which model it is. Heavier than my kona kilauea for sure but judging from the previous owner it shouldn't be a low-end model. Is there any easy way of telling the models apart (it was bare steel when I got it and now I have had it powder coated so that might rule out some identification options).
    Is the serial number still legible? If so, what is the first digit should be a letter "H", "S", or other? If it's an H, GT had it built at Taiwan-Hodaka and they made mopst of the GT's from the Karakoram up in the line. If it's an S or maybe SF it was probably built by SanFa. Most of the 400 dollar and under models Timberline, Talera, Outpost and Outpost Trail were built there.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Is the serial number still legible? If so, what is the first digit should be a letter "H", "S", or other? If it's an H, GT had it built at Taiwan-Hodaka and they made mopst of the GT's from the Karakoram up in the line. If it's an S or maybe SF it was probably built by SanFa. Most of the 400 dollar and under models Timberline, Talera, Outpost and Outpost Trail were built there.

    Well I finally manage to get to the store where I keep the frame and checked the serial number: T 90016923

    Not quite sure how to interpret this. Does it mean that the frame was built in taiwan-hodaka in january, 1990?

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano
    Well I finally manage to get to the store where I keep the frame and checked the serial number: T 90016923

    Not quite sure how to interpret this. Does it mean that the frame was built in taiwan-hodaka in january, 1990?
    Wow that's an oldie. That one was built by Taioku, hence the "T" at the beginning.

  86. #86
    ravingbikefiend
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,322
    I don't see nearly enough GT's at our shop but when I do I am always impressed at how well they're made and how well they hold up after years and years of use.

    They're on the list of things I'd like to find when I go on bike hunting safaris.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

    -Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Wow that's an oldie. That one was built by Taioku, hence the "T" at the beginning.
    any idea of age and possible model? The end-cap of the top tube, where the logo is, is flat if that helps. I'll try to get some pics as well. Cable routing for the rear brake is inside the top-tube.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 02-04-2007 at 08:29 AM.

  88. #88
    nothing too modern for me
    Reputation: spline72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    39

    my old old LTS and my new old LTS

    Here are my 2 pride and joys.

    Thsi one i have owned one since new,



    this one i have finished building 2-3 weeks ago.



    looking to build a hardtail in the not to distant future , probably a Zaskar or Xizang.

    will see how the finances go!

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano
    any idea of age and possible model? The end-cap of the top tube, where the logo is, is flat if that helps. I'll try to get some pics as well. Cable routing for the rear brake is inside the top-tube.
    Yes Sacamano, a pic would help. If your rear brake cable is internally routed it's definitely a higher end model. Perhaps a Cyclone, a Psyclone or Bravado LE. I think those were the only steel frames GT produced with internally routed rear brake cables. The Xizang Ti frame also had internal routing in 90 and 91. Is it actually internally routed through the top tube or is it the "Groove Tube" top tube design that GT used for a few years with and indented bottom of the top tube?

  90. #90
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,156
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Yes Sacamano, a pic would help. If your rear brake cable is internally routed it's definitely a higher end model. Perhaps a Cyclone, a Psyclone or Bravado LE. I think those were the only steel frames GT produced with internally routed rear brake cables. The Xizang Ti frame also had internal routing in 90 and 91. Is it actually internally routed through the top tube or is it the "Groove Tube" top tube design that GT used for a few years with and indented bottom of the top tube?
    my 1990 karakoram had internal cable routing. beautifull bike. heavy as a brickwall.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  91. #91
    Professional lurker
    Reputation: Farmer_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    218
    This is the bike that I walked in for a 10 speed for and walked out with a lifestyle...1990ish Tequesta. Still have the frameset sititng in the spare bike room. I'll ride it again someday.

    This was probably 1999.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  92. #92
    MONKEYMAN
    Reputation: finger51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    792

    '91 Zaskar LE



    All XT groupo- came with a mag20. I rigged it up for commute with slicks, rack and a 50t chainring. changed out the seatpost for a dean Ti. aside from that it's all stock.
    Still running! My wife loves it.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

  93. #93
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,755
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    I've been watching ebay for years looking for one of those red Karakorams like Go Kart's. Actually, I've been looking prety much since I sold mine in 92. Dumb move...
    I'd buy a 16" if I found one.
    If you were interested in a purple haze 16" Karakoram I have one that has very few miles on it.

    When I bought it from the used sports store, it still had nubs on the rotten tires and a rock hard gel saddle. I think someone bought it for their wife and it was a garage bike. I still have the stock build for it, I just changed a few parts on it to make it a beginner trials bike. I think I've ridden it less than 10 times in the 3 or 4 years I've had it.

  94. #94
    single speeder
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    53

    Old GTs

    Here's a pic of me in an exhibition mtb race in 1985 in Atlanta. I'm on my first real mtb bike, a GT. I dont remember what the model was (maybe a Timberline?)





  95. #95
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,755
    Found a pic of it from just after I rebuilt it 3 years ago on my home computer.



    Ya, the orange saddle is gone.

    I need to find a pic of my Avalanche of the same vintage (same paint too).

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alohachiimoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    236

    Before and After,,,,,

    Just restored 92 AVALANCHE, still doesn't look good, but its rideable now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WANTED:NOS TIOGA SUSPENSION FRONT HUB in BLUE
    WANTED:89' DIAMONDBACK AXIS TEAM

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    If you were interested in a purple haze 16" Karakoram I have one that has very few miles on it.
    Wow, it's been over a year since I posted that!

    Back in November I scored this 92 Outpost that has a similar paint job to the 91 Karakoram.



    I planned on making it a singlespeed since it has semi-horizontal dropouts.

    Then a couple weeks later a 91 Karakoram came up, so I had to grab it. I bought a 2003 Giant locally to steal parts off of and recently finished my resto-mod.
    Maybe the only 9-speed '91 Karakoram around. It'll be my Rail-Trail bike this summer.


  98. #98
    bikespotter
    Reputation: retrobikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    103
    Bought this a while back - not sure why - think the pretty colour caught my eye !

    Wanted -girvin cranks, tubular steel - not the standard alloy ones

  99. #99
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,613
    Raced mine just this last weekend. I sucked, but the bike was great.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  100. #100
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,776
    Quote Originally Posted by singleminded1
    Here's a pic of me in an exhibition mtb race in 1985 in Atlanta. I'm on my first real mtb bike, a GT. I dont remember what the model was (maybe a Timberline?)




    Obviously from a time when one size fit all.

    Also looks like maybe a sideshow at something like a supercross race?

    Cool vintage pics.

    Regards,
    Jeff

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post your GT here!!!
    By Cohiba in forum GT
    Replies: 2211
    Last Post: 6 Days Ago, 05:45 AM
  2. Old GTs
    By karstkid in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM
  3. The Hyundai/gt Team
    By Carlos G in forum GT
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 11:31 PM
  4. 2005 Gt's are out!
    By sh101 in forum GT
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 06:03 PM

Members who have read this thread: 54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •