Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Sneaker man

Official GT Thread

Anyone out there have any Xizangs, Zaskars or Pyclones (or whatever they were called)?? I loved those frames... never had any...

OK so i love the signature tomac, and my yeti and fats... but realy this is my all time fav frame...:

(hope its not too big)

Last edited by mik_git; 02-27-2005 at 08:44 AM.

mwr
    brain donor
    I have a first year Xizang exactly like that one, but currently fitted with a later (~97) Marzocchi Bomber. I have a lot of vintage bikes but the Xiz is the one I ride all the time. They're great.

mtbr member
    I have a 1992 Team Avalanche. This was the steel frame version that came with XTR M-900. I rode that bike 1000s of miles... Still loving it.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by sallen
    I have a 1992 Team Avalanche. This was the steel frame version that came with XTR M-900. I rode that bike 1000s of miles... Still loving it.
    I used to have a '91 Team Avalanche. No longer own it though.

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Has anyone ever heard Rishi go by at full throttle?

mtbr member

I have one too..

But...it's a Timberline, all steel frame and Shimano Deore components...I really love this bike, I even want to upgrade it/modify it to an urban assault/commuter...But...

Where can I find old pull brakes?...or a 7-speed cassette and derailleurs ??

I'll post a pic tomorrow..
    2002 K2 Zed Team HT. Silver.

mwr
    brain donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Why, did he make funny sounds?

mwr
    brain donor
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatDan
    You can usually find all that stuff on ebay.

VRC Illuminati
    You're in luck Mik...now if you can just get him to ship to you....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7138497358
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Sneaker man
    AAWWEE!!! too bad i just bought a house, my girlfriend woul;d kill me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwr
    Why, did he make funny sounds?
    Ya, hopefully someone will chime in thats heard him. I think its on the exhale he lets out a kind of high pitch sound. Almost like girls tennis but higher pitched. Kinda hard to put into text. Definitely distinct. You can hear him coming and going.

I asked him about it a few years ago and he started laughing about it and said people ask him if thats his normal deal all the time. He said thats what happens when hes going hard... Hes a real nice guy. He and his wife. He used to go pretty darn good back in the day!

VRC Illuminati
    Ya, hopefully someone will chime in thats heard him. I think its on the exhale he lets out a kind of high pitch sound. Almost like girls tennis but higher pitched. Kinda hard to put into text. Definitely distinct. You can hear him coming and going.

I asked him about it a few years ago and he started laughing about it and said people ask him if thats his normal deal all the time. He said thats what happens when hes going hard... Hes a real nice guy. He and his wife. He used to go pretty darn good back in the day!
    I'll have to have you do a reenactment next time I see you.

Tammi Jaques still his wife? I always thought she was mildly hot.
    -eric-

~~~~~~~~
    here is some stuff that I needed an excuse to post.

Couple of items from amongst the hundreds of POS's at our last police bike auction.

Saw this and had to have it. Vicious bidding war ensued and I had to fork out 27 bucks to take it home.
    24" BMX GT

This was the sleeper, we knew that under a thick coat of spray paint (the painter didn't miss a spot, got tires, cassette, hubs, spokes, etc.) it was a GT, Alu, 7 sp. XT, Mag 21, our fingers were crossed that it was a Zaskar. Late in the auction so fatigue had set in and we got it for 25. Some of the spray job had been removed in this shot, and a few parts switched so we could take it for a spin, but you get the idea.

Turns out it was an avalanche. We stripped, polished it, and scored a sticker set.

Good friend and infamous Boulder Army Store patriarch ripping it up on the finished product. Probably never been ridden like this before.

mtbr member
    check harriscyclery.com for that kind o' stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatDan
    But...it's a Timberline, all steel frame and Shimano Deore components...I really love this bike, I even want to upgrade it/modify it to an urban assault/commuter...But...

I'll post a pic tomorrow..
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'll have to have you do a reenactment next time I see you.

Tammi Jaques still his wife? I always thought she was mildly hot.
    Ya Tammi is his wife. They had a little girl. With both of them as parents their kids should put out some horsepower!
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 04-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.

not so super...
    My "old" GT. 2000 STS1000 DS. Sold it a few years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing to see here.

VRC Illuminati
    Ya Tammi is his wife. Atleast 2-3 years ago. They had a little girl. With both of them as parents their kids should put out some horsepower!
    Good genes.
    -eric-

mtbr member

This is my late 80's Timberline...

Let's see if this works out...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I used to have a '91 Team Avalanche. No longer own it though.

Why did GT hold on to the U-brake thing for so long? Its my least favorite part of my team avalanche....

BTW - My first mountain bike was a 1988 GT Tequesta with Suntour XCE

RIDE

GT Karakorum K2

I'm not sure how old this one is but I'm thinking about 1987/88,all Suntour XCE. I found this one in a pile of bikes on the side of the street,dumped there by a home owner cleaning out his backyard.
    I cleaned it up and pumped the tires and she was ready to go.But during a recent ride the bottom bracket started to make really loud grinding noises sounding like a mountain lion in heat. It just happened to be at the same trail where a mountain lion was spotted a week earlier. I'm pretty sure the trail users weren't amused.
    'Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death'
    http://fotki.com/vintagemtbr/

Joe R.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by sallen
    Why did GT hold on to the U-brake thing for so long? Its my least favorite part of my team avalanche....
    Because they were more powerful than cantilevers and in a sensible location on the seatstays they worked well. It was putting them on the chainstays (usually under them) which earned them a bad rep. Cantilevers were more powerful than say, V-brakes, but less so than U's, so GT only ran rear U-brakes lest customers launch themselves over the bars via locking up front brake/wheel.

The comical part to v-brakes for me is that they've basically totally killed off brake booster sales/production. Back in cantilever/u-brake days, you almost HAD to have a booster plate to keep from breaking your fork/frame. Now with V's, no need for them anymore. Yet people insist v's are more powerful. LOL.

A guy I know repeatedly BENT brake studs on frames/forks whenever he tried running a Scott Pedersen SE brake without a booster.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

President, CEO of Earth

Bonking ... not feelin' well Now im sad

Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed
    I'm not sure how old this one is but I'm thinking about 1987/88,all Suntour XCE. I found this one in a pile of bikes on the side of the street,dumped there by a home owner cleaning out his backyard.
    I cleaned it up and pumped the tires and she was ready to go.But during a recent ride the bottom bracket started to make really loud grinding noises sounding like a mountain lion in heat. It just happened to be at the same trail where a mountain lion was spotted a week earlier. I'm pretty sure the trail users weren't amused.

I got a Karakorum in the mid '90s. Put a bomber z3 on it, raceface cranks, WTB rims... Best fitting and one of the best riding bikes I'd ever been on. I got it because I thought it was a tough-ass bike that would last me forever. In Thunder Bay there ware always about 10 old ones I would see from time to time that were destined for a third decade of heavy use. SURPRISE!!! Mine broke at the chainstay about two-and-a-half years later. GT had then discontinued the Karakorum and I wound up with an ill-fitting backwoods frame.

Take care of that baby. And if its too big, send it to me. I still miss my baby
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Because they were more powerful than cantilevers and in a sensible location on the seatstays they worked well. It was putting them on the chainstays (usually under them) which earned them a bad rep. Cantilevers were more powerful than say, V-brakes, but less so than U's, so GT only ran rear U-brakes lest customers launch themselves over the bars via locking up front brake/wheel.

The comical part to v-brakes for me is that they've basically totally killed off brake booster sales/production. Back in cantilever/u-brake days, you almost HAD to have a booster plate to keep from breaking your fork/frame. Now with V's, no need for them anymore. Yet people insist v's are more powerful. LOL.

A guy I know repeatedly BENT brake studs on frames/forks whenever he tried running a Scott Pedersen SE brake without a booster.

That's funny... my main issue back in the day was that there wasn;t a huge selection of U-brakes available... I did end up with the scott brake though! =) it was a bit hard to set up... but once it was... it rocked!

mtbr member

yes

I watched him smoke the field at the Traverse City, MI NORBA Nat'l back in 1991. Very impressive win on a dry dusty course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    You're kidding right? GT held on to U-brakes because of their triple triangle frame. Your heel would have hit canti's due to the much lower chainstays. U-Brakes were ok, but not even in the same universe as a set of Vee's.

My contribution below...

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast