Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    R.I.P. DogFriend

My first real mountain bike...

This was/is my first real mountain bike. I will always have a softspot for old GT hardtails. Although most of the parts are from back in the day, the only original parts left from when I bought it new are the frame and front derailleur.

Frame: 96 GT Outpost (steel)
    Fork: 97' RockShox Judy XC (1" steerer) with Englund long travel kit (80mm) and Mountain Speed springs
    Seatpost: Answer Body Shock
    Brifters: XT 8 speed
    Brakes: 1st generation XT V-brake with AC booster on rear brake
    Crankset: Shimano LX
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeffj; 02-12-2007 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    I always liked that color. It looks like a bar of soap, ala the old irish spring commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by retrobikeguy
    Bought this a while back - not sure why - think the pretty colour caught my eye !

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Phoa! I'd sell my daughter for one of those frameset! Shame I don't have a daughter

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Very, very nice Psycolone. Did you get a lot of attention for riding that beauty?

GT Team Northern Germany

Smile My old GT's

Hi there, here are my GT's:
    1992 Avalanche:

1993 Richter 8.0 (Custom build up this week)

1995 Avalanche

Manni

Sneaker man
    nice stuff... one of the things i really loved about the old ones was teh "gt" on teh top tube and tehn the model name emblazoned on teh down tube for all to see... beautiful

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a 16" GT RTS frame that i got off ebay last year - so brand new, it still had the manual book attached to the frame and guy who had built it. I have yet ot build it into a nice bike

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Raced mine just this last weekend. I sucked, but the bike was great.

updated pics please
    looking for 20-21" P team

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Anyone know anything about this one?
    It's my "run the dog" bike.
    Is ebay still the best place to off-load the GT stuff?

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    I don't see nearly enough GT's at our shop but when I do I am always impressed at how well they're made and how well they hold up after years and years of use.

They're on the list of things I'd like to find when I go on bike hunting safaris.
    So I went on safari and bagged myself a 96 (?) GT Karakoram that has now been rebuilt as a rigid fixed gear.

It's the shizzle.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    May 2007

old GT RTS

Bought an old GT RTS today. $350 was what I paid. It has nice aftermarket stuff. I bought a Salsa seatpost calmp and skewers today, had to get something. This was the bike I wanted in high school, but I could not afford it in 93. Let me know what you guys think. The guy I bought it from said that there is nothing stock except the frame. Seems to be that way. I have been out of the sport for 13 years. A lot has changed.

My questions are-

What year does it appear to be?

Who sells old GT parts, the guy at the shop says that I need new bushings in the rear suspension.

Did I get a decent deal?

I think it is a cool bike and I am happy to be riding again.

Pwning Trails
    Hi guys, just found this thread ... heres a pic of my bike -- I bought it off ebay last summer minus the front shock, think I got a great deal. I'm starting to think it's a late 90's Zaskar LE. What do you guys think? Thanks

More here: http://phlite.net/gallery/zaskar !

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by phlite
    Hi guys, just found this thread ... heres a pic of my bike -- I bought it off ebay last summer minus the front shock, think I got a great deal. I'm starting to think it's a late 90's Zaskar LE. What do you guys think? Thanks

More here: http://phlite.net/gallery/zaskar !

If it works well for you that's what counts but, since you asked: With the saddle moved all the way back in that semi-setback seatpost and the seatpost positioned where it is, combined with a long riser stem, I'd wager a guess that the frame is a bit small for you. It also looks a bit raked out with that Manitou Black fork on there.

mtbr member

Psyclone, Xizang and Zaskar

Here are my three bikes of the competition series.

GT Psyclone

GT Xizang

GT Zaskar

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi Guys,

I'm a biker chic from the UK and I've just found this great forum. I used to own a GT Tequesta - the lovely turquoise one a few posts up. I also bought my brother the snazzy splashed paint effect white Avalanche.

I thought I'd share my real pride and joy with you though as I sadly send her to eBay heaven. It's a GT RTS Team frame, built up in the late 90's for me by one of the legends of the UK mountainbiking scene - Dave Hemming. I'm hoping to buy a new women's specific full susser and get out riding again, but I'm finding it hard to let go of my lovely steed. Comments welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98308373@N00/505175692/

I just figured out this is a June 93 frame, the rest of the bike parts were added in 97ish.
    Last edited by OutSpokin; 05-21-2007 at 04:54 PM.

over researcher
    Right click on the picture itself. A menu should appear and then you left click on the word Properties. You will see http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/5...588442.jpg?v=0 Copy the address to your clipboard. Ctrl-C works for me. Then click "Insert Image" from the toolbar at the top of where you type your message. Paste (Ctrl-V) the address and click OK.

Wanderer
    Heres my '99 GT Xizang.

It still has mostly '99 parts on it but I am in the process of *finally* replacing most parts as they are super worn out with many thousands of miles on them.

After 8 years of riding it I just stripped the paint off a few weeks ago. I like it better this way.

Serial #: GTX 9904

That's gonna leave a mark

STS frame

Not exactly vintage, but was a fun bike!
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hi, i just got this GT bike that i would like to know what model but i cant post the pics, too big..dont know if this help i got the serial nos. S7JA1777 , its not a whole bike its just frame,Rockshox indySL fork,rim mavic 221, hub is shimano paralaxx and the crank is a shimano deore LX the one with spider, sorry for posting this ive posted this from the other forum but no answers. thanks

mtbr member
    If it's an aluminum frame i's likely an Avalanche. Post a pic that will help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yes its an aluminum, i tried post it here, but its to big, ill try making it smaller, ill try again. thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by singleminded1
    Here's a pic of me in an exhibition mtb race in 1985 in Atlanta. I'm on my first real mtb bike, a GT. I dont remember what the model was (maybe a Timberline?)

I had that same helmet!! A red Vetta to go with my second mountian bike I bought. A '88 red GT Karakoram. I desparately wanted the black crackle finish but after waiting 3 months my LBS said they could get it in red instead and I caved. I rode that bike until '98, putting about 10,000 miles on it (mostly before 1995 when I got married). It's currently being resurected as a single speed. I'm debating wether I should repaint it or leave it original.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_Canoe
    I had that same helmet!! A red Vetta to go with my second mountian bike I bought. A '88 red GT Karakoram.
    Can you post a pic of that bike please?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    Can you post a pic of that bike please?
    Thanks.

Here it is, scanned off an old photo complete with matching Vetta helmet. Currently, it's hanging in my garage covered in old mud. A little winter riding in '89 (I got the bike computer for X-mas '88), Sault Ste. Marie, Canada. (Dang, I look young there )

20" frame
    All Deore components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks!
    Here's mine, which I think is an 89.

mtbr member

1990 Team Avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by alohachiimoku
    Have anyone seen 1990 Team Avalanche?(not just Avalanche)
    This is the one(pic) I'm talking about. I believe only sold for Japanese market.
    WANTED:NOS TIOGA SUSPENSION FRONT HUB in BLUE
    WANTED:89' DIAMONDBACK AXIS TEAM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alohachiimoku
    This is the one(pic) I'm talking about. I believe only sold for Japanese market.
    No, This model was sold in the USA. it's either an 89 or 90 model. I sold them and I owned one the year before I purchased my Xizang. Frame is actually a deep midnite blue almost black with light blue strings of paint accenting the frame. It was sold as a complete bike with top mount 7spd Deore XT which was the best you could by at the time. Pre fropnt suspension and Pre XTR. Pre GT aluminum days even.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    No, This model was sold in the USA. it's either an 89 or 90 model. I sold them and I owned one the year before I purchased my Xizang. Frame is actually a deep midnite blue almost black with light blue strings of paint accenting the frame. It was sold as a complete bike with top mount 7spd Deore XT which was the best you could by at the time. Pre fropnt suspension and Pre XTR. Pre GT aluminum days even.
    I remember that color scheme called ''BLUE WIDOW'', very similar paint with 89 XIZANG.

Never seen that 90 Team Avalanche here in US, and 90s GT catalog either,,,,,

mtbr member
    Ah yes, Blue widow. Good memory aloha! I don't think there was an 89 Xizang that was painted. Wasn't the 89 or 90 Xizang the one with Ti front and Chromoly rear triangle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Ah yes, Blue widow. Good memory aloha! I don't think there was an 89 Xizang that was painted. Wasn't the 89 or 90 Xizang the one with Ti front and Chromoly rear triangle?
    89 Xizang made with all Cr-Mo. (I believe)

I originally purchase 90 Team Avalanche in Japan, lots of memories

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm sitting here salivating over your titanium, steel and alu classics...

Back in the saddle
    My new project bike, also new member here, been out of the game for a few years

" width="549">

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobikeguy
    Bought this a while back - not sure why - think the pretty colour caught my eye !

had the exact same bike. it lasts forever..
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

makin skid marks
    Jun 2007
    Sweet bikes. I have an early-80s 26" cruiser set up w/MTB bars for SS racing(my wife raced it at the inaugural Cool Classic). I'll try & get pics up; I'm computer-retarded & my net guru/esposa is at work. She also had a 16" Xijang for awhile- we sold it to a friend who will likely not ride it; I wonder if I should try to get it back & sell it to some psychotic vintage MTBR guy..?
    Actually I abhor cycling- I just like wearing tight shorts

mtbr member
    I've never owned a GT but I've had plenty of friends who have.

I have a friend with a 97ish Zaskar, his brother has a same year Avalanche LE.

I also had a friend way back in the day that had a Timberline FS, and I almost bought a Karakoram back in the day myself

Cool stuff!!!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here are some of my retro GTs...

- All original 94 GT Tequesta, including full 7 speed STX running gear, original hand grips, cables & WTB tires. The previous owner added Onza bar ends & I've also swapped the rigid fork for a RS Mag 21. A quick ride on it is a good reminder to how much we have progressed in bicycle technology in past 10 years.

- A GT Lighting titanium, I do not know the actual vintage but I suspect it to be a 96-97 model. The bike was in poor state when I had it imported, so it was stripped down & kitted it out with some modern day running gears. Found some vintage Xizang decals on eBay as I couldn't find any authentic Lightning decals - so not quiet as authentic as others in this forum. The ride quality is far more easy on the arse than my 04 Zaskar with similar running gears. This will be my enduro racer of choice & while keeping the Zaskar for the sprint events.

- A GT Bravado, again, I do not know the vintage of this but from the decals onboard, it appears to be a late 90s GT Bravado. Reynolds 631 double butted chromoly tubes with GT chromoly fork. Turned into my daily commuter bike - light, fast and can handle anything that my road bike cannot, and easily converted back to a proper MTB shall I decide to scare myself by riding a full rigid someday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-matic
    Bought an old GT RTS today. $350 was what I paid. It has nice aftermarket stuff. I bought a Salsa seatpost calmp and skewers today, had to get something. This was the bike I wanted in high school, but I could not afford it in 93. Let me know what you guys think. The guy I bought it from said that there is nothing stock except the frame. Seems to be that way. I have been out of the sport for 13 years. A lot has changed.

My questions are-

What year does it appear to be?

Who sells old GT parts, the guy at the shop says that I need new bushings in the rear suspension.

Did I get a decent deal?

I think it is a cool bike and I am happy to be riding again.

It appears to be a 92 era RTS, as i believe after that they went to aluminium rear stars - i could be wrong??

mtbr member
    Here is mine. I think its a 1994 but I bought it in 1993.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I picked up a '94 Tequesta for $75 on Craiglist last week. Not too bad condition but I am going to send the frame to Airglow to get restored. Yesterday I found an uncut Mag 21 at a flea market and got it for $50 to replace the rigid fork. But anyway, I came across this link that some of you may be interested in. The GT catalogues from 1990-1998.

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/gt.html
    1993 Trek 8000
    1994 Diamond Back Axis TR

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonXC
    Here is mine. I think its a 1994 but I bought it in 1993.
    Great pic... now I know what my Kark would probably look like if it was in it's original form

I found my frame lingering at our shop and after seeing the horizontal drops that had been added knew it had to be turned into an ss or a fixed gear.

I went for the fixed option and recently added the riser bars and touched up the frame a little since the rear stays were a little scruffy looking from the new welds and the removal of the rear brake bosses.

It's a fabulous bike for XC riding and the folks who think it's insane for me to be riding a fixed gear think I should be committed for riding one off road.

It doesn't really get any better than this for me.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks - that's a great link - good to see all those old GT catalogues & see what was made back in the GT glory days.

Back in the saddle
    when I got it:

as of tonight:

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No one else has a pantera? I just resurected one from my garage. An old roomate left it and it had been at the beach for a while. Most of the running gear and BB were shot. I converted it to a single speed yesterday and pitched all of the old deraliers, etc. I moght go try to dig them out of the trash after reading these posts? It an Aluminum frame w/ a cro-mo fork. Was this below the zaskar but above the avalanche in the price range? I'll post a pic tomorrow. I am guessing its from 89-91??
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO carbon 29 2010 felt solo nine SS, 1994 Zaskar ,1995 GT Pantera, 2001 Hive Ti SS....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've got 2 (yes two !! ) 1991/2 Avalanche framesets that I'm restoring/rebuilding.

1 is hopefully going to be original (STI levers, etc) the other will be period upgades that I have (XT thumbies, Mavic rims, etc).

Just to confirm, they did have ARAYA RM 17 rims didn't they ?? ??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here is my GT Pantera Aluminum converted to SS. It came with diacomp MXC? brakes and Suntour XC ltd components I think. I dont know what year anyone have an idea?

2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO carbon 29 2010 felt solo nine SS, 1994 Zaskar ,1995 GT Pantera, 2001 Hive Ti SS....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Because they were more powerful than cantilevers and in a sensible location on the seatstays they worked well. It was putting them on the chainstays (usually under them) which earned them a bad rep. Cantilevers were more powerful than say, V-brakes, but less so than U's, so GT only ran rear U-brakes lest customers launch themselves over the bars via locking up front brake/wheel.

The comical part to v-brakes for me is that they've basically totally killed off brake booster sales/production. Back in cantilever/u-brake days, you almost HAD to have a booster plate to keep from breaking your fork/frame. Now with V's, no need for them anymore. Yet people insist v's are more powerful. LOL.

A guy I know repeatedly BENT brake studs on frames/forks whenever he tried running a Scott Pedersen SE brake without a booster.
    Actually, brake boosters died off because V-brakes effectively forced frame builders to use stronger, stiffer seatstays because V's deliver more power than Canti's (V's are in fact as powerful as U-brakes, with better tire clearance). The first couple years of V's were the golden age of brake boosters for this reason (And that's why many brake boosters fit V's but not canti's, the post holding the unthreaded brake pads on the canti's foul the boosters). Nowadays, with discs putting as much or more stress on the seatstay than any rim brake, seatstays are easily srong enough to run any rim brake sans booster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ironhorse man, that be the year of 1992

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrown
    Ironhorse man, that be the year of 1992
    thanks bro.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron horseman
    No one else has a pantera? I just resurected one from my garage. An old roomate left it and it had been at the beach for a while. Most of the running gear and BB were shot. I converted it to a single speed yesterday and pitched all of the old deraliers, etc. I moght go try to dig them out of the trash after reading these posts? It an Aluminum frame w/ a cro-mo fork. Was this below the zaskar but above the avalanche in the price range? I'll post a pic tomorrow. I am guessing its from 89-91??
    I'm still riding my GT Pantera AL. I bought it new in '94 (I think it cost around $800, maybe a little more). I just sort of looked it over to see what was original on it and the only original parts on it are the frame itself, the front deraileur, and the seatpost. I do still have all the original parts sitting around in boxes though.
    It's been a great bike and I now use it as kind of an all-around go anywhere bike so it's still getting a lot of mileage (mix of roads, bike paths, and trails). I do have a few other bikes, but this one still gets a lot of use.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    I've got a Pantera, but I have to admit I've never taken it on the trails. I just built it up to look cool. If I ever get around to rebuilding the forks I'll ride it... until then, it's a display bike at a GT dealership, showing how cool GT used to be.

Oh, and Panteras were third from the top. Zaskar was the first, then Avalanche, then Pantera. This one is a '95.

panterars.jpg

mtbr member
    The GT aluminum hardatil order was as follows for most of the 90's:
    Zaskar (LE)
    Avalanche (LE)
    Pantera
    Backwoods
    Tempest
    Aggressor

Back in the saddle
    karakoram?

mtbr member
    Early '90s Karakoram was basically the same bike as the Pantera, except with a steel frame (Pantera was aluminum)...both produced during same timeframe.

Early '90s Avalanche was the steel derivative of the Aluminum Zaskar.

The shop I worked for sold a lot of Karakorams vs. Panteras, but very few Avalanches (I think I only saw one or two the entire summer!). If someone wanted high end, they always went to the Zaskar. The Zaskar was a sexy aluminum frame, unlike most of the other aluminum frames during the era....plus the available anodized colors were sweet!

I'm not sure, but I do not believe that you could order a Avalanche frame, though you could order a Zaskar frame an build as you like.

I personally liked the steel GT frames. GT's line of steel road frames were also kick ass.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by retroyetirigid

Just to confirm, they did have ARAYA RM 17 rims didn't they ?? ??

Are you asking if thats what the GT's came with stock? I don't know.

If you're asking if RM17's were around in the early 90's, yeah, pretty sure they were.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo_matic
    Early '90s Karakoram was basically the same bike as the Pantera, except with a steel frame (Pantera was aluminum)...both produced during same timeframe.

Early '90s Avalanche was the steel derivative of the Aluminum Zaskar.

The shop I worked for sold a lot of Karakorams vs. Panteras, but very few Avalanches (I think I only saw one or two the entire summer!). If someone wanted high end, they always went to the Zaskar. The Zaskar was a sexy aluminum frame, unlike most of the other aluminum frames during the era....plus the available anodized colors were sweet!

I'm not sure, but I do not believe that you could order a Avalanche frame, though you could order a Zaskar frame an build as you like.

I personally liked the steel GT frames. GT's line of steel road frames were also kick ass.
    Memory jogger for you. The steel high end frame only was the PSYCLONE.

mtbr member
    gm1230126, was the Psyclone the same frame as the one used on the steel Avalanche bike? You are stating that the Psclone was available as a frame only?

I could be totally wrong (crap, that was 15 years ago and I was in Jr. High), but for some reason I thought that the Psyclone materialized as the high end steel bike when the Avalanche became aluminum ("lower end Zaskar").

The shop did not move much GT steel, other than Karakorams. If someone wanted steel, the customer was steered to the Specialized bikes (which the shop also sold).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Psyclone was frame only and available before the Avalanche went aluminum.
    In 1993 The Team Avalanche was in the catalog and was tru-temper steel as was the Psyclone. The 1992 catalog showed a tru temper Avalanche model and a Psyclone as well. I have a very early model that has "Cyclone" decals on it, it is fillet brazed and has internal top tube cable routing and is made of tru temper ultra tubing. The drop outs are different from the 1992 which have a replaceable hanger.

Mercury had a hopped up model of the Couger back in the 1960s called a Cyclone so maybe they had to change it for legal reasons or Psyclone just looked cooler I don't know.

gm1230126, was the Psyclone the same frame as the one used on the steel Avalanche bike? You are stating that the Psclone was available as a frame only?

I could be totally wrong (crap, that was 15 years ago and I was in Jr. High), but for some reason I thought that the Psyclone materialized as the high end steel bike when the Avalanche became aluminum ("lower end Zaskar").

The shop did not move much GT steel, other than Karakorams. If someone wanted steel, the customer was steered to the Specialized bikes (which the shop also sold).

mtbr member

The Psyclone was the Longmont, CO USA Made fillet brazed steel Tech Shop frame. Most of those early steel Avalanche frames were made by Toyo in Japan. When the Avalanche switched to aluminum the Bravado(LE) became the top of the line TIG welded (Taiwan) steel bike. The Psyclone was only sold as a frame set through Tech Shop dealers from 1992-whenever.

mtbr member
    Very cool...thanx for the education!

over researcher

Sounds like Siskiyou Cyclery in Ashland, OR. I bought my first MTB from them in 1993, and tried out both a GT Timberline? and a Rockhopper Comp. I bought the Specialized.

bikespotter
    mmmmmmmmmmmm GT psyclone,

Was frame only IIRC - http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1993.pdf

why didn't I bid on that bloody lovely browning special that turned up on evilbay a year or so back

did anyone off here get this beaut ?
    Wanted -girvin cranks, tubular steel - not the standard alloy ones

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My college roommate bought a Karakoram that I loved. It was a cro-mo frame that was royal blue and black - and it had the yellow Rock Shox on it. I always loved the look of that bike and it rode nice too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I used to have a 93 Bravado LE, blue and yellow Team Scream paint job. It was stolen several years ago and I would love to get my hands on another one. Anyone got an 18" frame they want to get rid of?

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Try posting a wanted ad in the MTBR classifieds vintage section. Also, the guys on vintage board seem to have connections to find just about anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

GT Oupost 1992

Here is my finished project, identical model to my 1st ever mountain bike, at 13 you dont really look after things like you should, so nearly 16 years later, with little bit of cash, access to the internet (ebay) and too much time (being single helps), i have built up this little beauty (ok its not the top end GT, but its a GT all the same)

2x Outposts have been bought to complete this one,

Replaced - brake blocks (obvious) Seatpost, seat, bottom bracket and handle bar grips - but with trying to keep things all GT, the grips are GT logo'd, so are the Toe clips and straps.

All other things are original, suntour mechs and accushift shifters, handle bars, headset, brakes, chainset, and wheels, (dunno about the chain)

It seems like the Outpost of that year at least either, came with amber or black wall cheng shin tyres, i have both, same grip pattern
    Last edited by mattbrown; 09-14-2007 at 12:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice Outpost, stock down to the tires! Cool.

Here is my latest GT creation with some slight mods from previous pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    95 Pantera all original down to the Tioga Psyco front tire and Judy XC. It has full STX and a vetta TT seat.

mtbr member

HERE'S THE BEAST!!!!

ud
    MID 90'S YETI F.R.O.16" NEED'S SOME TLC......INTERESTED??.......SEND PM.

mtbr member
    This the one that was for sale on ebay from a florida seller a year back? Sweet bike. Truly original Xizang with the bolt on chromoly rear. I wanted one so bad when they first came out but heard they were going all Ti and waited a year for mine.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a '93 Tequesta. Amazing frame and paintjob, but really heavy. Soon I'll strip off the frame in order to weight it and... to replace it for a '97 Lightning ti I've just bough in Ebay.

Love top GT steel frames (Bravado and Psyclone/Cyclone), but haven't been able to find a cheap one. Won't pay 400 bucks plus shipping costs for a Psy.

Anyway, these are amazing bikes. And some of the pics you posted really rock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Here are some pics of my Xixang.. 1997 is 10 years really vintage?

finally started riding again after about 5 years off the bike, still rides like a dream.

mtbr member
    my early 90's GT K2. This was bought new at The Clean Machine bike shop in Carrboro, NC for around $700 back in 1992. I've put a few upgrades on it since then and it's as is on the pictures shown below

in front of our house by the bushes

me with the Samurai haircut by the trees by the road to our house

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by UMMADUMMA
    HERE'S THE BEAST!!!!

ud
    One of the cooler GT's I've seen.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    I'm sure everyone is sick of pics of this bike by now...but I swapped out the M900 cranks for Syncros Revolutions....just need Syncros bars to round out the package. Took it on a ride just this afternoon.

-eric-

mtbr member
    GO EASY WITH THEM' FORKS!!!

SOMETIMES THEY AINT EVEN GOOD FOR THE ONE JUMP THAT THE MANUFACTURE SAYS THERE GOOD FOR!!!!

lol

ud
    MID 90'S YETI F.R.O.16" NEED'S SOME TLC......INTERESTED??.......SEND PM.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by UMMADUMMA
    GO EASY WITH THEM' FORKS!!!

SOMETIMES THEY AINT EVEN GOOD FOR THE ONE JUMP THAT THE MANUFACTURE SAYS THERE GOOD FOR!!!!

lol

ud

The Powerlites have a bad rep for breaking? I've not heard that before.

The cranks yes, the forks no.

Between the cranks, rear wheel, and the fork....I'm a goner for sure!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Found a pic of it from just after I rebuilt it 3 years ago on my home computer.

Ya, the orange saddle is gone.

I need to find a pic of my Avalanche of the same vintage (same paint too).
    What's the black fabric-like material on the top tube of your old GT? TIA. -GT2005
    Last edited by GT2005; 03-06-2008 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    my newest toy

my other gts: lts,zaskar 1991,tequesta 1990, richter 8.0, karakoram 1992,psyclone 1993 yellow,cosmic sunrise zaskar 1998

1.Never install a seatpost with a hammer.
    2.Never, never install a seatpost with a hammer.
    3.Never, never, EVER install a seatpost with a hammer
    Last edited by kikaha; 03-04-2008 at 07:34 AM.

GT Team Northern Germany

Smile

Here are No. 8+9 of my little GT Collection:

1991 Zaskar (with RS Mag 21):

1990 Avalanche (with a new Paintjob):

Manni

CS2
    mtbr member
    Here is my finished project, identical model to my 1st ever mountain bike, at 13 you dont really look after things like you should, so nearly 16 years later, with little bit of cash, access to the internet (ebay) and too much time (being single helps), i have built up this little beauty (ok its not the top end GT, but its a GT all the same)

2x Outposts have been bought to complete this one,

Replaced - brake blocks (obvious) Seatpost, seat, bottom bracket and handle bar grips - but with trying to keep things all GT, the grips are GT logo'd, so are the Toe clips and straps.

All other things are original, suntour mechs and accushift shifters, handle bars, headset, brakes, chainset, and wheels, (dunno about the chain)

It seems like the Outpost of that year at least either, came with amber or black wall cheng shin tyres, i have both, same grip pattern
    I found a bike just like that in the garbage a couple of years ago. It sat in the back of my truck for 6 months. Finally, I stripped it and only kept the frame, fork and stem. The handlebar was rusted to the shifters. It was painted the exact Orange with Black splatter. I'm going to have it Orange powder coated. I've got a fairly complete Deore group less wheels, cables and handle bar. Oops, forgot the weird 26.mm seatpost.

If your bike is what a nice example looks, I can't wait to finish mine. I plan on giving it to my son for his birthday.

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

In need of some identification

Hey classic GT gurus, I need some serious help here. I'm getting a GT Karakoram frame from the 90's to turn into a retro single speeder but I'd like to know more info on this guy. I know its Cro-mo but that's pretty much it. I'd like to know the year, what size of head tube (1 1/8 I hope), V-brake or older brakes, and anything else you salty dogs can come up with. I appreciate your help guys. I'm getting the retro bug and I think this one will fit the bill. Here's the pic.

mtbr member
    Decals appear to be 1993 vintage.

Original Specs:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...oram&Type=bike
    Last edited by gm1230126; 04-18-2008 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hello,

I could be mistaken here, but you might have got yourself the 1995 Mountain Biking Magzine Bike of the Year.

I think it was made of Tange Prestige tubing, with all tubes butted, durable as hell as long as it is rust free. The frame has 1 1/8 steer tubing and will accept both old style cantilever, Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes or current crop of V-brakes.

In terms of product ranking, GT Karakoram was only behind the ultra exotic hand build Tech Shop Psycholon framesets and GT Bravado in 95/96, so yes you've got yourself a real keeper there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    In 95, Karakoram was available in black and Candy Blue.
    It was purple in 93.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Finally she is built up

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

GT Karakoram 1992

Another and final for a while, finished project, have some flat gt nos bars en route, but i thought i'd see how retro risers would look and feel, mostly original build. Pedals and grips, were parts just lying around

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Halson PDS...

Which as we all know, stood for Pretty Dam Sweet.

My buddy had one on his Richter 8.0 back in the day.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Blast from the past.Awesome pictures folks.Ok Here's Mine.She's Ruff but Awesome.Got BMX?????She's Gonna get an old BMX alloy flutted seatpost and an Aero Vetta seat.

Lucky Wrecker
    Another and final for a while, finished project, have some flat gt nos bars en route, but i thought i'd see how retro risers would look and feel, mostly original build. Pedals and grips, were parts just lying around

That's almost exactly like my old GT! Mine had the orange with black and white splatter paint job all over though - no yellow fade. If only I had taken photos....darn. I loved that bike!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by miwoodar

That's almost exactly like my old GT! Mine had the orange with black and white splatter paint job all over though - no yellow fade. If only I had taken photos....darn. I loved that bike!
    I just bought a Karakoram with the orange (looks more like scarlet) black and white splatter paint job. Near pristine condition, been hanging in the original owner's garage unused for years.

$50.

I'm guessing it's a '91, but does anybody know for sure?

Lucky Wrecker
    I think it was a 91 or 92 but I'm not sure.

I'll give you $75 for it !

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Is it like this one?
    This is a '91

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    hello i want un frame or complete bike style karakoram but only steel not aluminium size 18 p, i live in france please tell me
    thanks
    Nicolas

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    Is it like this one?
    This is a '91
    Yep, that's the one! I had a hunch it's a '91, thanks for clearing that up for me.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki la pince
    hello i want un frame or complete bike style karakoram but only steel not aluminium size 18 p, i live in france please tell me
    thanks
    Nicolas
    Salutation!
    Je vous enverrai la bicyclette vous êtes demandés via DHL. L'exigence seulement que vous envoyez de l'argent à mon point d'origine pour la vérification transactionnelle. AUCUN CHÈQUE. Le message privé moi si vous avez des intentions pour le contrat.
    Financièrement le Vôtre,
    Doigt51
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    Salutation!
    Je vous enverrai la bicyclette vous êtes demandés via DHL. L'exigence seulement que vous envoyez de l'argent à mon point d'origine pour la vérification transactionnelle. AUCUN CHÈQUE. Le message privé moi si vous avez des intentions pour le contrat.
    Financièrement le Vôtre,
    Doigt51
    hello , thanks for your fast answer , cool but what's yourt model of bike ? do you have a picture please
    Nicolas

mtbr member
    A DREAM COMES TRUE...............the missing link in my gt collection.

mtbr member
    Is that Rumpfy's former ride? Nice pick up....1992 first year Groove tube model and the last year they had the model decal on the down tube. Your going to love it. That was the toughest link for me to fill in my collection too. There's just not many of them out there and most of those that do have them don't want to part with them.

Sometimes has attitude

My DH bike

Durango 1991 National DH, I won. I wish I still had this bike. Downhill racing sure has changed huh? Notice Tinker behind me...on full Klien rigid!!

I cracked two of these frames that year. Sandvic ended up building us customs. I gave it to my coach at the end of the season. I should have gave him cash. That frame was one of my all time favorite rides. I ended up riding for Alpinestars on a EOS full ti bike the next year.
    Ride Your Bike!

Sometimes has attitude
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git
    Anyone out there have any Xizangs, Zaskars or Pyclones (or whatever they were called)?? I loved those frames... never had any...

OK so i love the signature tomac, and my yeti and fats... but realy this is my all time fav frame...:

(hope its not too big)

Sick Pic!! I love the dirt caked to my teeth in that picture. Great days, Great memories. Here's on I found in a Spainish magazine. It's from Mammoth, and yes Ned is in the hurt locker (I am too) at the 10,500ft highpiont of the course that year.

The other is in the Hillclimb, I got 4th behind, Ned, Tim Gould, and Tomac.

The other is from Berlin World Cup Finals, 1991, Rishi Grewal is in tow, with Mike Kluge getting drpped. I was Rishi's his workhorse that day. He got 7th for the day and second overall.
    Ride Your Bike!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast