Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,288 of 1288
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

getting there

early 85 (have original seat, just saving wear and tear)

Official FAT chance thread-img_9430.jpgOfficial FAT chance thread-img_9431.jpgOfficial FAT chance thread-img_9432.jpg

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    That fork ... do you like the ride ? It's low and has more rake than the Yo Eddy fork that was an option for the frame. The other option would be 63mm susp. A bike that big would have a 135mm stem but then you have a WIDE hbar there so .. Anyway, it's a rider and that's the best build imo.
    (the threaded layout is messing me up...I see my post was a reply to a sub-thread)

I bought the frame with no fork (sigh....). I replaced the headset with a King Threadless and my local shop sold me a Cannondale Pepperoni fork for $10. It rides good, but I do notice the rake. I used to have a Marzhocchi Atom Bomb on it. Those had around 63mm of travel and the removable steerer tube. Now I have a 1 1/8" on the fork so can't use it on this bike. I also like keeping this one rigid, the way it was intended.

Are there any 1" threadless forks you'd recommend? I would like to get closer to original geometry, but would not mind a bit slacker of a head angle.

The bar in the photo is 747mm. I adjusted the grips in and found 720mm is about perfect for me and with a short stem. I switched the bars for my FS bike's Race Face which are narrower and have more rise. The 110mm stem and narrow XC bars don't work for my anymore. Too stretched out (I'm 6'4" but all leg so this is probably too big for me). So the shorter stem fits me better and the wider bars feel better.

Anyone add disks to this frame? I'd love to, my current XT disk on my FS bike are soooo much nicer and easy to set up. The Magura were great in their day, but oi vey...adjusting them.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    The New York bikes ride better and are lighter. Chris Chance himself acknowledges that they're better bikes.
    HmmmmÖ.news to me. I think the ti bikes were pretty different, there may be an argument there, but Iím not sure about a Boston yo vs a NY yo.

Stokeless Asshat
    For clamping the top tube I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    OK, let me have it:
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    For clamping the top tube I will.
    It was resting on the clamp and closed just enough to keep it from wobbling. I promise I clamp the seatpost when I'm wrenching!
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

Stokeless Asshat
    I have a bike resting in the stand in the garage right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    It was resting on the clamp and closed just enough to keep it from wobbling. I promise I clamp the seatpost when I'm wrenching!

Want:

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog View Post
    HmmmmÖ.news to me. I think the ti bikes were pretty different, there may be an argument there, but Iím not sure about a Boston yo vs a NY yo.

That's what I had always thought. Serotta bikes are nice but they are Serotta, Fats...as opposed to Fat Fats....I mean...you know what I mean...
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    That's what I had always thought. Serotta bikes are nice but they are Serotta, Fats...as opposed to Fat Fats....I mean...you know what I mean...
    They could be better as in less rust for example. I believe they are Fat Chances since it's the same design and same head(pun intended) behind the product but i also believe Chance would say he moved on to make a better bike not a worse one. Why would it ride any better when it's the same geometry and same tubes? Ime the sommerville decal lends more value on transactions.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    They could be better as in less rust for example. I believe they are Fat Chances since it's the same design and same head(pun intended) behind the product but i also believe Chance would say he moved on to make a better bike not a worse one. Why would it ride any better when it's the same geometry and same tubes? Ime the sommerville decal lends more value on transactions.
    I checked in with my two friends who are close with Chris and have owned over 100 Fats between them, just to make sure I'm not getting my Fat history muddled up. Here's how they explained it.

The Yo came in three, arguably four, generations over the decade they were sold. The first was the Mass bikes. They used one tube set, with the only real revision being the switch to suspension corrected geometry. In 94, they started the move to NY and frames were being built in both factories. In 95, they became entirely NY built bikes. Chris was the only employee to carry over. Chris Iglehart may have gone too, but I'm not positive. Chris Chance still ran the QC. The second generation of Yos used lighter tubes, as well as different dropouts and gussets. The third generation used a third, even lighter tube set, had a 1-1/8" head tube and eventually had slightly different suspension correction. At this point, the BOI rigid fork became a very rare option, and is worth about twice what the first generation forks are worth.

Five years ago, collectors definitely valued the early bikes more than the NY bikes. Nowadays, NY bikes go for easily as much, but as a whole, they all fluctuate. I still hear from most people who have owned both that the NY bikes ride better.

For what it's worth, I've owned gen 1 (90), gen 2 (93), and a gen 4 (98) Yos, and each frame was much nicer as the years went on. Especially the 98, that was a fantastic frame. The 90 was very rough.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    I checked in with my two friends who are close with Chris and have owned over 100 Fats between them, just to make sure I'm not getting my Fat history muddled up. Here's how they explained it.

The Yo came in three, arguably four, generations over the decade they were sold. The first was the Mass bikes. They used one tube set, with the only real revision being the switch to suspension corrected geometry. In 94, they started the move to NY and frames were being built in both factories. In 95, they became entirely NY built bikes. Chris was the only employee to carry over. Chris Iglehart may have gone too, but I'm not positive. Chris Chance still ran the QC. The second generation of Yos used lighter tubes, as well as different dropouts and gussets. The third generation used a third, even lighter tube set, had a 1-1/8" head tube and eventually had slightly different suspension correction. At this point, the BOI rigid fork became a very rare option, and is worth about twice what the first generation forks are worth.

Five years ago, collectors definitely valued the early bikes more than the NY bikes. Nowadays, NY bikes go for easily as much, but as a whole, they all fluctuate. I still hear from most people who have owned both that the NY bikes ride better.
    Cool.. i will look for a NY one if i decide to build a YO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Someone is about to learn a lesson about outing.
    What does that mean? I new around this forum? Am I making a mistake?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bp101 View Post
    Not a big deal but if you read the stickies, it's not kosher to out auctions and ads on CL. That's okay for new people since it's just weird forum traits. You should have seen my initiation. This thread is to celebrate fat chances by owners and people who really love them and to discuss the bikes in general, not really a place for asking what things are worth so I've deleted the posts.

However, pick up the bike, clean it up, take a picture of it and post it up here after you get it. We love fat chances.

Yes, get it, it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool and sorry for the wrong kind of post. I get it now. Thank you for the reply.

VRC Illuminati

What GOB said...but also if you post up a bike you're interested in, especially if it's a good bike for really cheap, other people will instantly swoop on it and you'll be left with your dick in your hand. Ask the question, but don't show people where it is.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What GOB said...but also if you post up a bike you're interested in, especially if it's a good bike for really cheap, other people will instantly swoop on it and you'll be left with your dick in your hand. Ask the question, but don't show people where it is.
    Yeah - that was lame. I am way too naive. Wont be making that mistake again.

I bought the frame this morning - is it kosher to post some pics along with some questions regarding the restoration process?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Itís mine now

Official FAT chance thread-img_2731.jpg

Ok, I own this frame. Now to start my research/restore.

Any and all tips are appreciated.

Ambivalent Luddite
    Very cool, you've got a 1988 Wicked, the 1046th built that year.

inFATuated

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Dude View Post
    Very cool, you've got a 1988 Wicked, the 1046th built that year.
    Thank you. That's what I was wanting to know.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Yeah - that was lame. I am way too naive. Wont be making that mistake again.

I bought the frame this morning - is it kosher to post some pics along with some questions regarding the restoration process?
    totally! congrats! feel free to start a new thread too if you want to keep it all together.

VRC Illuminati
    Definitely. Congrats on the pick up!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    you'll be left with your dick in your hand
    You shouldn't draw conclusions about others based on yourself, E...

bleeding eventually stops
    I am beside myself. As both a Mavic and Fat chance and a retro fan this bike is the absolute boobies. Bravo sir.

bleeding eventually stops

Yo 27.5+

It is probably sacrilegious to post this here. I know this is vintage territory and am likely to be tarred and feathered for bringing this to the table. But I'm confident that there is a lot of historical expertise that is hard to find elsewhere. Report is that CC is putting a 27.5+ Yo Eddy out sometime next year. I'm getting one, they know it, I know it, wife knows it. My $0.02 is that the 27.5+ is a quantum leap for the rocky, rooty, twitchy riding characteristic of NE. It also makes total sense to have it with rigid fork. And we know a Yo without a FC fork is slightly sad.
    What I particularly love about this is it is the opportunity to fuse the old and new. Getting to recapture the feel of a predictable point and shoot rigid and with all the great new things like disc brakes, 1x11 drivetrain, etc...with a fat arse tire gobbling up baby heads etc...
    Question is what are the modern incarnations of the parts that were characteristic of the period. For example Pauls makes some cool mechanical disc brakes. I'd like it to be stuff made by American dudes (Dudettes), not corporations. And no carbon. Alternative is just throw XT all over it and call it a much less expensive day.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    In a similar vein, what's the verdict about the new Yos? Reviews online seem few and far between...
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

Sneaker man
    Yeah,everyone that has said they own oen seem to love them...but well yeah reviews seem non existent.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've been dropping not-so-subtle hints to Chris for a few months now that I'll pull the trigger on one of his new bikes if I can get one in non-suspension corrected, rigid, 650B+. He said it'll happen, just not sure exactly how soon.

As for the ride of the new Yo, I've only gotten to experience it for about 5 minutes. Chris and I swapped bikes on a ride (he was on the 29" version) but after the first section of trail on each other'S bikes, he rolled up with a pinch flat on my Team Comp. I patched it up and we switched back.

I'm going to borrow the 650B version at some point, as that's the wheel size that interests me more. I'll give a ride report when I can.

Stokeless Asshat
    Just a starter list. Phil Wood. Chris King. Paul Components. Thompson. Hadley. White Industries. You can have custom stems, bars and forks made by a multitude of US builders.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.dirt View Post
    It is probably sacrilegious to post this here. I know this is vintage territory and am likely to be tarred and feathered for bringing this to the table. But I'm confident that there is a lot of historical expertise that is hard to find elsewhere. Report is that CC is putting a 27.5+ Yo Eddy out sometime next year. I'm getting one, they know it, I know it, wife knows it. My $0.02 is that the 27.5+ is a quantum leap for the rocky, rooty, twitchy riding characteristic of NE. It also makes total sense to have it with rigid fork. And we know a Yo without a FC fork is slightly sad.
    What I particularly love about this is it is the opportunity to fuse the old and new. Getting to recapture the feel of a predictable point and shoot rigid and with all the great new things like disc brakes, 1x11 drivetrain, etc...with a fat arse tire gobbling up baby heads etc...
    Question is what are the modern incarnations of the parts that were characteristic of the period. For example Pauls makes some cool mechanical disc brakes. I'd like it to be stuff made by American dudes (Dudettes), not corporations. And no carbon. Alternative is just throw XT all over it and call it a much less expensive day.

Want:

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    B+ is just dumb.

There, I said it. The industry can revoke my bike shop owner card now.

It's just a heavier version of the 29er diameter. I see little added value in that, other than it allows all the remaining 29er haters who grudgingly bought a silly 650B cause the industry told them to, to finally admit that the rollover of a larger diameter is truly a good thing.

Now 29+? That's worth getting excited about. Why? Because it takes what 29ers started, and adds to it. Been riding that almost exclusively for the better part of 3 years, and it'll be pried from my cold dead fingers.

There, I got to be retro grouchy and futuristic all in the same post.

Happy Thanksgiving all, regardless of which wheel size you roll!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    B+ is just dumb.

There, I said it. The industry can revoke my bike shop owner card now.

It's just a heavier version of the 29er diameter. I see little added value in that, other than it allows all the remaining 29er haters who grudgingly bought a silly 650B cause the industry told them to, to finally admit that the rollover of a larger diameter is truly a good thing.

Now 29+? That's worth getting excited about. Why? Because it takes what 29ers started, and adds to it. Been riding that almost exclusively for the better part of 3 years, and it'll be pried from my cold dead fingers.

There, I got to be retro grouchy and futuristic all in the same post.

Happy Thanksgiving all, regardless of which wheel size you roll!
    Ah! Controversy! I come to the internet for this.. the harsher the better.
    Otoh the few rounds around the block on a 29er made it feel like i was riding a tractor. I love my 700c wheels ... on my road bike. And i like riding it all over (way before gravel became a sales pitch or gender on the shop floor). BUT... when it comes to accelerate fast the 26in wheels win. They don't keep the speed as the 700 wheels so i chose 26 for anything that has abrupt technical climbing and 700 for long distance over low to medium grade elevation terrain.
    Everything else that's claimed as superior this and that like traction, velcro like adherence to ground etc.. is about rider skill. And fun factor. I just can't be convinced that heavy mass tires can be fun.

PS: The insanity becomes entertaining when the same people who ditched the "junior 26in wheels" start buying 650B wheels over 700c for road riding.

He be a moose too.
    ...who grudgingly bought a silly 650B cause the industry told them to, to finally admit that the rollover of a larger diameter is truly a good thing...Now 29+?... Because it takes what 29ers started...
    Ok, I'll bite because what a moderator needs is a flame war on a holiday.

I have a custom frame. The industry told me nothing and sold me nothing unless a single frame builder is "the industry". Yes, a little bit grudgingly bought a 650B but the choice was between a 26" & 27.5", no way was it going to be 29". They ride like (as Colker said) tractors for our type of riding (very tight, winding trails, where the constant acceleration out of corners is harder on a 29"). My personal description of 29 is "ponderous". If given the choice of 26 or 29, 26 it would be.

Now here is the vintage hook, 29'ers didn't start it. There were 650B MTB's long, long before there were 29's. Think Ritchey. No, they didn't catch on, that's not the point, but 29'ers didn't start the larger wheel thing.

Friend of mine has been in the bike industry for 35 years said in response to me not really getting the plus size fad, "That's because you know how to ride and don't need it." Ok...flame away. :-)

It's all about fun in the woods, for me at least.

The larger the wheel/tire combo, the greater the fun, for me.

I don't race, so could give a rats behind about ultimate acceleration. Why aren't MTB racers on BMX bikes if smaller is faster off the line? Oh right, because larger diameter wheels have benefits on the trail, hmmm.....

Sure, weight comes into play, which is why, if going +, at least get something out of it besides the same diameter you can have, for less weight.

The B-Fat thing falls into the same category of "why"? Still smaller than 29+, yet heavier. Bring on 29-Fat if you need/want larger than 26-Fat.

I ride tight twisty east coast singletrack, on 29+, manage to keep up comfortably, and not hit trees, crazy, I know.

If it helps to frame my mindset, I'm watching the 36er movement with interest. It may suck, I've never tried one...

I know a few MTB pioneers played with 650B a long time ago, and I respect that, they saw the value in larger diameter, but the market wasn't ready.

Bear in mind, 650B is a post WW2 French size with a very specific purpose in it's creation. That was just before MTB was a twinkle in CK and friends, eyes.....

Bring on bigger, stop trying to sell me halfsies so you can later bring on bigger and sell more stuff all over again.

God I hate the consumeristic marketing BS juggernaut the industry has turned itself into.

Really, I'm in a good mood, I just am crabby about 29+ getting the shaft when it, realistically, started the + movement.

Here, have a little pre, cooked bird reading.

The Big Wheel Mountain Bike Story | Dirt Rag

The industry thinkers as a whole, saw the larger wheel benefits, a long time ago, not that the point wasn't already made, just a good article if you're bored, or sick of crazy family members and need a place to hide.

Hey look, I'm turning the VRC into the 29er board of 8 years ago!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's all about fun in the woods, for me at least.

The larger the wheel/tire combo, the greater the fun, for me.

I don't race, so could give a rats behind about ultimate acceleration. Why aren't MTB racers on BMX bikes if smaller is faster off the line? Oh right, because larger diameter wheels have benefits on the trail, hmmm.....

Sure, weight comes into play, which is why, if going +, at least get something out of it besides the same diameter you can have, for less weight.

The B-Fat thing falls into the same category of "why"? Still smaller than 29+, yet heavier. Bring on 29-Fat if you need/want larger than 26-Fat.

I ride tight twisty east coast singletrack, on 29+, manage to keep up comfortably, and not hit trees, crazy, I know.

If it helps to frame my mindset, I'm watching the 36er movement with interest. It may suck, I've never tried one...

I know a few MTB pioneers played with 650B a long time ago, and I respect that, they saw the value in larger diameter, but the market wasn't ready.

Bear in mind, 650B is a post WW2 French size with a very specific purpose in it's creation. That was just before MTB was a twinkle in CK and friends, eyes.....

Bring on bigger, stop trying to sell me halfsies so you can later bring on bigger and sell more stuff all over again.

God I hate the consumeristic marketing BS juggernaut the industry has turned itself into.

Really, I'm in a good mood, I just am crabby about 29+ getting the shaft when it, realistically, started the + movement.

Here, have a little pre, cooked bird reading.

The Big Wheel Mountain Bike Story | Dirt Rag

The industry thinkers as a whole, saw the larger wheel benefits, a long time ago, not that the point wasn't already made, just a good article if you're bored, or sick of crazy family members and need a place to hide.

Hey look, I'm turning the VRC into the 29er board of 8 years ago!
    Have you ridden a B+? I was skeptical until I got some trail time, and now it is my primary ride. No discernible difference in handling between B+ and a standard 27.5 (or 26 for that matter), and hugely better than the schoolbus handling of 29ers. The extra traction of a 3" tire at 16 PSI makes for a better technical climber and just destroys slow speed techy stuff (loose CT rocks, roots, etc...where there is no dirt to speak of, just debris). Also incredibly smooth...eliminates all the little stuff from small roots and rocks. My 2.8" tires weigh the same as a 29x2.3 with the same casing, so there is no "big heavy tire" disadvantage. Again, as someone who was skeptical color me impressed. I think the future of MTB lies with 27.5+.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

artistic...
    Have you ridden a B+? I was skeptical until I got some trail time, and now it is my primary ride. No discernible difference in handling between B+ and a standard 27.5 (or 26 for that matter), and hugely better than the schoolbus handling of 29ers. The extra traction of a 3" tire at 16 PSI makes for a better technical climber and just destroys slow speed techy stuff (loose CT rocks, roots, etc...where there is no dirt to speak of, just debris). Also incredibly smooth...eliminates all the little stuff from small roots and rocks. My 2.8" tires weigh the same as a 29x2.3 with the same casing, so there is no "big heavy tire" disadvantage. Again, as someone who was skeptical color me impressed. I think the future of MTB lies with 27.5+.
    If i fit a 3.0 tire on my 26in i am about to have a close experience. So, the future seems to be where it was in 1993. When the mtb industry decided to kill the 26in wheel i had enough of the bandwagon and decided i would ride road and cross bikes.

hugely better than the schoolbus handling of 29ers.
    I have, yep, no thanks.

When I went from 26, to 29, I liked what I felt.

When I went from 29, to 29+, I felt as though I'd gotten that whole 29er *improvement* all over again. Why on earth would I be seeking to reduce that quality?

I've never experienced what I quoted above. Not on my first 29er, or any other in between. Ditto for +.

Perhaps it's how or where I ride? I don't race, ever. I ride as hard and fast as I'm capable of most times, and generally keep up with any wheel size, rigid, SS, FS riders I'm with. I don't feel in any way handicapped, in fact my face often aches from grinning so much, and others often comment on how smooth my riding is when I'm on that bike.

I guess either I'm weird, or the industry is benefitting from way too many riders with way too much money, and is figuring creative ways to milk that cow a little longer. Few years from now? OMG, how did we miss the whole 29+ thing 4 years ago????

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have, yep, no thanks.

When I went from 29, to 29+, I felt as though I'd gotten that whole 29er *improvement* all over again. Why on earth would I be seeking to reduce that quality?

I've never experienced what I quoted above. Not on my first 29er, or any other in between. Ditto for +.

Perhaps it's how or where I ride? I don't race, ever. I ride as hard and fast as I'm capable of most times, and generally keep up with any wheel size, rigid, SS, FS riders I'm with. I don't feel in any way handicapped, in fact my face often aches from grinning so much, and others often comment on how smooth my riding is when I'm on that bike.

I guess either I'm weird, or the industry is benefitting from way too many riders with way too much money, and is figuring creative ways to milk that cow a little longer. Few years from now? OMG, how did we miss the whole 29+ thing 4 years ago????

I am thinking I might be the weird one. I have never ridden a 29er that I enjoyed, and I have ridden a crap ton of them in different geos/travels/weights/etc... They all feel sluggish and unflickable to me. The best one I rode was the Cannondale Trigger, felt the most "flickable", but I still preferred my 26" Knolly Endorphin to it any day of the week (also preferr my Phoenix with a 2.5" travel fork to any 29er I have tried). I have tried a few 29+ and it is everything I dislike about 29ers amplified. Slow handling, slow spin up, sluggish and unresponsive in tight, twisty, technical terrain (aka, all the stuff around me). I could see the appeal on smooth flowy singletrack, but if it is smooth and flowy I might as well just rip the cross bike.

artistic...
    I have, yep, no thanks.

what happened to the 29+ Trek, the one w/ elevated stays? That was the best mtb ever from them. I know.. talking about a Trek on a Fat Chance thread. Why not?

He be a moose too.
    Apat, that's pretty much how I feel about things. Most people 'round these parts have 29" and their welcome to their choices but I'll stick w/27.5 (and a number of others around here do that too). I've been places where the trails are much more wide open and not quite so twisty, a 29'er might be the optimum choice there.

As much as I love to hate Trek, they are about the only ones other than Surly, carrying to torch for 29+. I don't sell or follow the brand, so as far as I know, they may have killed that bike faster than they killed Fisher, Klein, Lemond and Bontrager, no idea.

I wonder how much of it is in the word "tried" vs rode for a month.

I found it to be like any other tool. If I ride a bike once or twice, for half an hour, I spend the whole time going "this isn't the same, that's different, this doesn't work like that" etc.

Not in a bad way, it's just how our brains tend to work, we note the differences more readily than the similarities. Any new parent in a hospital can attest, all babies look pretty damn similar, so look for that little wrinkle in the forehead, whatever!

Once you calm that part of your brain down though, you start to go, "oh, so if I do this, that works better, if I don't do that, this now does what I want" etc.

Do larger wheels handle the same as smaller ones? Nope. Do each have tangible things that make them do something well? Sure.

Have I figured out how to get big hoops and sneakers to rip tight single track, by consistently riding them in said single track? Yep.

All that said, hey, whatever blows your hair back.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    As much as I love to hate Trek, they are about the only ones other than Surly, carrying to torch for 29+. I don't sell or follow the brand, so as far as I know, they may have killed that bike faster than they killed Fisher, Klein, Lemond and Bontrager, no idea.

I wonder how much of it is in the word "tried" vs rode for a month.

I found it to be like any other tool. If I ride a bike once or twice, for half an hour, I spend the whole time going "this isn't the same, that's different, this doesn't work like that" etc.

Not in a bad way, it's just how our brains tend to work, we note the differences more readily than the similarities. Any new parent in a hospital can attest, all babies look pretty damn similar, so look for that little wrinkle in the forehead, whatever!

Once you calm that part of your brain down though, you start to go, "oh, so if I do this, that works better, if I don't do that, this now does what I want" etc.

Do larger wheels handle the same as smaller ones? Nope. Do each have tangible things that make them do something well? Sure.

Have I figured out how to get big hoops and sneakers to rip tight single track, by consistently riding them in said single track? Yep.

All that said, hey, whatever blows your hair back.
    A pair of high end 29er wheels will make a huge difference. It will be light and stiff. Cheap 26in wheels are snappy... cheap 29 wheels will be flexy and heavy. Geometry on a 26in bike is easy simple.. on a 29er, your foot will hit the front wheel, there is no stand over.. wheelbase is too long. I remember somewhere in time when the argument pro 29er was "you have to try it w/ good wheels and the right frame". I didn't see the point of Enve wheels... and i still don't see it. 2k wheels. 5k suspension frames. No thank you. A lifetime frame is something else... One of the reasons i found love for road riding is i can ride a 70s race bike and get my wheels and brakes and headsets. The obsolescence around MTBs is wrong and it will kill it. Killing the wheels or replacing them w/ 650B which is much ado about nothing shows how disposable and inconsequential mtb became or trully was since the beginning. Maybe roadies were right.. Sure, why not have another wheel if works better ... but the whole mtb technology kills forks, brakes, rear suspension, wheels in a 5yr span. That's not how i see cycling. All road bicycles make sense. They came to do what the first MTBs were about to do: everyday, everywhere bicycles to go places. You can do it w/ any wheel you want if you tweak the geometry of the frame.

I don't disagree at all colker....

The race of technology has gotten WAY out of hand. What used to be a 5 year cycle of R+D, that was split, every 3rd year road, then MTB on the other, has turned into all new, every year, both types, as well as an ever broadening splitting of hairs, to the benefit of the manufacturers.

Why just get a cross bike, when you plainly can't ride gravel roads on it, and therefore *need* a gravel grinder as well?

Or try to find a threaded bottom bracket road bike anymore. Tech is pushing them in dumb directions too.

Oy.

You don't need Enve wheels to get a good handling, quick off the line 29er, just FYI. Spend 5 bills, and I can make it feel plenty quick.

I don't ride much road any more. Too many of the usual suspect complaints, texters, make up appliers, too many close friends and customers getting nearly killed, etc.

Besides, I usually ride at night, so roads are even less safe.

MTB uses stuff up. As such, used properly, they will go away eventually. I don't mind that, it just means I used it up. But making it impossible to get wheels, headset, or BB for a custom frame I bought a few years ago? That sh*t drives me to drink.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    I don't disagree at all colker....

The race of technology has gotten WAY out of hand. What used to be a 5 year cycle of R+D, that was split, every 3rd year road, then MTB on the other, has turned into all new, every year, both types, as well as an ever broadening splitting of hairs, to the benefit of the manufacturers.

Why just get a cross bike, when you plainly can't ride gravel roads on it, and therefore *need* a gravel grinder as well?

Or try to find a threaded bottom bracket road bike anymore. Tech is pushing them in dumb directions too.

Oy.

You don't need Enve wheels to get a good handling, quick off the line 29er, just FYI. Spend 5 bills, and I can make it feel plenty quick.

I don't ride much road any more. Too many of the usual suspect complaints, texters, make up appliers, too many close friends and customers getting nearly killed, etc.

Besides, I usually ride at night, so roads are even less safe.

MTB uses stuff up. As such, used properly, they will go away eventually. I don't mind that, it just means I used it up. But making it impossible to get wheels, headset, or BB for a custom frame I bought a few years ago? That sh*t drives me to drink.
    It's as if the cycling industry does not take cycling seriously. They treat it like a video game. I can see how a car based society attacks bicycles , one of the few good things in this world, perfect in it's own terms.. I can see how the bicycle goes against the car society values. Now when the cycling industry tries to kill the bond between a cyclist and his machine by making the parts obsolete, then it's helpless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    To both Colker and Mendon--I really don't understand the idea that the industry has made your bikes/parts obsolete. Just because there is not a lot of R+D going into 26" tires right now doesn't mean there aren't a ton of awesome 26" tire choices. Name one BB standard from the last 20 years that you cant get parts for? (Hell, even the old Fat and Merlin pressfit proprietary bearings are still easily attainable). Just because there is new stuff coming out at a very quick pace, does that make your bike any less fun for YOU to ride? It seems to me that most of the complaining about new wheel sizes, new BB's, new hub spacing...etc....is just people getting butthurt because the industry isn't telling them that their expensive bike is the best any more. Is your 5 year old "obsolete" bike any less fun to ride just because someone else can have bigger more fatter tires? Why even bother with a vintage forum if all of the stuff is so obsolete it is practically unrideable?

The way I see it, more choice is more better. How awesome is it that we can have a discussion about the merits of not just competing wheel sizes, but competing tire volumes and widths. In the 90's we had one wheel size, about 1/2" of variance between the biggest and smallest tires, and used road rim profiles to build sketchy and flexy wheels--we couldn't even have these discussions because we didn't have any choice. Now we have dope carbon rims and miracle carbon frames and White industries and Chris King are still making hubs the way they have since the 90's (and you can get ANY conceivable hub spacing from either one!!!). We should be celebrating an era in MTB that lets us fine tune the most minute details of our bikes instead of being forced into the one thing available. Bikes are better than they ever have been, lighter, stronger, faster, and with a perfect size and setup for any rider. How is this bad?

It all comes back to people being pissed that they no longer have the latest and greatest just because someone wanted to experiment with adding a half inch of width to a tire or widening hub flange spacing to build stronger wheels. Hell, remember way back when WTB introduced 140mm rear spacing on the Phoenix to build a stronger wheel that could accommodate an 8 speed cassette? Why aren't you guys all up in arms about that? Instead it is celebrated as one of the awesome innovations and idiosyncrasies we all love about WTB. When Charlie Cunningham was hand building brakes/seatposts/etc....he wasn't slammed for making proprietary parts that out preform everything else available and make other parts obsolete, he was celebrated for his innovation. I really don't understand everyone *****ing about the industry progressing now when so much of why we are here in this forum, why we love and collect all these silly old bikes, is because of all the crazy new and unique stuff so many of these builders did. Stuff that bucked the norm, stuff that created new standards, stuff that was awesome and gave people more choice.

It all comes back to whether or not new innovation makes your bike any less fun. It doesn't. Your bike is still awesome even if it doesn't look like the one on the cover of Mountain Bike Action. Old bikes are still awesome. New bikes are awesome. Pretty much everything we have going here is awesome (except Kleins and Pro-Flexes, and Trek/Fisher URT's, those things ride like crap). More choice is awesome, big tires are awesome, skinny tires a little less awesome. People texting and driving suck. But that's about it--the current state of choice in bikes is flipping awesome.

/Rant Over

artistic...
    Apat13... perspective is all about where you are in case where you shop. I was stranded 4 yrs ago in Mexico trying to find a reasonably light 26in for a rim brake bike. It's harder and harder to find lightweight xc 26in rims in bike shops. Sometimes you can't buy on line. Even if I could...lightweight xc now is 650B. 26in wheels these days mean either heavy DH stuff or cheap walmart. It's not an ego thing... i don't care really. It's about buying what i need and finding a degraded offer just because a new format which is basically the same in function but different in specs was adopted. What's the difference between 650B and a 2.3 lightweight 26in tire when you are out there, on the trails? Tire thread and volume are way more important than the infinitesimal difference between those formats.
    You don't rotate BB and cranks as much as rims and tires but still.. octalinks? good luck. Square taper? good luck.
    If the industry really wanted to sell a superior tire they would be offering tubulars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Last edited by apat13; 11-27-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Sneaker man
    " Spank, Stans, Velocity, etc...all make excellent, lightweight, 26" rims"... yeah only one of those makes non disc rims.

Maybe it's a magic ever supply of everything you ever wanted in your area, but the rest of the world... it's not that stuff is impossible to get, but compared to even last year stuff is getting harder and harder, give it few years and things may be grim.
    Contacted local distrubuters, 26in v brake rims, nup, nup, nup, mavic guys sill had 719's buy em while we sill have stock.
    Yep intenet still has stuff, but the usual places to Australia, CRCand wiggle... not much, sun rhino's is about it...from the US, lots available, but it's more for the post than for the rims, Germany about the same.
    Luckiy I got what I wanted from Merlin, complete custom wheels for less than a decent set of rims here, so I bought them before they disappeared.
    Same with forks, non tapered forks, getting real rare, v brake as well, even worse... not that they don't exist... but like with rims, the stuff that is more available is at the cheap crappier end of the market.

I'm not against new technlogy, i've got discs and 650b an di2 over various bikes, but when it comes to things like rims, running someone elses crusty old used gear doesn't really excite me, so keeping old bikes running is getting harder every year.
    All the gear and no idea.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    " Spank, Stans, Velocity, etc...all make excellent, lightweight, 26" rims"... yeah only one of those makes non disc rims.

Maybe it's a magic ever supply of everything you ever wanted in your area, but the rest of the world... it's not that stuff is impossible to get, but compared to even last year stuff is getting harder and harder, give it few years and things may be grim.
    Contacted local distrubuters, 26in v brake rims, nup, nup, nup, mavic guys sill had 719's buy em while we sill have stock.
    Yep intenet still has stuff, but the usual places to Australia, CRCand wiggle... not much, sun rhino's is about it...from the US, lots available, but it's more for the post than for the rims, Germany about the same.
    Luckiy I got what I wanted from Merlin, complete custom wheels for less than a decent set of rims here, so I bought them before they disappeared.
    Same with forks, non tapered forks, getting real rare, v brake as well, even worse... not that they don't exist... but like with rims, the stuff that is more available is at the cheap crappier end of the market.

I'm not against new technlogy, i've got discs and 650b an di2 over various bikes, but when it comes to things like rims, running someone elses crusty old used gear doesn't really excite me, so keeping old bikes running is getting harder every year.
    Not to mention that a 90s rigid 26in w/ the right tires (compass) makes an awesome long distance gravel bike or an awesome tourer or an awesome commuter. Why condemm millions of bikes to garbage just because there is a new buzz word: 650B?
    That's zero responsability and dumb engineering. HOw come 650B plus is so awesome but a 26in wheel w/ 2.5 tires svck? How come 650B + has a magic roll over , velcro like traction but a 26in wheel/2.5 tire combo "has no momentum"? What a load of BS disguised as techno.

mtbr member
    page 24 I posted a couple pictures of my 1989 Fat Chance Team Comp, stolen 26 years ago.

Name:  1992 Fat Chance Team Comp side view (resized).jpg
Views: 445
Size:  189.8 KB

Well, amazingly, I found it...

Official FAT chance thread-16911032_710628395785854_550592474_o.jpg

And its being shipped back to me right now!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by shamobius View Post
    page 24 I posted a couple pictures of my 1989 Fat Chance Team Comp, stolen 26 years ago.

Name:  1992 Fat Chance Team Comp side view (resized).jpg
Views: 445
Size:  189.8 KB

Well, amazingly, I found it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16911032_710628395785854_550592474_o.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1124406

And its being shipped back to me right now!
    Man... this needs a tv series episode. It could get very emotional. Emmys!

mtbr member
    There are a couple other threads on it already elsewhere. I will do a restoration tale here when the time comes.

I made first contact with the long lost frame here:

Team Comp? - FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

and the full story is unfolding here:

Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!! | Retrobike

gobsmacked Moderator

Official FAT chance thread

Amazing story. Blown away actually. By the way, I think you took great photos back then.

I am super stoked you got it back. I hope you take the time to start a new thread here with the tale of your reunion and getting it back to order. Shout out what parts you need. Maybe we can help. Let's make you whole.

I love those team comps. Nothing like them out there.

artistic...
    There are a couple other threads on it already elsewhere. I will do a restoration tale here when the time comes.

I made first contact with the long lost frame here:

Team Comp? - FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

and the full story is unfolding here:

Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!! | Retrobike
    I remember the post on fatcogs about the kona which seemed to be a Fat... i have not been on fatcogs for quite a while and did not see the follow through. WoW!! What a wonderfull story that is. Indeed. And a testament to the uniqueness of custom bikes: was it a production bike you would never have it back.

mtbr member
    I remember the post on fatcogs about the kona which seemed to be a Fat... i have not been on fatcogs for quite a while and did not see the follow through. WoW!! What a wonderfull story that is. Indeed. And a testament to the uniqueness of custom bikes: was it a production bike you would never have it back.
    Incredible story! Please keep us updated thank you!
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Amazing story. Blown away actually. By the way, I think you took great photos back then.

I am super stoked you got it back. I hope you take the time to start a new thread here with the tale of your reunion and getting it back to order. Shout out what parts you need. Maybe we can help. Let's make you whole.

I love those team comps. Nothing like them out there.
    Thanks girlonbike. Indeed, without the pictures this never would have happened, as it was the only real concrete proof of ownership I had. Over the last couple years I have been collecting parts for a late 80s build, but without any particular frame in mind. Incredible to think that I had been setting parts aside for my old Team Comp...

The only components I need at this point are a set of Ground Control 'S' Kevlar tires (in rideable condition), a pair of Suntour XC Comp pedals (pre XC Pro), and a yellow Specialized water bottle cage (alloy not plastic). I think I have everything else.

And yes I remember the bike had an amazing ride quality, best I had ever experienced. I cannot wait to put it back together. I am planning an exact restoration to the day I lost it, paint and parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    My one and only Fat Chance, a 1995 (I think) Yo Eddy with the Sapphire Fade paint job.

I was building it as a period correct 3x8 with XTR M952 and XT M737 but got the itch to modernize it. A brand new XT M8000 1x11 group will be here on Monday. XTR M950 brakes will stay on the bike. Mavic 517/Chris King wheelset.

Do I run XT M730 or XC Pro pedals?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

He be a moose too.
    Go with the XC Pro. XT, while good, are pretty common. This question just made me decide to take off the XT's on one bike and put on some XC Pros I've had sitting around for a long time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    Go with the XC Pro. XT, while good, are pretty common. This question just made me decide to take off the XT's on one bike and put on some XC Pros I've had sitting around for a long time.
    I like the M730 the best of any pedal, new or old, but the XC Pro look nicer and are lighter. I have M730, M731, MT60, M735, XC Pro and old XC Compe (pre xc pro) to choose from.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I don't think it really matters since your build is all over the decades. Just choose what you like best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I do have a M952 xtr group I may use if the 1x11 is too crazy for the bike. I change my mind way too often...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    It's all finished with the M8000 group, Chris King/Mavic 517 wheels, M950 XTR brakes.

I also ordered a brand new Aquafade Yo Eddy 2.2 frame on Thursday and will probably do another M8000/Chris King build.

mtbr member
    Nice work. That's how I like to setup my vintage bikes; with great functioning newer tech. I'll post up some pics of my 89' Wicked Fat Resto-Mod when I get all of the right pieces in place.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    What I've seen cannot be unseen. Share the current pics man!

mtbr member
    In the beginning:

1989 Fat Chance Team Comp side view by shamalama88, on Flickr

The lost years:

16911032_710628395785854_550592474_o by shamalama88, on Flickr

Rising from the ashes:

20170428_183016 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170429_100225 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170429_100241 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Resurrection:

1989 Fat Chance TC original build new paint by 1989 Fat Chance TC original build new paint by shamalama88, on Flickrflickr.com/photos/41091353@N00/]shamalama88[/url], on Flickr

artistic...
    Details, man, details! Whatīs the full build? Well done. Is the fat logo on the DT a bit bigger?

mtbr member

1989 Wicked Fat Chance

Well this isn't the final configuration, but it is fun to ride. The dirt is complements of the last few rides.

Official FAT chance thread-img_0811.jpgOfficial FAT chance thread-img_0812.jpgOfficial FAT chance thread-img_0813.jpg

I bought the frame, fork, post and a few other bits. The frame was rough so I had it powder coated and added the decals. I like more of a modern cockpit, thus the riser bars and 1 x 10 drive train. The Wolf Tooth NW 34 tooth front ring works fantastic.

I'd like to get some nicer and more cohesive parts on it down the road. Maybe a Thompson post, stem and bars and some Pauls brakes.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

gobsmacked Moderator
    In the beginning:

Resurrection:

Deserving of its own thread. Lovely. Thanks for bringing the vintage back! Clips and straps to boot! Love the color combo and the falling stars. Who painted it?

mtbr member
    Thanks girl! And you are right, I will give this bike its own thread, just as soon as I get back from: Toxik Harald's Show n' Shine this Sunday May 7th over in Vancouver!!!

Toxik Harald Strasser did the paint job, I couldn't be happier...

20170428_182054 by shamalama88, on Flickr

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    Well this isn't the final configuration, but it is fun to ride. The dirt is complements of the last few rides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0811.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	1135618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0812.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	1135619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0813.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	1135620

I bought the frame, fork, post and a few other bits. The frame was rough so I had it powder coated and added the decals. I like more of a modern cockpit, thus the riser bars and 1 x 10 drive train. The Wolf Tooth NW 34 tooth front ring works fantastic.

I'd like to get some nicer and more cohesive parts on it down the road. Maybe a Thompson post, stem and bars and some Pauls brakes.
    I like that.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Thanks girl! And you are right, I will give this bike its own thread, just as soon as I get back from: Toxik Harald's Show n' Shine this Sunday May 7th over in Vancouver!!!

Toxik Harald Strasser did the paint job, I couldn't be happier...

20170428_182054 by shamalama88, on Flickr
    Oohhh. Thanks for the info. If you see a small toad, you know who to PM! :P

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Anyone here own, or at least ridden, one of the new Yo Eddy 2.0/1/2 yet? There are still very few ride reports out there, even Fatcogs seems dead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    By this time next week my new 2.1 should be rolling. It's been a long 4 months and I'm ready to hit the trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Tough choice for my Sunday night river ride...

the new Gilbert Grape
    Here are a couple of pics of my latest Fat. It's not period correct; it was built (as much as possible) from parts in my parts bin. When I needed to buy something I tried to keep the price in check. The drive train is mostly Shimano DX, and most of the components fit into the "blue collar classics" thread.

Thanks to G for the fork, and thanks to ER for helping get the fork repaired!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official FAT chance thread-1115171015.jpg  

Official FAT chance thread-1115171015b.jpg  

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

artistic...
    MOre pictures or descriptions, please. 21 in Fat Chance, not wicked.. so the fork would be a 2.0 rake.
    I like that crankset. NIce build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Here are a couple of pics of my latest Fat. It's not period correct; it was built (as much as possible) from parts in my parts bin. When I needed to buy something I tried to keep the price in check. The drive train is mostly Shimano DX, and most of the components fit into the "blue collar classics" thread.

Thanks to G for the fork, and thanks to ER for helping get the fork repaired!!
    Those hubs are fantastic...Bullseye? I love those Bontrager saddles...so comfy. Who did the fork repair for you? ER is welding now ;P ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Slowly building the 93 Yo as funds allow. Complete XTR m900 build minus the headset. Still need a single Mavic 231 rim, m900 Canti springs/hardware and m900 cranks to finish it. I'd love to find a Tange Struts segmented fork for it but the Tange will have to do for now.

the new Gilbert Grape
    The frame is a 21" Wicked, labeled as a Wicked Lite during a repaint at some point in it's past. I'm not sure of the fork rake, but it works well with the frame - it's a stable ride. The hubs are rasta Bullseye, also from ER via Keyesville years ago.

The fork had damaged threads and the steerer was too short. Dale Saso replaced the steerer.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

artistic...
    The frame is a 21" Wicked, labeled as a Wicked Lite during a repaint at some point in it's past. I'm not sure of the fork rake, but it works well with the frame - it's a stable ride. The hubs are rasta Bullseye, also from ER via Keyesville years ago.

The fork had damaged threads and the steerer was too short. Dale Saso replaced the steerer.
    How do you like it? You are a fan of Bontragers which have steeper seat angles and lower bb.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    Slowly building the 93 Yo as funds allow. Complete XTR m900 build minus the headset. Still need a single Mavic 231 rim, m900 Canti springs/hardware and m900 cranks to finish it. I'd love to find a Tange Struts segmented fork for it but the Tange will have to do for now.

Get a Marzocchi Bomber Z2

the new Gilbert Grape
    How do you like it? You are a fan of Bontragers which have steeper seat angles and lower bb.
    I don't have enough miles on this frame to make a judgment on this frame. I wanted to try a Wicked because I've owning several Yo Eddy frames in the past and as much as I've wanted to like them I never have. At lower speeds I like the way they handle, but at higher speeds they're kind of blah (to me). Hopefully the Wicked is better.

artistic...
    I don't have enough miles on this frame to make a judgment on this frame. I wanted to try a Wicked because I've owning several Yo Eddy frames in the past and as much as I've wanted to like them I never have. At lower speeds I like the way they handle, but at higher speeds they're kind of blah (to me). Hopefully the Wicked is better.
    well... they are not the best bike for going very fast.They are very good at slow speed technical trails. Fun to ride. Compliant over ruts etc..

I want to try a Bontrager. I am not sure about that 74degr seat angle when riding down anything choppy but i will try it.

the new Gilbert Grape
    well... they are not the best bike for going very fast.

I want to try a Bontrager. I am not sure about that 74degr seat angle when riding down anything choppy but i will try it.
    Make sure you have a set back seat post and slide the saddle back as fas as possible. And as must as I like Bontragers, their strongest point is not steep rough downhills - they are great climbers and a lot of fun in tight single track.

To me the Yo Eddy is fun for slow "pick your way" through a rock garden riding (almost like a trials bike). However, where I live the trails are more wide open, higher speed, and not particularly technical. Bikes need to be be able to go fast down hill, and sill be able to do well on steep and long climbs. It's not uncommon to climb 1,000 meters and then turn around and go downhill for the same.

artistic...
    Make sure you have a set back seat post and slide the saddle back as fas as possible. And as must as I like Bontragers, their strongest point is not steep rough downhills - they are great climbers and a lot of fun in tight single track.

To me the Yo Eddy is fun for slow "pick your way" through a rock garden riding (almost like a trials bike). However, where I live the trails are more wide open, higher speed, and not particularly technical. Bikes need to be be able to go fast down hill, and sill be able to do well on steep and long climbs. It's not uncommon to climb 1,000 meters and then turn around and go downhill for the same.
    I grew up as a mountain biker on trails which are mostly slippery off camber rooted paths through the forest. You ride them in sections. 50 inches sometimes is a do or donīt section. I wish i had a fat chance when i was riding those trails.. I had the exact opposite. A bike like the wicked is born for those trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Where the heck did you get a white Yo fork???

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WeR138 View Post
    Where the heck did you get a white Yo fork???
    Me? If so it was a NOS employee owned fork with uncut steerer that was never used up until a couple years ago. The guy I bought the frame/fork from painted it white himself. I plan on having it painted to match the frame eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    Me? If so it was a NOS employee owned fork with uncut steerer that was never used up until a couple years ago. The guy I bought the frame/fork from painted it white himself. I plan on having it painted to match the frame eventually.

Got it - Thanks. I've been looking for one for a number of years to complete a project. I never see them usually.

mtbr member
    Iím the original owner of a 1997 Yo and always wanted a Slim. Well I got this last week and will be building it up soon.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Nice! I rode a Chris Chance frame for several years in the very early 2000s and always liked it. I have a Slim Chance frame in my basement waiting to be built up.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213